PDA

View Full Version : Can you tell if a hair fell out or was pulled from the root?

lilliemer
August 16th, 2012, 09:13 PM
As the title says, is there a reliable way to know if a hair has fallen on its own or if it's been pulled too tightly and dragged out of the root before it was ready to shed? I'm not talking about damaged or broken hairs here but actually pulling the hair out by the root. I want to make sure I'm not pulling my cinnabun too tight.

blondie9912
August 16th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Very good question. I don't think there is a way to tell, because in both scenarios they would still have the bulb at the top.

MeganE
August 16th, 2012, 09:33 PM
It's my guess that a pulled out hair has a thicker bulb than a shed hair, but I don't know.

What about gently shaking your head to see if any sheds fall out, and then compare that bulb to the bulb you get from a yanked hair?

domisimone
August 16th, 2012, 11:05 PM
A shed hair has a bulb because the production of pigment stops when the hair enters the resting phase. So theoretically, hairs that are pulled out prematurely look like broken hairs rather than shed hairs.

piffyanne
August 16th, 2012, 11:19 PM
On me, it seems that shed hairs have a SHORTER root than hairs I actively pull out, and the bulbs on pulled hairs seem more narrow. That may be just the way my OWN scalp rolls, though. HTH :flower: