PDA

View Full Version : HELP! How to get Beeswax out of hair?!

legendya
August 18th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Hi,
I have curly hair and I made a hair pomade with Cocoa Butter, almond oil, beeswax, and vitamin E. I used a little and now I can’t remove it from my hair. I tried castile soap and diluted ACV. I even used Shea moisture shampoo (and I’m no poo). Then 2 days later, I tried using pepsi cola then baking soda then shea moisture shampoo and then vinegar. Then about 4 days later I used apple cider vinegar and bentonite clay. my hair is dry and stiff from the washings and it seems the beeswax is still there. I do not want to use chemicals. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

CurlyCap
August 18th, 2012, 02:42 AM
I dunno.

I've had this happen before, but I actually liked the feeling of the wax. It's a longer term seal and usually lasted at least a week or so. This was a benefit because then I only washed about once a week.

I'd actually just co-wash for a week or two and let it fade away. But if you're determined to have it gone, I'd do a super oil soak to loosen up the wax, and then co-wash the oil out.

juliaxena
August 18th, 2012, 02:43 AM
When I was still using bleach on my hair I would slather on vaseline on the lenght to protect it. We are talking huge amounts here. I had to shampoo like 8 times but I always got it off in the washing session after the bleach.

julliams
August 18th, 2012, 03:21 AM
I would slather my hair in conditioner, tie a plastic bag around your head and put a heated cap on my head. This would provide some slip and the heat might aid in melting it. It will also give your hair some much needed moisture after all that washing.

clairenewcastle
August 18th, 2012, 04:29 AM
I'd problems getting beeswax out of my hair years ago and ended up making my hair very dry by trying various methods of removing it so I understand what you're going through.

Lots of oil to loosen it following by a clarifying shampoo - then use nothing but clarifying shampoo for the next few washes. That's what works for me when I experiment with stuff in my hair.
Once your hair is completely clarified then you can go back to no-poo - good luck!

MissAlida
August 18th, 2012, 04:34 AM
I say use a strong shampoo, even if you don't want to. Then deep condition it. You will do more harm than good by trying all those acidic rinses etc. You can go back to no poo once you're hair is clean.;)

PolarCathy
August 18th, 2012, 05:24 AM
I recommend a soaking heavy oiling till it emulsifies the wax, then rinse out most of it, and soak up the rest with cornstarch. Repeat if necessary.

But I think two or three soaks with some cheap conditioner (that has no additives) should work as well...

legendya
August 19th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks for replying. I'll try doing an oiling (long overdue) and co washing. I was wondeing if co washes really remove oil well. Do they leave buildup on the scalp? just bought Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle conditioner...would that work well?

Dorothy
August 19th, 2012, 05:50 PM
My experience is that conditioner is better than shampoo for getting oil out of your hair.

lionessmane
August 19th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Well, the only substance that seems to remove any sort of buildup from my hair is baking soda. Perhaps try washing with a lot of baking soda. I know that Mane n' Tale conditioner has emulsified wax in it. Perhaps if you soak your hair in the Mane n' Tale conditioner it will loosen the bees wax.

Don't worry, it may take some time, but I think the bees wax will eventually come out naturally. I'm sorry to say this, but at the very least your experience has been helpful to other people on the board who might be thinking of using beeswax in their hair (me! *gulp* ).

legendya
August 21st, 2012, 02:34 AM
Hey lionessmane,
Whatever you do, don't use beeswax on your hair. It's super hard to wash out. For me, it made my hair stiff and crispy. It was not worth a few days with less frizz.