PDA

View Full Version : - Unconventional hair toys you've used ?

RedheadMistress
August 17th, 2012, 10:12 PM
- I was wondering what all other creative people in this forum have used in the past as hairtoys/anything hair related and ingenious . .

I use crochet hooks as hair sticks and bend metal knitting needles to use as a hair fork and I am always looking to be inspired by others. I am mainly driven by my frugality and also just from not having a lot of money !

Another thing I used as a hair stick was a plastic fake sword that I found with some other toys which is big enough to secure a bun if I do Leia buns ^^

What else . . chopsticks of course . .

I'll add more as I think of it, but yes let me know !

rock007junkie
August 17th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Pencil to do a bun

Jorja
August 18th, 2012, 03:07 AM
I've seen a lady around town with a paintbrush in (not a large emulsion brush, a fine pointed watercolour one lol)

whitedove
August 18th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Toothbrushes work well and so do the landyards for moble phones.

kitekats
August 18th, 2012, 03:31 AM
I do the same with that brush:)

Anlbe
August 18th, 2012, 03:48 AM
pencils, paint brushes, sticks, rolled up leaves, paper clips, cocktail stirrers.

Mononoke
August 18th, 2012, 05:22 AM
I do the same with that brush:)
Me too! :)

Wild Strawberry
August 18th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I wore paintbrush once to an arty party :)

Crybb
August 18th, 2012, 04:38 PM
:pa really big nail, painted with nail polish :-)

Dorothy
August 18th, 2012, 07:17 PM
A silver spoon, in a gibraltar bun. A giant safety pin keychain. A stick. And the usual suspects - crochet hooks, bodkins, pencils, paintbrushes.

afu
August 18th, 2012, 07:28 PM
a wool peg (the ones they use at shearing), the hook off a clothes hanger, DPNs, rolled sock, scarf...

Kat
August 18th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I'm known to use whatever smooth-ish, pointy-ish writing utensils are around, in a pinch. Hell, on my desk at work I have a couple stick Papermates that quit working, just in case I need hairsticks in a pinch, so I'm not using my good pens that actually write. :) They're just the right length, actually.

I also made my own "Amish" style hairpins out of wire hangers (well, who really wants to use a wire hanger for anything, anyway? They bend like crazy under the weight of clothes sometimes, but they're nice and strong for hair). I'm still tweaking them, though-- I need to sharpen the ends a bit more. Using them unsharpened really catches at my hair. I haven't done it yet 'cause the little bit I tried to do with a rasp was a pain in the arse-- takes forever.

And of course I've said before that I prefer using double-pointed knitting needles as hairsticks. :)

TheStorm
August 19th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Improvised as a last resort or quick fix I've used pens and pencils a as bun sticks few times. I've in place of hair ties or ribbons I've used shoe laces, string, that plastic red and white warning tape stuff, plastic bags cut into ribbon like strips.

As something I do actually set out to wear I have some plastic flowers I use as bun sticks, some chopsticks too although they are a bit too long. I wear broaches in my hair quite often.

EtherealDoll
August 19th, 2012, 01:43 AM
Wow, you can use so many different things to style hair. The only unconventional hair toys I've ever used are pencils and pens.

BlazingHeart
August 19th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Letter opener! I have a couple of great little sword ones.

chelshireling
August 19th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Knitting needles, shoe laces

Ackvelina
August 20th, 2012, 12:57 PM
A silver plated ham fork with two claws that I found on a flea market, i took away the wooden handle, sanded down the sharp tips of the claws a bit and polished it. Unfortunately it is a bit too short and heavy so I don't use it so often.

a few years ago I liked to use a couple of big, fan shaped brushes as hair sticks, but I got tired of people asking me if i was an artist:)

RedheadMistress
August 21st, 2012, 10:14 AM

That sounds really interesting and cool ! I'd love to see a pic :D

All these ideas sound awesome, goign to try out the ones which are easily accessible to me ^^
Also i remember I used to use paintbrushes as well . . (artist with too many brushes) heh .

Next thing I wil try is the coathanger hairstick, I have too many coathangers !

Crybb
August 21st, 2012, 10:28 AM
redheadmistress: the nail is not all that interesting yet. I tried to marbelize the nail polish but it did not work, however the polish gives the nail a nice smoothness. I'm planning to bead around the head of the nail when I finish my current beads project, which is beading an alligator clip.

deltadeliquent
August 21st, 2012, 11:14 AM
I use a beautiful wooden tapestry weaving bobbin. Very sharp and apropo since I am a weaver!

Amiblue
August 21st, 2012, 11:24 AM
I have used chop sticks (any type that is smooth and won't hurt my hair), writing pens (in a hurry!), pencils, anything that will slid and hold. Lol! Chopsticks are my favorite though. You can get different colors and designs for a LOT cheaper than actual hairsticks that look the same.

jacqueline101
August 21st, 2012, 11:29 AM
My best friend put kids plastic swords in hers.

