PDA

View Full Version : Purple Shampoo Question

Amanah
August 17th, 2012, 02:32 AM
Hi everyone! I have salt and pepper hair that is about shoulder length with some dye on the ends that I'm getting slowly trimmed off.

I love the salt and pepper color of my hair as it is growing out, my color used to be all very dark brown, now its dark and silver and I'm happy with it except for the ends which are still dyed light brown, and are brassy.

I don't want to lose length by getting all the dyed part chopped off, but thought maybe a purple shampoo would brighten my hair all over and tone down the brassy ends.

Has anyone used Purple Shampoo? How damaging is it?

pink.sara
August 17th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Hiya, purple shampoo isn't anymore damaging than a regular shampoo except for the fact you have to shampoo all of you hair rather than just the roots, and for it to be effective you then wait for few minutes before rinsing.

I would say it depends how you like sulphate shampoos as doing this once every 3-4 washes will definitely brighten silvers and tone down brass.

But you could achieve the same effect by buying a temporary vegetable dye like manic panic virgin snow and applying that (some say to dilute with conditioner but virgin snow is so pale it needs to be used full strength really)
Or if you weren't keen on a full head of that, a tiny quarter teaspoon of a blue base purple dye mixed into a palmful of conditioner once every few Weeks works a treat.

Amanah
August 17th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Pink.Sara - thank you for answering, I'm going to try the Manic Panic virgin snow! and maybe also the dye and conditioner :)

pink.sara
August 17th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Pink.Sara - thank you for answering, I'm going to try the Manic Panic virgin snow! and maybe also the dye and conditioner :)

The amplified manic panic virgin snow is great, it took my hair to sparkly white without making it look lilac, and left it feeling very conditioned.

Hope it works for you :)

earthnut
August 17th, 2012, 05:03 PM
You could also add a little kool-aid to your favorite shampoo or conditioner. Then you can use what you already know works for your hair. :bluesmile

I don't know what the best kool-aid combo would be... probably a mix of berry blue and grape?

Amanah
August 18th, 2012, 04:05 AM
You could also add a little kool-aid to your favorite shampoo or conditioner. Then you can use what you already know works for your hair. :bluesmile

I don't know what the best kool-aid combo would be... probably a mix of berry blue and grape?

this is an interesting thought, one I may also try, thank you.

Lilli
August 18th, 2012, 06:00 AM
I have blonde hair and keep purple shampoo on hand (specifically Aveda Blue Malva), which is somewhat in between blue and purple. It makes the most amazing silvery ash highlights and I highly recommend it. It also is very gentle.

Amanah
August 18th, 2012, 06:25 AM
I have blonde hair and keep purple shampoo on hand (specifically Aveda Blue Malva), which is somewhat in between blue and purple. It makes the most amazing silvery ash highlights and I highly recommend it. It also is very gentle.

I'll keep this in mind for my next purchase, the brand I picked up, Joico Color Endure Violet, seems a bit drying. But, that may be because I usually cowash, so sulfates would be more drying.

girlcat36
August 18th, 2012, 06:45 AM
I have the same problem as you, Amanah. I am at least 50% gray growing out light brown(dyed) hair that turned strawberry blonde/brassy. I used the vitamin C method of color removal. I did that three times and it took a lot of the 'strawberry' out of the blonde. Now I am using Prell(with blackberry Koolaid added) once a week since it is good at stripping color. I have also added koolaid to my regular conditioner. I tried using Shimmer Lights purple shampoo and condish, but they were too harsh.
my purple koolaid mixes seem to be toning down the warm tones.
I have gone from a med/light auburn-ish color to medium blonde, which will look much better with the growing in silver. For what it's worth, my natural hair color is dark brown(colored with semi-permanent), but the sun lightened most of my hair to the strawberry blonde color because I work outside.

Amanah
August 19th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Thank for the reply girlcat36, I will experiment with this also.

This week so far, I've tried purple shampoo and Manic Panic (Virgin Snow) toner.

When I looked in the mirror this morning, I can see that my whites have a greyish silvery tinge that makes them blend in more with my dark browns, and the dyed ends are a very neutral color that also blends in well. I can also see that If I don't back off my hair is going to begin looking a bit purply, haha, I may just go there for the fun of it.

So the purple experiment has worked really well to blend the Salt & Pepper and dyed ends all together.