PDA

View Full Version : Parting your hair

kiezel
August 17th, 2012, 02:50 AM
I can never figure out where to part my hair.

Do you go with the natural part? How do you decide where to part it? Mine never seems natural, no matter what I do or don't do to it.

pink.sara
August 17th, 2012, 02:57 AM
I don't have a purposeful parting, and it doesn't really part in the same place on it's own so I just flick it about!

I tried combing it all back when wet and seeing what it did left to it's own devices once but it was a very uneven result. Perhaps this may work for you though?

Tota
August 17th, 2012, 03:48 AM
Mine naturally parts on the right because of my front cowlick. But I like it in the middle so I try to keep it there :) Now that my bangs are almost grown out (and heavier) it's easier because they stay the way I want them.

MintChocChip
August 17th, 2012, 03:52 AM
I prefer a side part (I alternate depending on my mood).

I have been known to experiment with a middle parting but it doesn't look good on me. It is where my hair naturally falls though.

Just experiment and stick with a parting style for a few days and then change it up a bit for a few days and see which you prefer. I took pictures to decide which I liked more. :)

FrannyG
August 17th, 2012, 04:26 AM
Although I like a side part, my hair falls naturally in the middle. I just leave it that way.

SilverDoe
August 17th, 2012, 04:32 AM
I part in the middle. The only natural parting I have is at the back of my head anyways.
When wet & just comb it back with a small toothed comb, push the hair slightly forward from the back of my head so the hair gets lifted from the scalp,
and then I choose one of the lines created by the comb somewhere in the middle, like turning the pages of a book.

TiffanieJean
August 17th, 2012, 04:56 AM
You might not have a natural part. Some peoples hair likes to go back more than to one side. Mine is like that most of the time - no part. Sometimes it likes to go down the middle instead. I used to force a side part, but I don't really care anymore.. lol I just do whatever I feel like doing for the style that day.

pocketfulla
August 17th, 2012, 05:02 AM
I got my hair parted and cut down the middle not long ago, but then it flicked over and to the right & now it's a strange right part. It looks terrible, but just won't stay in the middle :(

Natalia
August 17th, 2012, 05:08 AM
i dont part mine when its up and its up the majority of the time. other than that if i wear i down its 50/50 if i part it and if i do i do a side part generally on the left side

Sarahlabyrinth
August 17th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Mine likes to part itself in the middle, thats ok by me. If I wear it up I don't have a parting.

Suze2012
August 17th, 2012, 05:53 AM
I had middle part for years, then switched to a left part, just recently I've switched to a right part. It didn't like it much to begin with as it was cut a few months ago to allow for a left part. I just cut a few curls at the front and it's behaving itself now.

Simone_Fatale
August 17th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Before I cut bangs, I parted my hair on the 'prettier' side of my face, opposite of my natural part. It took a few weeks to 'train' hair, after that it looked and felt good. :) I never had a center part on the top of the head, I think that side parts are much more flattering on me.

Chamomile betty
August 17th, 2012, 06:27 AM
I don't really have a natural part. I do have 2 double crowns in back and 1 cow lick on my right front hairline. Ill let my bangs part to the left naturally. Since I am wavy/curly I don't use a part.

Lauram
August 17th, 2012, 06:32 AM
I always part mine on the right , and with my last cut, it was cut parted there. But I'm thinking of moving it to the left to give my canopy a break from the elements...my hair is so much softer/finer underneath ...(well I guess not THAT much different since I've started to care more for it)

Elithia
August 17th, 2012, 01:32 PM
My experience is that a "natural" part is really just wherever it has been parted most frequently.

Till I was 15 I parted down the middle naturally. Then I switched to a left side part, which became natural after about 3 months of forcing it to stick there. I wore it that way about a year, and then decided I wanted a right side part instead. The first few weeks on the right it kept wanting to go back to the left, but I stuck with it and that too became natural.

