PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas how to secure thick bsl without pain?

Jorja
August 17th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I had waist length last year, and could do a bun just with a stick, but had loads cut off and have started from just past shoulder and now at bsl. My hair is so thick, if I twist it to make a bun, it just won't even meet itself in a single loop and just springs out of the stick.

I can plait it, fold the plait in half and secure it with a stick, but nothing else. I've tried the hairstyles of the month, but with not much luck.

I want my hair back!!

I don't post much, but I'm always a-lurking. So, I'd like to thank everyone who's ideas I've copied and now my hair is in the best condition it's ever been. I've got 7 open bottles of coneless hair conditioners on the go lol. Love Inecto coconut best.

pink.sara
August 17th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Sorry to say I'm in the same boat at BSL, a Cinnabun needs a ponytail first, then about 4-5 spin pins to hold. I use a sock bun quite often but am patiently waiting for waist or hip where hair stick buns should be possible.

Another thing I do is separate my hair like I'm about to do a half up, bun the top section then wrap the bottom around.

Maybe this would be possible?!

Hope it gets there for you soon :)

florenonite
August 17th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Another thing I do is separate my hair like I'm about to do a half up, bun the top section then wrap the bottom around.

I do this a lot. With things like braided buns and rose buns I'll do two or more braids rather than one, as well. The vortex bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRhVn1n8gpM) and split bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=159) (with the hair wrapped around one finger) both work for me, too.

Other than that braids are awesome ^_^

Hollyfire3
August 17th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Sorry to say I'm in the same boat at BSL, a Cinnabun needs a ponytail first, then about 4-5 spin pins to hold. I use a sock bun quite often but am patiently waiting for waist or hip where hair stick buns should be possible.

Hope it gets there for you soon :)

I do this idea like you suggest. Luckily, my hair is wurly so it loves to stick to itself, so although my bun can only go around once at BSL, it stays because of my texture. Also, its very sad when a non rolled sock bun (with the extra hair just wrapped around) is smaller then my actual cinnabun lol.

Madora
August 17th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I had waist length last year, and could do a bun just with a stick, but had loads cut off and have started from just past shoulder and now at bsl. My hair is so thick, if I twist it to make a bun, it just won't even meet itself in a single loop and just springs out of the stick.

I can plait it, fold the plait in half and secure it with a stick, but nothing else. I've tried the hairstyles of the month, but with not much luck.

I want my hair back!!

I don't post much, but I'm always a-lurking. So, I'd like to thank everyone who's ideas I've copied and now my hair is in the best condition it's ever been. I've got 7 open bottles of coneless hair conditioners on the go lol. Love Inecto coconut best.

Have you tried this style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

The thing with thick hair is that you get more "mileage" out of it if you section it, instead of trying to get all of it in one bun.

Sectioning is dividing the hair like this:

1) Make a horizontal part around the back of your head..from the top of one ear to the top of the other

2) Take all the hair ABOVE the part, detangle it gently, then coil and make a bun. Secure with crimped hairpins

3) Take the remaining hair, detangle gently, then coil the hair around the bun already in place. Tuck the tassle under the bun.

You can also do this style with double braids (braid them loosely)

Also, this sectioning can help with the cameo bun...rose buns, double twists.

Jorja
August 17th, 2012, 11:55 AM
[
QUOTE=pink.sara;2265682]

I've just washed my hair, but I'm definitely trying that tomorrow. Thank you!

With things like braided buns and rose buns I'll do two or more braids rather than one, as well. The vortex bun and split bun (with the hair wrapped around one finger) both work for me, too

I like the relaxing music on the vortex bun btw. I really hope they'll work with the sectioned hair

The thing with thick hair is that you get more "mileage" out of it if you section it, instead of trying to get all of it in one bun.

I love that style, It looks like my arms would ache after though lol. I'm definitely hopeful for the hair division, it seems like it would be much easier to manage.

Thank you all for taking the time to help. If one bun is great, two will be amazing I reckon. :D I will manoeuvre my camera and try and post the results if I can. My present avatar is from when I was waist length (and more wavey for some reason!)

~honeyflower~
August 17th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Those are beautiful buns everyone! one last tip Jorja, since the title says "how to secure thick bsl without pain?" I usually put my bun at the top of my head, it prevents those headaches that you get from the weight from the bun due to gravity. If you have any of those scrunchies around those are a big help too. I have better success with those at bsl than hairsticks, so for now I have the hairsticks in a drawer waiting for my hair to grow to waist or until I can get my hair to stay in them. Hope I helped and good luck!

Elithia
August 17th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I couldn't make hairstick-only buns at BSL, but I did have some success with a hairstick+scrunchie as a slide. I don't have any pictures of my hair at that length, but essentially I would

-do the lame little loop twist that was all my hair could pull off at that length
-where the end was I'd put the hairstick under the twist, THROUGH a scrunchie
-stretch the scrunchie across the bun
-bring the hairstick under the twist and then up on the other side
-secure the scrunchie over the end of the stick.

That's probably difficult to follow. I'm down with the flu, but if I am up to it I can take some pictures later. :)

Jorja
August 18th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Thanks honeyflower. I tried that bun to sleep in, but in the morning, my hair ached at the roots, it didn't like pointing up instead of down I think lol.

Elithia, I'm intrigued and would love some pictures, I can't visualise what you're saying in my head but it sounds good!

I tried to crown braid video this morning, and it worked in a messy way. I just need to practice it, but it is definitely workable, thank you! I'm going to double bun it today and go out in the sun today. Wondering whether oiling it first would be a good thing or bad. I know oiling my skin would be bad. Ouch.

florenonite
August 18th, 2012, 03:45 AM

I've never been able to get that one to work because I end up with a thick, short twist at the end that I have to try and tuck into the nice sleek braid across the top of the head and the result is ... messy. What does work for me is the Dutch crown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y6OJBxBWGo).