PDA

View Full Version : "Ugh, why so long?"

Rufflebutt
August 16th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Whenever I tell my friends about my goal for classic length hair(I usually just simplify it as "hair that covers my butt"), they usually look at me and say,"ugh why so long?"

I don't think that classic is much longer than what you see as the norm. It's slightly eye-catching and not too shocking to see.

For them, my hip length hair is the longest they would consider "wearable". I wanna prove them wrong!

MidnightMoon
August 16th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Well it depends, what's usual isnt exactly the ''norm''
to me, average is BSL (thats what I mainly see) though until waist and perhaps hip it's seen as common
but thats just like the limit, after that you become a bit ''weirder'' with every inch :P

Perididdle
August 16th, 2012, 10:40 PM
I know for me, personally, the idea of having classic length on my own head gives me the crawlies. This is because I shed a lot and often have static, so I just feel like my hair will rise up in the night and suffocate me. xD

But really, I can't imagine anyone I know being grossed out by classic length. It's out of the "norm", but I think right in the bounds of "mainstream acceptable". Any longer makes people weird, for some reason. Like I said, I couldn't do it, but just thinking of all the great hairstyles you could do with that much length makes me envious!

Rufflebutt
August 16th, 2012, 10:46 PM
I know for me, personally, the idea of having classic length on my own head gives me the crawlies. This is because I shed a lot and often have static, so I just feel like my hair will rise up in the night and suffocate me. xD

But really, I can't imagine anyone I know being grossed out by classic length. It's out of the "norm", but I think right in the bounds of "mainstream acceptable". Any longer makes people weird, for some reason. Like I said, I couldn't do it, but just thinking of all the great hairstyles you could do with that much length makes me envious! I think my hair has the potential to reach classic and look beautiful. :) And I restrain my hair when I sleep so no stranglies. (teehee!)

My hair looks halfway decent even though it's been tortured so much. I think if I baby my hair then I could achieve really pretty and healthy looking hair.

brave
August 16th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Whenever I tell my friends about my goal for classic length hair(I usually just simplify it as "hair that covers my butt"), they usually look at me and say,"ugh why so long?"

"In case I ever run out of TP."

Can't argue with that!

Rufflebutt
August 16th, 2012, 10:51 PM

Can't argue with that!ROFLMAO! I love that. XD

Perididdle
August 16th, 2012, 10:58 PM
I think my hair has the potential to reach classic and look beautiful. :) And I restrain my hair when I sleep so no stranglies. (teehee!)

My hair looks halfway decent even though it's been tortured so much. I think if I baby my hair then I could achieve really pretty and healthy looking hair.

Go for it! Healthy classic length is simply gorgeous, regardless of how I worry about my own being that long and staying trustworthy, and a real testament to the work it takes to grow out your hair like that. People really don't get how much care and energy can go into getting beautiful, long hair. I love seeing beautiful classic length on others. I wonder what people you tell about CL would think when they actually see it that long. Maybe they just can't visualize it?

Even when I get to BSL, I'll have to start braiding my hair at night. I just remembered sleeping on my hair as a kid, sitting up carelessly while sitting on it, and having it yank. Yeah, I'm not cut out for it. CL and longer: the few, the proud, the brave. :D

jeanniet
August 16th, 2012, 11:02 PM

Can't argue with that!
Lol, for at least two years every time my husband or kids ask how long I'm growing my hair, my stock answer has been, "Long enough to wipe my butt." It's true enough--classic length--but also disgusts them in a most satisfactory way. :p

TheWhiteRabbit
August 16th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Well it depends, what's usual isnt exactly the ''norm''
to me, average is BSL (thats what I mainly see) though until waist and perhaps hip it's seen as common
but thats just like the limit, after that you become a bit ''weirder'' with every inch :P

You are so right. Its weird how people act about hair, of all things!

SongofLove
August 16th, 2012, 11:51 PM
I wonder what people you tell about CL would think when they actually see it that long. Maybe they just can't visualize it?

I agree with this! I know I used to think knee length would be weird-looking until I saw some knee-lengthers on LHC. Jaw-droppingly awesome :D

I guess you'll have to prove them wrong, Rufflebutt!

4C4rly4
August 17th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Yea I don't get why people are so disgusted by classic length hair! If you take care of it and it's in good condition, then why isn't it just as beautiful as the "normal" hair length? Just because something is not considered normal, it doesn't make it a bad thing. But I guess since people aren't used to hair that long, they think it looks strange.

spidermom
August 17th, 2012, 09:17 AM
This is the one and only time I will ever use my hair length and wiping my butt in the same sentence -- ick! Don't say that to people!

I think people have a hard time imagining hair at that length. My own DD told me "no - that won't look right" when I told her my goal of classic length. Now she protests if I ever talk about cutting back to a shorter length.

It's your hair; do what you like with it. Other people will adjust.

jacqueline101
August 17th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I want tail bone length hair people look at me like why so long. Then they tell me I'm too petite for long hair.

Demi-Plum
August 17th, 2012, 09:48 AM
My response would be to look at them and go "ugh, why so short?" referring to their shorter styles of course.

Tota
August 17th, 2012, 10:32 AM
My response would be to look at them and go "ugh, why so short?" referring to their shorter styles of course.

Exactly!

I have one friend who is already disgusted by my bsl hair. Everytime we meet she asks me when will I go to the salon and that my hair is too long and boring looking and just bleh. Every-bloody-time! :rant:

MintChocChip
August 17th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Hmm, I've had that too! It's so annoying. But what I thought was bizarre was somehow we got onto the subject of hair when I was on a first date a month back, my date remarked that he thought my hair was quite long. I laughed and said I wanted it a lot longer. He seemed really taken aback by this!

He then asked me how long I wanted my hair, of course I told him the truth and said I wanted my hair to my waist. Which I don't consider to be particularly long. He seemed really shocked, and said that he thought having hair that long was weird. :confused:

What a way to make a good first impression on a first date. :laugh:

RubySlippers
August 17th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Lol!

My sister (who I love, and have a great relationship with, and have bought a house with, but who really doesn't get the hair thing) thinks hair too long is gross too.

I tried to ask her if it was because she thought long hair would be old and damaged, but she said no, it just creeps her out and looks gross.

I love her well reasoned arguments!

What really makes me laugh though, is that she describes my goal length as "cult length" hair, and warns me that if I wear it in a braid down my back i'll look like I'm in a cult!

Oh sister, broaden your world view! :D

ETA: ironically, her own hair is bleached and straightened to death and personally I find that much damage not very nice, but of course I can't say that because it would be offensive to take issue with 'normal' hair!

sloth
August 17th, 2012, 10:53 AM
I think people just aren't used to it.

Growing up my one friend had classic length hair. We used to tease her about it, mainly because her father had forbidden her to cut it. It's really beautiful, though, and when she did get it cut it was only to waist length. Another friend of mine also has classic length hair.

Although, personally, I never tell people I want waist-length (maybe longer) hair. Mostly because I'm afraid I'll never get there... :c

spidermom
August 17th, 2012, 10:56 AM
I remember my team leader telling me when I was training to be a cosmetic consultant that some people look at long hair, and they think about hair wads in the drain and hair on their furniture and hair in their food and pretty much gag. People like me see long hair and admire the flow, the shine, etc. She instructed me to wear my hair up when working with customers to protect that first group, and it was only about APL at the time.

HylianGirl
August 17th, 2012, 11:12 AM
BSL is the norm? I'd say APL is more like it. Latelly I've finally reached BSL and more than 3 people commented how my hair is soo long! And then I tell them that I'm still growing it and they go like "Why?".

Also I have a friend who also likes long hair, but she also loves layers, (her hair is almost BSL with some layers at chin length) and she doesn't understand why I like long hair with blunt cuts. She says it makes people look like extreme religious. I don't get it. I mean, I still dress in jeans and t-shirts....

@RubySlippers I think a braid down the back with long hair looks so pretty! I can't wait for my hair to be really long so I get to do that ^-^

PeaceTeaRules
August 17th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I think that a long braid down the center of the back would be gorgeous as is long hair within itself. I used to have long hair before third grade where I was going through a crisis and "wanted to be a boy" so I snuck scissors into the girls bathroom and chopped it!! :mad: :agape: That's something I'm never doing again... I've had it short at pixie until I found this site last year and now I'm just envious at others long hair. I tell people about my goal length "terminal" actually that's my last goal but anyway... they say "are you crazy?" and I just politely say yes! Yes I am!! :p

People that aren't on TLHC or other hair care forums or who have long hair IRL wouldn't seem to get it... "Men have their cars; LHC'ers have their hair." :D

Long live LHC!!

AgnesONutter
August 17th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I think each person have their own length that they are comfortable with. Personally, I prefer my hair somewhere in between armpit length and waist. That's when it is the most manageable, both up and down. Any longer than waist, and I start to feel I need to wear it up all the time to keep it from tangling and being in the way. I once had hair so long that I could almost sit on it (just a matter of actually being able to tuck it under) and it annoyed me like you wouldn't believe when it was loose, or just in a braid, especially when...you know, in the bathroom in the middle of the night. And well...any shorter than armpit length I just start to miss the length.

I personally believe in live and let live. No reason getting annoyed with people who don't understand...it is your hair and their hair is theirs. You don't have to love what the other person is doing to theirs, and they don't have to love yours. :)

spidermom
August 17th, 2012, 12:30 PM
So true AgnesONutter.

Henrietta
August 17th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Go on, prove them wrong and rock your CL hair :) When I told my friend about my goal (it was knee then, now it's CL too) she said it's "ugly and I should not grow my hair so long." Shouldn't sounded like mustn't. That's the world in which BSL hair means "wow, long!"

JoieBruce
August 17th, 2012, 12:39 PM
One of my best friends buzzed her hair in March. She LOVES short hair, and it suits her as much as long hair suits me. We have been talking about my goal of classic today, and she loves the idea.

We agreed to live vicariously through one another. Why can't more people be like my wonderful friend?

HylianGirl
August 17th, 2012, 01:21 PM
That's awesome JoieBruce. I've had some people think I dislike short hair, since I love long hair, but realle, I like short hair as well ^-^ I don't think it suits me, but there are many short hairstyles that are awesome.

Venefica
August 17th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I very rarely see anyone with hair longer than waist, a few have had hip length, and even that is very rare around here, most consider long hair to be anything to go longer that shoulder length and most stop at bra strap length, which I agree is a practical length, long enough to put it up and make a short braid but short enough not to worry about tangles or the like and it can be worn lose. Not many see hair which is very long, the only times I have seen women with classic length or longer hair is one girl who go to a RPG convention I go to some times and Indian women. My hairdresser said she had never worked with hair as long as mine. When something is unusual it is natural for people not to understand it.

FrannyG
August 17th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I wouldn't even bother telling anyone what your goal is. As to the question, "Why so long?", the answer would be, "Why not?". :D

auburntressed
August 17th, 2012, 02:09 PM
The only person I've ever discussed my goal with was a former roommate who had hip length hair that she was growing out herself. So I thought she might understand... I told her I wanted my hair to about... here... and indicated with my finger what would be Classic on me.

She screwed up her nose in an absolutely DISGUSTED expression and said, "That is gross. No one needs hair that long!"

Pot calls kettle black, is what I call that.

There is a lady at my job who seems obsessed with how long my hair is. My hair is always up at work - always. She asks me at least once a week, and sometimes several times, "How long is your hair?" I just say, vaguely, "It's pretty long."

