PDA

View Full Version : my at-work oiling; I like this

spirals
August 18th, 2012, 12:00 AM
I made it good and greasy this morning and braided it. It was oiled 9 1/2 hours before washing. After I rinsed out the conditioner my hair had so much slip it was unbelievable. Now that it's dry it's soft as silk. Even my ends are better. I used a combination of sunflower oil and glycerin. I'm tryng coconut oil next time.

Mya
August 18th, 2012, 12:21 AM
I'm tryng coconut oil next time.
Nooooooes! :tmi:

MintChocChip
August 18th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Nooooooes! :tmi:

Seconded! Do not try that, I've done it, bad news. :( It was a nightmare to get out, took me I don't know, 4 washes?

julliams
August 18th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Try lite coconut milk in your hair for an hour before washing and conditioning. Works wonders for me.

kidari
August 18th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Try lite coconut milk in your hair for an hour before washing and conditioning. Works wonders for me.

I completely, whole-heatedly agree with this! You cannot leave the house when you are letting it soak though. I always wrap it in a plastic bag and then go over that tightly with a microfiber turban.

kme81
August 18th, 2012, 01:28 AM
Coconut oil works for some and not others! It works for me, my advice would be to try it. If it is really bad news, then it is really bad news. :) But if it works...awesome!

julliams
August 18th, 2012, 03:16 AM
I completely, whole-heatedly agree with this! You cannot leave the house when you are letting it soak though. I always wrap it in a plastic bag and then go over that tightly with a microfiber turban.

I actually do - that's when I take my walk or run. I just put it up in a bun. If some drips down my neck I don't care - it keeps me cool. The trick is to only use a third of a can and that way it's not too drippy.

Carolyn
August 18th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Coconut oil is used by many here at LHC. There are lots of testimonials as to how great it is. That said, it doesn't work for everyone. You won't know until you try. I use what I call a "long CO soak" to get coconut oil out of my hair. It's a CO wash left on for at least an hour. I usually use either VO5 or old formula (without cones) White Rain conditioner.

Lissandria
August 18th, 2012, 06:01 AM
I always do a pre-wash heavy oil overnight or at work for 8+ hours pre wash. My hair always feels like silk afterwards. I would recommend you try coconut oil. It may be a disaster, but it may work really well, too. Coconut oil has the added benefit that it prevents protein loss while washing if applied to the hair before hand. To my knowledge, other oils do not have this benefit.

I find if I use coconut oil only on my mid-lengths and ends but not on my roots- even if its literally dripping with oil, CWC usually works a charm to remove most of it, much better than plain old shampoo and conditioner. In my experience CO is better than shampoo when it comes to removing coconut oil. YMMV of course.

Lilli
August 18th, 2012, 06:14 AM
I might do this today as I am going to a wedding this evening and I plan to wash my hair and wear it down. I have camellia oil, jojoba oil and argan oil... which shall I choose? (Fine, slightly wavy hair.)

Nae
August 18th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Eh, I sop my hair down with coconut oil before bed, like....dripping. Sleep like that and it comes out with one wash in the morning. No trouble at all. It works really well for me.

florenonite
August 18th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Coconut oil works for some and not others! It works for me, my advice would be to try it. If it is really bad news, then it is really bad news. :) But if it works...awesome!

Agreed. Overnight coconut oilings before shampooing leave my hair soft and shiny.

morrigan*
August 18th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Coconut oil works for me too, i get really shiny hair from it.

dollyfish
August 18th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Coconut oil works for me too! Just to add my $0.02 ;)

Though personally, for what the OP is talking about, I prefer to use a mixture of aloe gel and almond oil. Coconut oil is pretty intense and, yes, hard to wash out, so I save it for special occasions when I don't have to be seen :laugh: