PDA

View Full Version : indigo minus the henna?

shadeshaman
August 18th, 2012, 09:50 PM
My hair currently has blue ends. I've used a semi-permanent dye over bleached hair. I like the blue. Would kinda like not to have to use conventional chemical dyes--wondering if indigo minus the henna would work. Any info out there for blue-haired weirdos like me?

shadeshaman
August 19th, 2012, 12:30 PM
So, I found information on one page about using indigo to go blue. http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/jonathan/

Has anyone done this?

akilina
August 19th, 2012, 01:15 PM
From my understandings you can not just put indigo on your hair.
It needs henna to stick to.
Never tried it though.
You could always do a two step henna then indigo process, and put a blue dye on like manic panic.

I don't think you will be able to achieve what you want without henna.

pink.sara
August 19th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Tried it on my bleached hair. It didn't work.
I ended up with a bluey/greeney/grey.
It was vile, it washed out super fast as there was no henna to adhere to and now I can't even bleach it out of the ends, there's a permanent green hue in certain lights. Luckily I removed the rest with colour b4 and can cover it easily.

ETA: No offence intended to Johnathan on the henna for hair website but I think that looks awful. He was aiming for anime blue, and that's grey green purple and yellow. :(

cmg
August 19th, 2012, 06:01 PM
He did this on purpose. :bigeyes: He bleached off some parts to make it look that way. I'm surpsrised he could make the indigo stick as much as it did with all that tweaking going on.

Even so, I think the only ones looking good with pure indigo are those with already dark hair.

It gets greyish-bluish on hair and bright blue on skin and fibers like cotton. To make it really blue on natural hair it takes mordants and other stuffs to treat the hair before and after. And even then it may washes away with the next wash as well as not being light stable. Hair is not like the blue chinese clothes or jeans.

/ CMG