PDA

View Full Version : Long hair movie Mists of Avalon

Missa
August 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM
This movie is a classic long hair film. It is finally on You Tube. In High Quality!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_kq3tdliV0&feature=PlayList&p=3BF28C825F19A8F2&index=0

Such a good movie. If you have not seen it The Mists of Avalon is about the King Arthur legend and the struggle between the old Pagan beliefs in the Mother Goddess and the new belief in Christianity between the people of Britain.

Check it out.

Nevermore
August 7th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I love this movie and the book. Love. Love. Love. So glad it's on youtube now!

Magicknthenight
August 7th, 2008, 10:06 PM
It sounds interesting :). Thanks for the link I'm gonna watch it now. I love movies with long hair ^-^ but its kinda distracting lol

tiny_teesha
August 7th, 2008, 10:11 PM
it looks awesome, morgaine has the most beautiful hair! OOO i sooo want to see it when it comes out in Australia!
edit- hey i looked it up on imdb and it is out! Awesome! I am so renting it, and merlin too while i am at it! :)

Thank you for mentioning it! :)

beyondcute
August 7th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I like movies like this. Historic. Sort of I guess. Braveheart is a fave of mines... I wonder I will like this one too. Thanks for the suggestion!

Guenever
August 8th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Oh, it's been years since I saw this one! :inlove: It was my first favorite medieval movie and one of the reasons why I wanted to grow my hair :D thanks for the link..

Nini
August 8th, 2008, 03:05 AM
I saw this years ago, in the dubbed German version. I can't say I liked it much, except the hair that is...

Nini

LadyMoon11
August 8th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I enjoyed the book- but I have not seen the movie. I will have to check it out. :D

Elleyena
August 8th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I love anything having to do with Arthurian legend, and I've been meaning to go get the book. I'll definitely have to check out the movie!

vampodrama
August 8th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I loved this movie. the book, too!

NurseMama
August 8th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I loved the book and the movie! Wasn't this a made for TV movie?

Islandgrrl
August 8th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Great movie. I love it!

Darkhorse1
August 8th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Meh, that hair is fake. I like movies where the hair is real, no wigs. I'm fussy ;)

DrkAngel
August 8th, 2008, 12:48 PM
loved it!! Started watching it purely because of the hair but loved the movie itself from the very first scene (Morgaine sailing through the mist...).

ETA: if you havent yet, go watch it. you'll love it!

naturechild
August 8th, 2008, 01:15 PM
what a great movie and book. I second "if you haven't seen it, go watch it!"

dor3girl
August 8th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Saw this a long time ago--but seems like a good one to re-visit!

GlassEyes
August 8th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I haven't finished the book. xD

I kind of find Margulies accent funny to be honest. I ran by a site a few months back that had directions for the hairstyles in the movie though. Can't remember what it was though.

Stagecoach
August 8th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Hummm... great hair, but replusive story line.

winter_star
August 8th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Oh, I love this movie. There are many beautiful scenes and music!

yrrebwartsymssi
August 8th, 2008, 10:45 PM
thanks for the link... i just watched the whole movie and it was great :)

Nat242
August 9th, 2008, 12:04 AM
What's repulsive about it?

squiggyflop
August 9th, 2008, 08:56 AM
What's repulsive about it?
i was confused about that statement aswell.. aside from dirty hair and sweaty greasy men there wasnt anything that seemed repulsive..

also that link to youtube.. it cut off in the middle of the movie.. why cant i watch it to the end?

blue_nant
August 9th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I thought the movie did not measure up to the book. And the only place where the book fell down was making guenever and lance infernally whiny.

I enjoyed the book and the was disappointed in the movie, but also read the other three (four?) books on the story line. I think its the setting I like most.

