PDA

View Full Version : Question about Baking soda and conditioner!

Buffy
August 17th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Hey guys! :)
Today i 'm planning to wash my hair with baking soda-and then rince with vinegar.
I don't plan to make this a regular thing(for now) , i just wanted to try it as a "clarifying" experiment.

So here's what i thought i'd do, and i'd like your opinions:i

1) Should i use a diluted mix(1 tbs soda-1cup of water) and pur it over my wet hair? Will this be cleansing enough though? Or since this is my first time trying, i'd be better off using my regular shampoo, rinse it off and THEN use the soda mixture?

2) Since baking soda "lifts" the hair cuticles, i thought after rinsing the baking soda off my hair, it would be a good idea to use a natural mask i have, so that it will be absorbed better. Leave the mask for 5-10 minutes , then rinse out and finish with my vinegar mixture!
What do you think? Any corrections/suggestions?

florenonite
August 17th, 2012, 07:55 AM
I would recommend against using your regular shampoo and the baking soda, as the latter is very drying already. Using a conditioning treatment afterwards should help replenish the moisture.

Kelikea
August 17th, 2012, 07:57 AM
I use about 1 tbs baking soda to 2 cups water in an applicator bottle. Then I squeeze it onto m hair, concentrating at the roots and massage my scalp all over. Rinse with water then use the vinegar rinse. My dilution is about 2 oz vinegar to 14 oz water, again in an applicator bottle, applied the same way. You could apply the mask before the vinegar, if you want to use it. Otherwise, use the mask next time. You don't need to shampoo before the baking soda.

earthnut
August 17th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't shampoo AND use baking soda. One or the other. Both can be drying.

Also, I know 1Tbsp is common on the internet, but I consider that to be pretty concentrated. I find 1 tsp baking soda per 1 cup water to be just as effective and a lot gentler to the hair. Hair does not do well with alkalinity. The less alkaline, the better for your hair. It's best to mix the soda with water before applying to your hair. DO NOT sprinkle dry baking soda onto your hair and then rinse it. DRY STRAW hair will result from that, guaranteed.

I don't know what's in your mask. What are the ingredients? If it's clay based, I would be concerned that it would be drying to the hair. If the mask is acidic, you could skip the vinegar. Baking soda can be harsh because it's alkaline. Vinegar (or other acid) is necessary because it restores the hair's pH balance (slightly acidic). The less time your hair spends in an alkaline state, the better. I'd just go straight to the vinegar.