PDA

View Full Version : Do rope braids fall out more easily than English/French/Dutch braids?

hairhair
August 17th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I just managed to get my hair into a rope braid for the first time. I was just wondering whether people feel like they fall out more quickly than other braids -- since the twisting is required, I feel like it would untwist gradually and become less rope-y as the day goes on.

I've seen a girl at school who has rope braids in all day, but they're the braided-to-the-head kind. Sorry, I'm not sure of the name for this, as here English braids are called "plaits" and the braided-to-the-head type are called "braids". So when I say rope braid, I'm talking about something like an English braid -- just hanging without braiding to the head/incorporating more hair over the length.

Madora
August 17th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Rope braids tend to get frizzier faster than dutch or english braids. Of course, if you pin them up, that does help to lessen the chances of frizzies.

Remyy
August 17th, 2012, 08:40 PM
As long as you twist the two individual sections in the opposite direction that you're twisting them around each other, the braid will hold really well! I don't know how to describe exactly what I'm saying..there are a lot of tutorials on it though! Otherwise mine usually last all day. The plus side though is they take less than two seconds to re-do, so if they fall out you can fix it pretty quickly :).

hairhair
August 17th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Wooooooow! I just discovered that the braided-to-the-head version of a rope braid doesn't need to be twisted to stay in! It's like my favourite Dutch braid hairstyle except even more amazing! :D This is my favourite hair discovery yet!

Natalia
August 17th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I just managed to get my hair into a rope braid for the first time. I was just wondering whether people feel like they fall out more quickly than other braids -- since the twisting is required, I feel like it would untwist gradually and become less rope-y as the day goes on.

I've seen a girl at school who has rope braids in all day, but they're the braided-to-the-head kind. Sorry, I'm not sure of the name for this, as here English braids are called "plaits" and the braided-to-the-head type are called "braids". So when I say rope braid, I'm talking about something like an English braid -- just hanging without braiding to the head/incorporating more hair over the length.

Yeah mine do but i have a pretty severe taper. ive seen them hold better on thicker hair with a more even hem. I once wore one dancing and that barely lasted through the 30min class forget about the actual dancing.

Lilli
August 18th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Mine lasted overnight, but it does seem to highlight all the broken hairs as the torsion makes them pop out in my straight hair. This could be fixed with some leave-in, though.

LadyLongLocks
August 18th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Mine are not twisted too tight so YES they come apart quite quickly. I usually use them for updos. If I left them down it would look terrible unless they were heavily oiled.

chelshireling
August 18th, 2012, 07:30 PM
yeah, I think rope braids do tend to come undone more easily, especially if its just one down the back as opposed to two- still cute tho:p

afu
August 18th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I've never worn mine in the daytime so im not sure howw long it would last in that situation, but i wear a french rope braid (i think thats what you're meaning by a rope plait braided to the head). I find the easiest way to do the french rope is to use 2 sections and to twist one side only - mine always last through the night and don't look too bad next morning.

Kat
August 18th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I've never really successfully managed one... I simply can't do them on myself! (First off, I haven't a clue how to do it with only two hands... how do I twist one, hold the end so it stays twisted since I need both hands to twist the other one, then keep them together while they twist together??) So any I've tried have come out quickly--if I achieve them at all; I have a hell of a time figuring out which way to twist the final rope when I'm doing it behind my back!-- because they haven't been well-executed/stable to begin with.

(It's worth it to note that I never could wrap my head around rope braids and how they work-- heh, no pun intended!-- until I learned to spin yarn. That made sense to me. THEN I understood it one day when I realized a rope braid was just the same thing. "OH! I'm just spinning and then plying my hair!!" LOL. My mom finally understood it once I explained it that way too.)

Kelikea
August 18th, 2012, 08:12 PM
If I rope braid a pony tail and leave it hanging down, or do it English braid style but rope it, then it does unwind a bit and get loose. But, if it is attached in some way, like wrapped in a bun or I do my bangs in a rope braid and clip them to the side of my pony tail, then it stays all day.

ddiana1979
August 18th, 2012, 08:18 PM
I wear a Hawser Braid frequently. It's two rope braids, rope braided together (looks similar to a 4-strand box braid).

TorrinPaige's YouTube Tutorial, Hawser Braid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y3LvWpncQQ)

It holds like a rock all day long. If I leave it in overnight, it still looks halfway decent in the morning (e.g. too frizzy to wear out, but in decent enough shape to keep in to lounge around the house) The only drawback (which I actually consider to be a plus), is that it eats up length like crazy. It probably wouldn't work on hair that's much shorter than WL.