But there is a lot to be said for scenery, costuming, etc., and it's worth the watch.

squiggyflop
August 9th, 2008, 12:44 PM
seriously how do i watch the rest of the movie.. i want to see the rest.. i must see the rest.. and i really dont want to get dressed and go to blockbuster..

detritus
August 9th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Squiggy, the movie is cut into five or six minute chunks. Youtube should list the following scenes along the right hand side of the screen.

lorig713
August 9th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Love the movie, love the hair! :magic:

squiggyflop
August 9th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Squiggy, the movie is cut into five or six minute chunks. Youtube should list the following scenes along the right hand side of the screen.
it only lists 8 scenes.. how many should there be.. it didnt really feel like an ending at the end of the 8th scene..

Nevermore
August 9th, 2008, 04:58 PM
The ending is with Morgaine talking about the Virgin Mary of the Catholic church being the new "version" of the Goddess. If that's not the youtube end, then it's not the end. HTH

Magicknthenight
August 9th, 2008, 05:04 PM
it only lists 8 scenes.. how many should there be.. it didnt really feel like an ending at the end of the 8th scene..

Yea i thought it was over then too. If you click the User on the page that uploaded them they have them on their site. I think the user was ManofBrazil. If you can't find the next video click where it says See all 135 videos and their is a search bar in the top right and if you put the name and scene it will show up.
Hope that helped.

I liked this movie alot. But i wish it would have had more of an ending. The last clip was where she was gonna be married to the king instead of the son right? Well...i wish it would have told how that went..what happened to her son..and the rest of her family. But other then that it was good. The hair was nice too

Magicknthenight
August 9th, 2008, 05:06 PM
The ending is with Morgaine talking about the Virgin Mary of the Catholic church being the new "version" of the Goddess. If that's not the youtube end, then it's not the end. HTH

Oh i don't think ive seen that part. I guess i haven't seen it all the way through. Hmm needa finish that sometime!

squiggyflop
August 10th, 2008, 05:32 AM
i take back what i said about there being nothing repulsive.. there are few things i find more disgusting than incest.. that whole part where she doesnt know that she had sex with her brother makes me have trouble watching the rest.. i nearly yakked.. i dont even know if i want to finish the movie

Faepirate
August 10th, 2008, 05:36 AM
i take back what i said about there being nothing repulsive.. there are few things i find more disgusting than incest..

Yeah that made me squirm. :ohmy:

Nat242
August 10th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Oh, fair enough. I didn't get that far in the movie - I only watched the very beginning ;)

Eryka
August 10th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Generally speaking, the people who fine the entire movie repulsive are Christians.

Eryka
August 10th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Damn typo.

find*

squiggyflop
August 10th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Generally speaking, the people who fine the entire movie repulsive are Christians.
oh ok.. i dont find the main theme of peganism repulsive.. i guess christians would find it extremely offensive..

however im not exactly a christian.. im sort of a mix of a whole bunch of beliefs.. but i do find the movie to be sort of be gross now.. i keep trying to watch it but the incest is totally burned into my brain.. i find it to be extremely offensive that the people who knew they were brother and sister made them do it.... so its not just christians..

Jen
August 10th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I'm a christian who read the book and has seen parts of the movie and I didn't find it repulsive per say.

I guess I just accepted the storyline premise for what it was and looked at the bigger theme.

The incest was supposed to be repulsive to us from Morgaines perspective because [and they make a point of bringing this up in the book] she has spent her earlier years in a semi-christian environment and has adopted some of those mores despite having deliberately rejected them in favor of paganism.

Then they explain it from her aunts perspective and it looks completely different...a woman with an AGENDA who is willing to sacrifice even her relationship with someone she loves [and that persons happiness] to accomplish it. She's looking for a bloodline opportunity..to craft a king of her own making.

And her other aunt...morgause...very interesting character as well. She is ruthless and complex and strangely easy to empathize with. I am able to see how she arrives at the conclusions she does even as I cringe from her horrific selfishness and cruelty.

