PDA

View Full Version : Mineral oil tips and tricks?

einna
August 17th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I have just ordered some mineral oil online, can't wait to try it on my ever dryish hair (pretty healthy though, mostly dry hairtype).

Does anybody want to share their best tips and tricks for how to use this stuff?

I was wondering if it would be possible to make a spritz of it? For example distilled water, mineral oil and some EO? Maybe throw some vegetable oil or CO in there to?
And could I put it in my home made DT's, like an SMT? :)

ratgirldjh
August 17th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I have just ordered some mineral oil online, can't wait to try it on my ever dryish hair (pretty healthy though, mostly dry hairtype).

Does anybody want to share their best tips and tricks for how to use this stuff?

I was wondering if it would be possible to make a spritz of it? For example distilled water, mineral oil and some EO? Maybe throw some vegetable oil or CO in there to?

I'm not sure how it would work when added to SMTs but you could try it. I just would not add too much because any more than a tiny bit can be hard to wash out.

I've thought of adding a drop to a mister bottle with water but I haven't done it yet.

I usually just use a drop on my ends and rubbed through my hair when damp after washing.

PetuniaBlossom
August 17th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Einna, I use mineral (baby) oil and it works well for me.
I'm currently using the CWC method. I follow it with a white vinegar rinse. Then, when my hair is still sopping wet, I apply just a few drops of mineral oil to the last few inches of my hair, especially my dry, dry ends. Then I run my hands very lightly over my canopy.
Mineral oil is great for sealing in the moisture. I don't use it as a conditioning oil, just a water-sealing oil.
Afterwards, when my hair is just barely damp, I apply coconut oil for conditioning.
I'm thinking of adding some mineral oil to the coconut oil and lavender EO in my mister bottle.
And, of course, mineral oil is great on wet skin after a shower.

Madora
August 17th, 2012, 05:37 PM

Mineral oil works best by itself...and you only need 2 or 3 drops, so I would not recommend spritzing.

I use it to detangle and condition and it is very simple: after rinsing out my shampoo, I use a towel to gently press the excess water out of my hair.

I put 4 drops of MO into a small pill bottle cap, then take a cotton baby swab and coat it with the oil. Then I apply the swab to my palms and fingers. Next I run my palms through my hair several times, until most of the sheen has disappeared from my hands.

MO is a terrific detangler, plus it leaves my hair soft, shiny and supple. No after scent either.

While MO is most effective on hair that has been clarified first, you can also use it on damp (not dripping) hair and on dry hair.

Several members here have used MO and saved their damaged ends from scissors.

Dang3rousB3auty
August 17th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't use it in DT, if you use it at all use it after a DT to seal in the moisture. It doesn't penetrate your hair so it doesn't really do much for deep conditioning. It seems it is better to use water based products to let your hair soak it all in, then seal in the moisture with the MO. A lot of people love it and a lot of people find it dries out their hair in the long run. Guess you just have to work with it and see.

salisem
August 17th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I used to put a single drop of baby oil in my palm, rub it between both hands, then apply to damp hair from the ears down. It was great at sealing in moisture and giving it a healthy shine and bounce, but I think it was making my face break out so I stopped. :(

kitcatsmeow
August 17th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I use about 5 or 6 drops. My hair drinks it up! I use a tiny bit of my contioner for a leave in then rub my mineral oil through (baby oil) let it dry just a bit then smooth just a drop or two of argan oil to seal and shine. Perfect every time! Baby oil is probably one of the best things I've found for my hair!

RedheadMistress
August 17th, 2012, 07:40 PM
- I started using it in my SMT's and it's Amazing !

Nowadays instead of:
honey
coconut oil
conditioner

I use:
honey
tiny bit of coconut oil
conditioner
a lot of mineral oil

It makes my hair feel Amazing and for Days !! Normally it would just feel amazing for a day, then be flat. . very quickly getting sick of coconut oil but mineral oil is just gorgeous !

Edit:
Noticed people write about using *drops* of Mineral Oil, I use tablespoons of it and every day, my hair just soaks it all in and looves it !

Oh and also I use Johnsons baby oil, so far I've used half a bottle in a months time !

Rufflebutt
August 17th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Why not use baby oil? :p It's just scented mineral oil.

Simone_Fatale
August 18th, 2012, 01:47 AM
I use a mix of mineral and walnut oil in a homemade spray leave-in. Just some water with a few drops of both oils, a little bit of regular conditioner and a bit of panthenol cream. It does make my hair really soft and shiny but kinda oily too. I'm going to dillute it a bit and see how it works.

Mesmerise
August 18th, 2012, 02:46 AM
I use just a teeny bit of mineral oil on my hair (cheap baby oil that is lol)... I tried it on my skin (as someone, pinkycat (??) I think, said it made her skin great... BUT I have this hideous rash on my legs now so I'm thinking it was the mineral oil... or maybe the fragrance mixed it?!)

Ambystoma
August 18th, 2012, 07:31 AM
I'm liking having 2 drops MO and 2 drops Ylang Ylang EO in my mister diluted in about 150 mls of water. I use this as my 'styling spray" to dampen my hair before I set it in rags or a wrap before bed. It gives slip and shine and scent without making it greasy :)

Siiri
August 18th, 2012, 09:32 AM

Around here they add isopropyl palmitate to (johnson & johnson) baby oil. It's a type of thickening agent and there was some discussion in one of the mineral oil threads that it may build up or affect the results.

Madora
August 18th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Around here they add isopropyl palmitate to (johnson & johnson) baby oil. It's a type of thickening agent and there was some discussion in one of the mineral oil threads that it may build up or affect the results.

You are right, Siiri! Johnson and Johnson makes more than one type of baby oil. The one with additives, as you've noted, is not as effective as the Johnson and Johnson baby oil without the additives.

HadessThera
August 18th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I've just found a bottle of Elizabeth Anne's Baby Hair Oil today :bounce: It's mineral oil with avocado oil and a few other blended oils, I haven't tried it yet because I literally only got it hours ago but I was so excited I said "hells yeah!" really loudly when I found it and scared a middle aged lady haha :oops:

einna
August 18th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Thank you so much for answering! This has been very helpful. And please, keep it coming! ;)
I have been reading up on mineral oil, and the answers here seem to fit what I*ve read very well. :D Can't wait to get my hands on it! :)

einna
August 18th, 2012, 05:29 PM

You are right, Siiri! Johnson and Johnson makes more than one type of baby oil. The one with additives, as you've noted, is not as effective as the Johnson and Johnson baby oil without the additives.

Jup, it's the same here in Norway, I have looked so many places for pure(ish) mineral oil, but no luck. I am so happy to have internet access. :D

catasa
August 31st, 2012, 09:12 AM
In Sweden I have been able to find pure mineral oil (paraffinum liquid, or simply Flytande paraffin in Swedish) at the pharmacy, where they sell it as a laxative. Ask for Flytande paraffin, maybe they have it in Norway also!

Ginbill
August 31st, 2012, 02:59 PM
After reading here, I am definitely going to try MO out in my hair. My sister left a bottle when she moved out and I was about to throw it out because I had no use for it. Apparently I do now!

dawnss
August 31st, 2012, 08:47 PM
I only use it to seal my hair, I really like using hair oil but they need to make my hair too greasy so I use hair grease on my ends and my hair is not greasy.