Now I part it differently every day (I alternate left-right daily, and try to vary how extreme I make the part), which I think helps prevent damage by repetition. I hope.

cooklaezo13
August 17th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Mine doesn't seem to have a natural parting. I part it on my left side because I think the way it looks suits my face the best.

auburntressed
August 17th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I don't know if I have a natural part, but my hair is very cooperative when it comes to training a part. It takes about three to four days at most of parting my hair in a certain spot before it wants to go there naturally. I constantly change it up.

What I have yet to master is a zigzag part... No idea how to make that work.

see_turtle
August 17th, 2012, 04:26 PM
I do mine on my left. I line it up with the tip of my eyebrow near my nose. Every. single. day. hair up or down braided or bunned.

Amygirl8
August 17th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I part mine to the left. I have a big forehead and a middle part accentuates it, so I prefer to have it on the side so I get a side-bang-ish effect :]

Kyla
August 17th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Mine parts at the side, but I think it's been "trained" to do that since I've had the same part since I was 14. Before that I always did it down the middle (which was not flattering for my face), and I don't think I had a natural part at all.

earthnut
August 17th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I had a natural side part when my hair was shorter. My part naturally falls about center now. Usually, I just let my hair do its own thing. Sometimes I make a side part (where it naturally was) because I prefer that.

Dang3rousB3auty
August 17th, 2012, 06:19 PM
You can just "train" your hair to part whichever way you want. I usually part to the left, and if I try and part it differently then I have hairs that want to just flip back over to the left again. I do have longish bangs though, and I am sure if all my hair were the same length it would just part wherever I wanted it to.

Perididdle
August 17th, 2012, 06:54 PM
I have a natural dead-center side part but my head/face shape just...doesn't look good with it. I part on the side. I just kind of brush my hair back, stick my brush where abouts I think the part will work (usually about a tight three- to four-finger width from the center) and brush it all over. It moves a bit day to day, but it's comfortable. Just sort of grab an area that seems to work, and start experimenting!

dwell_in_safety
August 17th, 2012, 07:36 PM
My hair is crazy if I leave it to part itself. I always alternate between parts slightly left and right of center and a little bit farther from the center of my scalp; I never part in the middle. Don't look good that way.

JoieBruce
August 17th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I have a natural left part, and always have. It drove my mother crazy when I was a kid. Even updos look parted on the left. It does not matter what I try, it goes back to that part. Always. I no longer try to fight it.

BrightEyes
August 17th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I have a natural left part, and always have. It drove my mother crazy when I was a kid. Even updos look parted on the left. It does not matter what I try, it goes back to that part. Always. I no longer try to fight it.

This is me too. My hair refuses to part anywhere but the left side. I don't mind, it hurts my scalp to try parting anywhere else.

vanillabones
August 17th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I used to part mine from right to left and hairdressers have told me my natural part is slightly to the left. I part my hair to the left. I could see my hair being fine having a middle part if it wanted but I don't part it deeply or heavily anymore just slightly to the left :)

I tried switching it every other month but that annoyed me.

earthnut
August 17th, 2012, 10:11 PM

My daughter's hair is like that, though hers is on the right. Drives me crazy! :dizzy:

BrownEyedBeauty
August 18th, 2012, 06:41 AM
I almost always part my side on the right. Sometimes I will part it to the left. It can make my hair appear thicker on top and my scalp feels good when the part is sometimes moved.

jacqueline101
August 18th, 2012, 07:15 AM
I change mine depending on my hair do.

sloth
August 18th, 2012, 08:06 AM
I don't know if I have a natural part. My hair just sort of does whatever. I used to keep it parted to the center, and still do sometimes, but mostly I part it on the right, because I have a scar on the left side of my face and that way my hair covers it.

Even when I have a middle part, I have the front of my hair parted separately to the right, because said scar messed up my left eyebrow and I hate it.

dollyfish
August 18th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Just to throw it out there, nobody really has a naturally occurring part. The part in hair is caused by how often hair is parted, because the weight of the hair presses on the follicles and changes their direction. It's possible to (as others have said) "train" your hair to part another way if you're consistent.