I loved how the behind the scenes string pulling was shown to more or less destroy the lives of everyone involved. Had that fatalistic feel...the more people TRIED to force the hand of fate the tighter the noose became for everyone. The tension by the end of the story was palpable.

And it ends in RUIN...it was all pointless. This grand scheme of human creation. People spent their lives in service to it, wars were fought, murders and betrayals...all for NOTHING as the wheel of destiny turned without permission grinding them underneath as it passed.

Just_Isabel
August 10th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I thought the movie did not measure up to the book.

Me, too, but I that's usually (if not always) the case because you just have so much more information in a book than in an about 2 hour movie.

The Mists of Avalon was my favorite book for a very long time, and it still is one of my favorites. I also read the other 2 (or was it 3? It was so long ago!) books in the series.

I'm a christian who read the book and has seen parts of the movie and I didn't find it repulsive per say.

I guess I just accepted the storyline premise for what it was and looked at the bigger theme.

The incest was supposed to be repulsive to us from Morgaines perspective because [and they make a point of bringing this up in the book] she has spent her earlier years in a semi-christian environment and has adopted some of those mores despite having deliberately rejected them in favor of paganism.

Then they explain it from her aunts perspective and it looks completely different...a woman with an AGENDA who is willing to sacrifice even her relationship with someone she loves [and that persons happiness] to accomplish it. She's looking for a bloodline opportunity..to craft a king of her own making.

And her other aunt...morgause...very interesting character as well. She is ruthless and complex and strangely easy to empathize with. I am able to see how she arrives at the conclusions she does even as I cringe from her horrific selfishness and cruelty.

I'm not a Christian, but apart from that, I agree with everything quoted here. :D I can't say about the last two paragraphs because I read this book so many years ago that I can't remember everything well... :o But the book is definitely better than the book, especially if you want to know more about what's going on in everyone's mind. :agree: Some things may be hard to understand if you only watch the film.

Kleis
August 10th, 2008, 12:57 PM
i take back what i said about there being nothing repulsive.. there are few things i find more disgusting than incest.. that whole part where she doesnt know that she had sex with her brother makes me have trouble watching the rest.. i nearly yakked.. i dont even know if i want to finish the movie

Just have to point out that neither Marion Zimmer Bradley nor the filmmakers created the Arthurian legends, though. Even in the mythos that report Mordred as Morgause's son instead of Morgan's (aka Morgaine), Morgause is still his half-sister. So, leaving it out of the movie would have been really chickening out.

Not to mention, the story has been around exactly how long? It's kind of like being surprised that the Titanic sunk.

It's a complex and wonderful mythology and I really enjoyed reading and seeing it from the non-Christian perspective. :shrug:

Isilme
August 10th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I only skimmed the replies not to read any spoilders of the end. I'm not sure if I watched it or not, how many parts are there? 25 or are there more I haven't seen? I'm stuck now, I have to buy the whole series of books, thanks;) (I have to own books, borrowing them from the library just isn't the same)
I enjoyed the story as well as the hair. And yes, incest is gross.

Just_Isabel
August 10th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Question to those who've also read the book and seen the movie (I don't have my books anymore so I can't look it up :o): do they end in the same way? I have an idea that they don't (wrt to Morgan, especially). - I think that may have been one of the things that upset me the most about the movie.

*off to google*

squiggyflop
August 10th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Just have to point out that neither Marion Zimmer Bradley nor the filmmakers created the Arthurian legends, though. Even in the mythos that report Mordred as Morgause's son instead of Morgan's (aka Morgaine), Morgause is still his half-sister. So, leaving it out of the movie would have been really chickening out.

Not to mention, the story has been around exactly how long? It's kind of like being surprised that the Titanic sunk.

It's a complex and wonderful mythology and I really enjoyed reading and seeing it from the non-Christian perspective. :shrug:
i never really had much exposure to the Arthur legend.. i wasnt ever told the story so this movie was one of my first exposures to it.. so thats why i was shocked.. i also saw like a third of the arthur movie with keira knightly.. but thats it.. i never even saw the arthur cartoon as a kid..

Ursula
August 10th, 2008, 01:15 PM
From what I remember in the book, it was St. Brighad, not Mary, who was the statue at the end.

And the spinning scenes annoyed me, - spinning wheels weren't invented yet! Drop spindle! Drop spindle! Particularly since the tedium of drop-spindle spinning was so key to the book. It wasn't the hypnotic effect of a spinning wheel that induced the trance, it was the mind-numbing tedium of the fiber-work that women spent their days doing.

Kleis
August 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM
i never really had much exposure to the Arthur legend.. i wasnt ever told the story so this movie was one of my first exposures to it.. so thats why i was shocked.. i also saw like a third of the arthur movie with keira knightly.. but thats it.. i never even saw the arthur cartoon as a kid..

Gotcha. Kind of a shocking first exposure, huh? :lol:

I'd been expecting it, so could see look past the obvious incest TMI and see how beautifully the filmmakers handled it.

Psst: You might want to avoid seeing any future movies about Zeus and Hera, Isis and Osiris, and Adonis, to start with. Incest is an prevalent theme in folklore.

Meli
August 10th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I like both the book and the movie, but being interested in both the medieval ages and old textile techniques, I just have to second this (bolding is mine):

And the spinning scenes annoyed me, - spinning wheels weren't invented yet! Drop spindle! Drop spindle! Particularly since the tedium of drop-spindle spinning was so key to the book. It wasn't the hypnotic effect of a spinning wheel that induced the trance, it was the mind-numbing tedium of the fiber-work that women spent their days doing.

I read the book before I saw the movie, and I am a bit familiar with the Arthurian legends, so if anything in the movie made me upset, it was the spinning wheels... :silly:

Angellen
August 16th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I've read both the book and own the movie. I think that the book is indeed better, but it took me so long to read (because of its sheer volume, and occasional tedium, imho). I just took the movie with a grain of salt, and loved all the costuming and hair and all of that. I liked being able to pick up on all the little nuances in the movie that are not necessarily evident to one that has not read the book.

I agree with Kleis; the filmmakers handled the incest rather well, all things considered.

marshwoman
August 16th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Along with Mists of Avalon, I really enjoyed Mary Stewart's books on the Arthurian legend - The Hollow Hills, etc. I have a three-book volume and love it. It focuses on Merlin and his origins/role to Arthur/rise to mythical reputation and is beautifully written. No good hair, though, that I recall :p

In the Mists of Avalon, isn't it mentioned in the book (towards the end) that Morgause hennas her hair to look younger? :eyebrows:

Rentlle
October 6th, 2009, 10:08 AM
just seen the movie..
gosh.. such a hair-evny XD

Shiva
October 6th, 2009, 10:10 AM
This is my favorite movie ever. Hair or not, I love it.

jel
October 6th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Having read the book some *cough* quarter-century ago, I only found out about the movie when I joined LHC. Obviously, I had to find it!

The movie can't compete with the book, especially the second half - but the hair, ah, the hair! Gorgeous! Though, I have a hairstyle gripe with Raven. She was supposed to have uncut hair (like all women, especially priestesses), soft and black as, well, a raven's wing... and they portrayed her with a shaved head! Literary blasphemy! :p I suppose I just have to look at Igraine, Morgaine, Morgause, Vivianne and Gwenhwyfar's hair as a consolation... ;)

Liave Ekeli
October 6th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Ooh, I love this movie! Granted, it's not completely accurate to the book or to history, but as entertainment I think it's great. And the beautiful hair, wigs or not, is a definite plus.

Rentlle
October 6th, 2009, 11:30 AM
just watched it..
major hair and dresses-envy... :crush:

Leisje
October 6th, 2009, 12:06 PM
My best friend and I watched this a few years ago and we were in MAJOR hair lust/envy. We just sat there going "must have... must have..."

I love that movie.