PDA

View Full Version : Things that affect wave/curl pattern

Iolanthe13
August 19th, 2012, 12:55 AM
So after six months or so of better care, I was concerned about losing my waves and volume (as both seemed to be emphasised by the damage). I was worried henna and cassia would loosen my waves, too. But yesterday I finally had time to let my hair dry untouched, and had the sort of frizz-free spirals I used to have as a teenager.

I've seen a lot of people here discover their waves or curls and have them improve with time and the curly girl method, and I'm wondering if hair needs to dry untouched often to retain its wave pattern. My question is, am I hurting my wave pattern with damp bunning and braiding, as well as some brushing and combing? These things don't seem to cause damage, but I don't want to lose my wurls, either. I'm doing roots only with my henna-cassia mix, so that shouldn't have any more effect on the lengths.

earthnut
August 19th, 2012, 01:06 AM
You won't lose your waves and curls permanently with those methods, but you will lose them temporarily. Simply wetting your hair and letting it dry untouched will restore a lot of the wave, and the longer you refrain from combing, brushing, and pulling your hair - and the more moisture you give your hair - the curlier your hair will get and the clumpier the curls will get.

Evadne
August 19th, 2012, 02:35 AM
I second what earthnut said. I've noticed the wurls and waves tend to form better with little to no interference while they air dry. Of course if I comb, brush or fiddle with it they seperate and frizz up, but they always form again after a wash if I don't interfere.

I wouldn't be too worried about losing the pattern from braiding and the like. I've only recently started taking better care of my hair (have lots of damage - bleach and heat), and the curls still form no problem after a wash. You aren't damaging your hair nearly as much as I was with that stuff so if mine's still good, you should be fine!

starry
August 19th, 2012, 02:46 AM
water only affected my waves- made them hang limp like spaghetti after about 3 months.. was terrible.. I agree with the ladies about about damp bunning etc.. I still finger comb and end up with pouffy "dodgy straight" hair.. this goes when next I wash.

MissAlida
August 19th, 2012, 03:08 AM
You just need to learn to not touch your hair. That is the best way to have nice vurls and curls. Just wash it, part it, maybe scrunch it with oils, gel, mousse or whatever, then let it be. Don't comb, don't brush, don't braid, and don't touch. You'll get used to it in time. And your hair will get curlier the more time passes without combing.:)

ETA: I you use gel or mousse, you will have to put them in your hair when your hair is wet, let your hair dry, and then you'll have to scrunch them out- to brake up the hardness of the product. But mousse leaves me with some pretty smooth shiny curls.

Iolanthe13
August 19th, 2012, 03:09 AM
You won't lose your waves and curls permanently with those methods, but you will lose them temporarily. Simply wetting your hair and letting it dry untouched will restore a lot of the wave, and the longer you refrain from combing, brushing, and pulling your hair - and the more moisture you give your hair - the curlier your hair will get and the clumpier the curls will get.

That makes sense. I've been considering giving up brushes and combs entirely for a little while to see if my curls become more reliable. I see from your profile that you don't really brush or comb - do you wear your hair up? If so, how do you manage without crushing all the curls?

KwaveT
August 19th, 2012, 07:22 PM
I have been debating only combing and brushing my hair on wash day. The only thing about it is that my hair looks fairly wild after sleeping on it all night. I do notice that my curls are my alive and spiraling on my wash days since I let it airdry untouched.