I don't know why she keeps asking. I think it is because most of the people I know have crap for all memories, so she probably does not remember having asked me about it already. But then again... the fact that she asks so often would seem to indicate that it is on her mind a lot.

Eniratak
August 17th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I've never got the disgusted 'ugh, why so long' comment. I don't really know how I would react to it, honestly. I just don't understand why other people are so obsessed with how people wear their hair.

I do have a friend, however, that always asks me when I'm going to cut it. He does it to pick on me, but the question does get old.

I think it's different when you actually achieve your goal and people see it, rather than people imagining it on you. You changing your appearance is probably where the comments come from, along with it being out of the norm.

Although, I do have a sort of funny story. My boyfriend and I have a friend who we've both known for a very long time. To him, my hair is just hair and it isn't that big of a deal. Around Christmas time, we took a trip to the mall to gift shop, and a lady came up to me to tell me how pretty my hair was. After we left, our friend commented that he had forgotten that my hair length wasn't normal. XD.

sumidha
August 17th, 2012, 03:35 PM

I had a friend that was growing her hair out and when people asked her why she told them she wanted to be able to garrote someone with her braid... Not necessarily suggesting you do this, but it got some funny responses. ;)

Carolyn
August 17th, 2012, 03:44 PM
My response would be to look at them and go "ugh, why so short?" referring to their shorter styles of course.This was exactly my thought when I read the OP :D I have to ask the OP why she is discussing her hair goals with her friends. Did they ask you what your hair plans are? If so, you can say something like "oh a bit longer" or "I'll know when it's long enough" and then quickly change the subject. No one and I mean NO ONE needs to know your personal hair goals. If asked you can give a polite but vague answer and chances are they will be satisfied. Never ever bring the subject up yourself. You are just asking for trouble if you do. There are those of us who get the long hair thing but most of the rest of the world doesn't. Those are the people who think APL or BSL is really long. Let them have their illusions.

HylianGirl
August 17th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I only talk about my goal length or general hair stuff if people ask me. I know many people are not interested in hair like I am, and I don't wanna bore them xD

AutumnLocks
August 17th, 2012, 06:03 PM
People seem to have so many issues around their hair. I always figured that people who had something negative to say about my hair were jealous. With a few exceptions I have always had nice healthy long hair. My family has always had only good to say about it.
At one place where I worked back in the early 90's lots of the women I worked with would say little snide remarks about my hair. "Look at her! She thinks she's something with that long hair of hers." It didn't take me too long to figure out that the reason they disliked my hair was because al of the guys I worked with were always looking at me with their mouths hanging open.

JoieBruce
August 17th, 2012, 06:55 PM
That's awesome JoieBruce. I've had some people think I dislike short hair, since I love long hair, but realle, I like short hair as well ^-^ I don't think it suits me, but there are many short hairstyles that are awesome.

Exactly. Short can be beautiful, and is on my friend. It looks awful on me. She finds her hair low maintenance, yet for me it would seem high maintenance. To each his or her own.

EdG
August 17th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Whenever I tell my friends about my goal for classic length hair(I usually just simplify it as "hair that covers my butt"), they usually look at me and say,"ugh why so long?"Your friends just need to spend some time at LHC. After a while, they will be thinking "why is most people's hair so short?" ;)
Ed

ravenheather
August 17th, 2012, 07:54 PM
I will feel like a long hair the first time someone says "Ugh, why so long?". So my reaction will probably be just to smile and say why not?

