PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying Help - Pre-oiling/CWC?

louzen
August 17th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I'm going to clarify this evening with AO Green Tea clarifying shampoo, and wondered if it's ok to do a deep oiling beforehand or even CWC (with the wash being the clarifying shampoo). I want to protect my scalp as much as possible since it's prone to dryness, but also want to clarify the scalp from build up along with the hair.

Would deep oiling or CWC be counter-productive to clarifying?

What routine do you guys follow?

Madora
August 17th, 2012, 09:52 AM
If your object is to clarify your hair, then why put anything on it beforehand?

Clarifying strips your hair of all buildup, etc. Afterwards, you can do a deep conditioning treatment.

louzen
August 17th, 2012, 09:56 AM
I guess I want to clarify my scalp more than anything, and since it's dry/sensitive I wanted to protect it as much as possible from the drying effects of clarifying, thus was wondering about pre-oiling or CWC.

Madora
August 17th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I guess I want to clarify my scalp more than anything, and since it's dry/sensitive I wanted to protect it as much as possible from the drying effects of clarifying, thus was wondering about pre-oiling or CWC.

Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying shampoo has received good reviews here (you can check them out in the "Reviews" see the grey menu bar, above).

After you've clarified, you can do whatever deep treatment you prefer.

evb
August 17th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Ah a thread that kinda discusses my current interest. I had been using shampoo bars with ACV rinse for a while {post the CSC intro phase} and ran out of my shampoo bar. My littlest one thought it was a body soap and used it all up! So I used the shampoo sitting round the house: pantene for thin hair. I just got a shampoo bar in so am thinking clarify and after reading the clarify clarifying thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10692) I am confused. I don't condition my hair at all. Sometimes I put in a wee bit of coconut oil or nightbloomings balm from ears down. I have even been considering trying to oil shampoo oil. Is oiling not considered moisturizing or conditioning?

What is the difference between oiling, conditioning and moisturizing? Winter cometh and curious minds want to know

Dang3rousB3auty
August 17th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Ah a thread that kinda discusses my current interest. I had been using shampoo bars with ACV rinse for a while {post the CSC intro phase} and ran out of my shampoo bar. My littlest one thought it was a body soap and used it all up! So I used the shampoo sitting round the house: pantene for thin hair. I just got a shampoo bar in so am thinking clarify and after reading the clarify clarifying thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10692) I am confused. I don't condition my hair at all. Sometimes I put in a wee bit of coconut oil or nightbloomings balm from ears down. I have even been considering trying to oil shampoo oil. Is oiling not considered moisturizing or conditioning?

What is the difference between oiling, conditioning and moisturizing? Winter cometh and curious minds want to know

Well...oiling seems to do some conditioning, but I have never really put oil in my hair and have it feel "soft" after washing it out, it seems oiling mostly helps strengthen and kind of coat the hair in a protective layer(can also penetrate the hair to strengthen from the inside). Conditioning is feeding your thirsty hair, first ingredient is usually water, so you hair kind of drinks it up and it helps makes it super soft and more moisturized. Moisturizing I would have to assume is about the same as conditioning, maybe it just adds that extra oomph of moisture for really really dry hair(like moisturizing conditioner vs just regular conditioner).

That is just my experience with my own hair, but I could totally wrong here :P

And I definitely agree that oiling before hand is kind of pointless if you are trying to clarify. I suppose if you are only clarifying your scalp then you could protect your ends from the harshness of the shampoo with an oil or conditioner.

louzen
August 18th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying shampoo has received good reviews here (you can check them out in the "Reviews" see the grey menu bar, above).

After you've clarified, you can do whatever deep treatment you prefer.

Thanks for the recommendation Madora, but unfortunately I can't use SLS on my scalp since it's very sensitive and causes it to break out in dermatitis. Thus why I am using AO Green Tea Clarifying shampoo. I just clarified now, and then heavily conditioned. I only left the conditioner on for about 2 minutes though, and then rinsed off. I hope my scalp doesn't scream at me when it dries :rolleyes: