PDA

View Full Version : Why are hairbands so bad?

Rufflebutt
August 16th, 2012, 09:15 PM
I know that this forum dislikes hairbands, but I don't understand why.

I mean, I can understand if you have problems with them snagging or it you tie a ponytail too tight in the same spot all of the time. But my hair almost never snags with ponytail holders. I always use the metal-free ones and I make sure not to tie too tight. I often used them for the base of a bun such as a topknot. It makes it a lot easier to get all of my slippery thick hair on top of my head to form into a bun.

MeganE
August 16th, 2012, 09:23 PM

I mean, I can understand if you have problems with them snagging or it you tie a ponytail too tight in the same spot all of the time. But my hair almost never snags with ponytail holders. I always use the metal-free ones and I make sure not to tie too tight. I often used them for the base of a bun such as a topknot. It makes it a lot easier to get all of my slippery thick hair on top of my head to form into a bun.

It depends on the hair. I can't use them much, my hair is fine and thick. When all the weight of my thick hair is tied up in a band, it puts an awful lot of pressure on the fine hairs of my canopy and I get breakage, no matter how I arrange it. But I get breakage whenever I braid, and detangle, and often even when I'm just putting a fork in my hair. Given that I can't avoid it, I do ponytail sometimes when I'm in the mood. But I certainly can't consider it a protective updo, the ends are too exposed and I can't wear it often.

Madora
August 16th, 2012, 09:26 PM

Those elastic ponytail holders, whether covered with fabric or not, are not hair friendly because repeated use in the same place can lead to breakage and eventually thinning hair that is very noticeable.

Also, pulling back your hair puts too much stress on the delicate front hairs...and before you know it, you've got a case of traction alopecia.

Lastly, the dangling hair in ponytails is subject to all kinds of interaction with fabrics, the backs of chairs, and tangles..and tangles means the necessity of having to stop often to detangle..and if you aren't careful detangling properly, breakage ensues.

A ponytail once in a while is fine...but not too often.

vanillabones
August 16th, 2012, 09:29 PM
I have straight slippery somewhat short hair and even using the little girls hair bands that are fabric... my hair wraps around them... and I can feel the pull. I can just tell they aren't as hair friendly when I wear them.

SongofLove
August 16th, 2012, 09:36 PM
I used to put my hair in ponytails simply because back then, I thought it was one of the only easy things to do with long hair (all I saw were braids and ponytails). But I hated ponytails because they would always give me headaches and I thought they looked awful on me (I can't seem to do anything other than a low ponytail without pain). I'm glad that thanks to LHC I see that there are a variety of alternative hairstyles for long hair.

I'm always jelly of people who can wear a high/middle ponytail. If you have strong enough hair to do it, I'd say rock on with 'em :D)

neko_kawaii
August 16th, 2012, 09:53 PM
When I switched from a braid secured with an ouchless band to buns I noticed a marked decrease in splits and broken ends in my last six inches. Also, I no longer have a long braid flopping around, which is kinda nice.

My hair won't stay in a pony no mater where I put it or how tight the band. Give it five minutes and it is wonky. I do use bands to locate the base of a braid that is not french/dutch if I am going to bun it and a band is a must for the base of a rope braid.

I'd say the rule of thumb is hairbands used day after day in the same place will be damaging unless you have super hair, in which case I envy you!

Rufflebutt
August 16th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Those elastic ponytail holders, whether covered with fabric or not, are not hair friendly because repeated use in the same place can lead to breakage and eventually thinning hair that is very noticeable.

Also, pulling back your hair puts too much stress on the delicate front hairs...and before you know it, you've got a case of traction alopecia.

Lastly, the dangling hair in ponytails is subject to all kinds of interaction with fabrics, the backs of chairs, and tangles..and tangles means the necessity of having to stop often to detangle..and if you aren't careful detangling properly, breakage ensues.

A ponytail once in a while is fine...but not too often. I don't use them for ponytails, I use them for the start of a bun. I don't pull them too tight either. Pulling your hair back with a hair stick is pretty much the same thing and I don't have any alopecia because I don't pull them extremely tight.

spirals
August 16th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I pull mine up into a ponybun frequetly and I don't have damage from that.

Kyla
August 16th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Rubbing hair against a non-smooth cloth is going to increase chance of breakage. While the fabric knit of typical hair bands is uniform, it's not smooth enough to be considered gentle on hair, in my opinion. It's not guaranteed to damage hair, but on many people, despite using them properly, loosely, etc, it does. Using a hairstick or fork is a bit different, as the surface is usually so smooth it's unlikely to catch and rub.

If it doesn't damage you hair, that's great. :) However, I would keep in mind the damage is also hard to detect at times, since it's more noticeable at the back of your head.

Perididdle
August 16th, 2012, 10:36 PM
I wore it up every day in middle school and my hair was fine once I figured out the difference between "tight enough to keep it up" and "strangling my hair's will to live".

Honestly, if you're not wearing it super tight for 24 hours a day, and/or you're not seeing breakage, you're probably fine! There are a million worse things you could do for your hair, and if you're here, you probably care about it enough to keep an eye on it and care for it in plenty of other ways. Nothing out there is really a "devil" in terms of hair care, it's just a matter of how it's used. If you like ponytails and they work for you, go for it! Doesn't matter what others say if you're not seeing damage. Your coarse hair may have something to do with it -- mine, too, takes a lot of roughhousing before it gets mechanical damage.

I honestly have zero clue what else I would use for my hair when I wanted to go running or horseback riding...

Kaelee
August 16th, 2012, 10:37 PM

A ponytail once in a while is fine...but not too often.

Why is a ponytail worse than a bun for traction alopecia?

It seems to me, ANY updo would be just as bad because they all pull the hair back/up.

I've worn ponytails for years with no signs of thinning, but my scalp isn't "trained" yet to be able to wear anything else without my scalp hurting. :mad:

earthnut
August 16th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Wearing a ponytail every day, in the same place, is bad.

Pulling the hair really tight to get it into a ponytail (or any updo) is bad.

If you have thin or fragile hair, too much manipulation (of any sort) is bad.

The ones with metal, and the sticky rubber ones can be bad because they catch the hair more.

Ponytail holders in themselves are not bad. You just need to know how to use them properly. I've never had a problem with them, but I don't do the things listed above.

cmg
August 16th, 2012, 10:54 PM
I cant use rubber bands for pony tails at all. They slide off and if I pull them tight I loose heaps of hair from just one occasion.

I nearly always use a hairband similar to this to get the hair out of my face:
https://web.tradekorea.com/upload_file/prod/marketing/mkt_files/company/b/biznoble/img/oimg_CA00183509.jpg
I prefer the ones made of leather or covered in silk. Sometimes I make my own and I therefore have lots of them in all sorts of colors to combine with my clothes or makeup. They do pull though and I have lots of breakage in the area around the face and ears. My hair is usually only chinlength or shorter there. :o It simply doesnt ever have the chance to grow any longer around the ears because of the bands.

I have had a fringe for about three years that I am currently growing out. It has reached the earlobe, which is quite good for that area. Hopefully I can grow it out some more, since I am no longer flat ironing or anything with heat. :)

/ CMG

earthnut
August 16th, 2012, 10:55 PM

It seems to me, ANY updo would be just as bad because they all pull the hair back/up.

I've worn ponytails for years with no signs of thinning, but my scalp isn't "trained" yet to be able to wear anything else without my scalp hurting. :mad:

If you pull any updo really tight, it can cause traction alopecia. Especially if you do the same one in the same place over and over. Ponytails (and hair ties) aren't special in this regard.

Kaelee
August 16th, 2012, 11:01 PM
If you pull any updo really tight, it can cause traction alopecia. Especially if you do the same one in the same place over and over. Ponytails (and hair ties) aren't special in this regard.

That's what I was thinking..I tend to wear a low ponytail that's not tight at all, but I alternate frequently between high/medium pony and low. I never pull it particularly tight.

Greenfire
August 17th, 2012, 07:05 AM
I love using hairbands and had no idea they would hurt my hair, I have several hand carved wooden ones that have velvet on the inside and I always thought that was enough to protect my hair. As I'm growing out my bangs, I need something to hold them back and can't always wear a heidi braid.

I do have a couple of the stretchy ones that close under the nape too, more like a large elastic, but I don't use them a whole lot, but will watch them as they have a metal thing attaching it, but the kind that just goes over the top, I never even considered they could be a problem, I also tie a scarf around my head as a homemade hairband, and wouldn't expect them to be bad here either.

So, we need to hold our hair back, is there anything that isn't bad? Ponytail holders, bad, hairbands bad, hairpins bad, hairspray bad, what on earth can we use to hold our hair back? Mine's not long enough for a hairstick but if a hairband is damaging, then they are too?

