PDA

View Full Version : Washing with baking soda

ArienEllariel
August 19th, 2012, 05:01 PM
So I just wanted to say I did my first BS wash tonight. My hair is soooo soft. I had oiled my hair with coconut oil before hand as I didn't want to end up with dry hair. Followed up with an ACV rinse and WOW can I say my hair feels great! It's not dry yet but all in all, I'd call this a success. I kinda just eyeballed the BS.. somewhere round 2tbsp. to enough water to make it a thin paste. Anyways, just wanted to say I was very skeptical for if this would work for me but I can say it worked very well! Try it!

Arakazi
August 19th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Whenever I do a clarify (just with BS and shampoo) My ratio is about 1teaspoon BS to 3 teaspoons conefree shampoo. I did one last week and afterwards I followed up with an SMT I left in over night.
My hair felt fantastic!!!!

I'm glad you had a good experience! :D

heyshortyhey
August 19th, 2012, 05:32 PM
You know, I actually haven't tried a BS wash before. Huh. I might have to! I've tried ACV. It makes my hair super soft, but also very poofy and the curl seems to fall out. Maybe I'm usingtoo much.

Arakazi
August 19th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Well if you haven't done it before you definitely should. It just gets rid of all the build up in your hair. Make sure to do a treatment of some kind afterwards.

Wildcat Diva
August 19th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I use baking soda wash to clarify once every couple of months at present. Pleased with the results.

jextxadore
August 20th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Last week I had an extremely successful BS wash followed with black tea. These past few days, every BS wash I've done has left my hair feeling extremely sticky…I think I'm not using enough BS. But yes, done correctly, it's better than any shampoo I've ever tried.

Tomorrow I'll try ~1.5-2 tbsp. to 500-600ml of hot water.

heidi w.
August 20th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Baking Soda should not be used for merely washing the hair. I know people like it, but it can be very drying. This means that one is essentially clarifying their hair every time they wash their hair, that is, stripping the hair nude. Not a great idea, really.

heidi w.

hybrise
August 20th, 2012, 10:10 AM
I like BS for the occasional clarifying rinse (followed by my typical ACV) but when I got excited by those results and was washing with it every two days my hair HATED me. Too much of a good thing, I guess.

jojo
August 20th, 2012, 06:00 PM
My hair hates bs every time I've tried clarifying with it I get straw like hair but glad it worked for you.

WaitingSoLong
August 20th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Jojo...your siggy....LOL :bigeyes: :spitting: :laugh:

Oh and all this talk about Baking Soda...:bs:

sharonluvscats
August 20th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I just started using baking soda and avc rinses this month. I love them. I mix in a little bit of baking soda with my sulfate free shampoo. My hair loves it.

magicatt
August 29th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Baking Soda should not be used for merely washing the hair. I know people like it, but it can be very drying. This means that one is essentially clarifying their hair every time they wash their hair, that is, stripping the hair nude. Not a great idea, really.

Actually, as with everything else, it's a question of moderation. Shampoo also strips hair of oil but if it's doing too much stripping you dilute it. I use a dilute mix of 1 Tbs baking soda to 8oz water. This is the amount of baking soda that cleans but doesn't strip my hair--your mileage may vary. I mix this in a bottle and then only use what I need to as I wash my hair. I make a 16 oz bottle and get two or three washes out of it. I find that baking soda in water (the Cloudy Water Method I've seen mentioned elsewhere on the web) keeps the baking soda from being too concentrated at any one spot on my scalp or hair. I also use a diluted lime juice rinse and a cone-free conditioner. I have used baking soda every day as a shampoo for a while now and couldn't be happier.

spidermom
August 29th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Amazing the variation; my hair matts up like felt if I use baking soda - it's horrible!