PDA

View Full Version : What shape were you whilst at apl?

sazzie88
August 17th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I am currently growing my hair as all of you would know I'm sure. I recently had a cut that went wrong, dbf cut way too much from my hair and I lost a lot more than intended trying to even up the mess.

At the moment it is in a very very blunt cut just above apl. This is making it feel like its taking forever,( not to mention I am currently going through a stall so had no growth in what feels like forever) and to be honest my hair either looks good very long or very short. Nothing in between! P

Would you suggest adding layers or as the back seems to hang very horribly.

How did you all have your hair grow whilst in the dreaded past shoulder phase?

Madora
August 17th, 2012, 01:00 PM
I am currently growing my hair as all of you would know I'm sure. I recently had a cut that went wrong, dbf cut way too much from my hair and I lost a lot more than intended trying to even up the mess.

At the moment it is in a very very blunt cut just above apl. This is making it feel like its taking forever,( not to mention I am currently going through a stall so had no growth in what feels like forever) and to be honest my hair either looks good very long or very short. Nothing in between! P

Would you suggest adding layers or as the back seems to hang very horribly.

How did you all have your hair grow whilst in the dreaded past shoulder phase?

Layers aren't a good idea if you're going to try wearing updos when your hair is longer. The layered bits keep popping up in places where they shouldn't be and are a holy trial.

All you can do with your hair is continue to handle it gently and be patient. Growing healthy hair takes time. Average growth is 6 inches a year. Some grow faster, others slower.

You might want to try daily scalp massages to help with follicle stimulation.

Refrain from anything that might harm your hair..i.e. blowfrying, hot curlers, hot irons.

battles
August 17th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I've had layers in a U shaped hem since before APL. I like how it looks, but the layers are pretty frustrating in updos.

kidari
August 17th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I would just rely on wearing your hair up almost all of the time- that's how I got past that awkward stage, which was between shoulder length and APL for me. However, I do find that a blunt shorter length makes it more difficult to put in updos. When I cut off 4-5 inches I found that it was really hard to make a good cinnamon bun that was stable because my hair felt thicker and harder to work with. I just let it grow and then ends tapered on their own naturally, making updos easier. If it's nice and blunt and even now, I would say just stick it out. It would be a shame to grow out the layers as well or worse, sacrifice more length because you couldn't get it even. At least you are starting with really nice fresh ends and a blunt hemline right now! Oh and at that length, a tails-up is really fast and looks so nice. Enjoy that updo now while you can, because it will never be the same once your hair gets longer later.

kaydana
August 17th, 2012, 01:45 PM
If you're unhappy with your hair now, you'll be unhappy with it for a long time. If layers would make you feel happier about your hair now, then get layers. You don't need a huge amount of layers or for the layers to be a lot shorter than the rest of your hair for it to make a difference to how your hair looks and feels.

teal
August 17th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I had layers which turned into fairytale ends. I don't have any trouble with hair popping out of my updos, and my hair is usually up. If having layers now will improve your appearance or confidence, then why not? You can get rid of them later if you don't like them. Whatever you decide, wait two weeks and if you still want to do it then go for it.

I got past the 'dreaded shoulder stage' by putting my hair into updos and forgetting about it. I wasn't doing it for my hair at the time but that is how I managed it.

lilliemer
August 17th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I'm living the dreaded past shoulder not-long not-short phase right now. I'm at APL and have a U hemline. I'm trying to get back to a blunt hemline with the exception of some face framing layers. My layers are ok, I don't hate them but my ends are damaged, making the ends of my hair fluffy. The layers add to this effect. I would rather have all one length to give some more weight to the ends of my hair. Because it's curly, my hair stays pretty well in a cinnabun, which is the only updo I can do right now. I have a lot of taper in my braid and hate the way it looks. If I had the chance to start from shoulder, I would start all one length and keep going, triangle head be damned. Now it's just long enough that I don't want to go back, so I'm just trimming the layers out slowly.

To summarize my experience with the U hemline/layers:
pros: might look better down (but I think this is totally a personal preference); helps to enhance waves and curls
cons: thin looking ends; tapered braids
things that depend on your hair type: whether or not updos will stay (they probably will 'stick' better in wavy or curly, textured hair)

earthnut
August 17th, 2012, 10:02 PM
I have layered hair with a u shaped hemline. My layers range from 12 to 24 inches. I cut my hair myself.

I love it. I can wear my hair down without my hair poofing sideways so much. My hair doesn't get in my face as much. I don't have problems with updos, though braids don't look as good. It probably helps that I have wurly hair and I condition a lot, making the hair clump together better.

vanillabones
August 17th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I have it straight across at the bottom and long layers that have been trying to catch up that start around shoulder now so it looks like a U I imagine but I never wear my hair down.

Lady Neeva
August 17th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Assuming the last time that I had APL hair was at 11 of age, I assume my hemline then was at the same stage now.
Blunt with layers for the last three inches or so.

ddiana1979
August 17th, 2012, 10:41 PM
I had layers at that length because I was growing out a shorter haircut. I personally wouldn't recommend adding layers, unless you plan on keeping them, because you'll end up having to cut them out later if you want a thick hemline. If you're planning on keeping layers (some people with really long hair do have layers, and it can look quite lovely) throughout -or- if you eventually want fairytale ends, it shouldn't matter too much. I agree with Madora that layers can be tricky in updos though. They seem to pop out in unlikely & undesired locations.

BrownEyedBeauty
August 18th, 2012, 06:38 AM
I wouldn't add layers. With your hair being fine, the blunt ends will make your hair appear thicker. Also, many people who cut layers into their hair, oftentimes regret it and end up having to cut more at a later date to achieve blunt ends again.

I know its not easy, but try to be patient as it regrows. Wearing it up a lot will also help to take the focus off of the current length.

Rufflebutt
August 18th, 2012, 07:33 AM
If you aren't positive that you want layers, I would just stick out the bad hair cut and wait until it grows longer. Layers are a nightmare to grow out!

Rufflebutt
August 18th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Layers aren't a good idea if you're going to try wearing updos when your hair is longer. The layered bits keep popping up in places where they shouldn't be and are a holy trial.

All you can do with your hair is continue to handle it gently and be patient. Growing healthy hair takes time. Average growth is 6 inches a year. Some grow faster, others slower.

You might want to try daily scalp massages to help with follicle stimulation.

Refrain from anything that might harm your hair..i.e. blowfrying, hot curlers, hot irons.

I agree, I love updos but until my layers get longer I'm limited to a lazy wrap bun. :c

HintOfMint
August 18th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I definitely had layers at that length. It definitely gives a more "styled" look to loose hair above BSL. It's tricky to pull off a blunt hemline to lengths between shoulder and BSL.

Also, as counterintuitive as this may seem, layers at APL made my hair look longer. It was weird.

sazzie88
August 20th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I know that many of you advised against layers. But some of you also like them.

I am growing out a fringe that is now an inch below chin. I cut some very very faint layering into the front of the hair to even the bluntness of the fringe to front of the hair. I really like it even though it's barely noticeable. It just feeLs like I'm making no progress. Grrr

jojo
August 20th, 2012, 05:17 PM
My hemline was U shaped from apl to bsl, I'm now back at waist with a blunt hemline as I prefer my ends to look blunt and thick.