Madora
August 17th, 2012, 07:43 AM

Buns can lead to traction alopecia too. If you watched the gymnasts in the last Olympic Games, several of them had very bad cases of traction alopecia from pulling their hair back so tightly. You can have it at the nape as well as in the front and sides.

Bottom line, it is how tightly you pull back the hair when doing ponytails or buns. Many people don't know any better and pull the hair back tightly.

As long as you're careful on how much tension you put on your strands, then updos can be safe and comfortable. It all boils down to practice, practice, practice. And some buns can be done w/o resorting to ponytail holders.

kitekats
August 17th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Well...I do use them for quick buns, because braids destroy my ends (and I get caught on door knobs), while hairstick buns are even bigger pain in the back, they doesn't hold for the whole day and tears my hair out even more, pony is not an option either, the ends are destroyed.

MintChocChip
August 17th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Oh I use them as well! :( After reading these responses though I might finally invest in some hairsticks!

Rufflebutt
August 17th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I love using hairbands and had no idea they would hurt my hair, I have several hand carved wooden ones that have velvet on the inside and I always thought that was enough to protect my hair. As I'm growing out my bangs, I need something to hold them back and can't always wear a heidi braid.

I do have a couple of the stretchy ones that close under the nape too, more like a large elastic, but I don't use them a whole lot, but will watch them as they have a metal thing attaching it, but the kind that just goes over the top, I never even considered they could be a problem, I also tie a scarf around my head as a homemade hairband, and wouldn't expect them to be bad here either.

So, we need to hold our hair back, is there anything that isn't bad? Ponytail holders, bad, hairbands bad, hairpins bad, hairspray bad, what on earth can we use to hold our hair back? Mine's not long enough for a hairstick but if a hairband is damaging, then they are too?
Not large hairbands, but ponytail holder hairbands.

RubySlippers
August 17th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I think we have a tiny bit of confusion over different uses of the term "hairband".

For some it is http://www.goody.com/Products/Hair%20Accessories/Ouchless%20Elastics%20-%20Chocolate%20Cake?colId=3f1096ad-ff15-40eb-9d85-98156ac6c5e6&c_id=1a7ea079-c44c-481e-8d02-db7cd0b32277

And for others the same word means http://www.ficcare.com/Products.aspx?collId=36

I think the OP and the initial responses were talking about elastics/ponytail holders. So your headbands as I would call them, are not a problem in this way.

SerinaDaith
August 17th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Okay so here is a related question, what do I do with my just touching shoulder length hair? It is too short for hair toys but long enough that it tangles when I think about stepping out my front door if it is down. I piggytail it, frenchbraid it and ponytail it. I still can't quite get it all into one pony so I use bobby pins to catch those short hairs at the nape of my neck. I don't want to be causing damage at the start of my long hair journey but I really don't know which is worse. Hair up in covered elastics or hair down getting tossed in the wind.

jacqueline101
August 17th, 2012, 09:12 AM
I don't think using them now and then is bad its when you do it all the time. I've unique hair it doesn't seem to mind the pony tail. I don't get a lot of damage.

florenonite
August 17th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Okay so here is a related question, what do I do with my just touching shoulder length hair? It is too short for hair toys but long enough that it tangles when I think about stepping out my front door if it is down. I piggytail it, frenchbraid it and ponytail it. I still can't quite get it all into one pony so I use bobby pins to catch those short hairs at the nape of my neck. I don't want to be causing damage at the start of my long hair journey but I really don't know which is worse. Hair up in covered elastics or hair down getting tossed in the wind.

I think it's fine if you switch up the style, because you're not placing repetitive stress on the same area of hair. Heck, I've been wearing my hair in the same braid, day and night, for the better part of three months and haven't noticed any damage.

Kaelee
August 17th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Buns can lead to traction alopecia too. If you watched the gymnasts in the last Olympic Games, several of them had very bad cases of traction alopecia from pulling their hair back so tightly. You can have it at the nape as well as in the front and sides.

Bottom line, it is how tightly you pull back the hair when doing ponytails or buns. Many people don't know any better and pull the hair back tightly.

As long as you're careful on how much tension you put on your strands, then updos can be safe and comfortable. It all boils down to practice, practice, practice. And some buns can be done w/o resorting to ponytail holders.

I'm in that weird inbetween stage where I am just learning to do things other than ponytails. My hair isn't *quite* long enough and my scalp isn't trained enough to do much else without being uncomfortable yet! ugh. Anything heavier than a pony elastic (even a scrunchie!) and my scalp goes "oh, ugh! What are you doing to me!" :(

swearnsue
August 17th, 2012, 11:00 AM

I know what you mean. I've been doing a peacock twist and hold it in place with either a Flexi-8 or a Goody Soft Clip.

Madora
August 17th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I'm in that weird inbetween stage where I am just learning to do things other than ponytails. My hair isn't *quite* long enough and my scalp isn't trained enough to do much else without being uncomfortable yet! ugh. Anything heavier than a pony elastic (even a scrunchie!) and my scalp goes "oh, ugh! What are you doing to me!" :(

Trying to accustom your hair to new directions takes a bit of patience. If you find a style you'd like to try, try wearing it that way for an hour, then take it down.

Over time, leave it up a little longer until your scalp no longer protests.

It might be that you are tender headed into the bargain, so might need a longer trial session for each style you want to try.

cmg
August 17th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I think the OP and the initial responses were talking about elastics/ponytail holders. So your headbands as I would call them, are not a problem in this way.
They are to me, as stated in my post. And I think I'm not the only one. My hair doesnt care if its a headband or a hairband, where the elastic or headband goes - there is where the breakage starts for me. Hairloss at the scalp is only a problem for me when I have very long hair and it is very heavy. Bun or braid doesnt matter, anything will pull if your hair is very fine and doesnt seem to sit fastened well on the head :( Long hair is very heavy, if all of it is placed on the head. @Madora: You are of the same caliber as I used to be, doesnt your hair feel heavy sometimes?

/ CMG

SerinaDaith
August 17th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I think it's fine if you switch up the style, because you're not placing repetitive stress on the same area of hair. Heck, I've been wearing my hair in the same braid, day and night, for the better part of three months and haven't noticed any damage.

I try to mix it up I just get worried about causing more damage that I will have to pay for later!;)

I know what you mean. I've been doing a peacock twist and hold it in place with either a Flexi-8 or a Goody Soft Clip.

As soon as I can start twisting I will probably start doing this too but right now half my hair spits right back out like it has a mind of it's own.:rolleyes:

Madora
August 17th, 2012, 07:06 PM
They are to me, as stated in my post. And I think I'm not the only one. My hair doesnt care if its a headband or a hairband, where the elastic or headband goes - there is where the breakage starts for me. Hairloss at the scalp is only a problem for me when I have very long hair and it is very heavy. Bun or braid doesnt matter, anything will pull if your hair is very fine and doesnt seem to sit fastened well on the head :( Long hair is very heavy, if all of it is placed on the head. @Madora: You are of the same caliber as I used to be, doesnt your hair feel heavy sometimes?

/ CMG

cmg, my hair never feels heavy because I usually either wear it in a lace crown braid around my head, or a loosely braided bun on top of my head. When I want to wear a bun on the back of my head, I section my hair first, which helps distribute the weight of my hair comfortably. Sectioning makes wearing updos a lot easier. Granted, not all styles lend themselves to sectioning...but it's a matter of personal preference. Personally, I never could stand my hair in one ginormous clump at the back of my head. Too heavy for me!

Greenfire
August 17th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I think we have a tiny bit of confusion over different uses of the term "hairband".

For some it is http://www.goody.com/Products/Hair%20Accessories/Ouchless%20Elastics%20-%20Chocolate%20Cake?colId=3f1096ad-ff15-40eb-9d85-98156ac6c5e6&c_id=1a7ea079-c44c-481e-8d02-db7cd0b32277

And for others the same word means http://www.ficcare.com/Products.aspx?collId=36

yeah, hahaha, totally wasn't thinking elastics when she said hairband, what you call a headband, is this in my lingo: https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSohh5H1hn-Ct4Pw3HeQ295HnJc_C30gOmSdLvgFt4qAnjws8ci

Keeps the sweat out of your eyes when you play tennis!

PeaceTeaRules
August 17th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Off topic of hair bands or elastics but I was just curious... I have a mob cap that has elastic in it and when I take it off after wearing it for extended periods or a whole day... There's a spot near the nape of my neck where I can feel the indention of the elastic in my hair...

Should I put my hair up under the cap or wear it sparingly? Example being once a month? Advice please and Thank you!! You could move this post if it doesn't belong here... :grin: