PDA

View Full Version : Shedding

Patty lou
August 17th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I leave my hair up for a week and have the same shedding as if I brush it every day ????????????

Patty lou

bekstamonkey
August 17th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Well, we naturally shed every day, I think it's something like up-to 100 hairs or so each day...so of course if they're naturally shedding, they're gonna shed even if your hair is up for an entire week. Shedding is natural. It's only when you have excessive shedding that you may wanna be concerned, or try and find the culprit.

If you've had your hair up for an entire week, that shed hair that should have come loose from your mane (as it's already come loose from follicle) each day is held in place by your hairdo, so when you remove the styled hair, you get what *seems* to be a massive shed, but may in fact simply be the accumulation of 7 days of natural shedding. Make sense?

This is how dreadlocks end-up so thick, obviously the hair is not brushed, but as hair sheds, it remains in the lock, and is eventually added-to by the new hair that grows out and is locked-in. It's kinda the same idea as having your hair up for a period of time, the shed hairs don't get the chance to actually come loose fully until the style is removed.

Rufflebutt
August 17th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Unless you yank your hair a lot, your hair will shed the same no matter what. It's controlled by your body, not how you handle it.