Milui Elenath
August 17th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I think sometimes (not always) that it's the concept that it will be too long, some imagined image of how awful it might look. But often when they see it in actuality they change their mind. This has been the case with most people in my life since I am now just about at classic length. I am not sure where they draw their imagery from because a couple of them admit that it isn't how they thought it would be! :confused:

Rufflebutt
August 17th, 2012, 08:52 PM
This was exactly my thought when I read the OP :D I have to ask the OP why she is discussing her hair goals with her friends. Did they ask you what your hair plans are? If so, you can say something like "oh a bit longer" or "I'll know when it's long enough" and then quickly change the subject. No one and I mean NO ONE needs to know your personal hair goals. If asked you can give a polite but vague answer and chances are they will be satisfied. Never ever bring the subject up yourself. You are just asking for trouble if you do. There are those of us who get the long hair thing but most of the rest of the world doesn't. Those are the people who think APL or BSL is really long. Let them have their illusions.
I'm just really close with my friends so we tell each other everything, I guess. I noticed a lot of LHCers here are very introverted. Nothing wrong with that, but I really enjoy feeling close to the people in my life. :)

I'm already known as a weirdo anyways, so even if they wouldn't try it out themselves they still accept me for who I am.

Rufflebutt
August 17th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Exactly. Short can be beautiful, and is on my friend. It looks awful on me. She finds her hair low maintenance, yet for me it would seem high maintenance. To each his or her own. I love short hair! And I envy those girls who are brave enough to do it. But I really love my hair and all my life I've had long hair. I'm pretty sure I'd look good with short hair but I just prefer it long.

I have a friend who has a buzz cut and she rocks it. In fact, I think it draws more attention to her stunning facial features.

JoieBruce
August 17th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I love short hair! And I envy those girls who are brave enough to do it. But I really love my hair and all my life I've had long hair. I'm pretty sure I'd look good with short hair but I just prefer it long.

I have a friend who has a buzz cut and she rocks it. In fact, I think it draws more attention to her stunning facial features.

Mine has grown her buzz out a bit, and it's now a few inches long. And she looks beautiful. I am not brave enough to cut so short! She's getting married in October, and I'm so excited to see what she does with her hair for her wedding.

I'm just really close with my friends so we tell each other everything, I guess. I noticed a lot of LHCers here are very introverted. Nothing wrong with that, but I really enjoy feeling close to the people in my life. :)

I'm already known as a weirdo anyways, so even if they wouldn't try it out themselves they still accept me for who I am.

My friends and I are the same, we share nearly everything.

LaLaBella
August 17th, 2012, 09:02 PM
My token response to everyone (except my 21 y/o daughter) is "Until I get bored with it.

BrownEyedBeauty
August 18th, 2012, 06:46 AM
I think that as long as it is healthy, trimmed and well maintained overall, it should look great. Some people may have a difficult time visualizing your hair at that length or on the rare occasion when they have seen it, the hair didn't appear so attractive (unhealthy etc...). Prove them wrong!

jasper
August 18th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Hmm. "Ugh" might be my own most frequent reaction to my nearing classic length hair. it is always in my way if it is down. If I want to take a length shot now it is going to be a picture of my butt. Ugh.:lol:

KwaveT
August 18th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I draw raised eyebrows when I tell people that I want at least mid back length hair. Most people just can't picture hair that long on men.

katfemme89
August 18th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I love long hair on men, My husband is growing his to terminal length with me and his is almost at mid back now. Keep growing it, it's awesome! You can read the story of Samson in the bible for inspiration! hehe!

katfemme89
August 18th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I think that anything out of the norm tends to scare people a little bit. Most do not understand the self-discovery that happens when one grows long hair.

I think most people have an aversion to the idea of long hair because most people are thinking of long scraggly witch hair that's never had a trim in its life and has 800 split ends and no shine. But When I had waist length hair in my late teens, I never received a negative compliment about it, that I recall. I always received encouragement and many compliments, because I kept my hair so healthy and trimmed nicely so that the ends were blunt and healthy. But I think that once hair starts looking old and careworn, that's when people start complaining.

But personally, I like being weird and standing out, and regardless of whether or not people like my hair, I will continue to grow it. I think the only person that could convince me to cut my hair is my husband, but i know that is one request he will never make, lol!