WaitingSoLong
August 21st, 2012, 11:31 AM
The other day I used a plastic picnic fork because it was there and I needed to put my hair up. I used it like a stick, not a fork. Then we were hugging family goodbye (it was a reunion) and I "forked" my cousin. Right in the eye. LOL. And of course pens, pencils, all of which usually snag my hair to some degree.

pencils, paint brushes, sticks, rolled up leaves, paper clips, cocktail stirrers.

rolled up leaves????

Hm.....I don't think I have any quite long enough setting around but I know where to get one...I would probably coat it with something to avoid a rust issue.

I want to try a plume or caligraphy pen (since I am a writer).

Now I want to wear my flamingo pens.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/DSC01368.jpg

Tapioca
August 24th, 2012, 01:05 PM
When my hair was long, I loved doing a braided bun held with a spoon. It's appropriate to me, since I have chronic illness (RA) and there's a theory out there called the spoon theory. http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/ (http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory./)

Aqua Gal
August 24th, 2012, 03:09 PM

Cocktail stirrers. That is genius!!

Crybb
August 25th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Cocktail stirrers. That is genius!!

my favorite cocktail accessory is the pink spear that came in a drink on Hawaiian airlines. I licked it off and put my hair up with it on the plane, used it the whole vacation and I still have it.

WaitingSoLong
August 25th, 2012, 09:03 AM
When my hair was long, I loved doing a braided bun held with a spoon. It's appropriate to me, since I have chronic illness (RA) and there's a theory out there called the spoon theory. http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

Thelink won't work. It's not you, it's the site. I have googled it and NONE of the links to this work. I am curious, though, since my MIL has fibro. What is M.E.?

Sagi1982
August 25th, 2012, 09:21 AM
I use(d) pencils, ballpens, paint brushes, letter openers, screwdrivers, double pointed knitting needles (straight and bended as forks), silver spoons, cocktail decorations (in shorter hair)... :D

Tapioca
August 25th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Thelink won't work. It's not you, it's the site. I have googled it and NONE of the links to this work. I am curious, though, since my MIL has fibro. What is M.E.?

The idea with the spoon theory is that you only have so much energy (the metaphor they used was only so many spoons) per day. Getting ready in the morning, that's a spoon. Go for a walk? Another spoon. So you have to plan out your day accordingly.

WaitingSoLong
August 25th, 2012, 05:54 PM
The idea with the spoon theory is that you only have so much energy (the metaphor they used was only so many spoons) per day. Getting ready in the morning, that's a spoon. Go for a walk? Another spoon. So you have to plan out your day accordingly.

So is this a book I can buy? I think my MIL would really appreciate it.

Sorry for the hijack guys! (and gals)

longNred
August 25th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Just got a new one tonight... A game of thrones sword letter opener. My mom had lunch with HBO and it was in her swag bag. It's a totally perfect hair stick. Even came in a fancy velvet drawstring bag, which is a rather nice holder for the other chopsticks and crochet hooks I use.

Crybb
August 25th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Just got a new one tonight... A game of thrones sword letter opener. My mom had lunch with HBO and it was in her swag bag. It's a totally perfect hair stick. Even came in a fancy velvet drawstring bag, which is a rather nice holder for the other chopsticks and crochet hooks I use.
ooh, so jelous !

CaliGal
June 12th, 2014, 04:06 PM
I hope it is ok to revive this old thread...
I've used a cake tester and a scratch tool from a party favor (colored paper with black top surface to scratch off) in addition to some of the other items already mentioned.

I almost bought a nut pick (the tool sold with a nut cracker) at an estate sale, it looked like it had potential.

My favorite is DPNs, but a weapon-like letter opener sounds really cool.

HaMalka
June 12th, 2014, 05:58 PM
I use chopsticks a lot. I think that the oddest thing I've ever used was a balloon.

PiXiEmandy
June 12th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Well I love hair toys!!!
Lego men sticks glued to chops sticks painted with nail polish
crochet lace bun cover (real use for that hook)
doll house minis that i may have "borrowed" from a young friend

MandyBeth
June 13th, 2014, 02:46 AM
I've used a paint can opener for a half up lazy wrap type mess.

Youngjae
June 13th, 2014, 04:51 AM
I love my chopsticks (theyre adorable because they have bunnies looking up at the moon on them!) I have used pencils and pens and also a crotchet hook. However I have put many stupid things in my hair to decorate, too many to recall them all but I will ask my friend to see which one was the stupidest.

Anje
June 13th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Remind me to show you all my hairspork, when I'm not out of town.....

Laurenji
June 13th, 2014, 10:19 AM
I used a coffee stir stick for a half-up once. It was one of those more solid plastic ones, so it held pretty well, it was just too short for all my hair at once.

CaliGal
June 13th, 2014, 10:44 AM
I use chopsticks a lot. I think that the oddest thing I've ever used was a balloon.

A balloon?? I'm trying to picture that.