PDA

View Full Version : I don't have curly hair but I always read about caring for it

Rufflebutt
August 17th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Am I the only one who feels this way?

I always lurk on curly hair forums such as naturallycurly.com or browse curly threads here on LHC. My hair is far from curly but for some reason, I find that learning how to care for curly hair is interesting.

Growing up, I didn't know that you were supposed to treat curly hair differently. So finding out that there is a whole different method for caring for it was really odd to me at first.

I know it sounds pretty weird but I was wondering if I'm the only one. XD Is it creepy that I lurk in the shadows of secret curly meetings?

CurlyCap
August 17th, 2012, 09:32 PM
No weirder than me learning about distributing sebum through the length with brushing. :pinktongue:

Also, a lot of us curlies had no idea there was a different way to care for curly hair either. Hence a lot of stories of childhood hair hatred. Thank god for regional or traditional approaches, or I wouldn't have even known things like grease and oil were good for my hair.

vanillabones
August 17th, 2012, 09:45 PM
I thought it was odd too, only because I never really paid that much attention before. I've never had to brush curly hair, or wash it, so I wouldn't know. I've never scrunched/plopped and probably never will!

RedheadMistress
August 17th, 2012, 09:46 PM
- I think it's alright, you can probably still try some things out that are suggested for curly hairs . . experimenting is fun as long as it doesn't damage your hair ! ;D

Also, CurlyCap, reading your post reminds me of a video I saw of when I was a kid and my sister was brushing my hair and I was crying . . I remember always crying when people would brush my hair and how sensitive I was . . awwh ^^

Rufflebutt
August 17th, 2012, 09:52 PM
- I think it's alright, you can probably still try some things out that are suggested for curly hairs . . experimenting is fun as long as it doesn't damage your hair ! ;D

Also, CurlyCap, reading your post reminds me of a video I saw of when I was a kid and my sister was brushing my hair and I was crying . . I remember always crying when people would brush my hair and how sensitive I was . . awwh ^^

I used to bawl my eyes out when my mother brushed my hair as a child. But it wasn't because of my hair, it was because my mother likes to yank brushes through hair.
You'd think going to beauty school and learning to be a hair dresser would teach her to be more gentle, but she would yank and my head would snap back. I'd start crying and she would yell at me to stop crying while she finished violently pulling out all of the knots in my hair. XP ow..

vanillabones
August 17th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Rufflebutt my mom was the same exact way and had went to hairdressing school. She would pull brushes through my hair (my sister's too). My dad would have to brush our snarls out she was so cruel.

MeowScat
August 17th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Oh good, I'm not the only one! :)

I find it so interesting to read about what methods curlies should use and also if I had known about some of them when I used to perm my hair, it would have looked and felt so much better.

My mom used to rip through my hair and make me cry too. She got so sick of my whining that she took me to the hairdresser and he gave me a really short pixie when I was five or six years old.

When she took me over to my grandparents for a visit, my grandpa said, "who is this little boy?" I said, "grandpa, it's meeeee!!" He was flabbergasted and I was mortified.

spirals
August 18th, 2012, 12:06 AM
I'm a curly but I'm being influenced to brush my hair and try to go without conditoner. (I can't really.)

Loviatar
August 18th, 2012, 06:28 AM
I lurk too. My housemate is a curly and I am trying to enhance my wave. :)

Rufflebutt
August 18th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Rufflebutt my mom was the same exact way and had went to hairdressing school. She would pull brushes through my hair (my sister's too). My dad would have to brush our snarls out she was so cruel. My mom broke many brushes this way too. She always blamed it on my hair being too thick to brush, but it was really because of all of the rough-housing. XP I've never had a brush or comb break on me since brushing my own hair. Really, they shouldn't ever break because you shouldn't ever yank on a knot.

haibane
August 18th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I use curly hair care methods because straight methods are way too brutal for my fragile hair.

(Well, whatever straight hair care is supposed to be? I haven't really seen any "straight" methods that are really about hair *care* it's all focused on making the hair look good, which apparently means dry... rant, sorry. :p )

Suze2012
August 18th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I use curly hair care methods because straight methods are way too brutal for my fragile hair.

(Well, whatever straight hair care is supposed to be? I haven't really seen any "straight" methods that are really about hair *care* it's all focused on making the hair look good, which apparently means dry... rant, sorry. :p )

I used to straighten my hair up until a few years ago - know what you mean - and I always hated that when I straightened there was always tiny little pieces of hair on me once I was finished. I think the straightener took the ends of my hair off each time.

Thanks OP for reading about curlies!:)

I didn't have curly hair when I was younger - it was kinky but pretty much straight really.
I had to go through learning what on earth to do with it when I grew it all through my twenties - OMG there were some shocking photos of me at that stage!
Mind you...if I am honest..I'm only just learning what to do with it now..in my forties!

lapushka
August 18th, 2012, 12:17 PM
As a mere wavy, I try and learn from the curlies as best I can, so yeah, I lurk. I think learning how to care for curly hair is awesome, and I always hope it will help with my waves somehow.

ratgirldjh
August 18th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I do the same and implementing some of it has helped me figure out that my hair is wavy! :D

dwell_in_safety
August 18th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Type 4 hair will probably always be my favorite texture (it has been since I was tiny), and I probably know what would seem to most people like an inordinate/creepy amount of information regarding how to care for it. I've never had an opportunity to actually physically care for a head of type 4 hair, but I'd probably not be half bad at it if suddenly I had to care for a small child, for example.

Suffice it to say, I don't find it weird that you browse curly hair care. :p

Kiwiwi
August 18th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I don't find that weird at all :)
I am interested to learn about many things that I personally don't have, too :)

I am all for more people understanding how to take care of curly hair! That way you can help family/friends with curls. Because very often curlies struggle with their hair for a long time cos they've been raised to treat it as straight. If more parents knew how to take take of curly hair even though they are not curly themselves, a lot of people would be much happier ^_^

Rufflebutt
August 18th, 2012, 04:23 PM

(Well, whatever straight hair care is supposed to be? I haven't really seen any "straight" methods that are really about hair *care* it's all focused on making the hair look good, which apparently means dry... rant, sorry. :p ) Well, a lot of popular methods of hair care are created with straight hair in mind. Which I find really weird, because I know far more wavies and closet curlies than people with truly straight hair. Instead they always do everything they can to make their hair straight. I don't understand how modern society just sweeps up such a huge portion of hair types and throw them under the rug.

HappyHair87
August 18th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Lol @ "lurking at secret curly meetings"! I love it!

I must admit...i feel special that my hair requires a different type of care than what's mainstream. Im also happy i know how to care for the 3 different curl patterns on my head :)

Rufflebutt
August 18th, 2012, 04:26 PM
I don't find that weird at all :)
I am interested to learn about many things that I personally don't have, too :)

I am all for more people understanding how to take care of curly hair! That way you can help family/friends with curls. Because very often curlies struggle with their hair for a long time cos they've been raised to treat it as straight. If more parents knew how to take take of curly hair even though they are not curly themselves, a lot of people would be much happier ^_^I introduced the concept of using wide tooth combs or finger combing to a couple of my friends. I felt really accomplished that day. c:

spirals
August 18th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I agree, Rufflebutt. Truly 1a hair is in the minority. I see "fake straighties" all the time. :lol:

Rufflebutt
August 18th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I agree, Rufflebutt. Truly 1a hair is in the minority. I see "fake straighties" all the time. :lol:Even my hair has a bit of body! I used to straighten my hair to appear 1a, but I'm really embracing the natural slight curve that my hair has. :) I'm not even tempted to straighten at all.