PDA

View Full Version : Vacation hair prep

minxe
August 17th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Before you go on vacations where you aren't able to spend lots of time on your hair, do you do lots of special treatments beforehand? Do you just practice benign neglect? Or do you make time to baby your hair during your time away? :p

I'm going away for a while and I'm curious as to what others do :D

Chromis
August 17th, 2012, 06:39 AM
I don't spend lots of time on special treatments to start with. On vacation I usually don't wash it at all or only once so I don't have to deal with having a bunch of wet hair while I am traipsing about.

torrilin
August 17th, 2012, 06:46 AM
My day to day routine is benign neglect, so vacations change nothing.

Neglect here means I wash it as needed (currently about once a week), use conditioner as needed (about every time my hair gets wet), fingercomb as little as possible, and keep it up. I prefer updos where I can go a couple days without having to fuss about redoing, but it's not something I stress over. If I'm going to stress, it's more over swapping updo locations to minimize wear and tear.

longNred
August 17th, 2012, 06:49 AM
I just got back from a week long vacation. All I did was wash it a full day before we left. I didn't wash it on vacation, as I didn't want to deal with the wet hair while out shopping/walking. nor use any coconut oil, I didn't want to pack it. All I really did was keep it braided/bunned, combed it out, and BBB'd it.

We vacationed at a lake, so twice I simply rinsed it in the lake, let it air dry on the beach, and damp braided it for going out to dinner. My hair actually looked GREAT on vaca too - not being washed and only lake rinsed.

Kelikea
August 17th, 2012, 06:55 AM
I just make sure it is in good condition before I leave and take a good conditioner with me. If you are at all sensitive to product, like me, then take whatever you usually use and are happy with. Don't try to wing it with local products.

Rish
August 17th, 2012, 06:58 AM
I recently took a holiday to NZ, the only thing I did was packed some of my conditioner/shampoos in little bottles and took them with me to NZ so I could wash my hair. I did not take oils with me to oil my hair prior to the wash, but that was just something I had to sacrifice.

Alexblue
August 17th, 2012, 07:11 AM
If I'm flying (and therefore have a liquid allowance) I will clarify before I go. That way if I'm stuck using cone conditioners on the road, there will be as little build up as possible.

Other than that, no special treatments. However I tend you practice new updos (especially braids) when travelling. Perhaps it's the excitement of being in a new place. It's not planned but just a bit of fun when you're travelling. Last time I taught myself the crown braid, before that a fishtail plait.

earthnut
August 17th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I am only using conditioner right now, so it's easy to pack and quick to wash. So no special pre-treatments.

If for some reason I couldn't bring/use my conditioner, I'd just do a lot of up-dos.

Rufflebutt
August 17th, 2012, 09:08 PM
When I was at precollege for 3 weeks this summer, I basically just practiced benign neglect. :p My hair was still in pretty good condition even though I wore it down a lot of the time. But it's also pretty hardy and doesn't really get a lot of mechanical damage.

RedheadMistress
August 17th, 2012, 10:02 PM
- Ive been a bad traaveller and don't prep but want to in the future . In the past I've just had awful looking and feeling hair, using the hotels schampoo (since they didnt give free conditioner and I was poor) and I usually CO so I'd have this huge frizzzball of a hair, all red hair dye drained off, so it looked pink . . this was in berlin . Just awful hair . hahaah . .

In the future I'd like to take conditioner and important things like oils and a mister bottle . . I just like packing light and don't want one of my SO's to think I'm ridiculous .

but whenever I go to Sweden I like to go without things, give myself a challenge, be forced to try new products . . the water there is way better and I found good cheap conditioner too at ÖB which is hopefully now waiting for me. . and usually there I use EVOO which is the only oil in the house, which is a nice change as well . . :)

minxe
August 18th, 2012, 01:15 AM
If I'm flying (and therefore have a liquid allowance) I will clarify before I go. That way if I'm stuck using cone conditioners on the road, there will be as little build up as possible.

This is a great idea! Thanks so much!

julliams
August 18th, 2012, 02:04 AM
I spend my pre-vacation days coming up with a couple of staple hairstyles that I think I will like in photos and require little time and hairtoys since I won't be bringing much with me. This might seem vain but often I have looked back on photos and thought - why did I do my hair like that??? etc. I was very pleased with my last vacation photos as my hair always looked nice.

Not Lynn Merely
August 18th, 2012, 11:47 AM
This wasn't a vacation, but I went on an out-of-town audit for about a week. I always keep my hair in a cinnamon bun while at client's offices, so I just heavily oiled my length and lightly oiled my crown before we went. A bit of oil at the crown just looks like standard hair product anyway, so I looked professional. I would comb and bun it in the morning, loose it at night, and ignore it the rest of the time. I waited until I got home to wash. It worked just fine for me (YMMV), except that I found all my sheds at once each morning. Another plus was no frizzies tickling my neck or ears.

HadessThera
August 18th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I pack an emergency supply of my most important products and my "quick fix" products, I'm very particular about having my things in order and my hair is also very temperamental and goes crazy for the slightest reason so I always travel prepared, plus who wants to spend time trying to find a certain product and spending money on it that was originally saved for fun holiday things :p