This is why these days many boys "don't have" parts, because their parents have always combed their hair straight forward, or straight back, never letting the follicles settle in one particular direction. Long-haired people I know "without" a part are people who often comb their hair straight back.

The world is your oyster :cheese:

Amber_Maiden
August 18th, 2012, 09:05 AM
The way my hair falls in the morning is it's natural part. That's my rule anyways. Then I just brush it the way it wants me to brush it, and it just falls into place.

KwaveT
August 18th, 2012, 12:07 PM
My part does it slightly more to the right side of my head. I want it closer to center of my head but I would have to train it that way. I mostly use a hairband so it gets forced straight back in the front.

maborosi
August 18th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I don't know my 'natural' part- I used to have it down the middle when I was younger, but now I part it on the left side, because my bangs are side-swept and not straight.

~maborosi~

earthnut
August 18th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Just to throw it out there, nobody really has a naturally occurring part. The part in hair is caused by how often hair is parted, because the weight of the hair presses on the follicles and changes their direction. It's possible to (as others have said) "train" your hair to part another way if you're consistent.

This is why these days many boys "don't have" parts, because their parents have always combed their hair straight forward, or straight back, never letting the follicles settle in one particular direction. Long-haired people I know "without" a part are people who often comb their hair straight back.

I'm sorry, but the assertion that nobody has natural parts is simply not true. Many people have cowlicks that cause a natural part in a certain place. Many people can train a part at a new place, but not everyone. Particularly if one has fine or thin hair, the weight of the hair may not be enough to override the cowlick.

My husband has combed his hair forward his entire life. Yet, his hair always flops to the same side, along a side part.

My daughter has a VERY strong part on one side of her head. No amount of combing or brushing will erase it. Probably as she ages, it will become less prominent. But it might not.

I had a strong side part when my hair was short (you can see it in the buzz cut photo on my profile). I couldn't do anything about it. As my hair has gotten longer, my part has gotten less strong (probably because of the weight of the hair more than anything, because I don't do any particular hairstyle consistently) and now my hair will part just about anywhere.

You simply can't make a blanket assertion.

Shepherdess
August 18th, 2012, 08:08 PM
I am trying to train my hair to keep from parting completely (combing it straight back). It still likes to part down the middle closer to my forehead though.

elbow chic
August 18th, 2012, 08:11 PM
On the left, cause I have more hair on my left side and that makes it even.

Puertoricangirl
August 20th, 2012, 10:04 PM
I have side bangs and think my hair looks best parted kind of deep to the left side. I look weird with a middle part unless my bangs are straightened...my hair is naturally curly/wavy so I prefer to let them air dry naturally and sometimes have to fix my part a little deeper while it is wet.

katfemme89
August 20th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I've always parted my hair on the right side. That's where my mama put it when I was little and that's where it's been ever since, lol! When I part my hair in the middle, I look like a caveman, lol.

palaeoqueen
August 21st, 2012, 06:08 AM
I'm sorry, but the assertion that nobody has natural parts is simply not true. Many people have cowlicks that cause a natural part in a certain place. Many people can train a part at a new place, but not everyone. Particularly if one has fine or thin hair, the weight of the hair may not be enough to override the cowlick.

My husband has combed his hair forward his entire life. Yet, his hair always flops to the same side, along a side part.

My daughter has a VERY strong part on one side of her head. No amount of combing or brushing will erase it. Probably as she ages, it will become less prominent. But it might not.

I had a strong side part when my hair was short (you can see it in the buzz cut photo on my profile). I couldn't do anything about it. As my hair has gotten longer, my part has gotten less strong (probably because of the weight of the hair more than anything, because I don't do any particular hairstyle consistently) and now my hair will part just about anywhere.

You simply can't make a blanket assertion.

This is me too. I have a cowlick at the left of my crown which, combined with very fine hair, means that I simply cannot part it anywhere but on the left. I can try but the hair sticks up in a really strange way, even stylists battling it with heat and brushes can't do it.