PDA

View Full Version : Do I HAVE to cut?

W2
August 17th, 2012, 05:01 AM
I last had a cut April. Now the ends looks a bit velcro-ish. Normally I would have taken it for splits and cut it. But I started by trying for a S&D ... there was less than 10. So that's not the problem. It might be dry after a summer of sun, saltwater, chlorine water and wind. Even DH have noticed :bigeyes:

So ... would you cut or try to moisture?

WaitingSoLong
August 17th, 2012, 05:12 AM
I would try to "fix" it first. It could be a number of things...protein, build-up, the stuff you mentioned...

In the end it is a personal choice and no you don't HAVE to do anything!

P.S. What you have written as your location below your avatar was on a T-shirt my oldest son had back in high school. It suited him VERY well. lol

bettylibertine
August 17th, 2012, 05:13 AM
I would try to moisturize and (if you haven't done so already) clarify :)
I clarify with 1 part baking soda to 3 parts shampoo whenever my ends start to feel velcro-ey.
Then, if moisturizing and a good clarify don't help then I would suggest a small trim.

HTH! :flower:

ETA: I see WaitingSoLong bet me to it! Could definitely be build up (and all of the other stuff)

TiffanieJean
August 17th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Moisturize! That sounds like a job for Jojoba Oil. It works wonders on my hair. A hair mask with any oil would be helpful.

minxe
August 17th, 2012, 05:24 AM
I would clarify and then moisturize!

W2
August 17th, 2012, 05:24 AM
About the location ... suits me too. Sometimes way to much :(

l'll try with a little bit of work before cutting

Wildcat Diva
August 17th, 2012, 05:29 AM
I would say the same as everyone else. Clarify, and moisturize, including oiling the ends a bit if you can.

WaitingSoLong
August 17th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Thought I mention a chelating shampoo as well. This did better for my ends than just a clarifying shampoo. I no longer have end issues, but it IS summer.

florenonite
August 17th, 2012, 07:37 AM
I'd suggest clarifying followed by an SMT and then re-assess.

spidermom
August 17th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Definitely agree with the suggestion to clarify if you haven't already. I use a clarifying shampoo because baking soda is just too harsh.

I've got dried out ends and have been doing a deep treatment concentrated to the bottom 2/3 of my length about every 2-3 weeks. It makes my ends feel great for awhile. I also coconut oil my length pre-wash (when I remember).

CTH3989
August 17th, 2012, 09:23 AM
What worked for me was clarifying and then doing a deep treatment. Then I did the baggie method every night for at least 3 days. Since then, I have been COwashing, applying a leave in and then adding an oil to seal my ends.

Rufflebutt
August 17th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Moisture. And if that doesn't work, maybe an 1/8 of an inch trim.

BelleLoupGarou
August 17th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Oh my! Im so GLAD you posted this thread!! Ughh....its been two weeks of no heat on my hair, co washing every other day, light shampoo/co mixed shampoo once or twice a week, and evoo deep treatments and oiling my ends daily AND prenatal vitamins. phew!! what a mouthful....and STILL with all that my hair is dry and brittle. Its depressing and Ive been eyeing my scissors wondering if I should just cut and start over. Havent done it yet and I dont think I will, Im going clarify first. ACV rinses are wonderful for my hair and my skin. I put it in the tub and soak. Its amazing! Im just gonna let it grow...get some length and maybe start micro trimming. Hair growing is not for the impatient....and Im impatient... :/

Amber_Maiden
August 17th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I'd definitely use moisture. Try a hair mask, and give it a month.

lapushka
August 17th, 2012, 11:03 AM
I agree with most of the posters above. I'd clarify, then moisturize sufficiently by using a thick conditioner / mask or by using an oil as a deep treatment before washing.