PDA

View Full Version : My hair rapidly loses moisture?

Rufflebutt
August 17th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Ever since stretching washes, I noticed by the second day that my ends are very dry. I usually put some leave in conditioner and some EVOO on them and put my hair in a bun for the day. But by the end of the day, they feel dry again.

Is there a reason my ends loose so much moisture so fast? Is this normal? Is it because my ends are damaged?

Silverbrumby
August 17th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Ever since stretching washes, I noticed by the second day that my ends are very dry. I usually put some leave in conditioner and some EVOO on them and put my hair in a bun for the day. But by the end of the day, they feel dry again.

Is there a reason my ends loose so much moisture so fast? Is this normal? Is it because my ends are damaged?

I get this as well. I use shea butter on the ends or coconut oil and it helps.

earthnut
August 17th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Normal. I use olive oil.

OhioLisa
August 17th, 2012, 09:48 AM
The damage could definitely be a reason. Also, have you clarified lately? If not, that might help.

Madora
August 17th, 2012, 09:50 AM
You may be over doing it with both EVOO and conditioner on the ends. Too much stuff can dry out your hair.

You might want to try a few drops of just mineral oil on those ends. Dampen the hair first so that it is wet but not dripping. Add 2 or 3 drops of MO on your palms, then apply your palms to the ends.

Rufflebutt
August 17th, 2012, 09:51 AM
You may be over doing it with both EVOO and conditioner on the ends. Too much stuff can dry out your hair.

You might want to try a few drops of just mineral oil on those ends. Dampen the hair first so that it is wet but not dripping. Add 2 or 3 drops of MO on your palms, then apply your palms to the ends.
Would baby oil work for this? I know that baby oil is mainly mineral oil.

earthnut
August 17th, 2012, 10:07 AM

baby oil is just scented mineral oil.

brave
August 17th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I think this is normal. I suspect it means you have more porous hair than normal, maybe (paging earthnut back to the page). For me it means I need to use a heavier conditioner.

Silverbrumby
August 17th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I think this is normal. I suspect it means you have more porous hair than normal, maybe (paging earthnut back to the page). For me it means I need to use a heavier conditioner.

I'm going to try the baby oil. My hair is so porous on the ends.

salamander
August 17th, 2012, 10:34 AM
If it's happening that fast, my guess would be that it's an illusion from buildup and you need to clarify.

But if that doesn't help, try moisturizing your ends every night. I put my hair in two braids to sleep, and when my ends are drying out I wet the braid tassels then dip them in coconut oil (or rub a bit into them, depending on the temperature of the house). I had to do this consistently for about a year after starting LHC hair care approaches before my ends would really retain moisture.

Wildcat Diva
August 17th, 2012, 10:42 AM
My ends do this too. I use Nightblooming Panacea for the ends, and just keep oiling them heavier and heavier until it's time to wash again, it seems.

hellucy
August 17th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Mine have started doing this recently.... I clarified which made no difference.
My ends are not damaged so I know its not that, I think I have just always had thirsty hair & I will have to go back to super moisturising S&C again.
Now I apply sweet almond oil every night & it has generally 'soaked in' by morning & my ends feel better for most of the day.

MissCoco
August 17th, 2012, 12:51 PM
There have been some good suggestions so far, but I also want to add that you could try using honey in your next hair treatment; honey is a humectant, which means it attracts and retains moisture. Just make sure you don't add in too much and dilute it well with any oils or butters you use :)

ETA: Oh, and have you tried ACV/WV rinses? Those usually work really well at keeping hair smooth and soft.

Madora
August 17th, 2012, 01:07 PM

Yes. Baby oil is the same. Johnson and Johnson makes baby oil that contains just MO plus a fragrance. Additives make mo less effective.

MO works best on hair that has been clarified first BUT you can use it also for helping keep your ends moisturized longer. Since it is so lightweight, you need only 2 or 3 drops. I use 4 drops on my hair to detangle and condition after shampooing. Great stuff!

ETA: Best used on damp hair (not sopping wet). Can be used on dry hair as well, but you derive more benefit from the MO on damp hair.

Anje
August 17th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I may be the only person who experiences this, but I get that effect whenever I use silicone-containing products, especially serums but also conditioners to a lesser extent. So if you're still experiencing it when you've tried some of the other remedies mentioned, do try clarifying your hair and using only silicone-free products for a little while. It might make a difference.