PDA

View Full Version : First Hair Update (and pic)

LadieRyrie
August 16th, 2012, 06:24 PM
'Ello. I have been on LHC for quite some time without giving any pictures or updates. In fact, I've been a lurker for the past year or so and after seeing all you lovely people's stories, I've decided that it is now my turn to SHARE THE HAIR! And...

http://i45.tinypic.com/29ff42s.jpg

...there you have it! You can actually see some of my silvers from this picture. Lovely silvers. Anyway.

Since I started growing my hair out sometime during August of last year, we'll just say that today is my hair's first anniversary. *throws confetti* I began growing with collarbone length hair after chopping off a very, very badly layered cut, which I must admit was my fault. I have been scissor-happy since I was a young child, and hair, well...hair is a very fun and easy thing to cut. So at the mature age of fifteen, I attempted to layer my mid-back length hair from one of those How-to-cut-your-hair YouTube videos that basically followed this rule:

How to Layer Your Hair Own Hair

!. Pick a random strand of hair, not too thick or too thin (whatever that means)

2. Cut that strand of hair to desired length

3. Repeat

I don't know how in the world people look good when they cut their hair like this, but this girl in the video did. She had very straightened hair, so I think that only people with emo-ish, jagged-y haircuts get away with that. Anyway, I did not get away with it, hid my hair in a bun for a few days, and finally begged my sister to take me to Great Clips or somewhere to get it fixed. I got my hair professionally layered, but since I'd begged the hairdresser to keep my length, I ended up with a mullet and then, like, a tail just hanging down the back. Pretty soon, I hacked off the tail because it looked awful, and that is where I started. Collarbone-length, layered hair with blunt bangs. It actually looked pretty nice, but since I was aiming to grow it out, I hated it.

A year and three trims later (I think I got about four inches total trimmed off), I am now nearly at BSL and a blunt hemline, and my bangs are about two inches below my chin. In the picture above, my bangs are actually in the braid. If the wind blew, maybe a third of them would come out, but I'm soooo happy, because I've been dying for my bangs to be able to stay in ponytails and such, and they are finally at that stage! Yayyy!

I still have three inches of layers left, but they aren't noticeable at all...also cool. That, and the fact that I'm so close to BSL. My hair actually can reach to several of my bra straps in the back, but I'm waiting for it to reach to the lowest one and to reach it in the front as well before I officially declare myself at BSL.

As for hair routines, I still haven't found my perfect routine. It's sad, I know. I currently use SLS-free shampoo and conditioner for simplicity's sake. I've experimented with so many things - WO, CO, baking soda, vinegar rinses, different oils, etc, - but alas! I still have some problems with frizz, shedding, and dandruff/DS. Not big problems, just bothersome ones. The frizz I don't really mind. It just makes my hair a bit floofy. The shedding drives me insane, but I haven't really noticed my hair thickness decreasing, so that also isn't a big deal. I think that the cause of the shedding is the dandruff and DS. I've had DS since I was thirteen and had no clue what that gunk on my scalp was, and I've had the dandruff for a year and a half now. I was about two weeks into trying out CO when I started having dandruff. I immediately stopped COing, but the dandruff didn't go away and has been with me since. I know it probably wasn't the conditioner's fault, just some weird coincidence-timing thing, but I still blame it for causing my dandruff. As those of you with DS might understand, the gunkiness is kind of hard to wash out; and my SLS-free shampoo, being the non-harsh cleanser that it is, doesn't spread easily throughout my hair and so the hair pulls out more easily, hence shedding. I don't have the spreading issues with sulfate shampoo because it's harsher, but it makes my face break out, so I'm SLS-free more for the sake of my skin than for my hair. I've tried oil, vinegar rinses, dandruff shampoo, and scalp scrubs...nothing has worked. But on the bright side, even that is not a huge deal. If I leave my scalp alone and keep my hands off of it, the dandruff is basically unnoticeable. The one thing that makes me really sad is that I can't stretch washes because my scalp just becomes nasty after twenty-four hours. I thought that leaving it alone might actually help my scalp condition, but trying WO proved me wrong because nothing happened. Depressing.
But as a whole, I'm really liking my hair and its increasing length. I'm off to college in two weeks, so I'm going to practice some benign neglect there and hope that I'll be MBL by the time Christmas comes around. Knee-length, here I come, and happy growing to you all!

Loveisaverb
August 16th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Waha it looks so shiny and so healthy, it looks like it came a far way from collarbone length.
Through maybe its just me or the angle, but to me it looks BSL to me.

It sucks that you have tried all these methods and most haven't worked out for you.
Have you tried Mineral oil/baby oil for your frizz? Or even aloe vera gel for hair as well?

Bianca
August 16th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Pretty thick hair :)

Hollyfire3
August 16th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Pretty thick hair :)

My thoughts exactly.:)

Xi
August 16th, 2012, 07:21 PM
:waving:Hello, LadieRyrie! Your hair is looking awesome -- happy growing! :)
P.S. Have you tried Nizoral (or any ketoconazole-containing shampoo)? It successfully banished my dandruff a few years ago.

AcornMystic
August 16th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Your hair is lovely!

My biggest recommendation for dealing with dandruff is to up your oil intake in your diet. Fish oils etc. I'm taking omega 3-6-9 tabs. As an added measure I take Evening Primrose Oil tabs. It's important that your body gets the oils it needs to keep everything working properly. I imagine it's the grease to your engine (body). You'll find your skin doesn't flake either. I find I don't have to oil my hair as often which helps with the cost of argan oil being so ridiculous. That may help.

Knee length is my goal too, yay:). My ultimate one anyway after I reach terminal, if it is longer than knee. Hehe.

SongofLove
August 16th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks for sharing your story! Beautiful, beautiful hair :)

blondie9912
August 16th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Very pretty hair! Your hair grows FAST, btw!

Madora
August 16th, 2012, 09:58 PM
You have a lovely, healthy head of hair, LadieRyrie! Keep up the good work!

Maybe
August 16th, 2012, 10:56 PM
It's really beautiful!

Sarahlabyrinth
August 17th, 2012, 04:42 AM
What beautiful hair! You must be very pleased with it. It does look more like a iii thickness though, rather than a ii. Beautiful thick hair!

TiffanieJean
August 17th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Your hair is so thick! It will grow long easily =) Thanks for sharing your hair story! Those Youtube Video's can be dangerous.. lol I messed up a V-hem line pretty badly the 1st time I tried it (almost 4 months ago). Feye's Self Trim page (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/) has a lot of good info and instructions that actually work.

Lauram
August 17th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Beautiful hair! It grew fast, wow!

millyaulait
August 17th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Looks so thick and lovely! Great hemline too :)

LadieRyrie
August 17th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Waha it looks so shiny and so healthy, it looks like it came a far way from collarbone length.
Through maybe its just me or the angle, but to me it looks BSL to me.

It sucks that you have tried all these methods and most haven't worked out for you.
Have you tried Mineral oil/baby oil for your frizz? Or even aloe vera gel for hair as well?

I think it's the angle. I'm sitting in a rather weird position. But I do have BSL length hair, it's just that I'm waiting until it reaches my lowest bra strap before I'll accept that I'm truly there. Also, I'll have less distance to go until waist length. It's like mind tricks.

No, I haven't tried mineral or baby oil, or aloe vera. I know there's baby oil somewhere in my house, so I'll go hunt that up, and we have aloe vera for, like, sunburns, so I doubt I could use it on my hair. But I'll check that out too. XP Thank you for the suggestions!

:waving:Hello, LadieRyrie! Your hair is looking awesome -- happy growing! :)
P.S. Have you tried Nizoral (or any ketoconazole-containing shampoo)? It successfully banished my dandruff a few years ago.

Why, thank you! No, I have not tried Nizoral. After Selsun and Head and Shoulders, I pretty much gave up on dandruff shampoos, and I also heard that those shampoos are really harsh and actually cause dandruff. But maybe I shall try that too. I've heard some good things about it on LHC.

Your hair is lovely!

My biggest recommendation for dealing with dandruff is to up your oil intake in your diet. Fish oils etc. I'm taking omega 3-6-9 tabs. As an added measure I take Evening Primrose Oil tabs. It's important that your body gets the oils it needs to keep everything working properly. I imagine it's the grease to your engine (body). You'll find your skin doesn't flake either. I find I don't have to oil my hair as often which helps with the cost of argan oil being so ridiculous. That may help.

Knee length is my goal too, yay:). My ultimate one anyway after I reach terminal, if it is longer than knee. Hehe.

Hmm. I may try that. My dad uses fish oil, so I could just steal them! Thanks, I'll definitely try that out. Also, high fives for knee-length goals!

Your hair is so thick! It will grow long easily =) Thanks for sharing your hair story! Those Youtube Video's can be dangerous.. lol I messed up a V-hem line pretty badly the 1st time I tried it (almost 4 months ago). Feye's Self Trim page (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/) has a lot of good info and instructions that actually work.

I used Feye's trims on myself the last time I cut my hair (yep, still cutting my hair). My sister gave me a straight across cut and I didn't want to bother her, so I cut it into my preferred shape (U shape) with her method. My hair is still pretty much a straight across cut, because I still don't really trust myself with scissors and decided to go slow and cautious. XD

But thank you all for the tips and compliments! They were all very helpful/nice!

jacqueline101
August 17th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Your hair is lovely.

MissAlida
August 17th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Your hair looks amazing.:agape: But isn't it a iii rather than a ii. It looks so thick.:)

LadieRyrie
August 22nd, 2012, 08:03 PM
Your hair looks amazing.:agape: But isn't it a iii rather than a ii. It looks so thick.:)

Nope! My hair is actually very close to the average measurement for ii. It's a bit thicker, but not by much. I think it's the floof of my hair that makes it look thicker. But then again, I haven't measured in a long time, so I could have been wrong or I could have grown more hair. XP

Yozhik
August 22nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
What pretty hair you have -- it looks very soft. :flower:

I also have floof if I brush my hair, but if I don't brush at all after showering and I let my hair airdry, it gets nice flippy ends and 2b waves. :)

No advice on the dandruff other than seconding fish oil as a possible solution. I know a lot of people use tea tree oil, too, but I can't remember off of the top of my head the details.

Happy anniversary of growing your hair, and happy further growing! :flowers:

jojo
August 22nd, 2012, 10:11 PM
Beautiful hair try omega 3 or evening primrose supplement for dandruff and finish with a ACV rice after washing your hair. I've never had dandruff but I'd think these things I've mentioned would help.

CaitlinMarie93
August 22nd, 2012, 10:33 PM
Your hair is so beautiful and thick! Congrats :)

Cowgirl16
August 22nd, 2012, 10:47 PM
Your hair is very pretty! :) Congratulations on you hairiversary :flower: