PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for my hair?

GrowingOut
August 19th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Hello! This is my first thread.

I have hair that is Just about to touch my butt, (There if I pull), and I can't say I've been the nicest to it. It's tough though, at medium thickness and a nice chocolate brown. My offenses are:

* A Paddle Brush, with plastic bristles, ((None of those dreaded line thingies though))

*Braids or ponytails, elastic in the same spot. ((Scrunchy on the ponytail though, so no see able damage, and only 20-30 minuets at a time.))

*It's hitting the length where I could sit on it, but not yet. ~2-6 months to go((Yay and eek!))

*COTTON PILLOWCASE :steam And we don't own silk ones/I'd feel bad asking my mom to take me to the store to buy all these things.

However:

*My hair is virgin.

*I hate styling with chemicals/flat irons, the last time I used hairspray I was 5. ((13 now))

*My simplicity might have saved me, as I don't do damaging/crazy styles.

*My mom might let me start doing the vinegar treatments, where you spray it in, ((With a lot of water first)), then finger comb.

So, if you have tips/tutorials on some of the amazing hairstyles I see here, and how to protect my hair from 'The Need For A Big Chop,' Help. It's not damaged badly, and I hope to prevent that from happening.

jacqueline101
August 19th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Hair skin and nail vitamins monistat and patients.

GrowingOut
August 19th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Hair skin and nail vitamins monistat and patients.
I've been looking into those.

Would this: http://www.hairstimulator.net/ordervitamins.htm

work?

RitaPG
August 19th, 2012, 05:34 PM
First, I don't really think a paddle brush is that bad. I have one too and barely have breakage. For me, it depends on how you detangle, if you do it gently and without pulling and snapping at your hair, you should be fine.

Scrunchies are okay, but if you think the elastics at the end are increasing the breakage, I'd suggest going for hairstick buns. Some are very quick to make and comfortable, and you can redo them during the day at any time.

Why would you feel bad about asking your mum to buy you a satin/silk pillowcase? Just tell her you heard it's more comfortable and you'd like to try one. Or you can buy a satin scarf and use it around the pillow - I am too lazy and always forget to look for pillowcases, but one day while shopping for clothes I found a satin scarf and decided to buy it for that :D

The best thing to prevent damage to the hair is keeping it clean, moisturize when needed and protective styling. A good place to start is the articles section on hair styling http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=category&categoryid=1

What is your routine right now?

GrowingOut
August 19th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I'd feel bad asking my mum because I'm trying to look into lessons for Fencing and German, and I don't like asking for much.

I'll try and fine some good hair sticks, and thanks for the link!

Right now, my routine is:

Wake up after sleeping with my hair loose.

Fight the knots, bottom to top, then leave alone.

Leave loose all day, unless during a running day on XC, a braid will do.

Tie hair in loose-ish ponytail at gym, so 2-3 times a week due to school.

Buns if I have to do something messy.

Brush if tangled before bed.

katfemme89
August 19th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I'd feel bad asking my mum because I'm trying to look into lessons for Fencing and German, and I don't like asking for much.

How often do you wash it? And what do you use to shampoo and condition?

earthnut
August 19th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I don't think the things you are doing are bad enough to worry about. For me, the most important thing is conditioning well and not using much if any shampoo.

As far as a satin pillowcase, you don't need anything fancy. I got really cheap ones that work great here: http://www.carolwrightgifts.com/

RitaPG
August 19th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Your routine seems pretty normal to me, but I'd go for a braid in gym classes. It helps prevent tangles and damage from all the movements.
I'd try to keep it bunned for the better part of the day. At your length, your hair is more susceptible to mechanical damage; things like leaning your back against a chair, or sitting on your hair, bring a lot of stress to the strands. Even nature can be damaging, too much sun can dry it out and too much wind will tangle and break it.
Because hair doesn't hurt, we don't notice those things, but eventually they do cause a lot of breakage. I believe that keeping it protected in a braid or bun is key.

Some of those hairstyles on the articles sections are a little tricky, though, I just found some easy buns that I do all the time.
Hope these are helpful :)

Lazy wrap bun. I swear I do this everyday, super quick and practical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omw2szlWRU8&feature=related

Figure 8 bun. A little more fancy I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyc-1cT9_AE

French braid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JMksOwdznA&list=UUbUv5AOMgH2re_UTZQ3m9FA&index=6&feature=plcp

Dutch braid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l89rKBye2hY&list=UUbUv5AOMgH2re_UTZQ3m9FA&index=5&feature=plcp

Sock bun. I actually don't do this very often but it looks very nice and neat, and works wekk on special occasions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvTXpwhTzrY&list=UUbUv5AOMgH2re_UTZQ3m9FA&index=10&feature=plcp

Madora
August 19th, 2012, 08:48 PM

If you want healthy, beautiful hair, you're going to have to change your hair care regime.

1) Sleeping with your hair loose is an open invitation to tangles.
Try braiding it.

2) Fighting knots is a sure way to end up with damaged hair. Proper detangling helps in keeping your hair looking beautiful and not damaged. Here is an article on detangling with a wide tooth comb:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=230

3) Leaving it loose all day is a sure way to Tangle City...and if you don't detangle regularly during the day, you'll pay the price at the end of the day. Learn to wear your hair up.

4) Never, EVER, brush tangled hair!!! You always detangle with a wide tooth comb! Detangling tangled hair with a brush is asking for damage.

5) Ditch those plastic bristles! Plastic or nylon is not good for your hair.

6) There is nothing wrong with cotton pillowcases as long as the thread count is high enough.

Long, beautiful hair boils down to treating it gently with the proper tools, learning how to wear it up, and having plenty of patience as you work toward your goal.

Asprettyasme
August 19th, 2012, 09:06 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

blondie9912
August 19th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Madora gave you excellent advice! Also, if your parents are willing to pay for it, get a pair of hair scissors and do some search and destroy (go through your hair in small sections and individually trim every hair that has a split on it, while leaving the healthy ones alone). If you can't get a good pair of hair scissors, though, don't try to use regular scissors or nail clippers (or anything else that isn't intended for hair) for that purpose, because the dull blade will do more harm than good.

Dang3rousB3auty
August 20th, 2012, 03:23 AM
I think having virgin hair and not using any heat you are doing pretty good. Maybe just tweak a couple things that were mentioned above and your hair should look awesome :)

sun-kissed
August 20th, 2012, 07:26 AM
I'm curious, since I didn't see it in your first post, what texture is your hair?

GrowingOut
September 2nd, 2012, 05:37 PM
I'm curious, since I didn't see it in your first post, what texture is your hair?

Edited it now. It's M, ii, and 1-2

spidermom
September 2nd, 2012, 05:44 PM
You could wait and put satin pillowcase on your Christmas or birthday wish list. Try a braid before bed. I do my braid from the top of my head so that I can direct it over the top of my pillow and not roll over it. Also learn some styles for wearing it up. The Articles here are a good place to check, also YouTube.

Welcome!

Crazycatlady
September 2nd, 2012, 08:03 PM
If you have another item of clothing that's silky, like a night gown or slip (maybe your mom has one) you can wrap it around your pillow. I do this sometimes with an old silk shirt. : )

bunnylake
September 2nd, 2012, 08:13 PM
An alternative to a satin pillowcase would be a satin sleeping cap!
For detangling, gently use your fingers or wide toothed comb from the bottom upwards, and then a boar bristle brush just for smoothing.
Since you don't overstyle or do anything too damaging really, you've got a really great start and I wouldn't worry too much.
:)

Bunnysaur
September 2nd, 2012, 08:24 PM
I don't think the things you are doing are bad enough to worry about. For me, the most important thing is conditioning well and not using much if any shampoo.

As far as a satin pillowcase, you don't need anything fancy. I got really cheap ones that work great here: http://www.carolwrightgifts.com/

Walmart has super cheap satin-y pillowcases for like $2.50.

BrownEyedBeauty
September 4th, 2012, 07:10 AM
I don't have a satin pillowcase but I do have satin pajamas and I find them staticky. Therefore, I use a cotton pillowcase too.:neutral: