PDA

View Full Version : Yearly shed

Kaelee
August 16th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Anyone else have a large shed once a year? I never really noticed before, but I shed a LOT last year this time. I was working a lot of overtime and I thought it was stress, but it stopped and didn't seem to have any ill effect on my hair.

This year, I'm starting to shed AGAIN, about the same time. I'm not really worried because it happened before.

For most of June and July I didn't shed much at all, but it seems like (judging by my roots) my hair didn't GROW too much at all either. Now I'm growing again, and shedding as well.

If it weren't for LHC I probably wouldn't notice these things, but it's really fascinating! :D

vanillabones
August 16th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I am shedding more lately, I usually find no shed hairs even in the shower. Lately I have been finding a lot more all over me or just touching it once in awhile... I don't think it's abnormal but maybe it means time for a trim I hope a trim helps me. Maybe it is from the oiling I've been doing?

kitschy
August 16th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I shed at this time last year, and it looks like it is starting again. The worst thing is last year I shed more clear through November! :confused:

I hope that doesn't happen this year too.

lilliemer
August 16th, 2012, 09:03 PM
This thread caught my eye, I never kept track before, but my shed rate seems to be picking up over the past few days. I have heard others say that daylight hours seem to affect shedding. i'm just starting to notice shorter days as we are getting into mid-August and I'm wondering if there is some correlation?

kiezel
August 16th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Shedding bothers me. A lot of times it seems like there's no way I could be growing as much as I shed!

Kaelee
August 16th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Wow, I'm not the only one then! I thought most people shed in the spring or fall or something, not the middle of summer! Weird!

Hollyfire3
August 16th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I don't know if I'm shedding or just not combing my hair as much during the days before washing. I hate seeing all the hairs on my hands, but oddly enough, I have gained a lot of thickness, so I'm not complaining.

Kaelee
August 16th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I don't know if I'm shedding or just not combing my hair as much during the days before washing. I hate seeing all the hairs on my hands, but oddly enough, I have gained a lot of thickness, so I'm not complaining.

Even though I shed a lot last year, I didn't notice any loss of thickness. :)

Rufflebutt
August 16th, 2012, 10:40 PM
I've only had one instance in my life that I really consider a "shed". And I'm almost positive that it was triggered by stress. It actually lasted from the beginning of my freshman year to the end of my sophomore year. And I would notice it more when I showered. Every time, there would be about twenty to thirty hairs that came out when I shampooed. I just gently run my hand down the length of my hair and more and more hairs would just come out.

The first half of high school was filled with a lot of pain for me. From a variety of reasons. Poor family life, crappy friends, suffering from my first broken heart, the list goes on. My life has slowly been improving though and I can say that my shed has officially stopped. I never loose a single hair when I shower anymore. I suspect that I'll probably have a lot of regrowth soon, though.

Hollyfire3
August 16th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Even though I shed a lot last year, I didn't notice any loss of thickness. :)

That's very comforting. I get so worried seeing SO much hair when I wash, I keep telling myself its cause I no longer really brush daily (trying to give my poor heat damaged hair a break from breaking, the brush tugs so much!), I really hope I keep the thickness I have gained, it is so neat to know so much of my hair is growing back after years of heat styling!:)

Silverbrumby
August 17th, 2012, 12:23 AM
I shed after each birth. I shed after I suffered for a year with a terrible stalking situation which caused me to stop eating at one stage and drop 10 pounds within 4 weeks (now resolved). Shed with thyroid disease.

I'm shedding now and I think it's hormonal.

vanillabones
August 17th, 2012, 12:36 AM
I have not changed my routine in any way, I think it is the time of year for some of us then! Weird. I also noticed my hair only likes coconut oil when it is no summer. *shrug*

3azza
August 17th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Shedding season has officially started for me, also the same reported from a close friend. It is the time of the year.

Manzanilla
August 18th, 2012, 05:46 AM
I shed more in summer than in other times of the year, I don't know why but oh well, nothing much I can do to stop it :rolleyes:

Accalia
August 18th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Also i'm shedding. Not a lot but more than last month. I think it's normal and a seasonal thing...

gillybeanxo3921
August 18th, 2012, 07:09 AM
I've noticed that I started shedding, too. I thought I was imagining it, but now I think it's true.

It just keeps falling out!

masaur
August 18th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Nice to see I'm not alone. Although it is driving me crazy. There is hair EVERYWHERE. The last month has been ridiculous. I hope this ends soon. Shedding 200ish hair a day makes me feel like I'm going to be bald soon. Lol

Kaelee
August 18th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Last year I totally thought it was stress (I was under a lot of stress, too!) but now I really think it's just that time of year.

My vacuum cleaner is cowering in fear, lol.

Minerve
August 18th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I've only had one instance in my life that I really consider a "shed". And I'm almost positive that it was triggered by stress. It actually lasted from the beginning of my freshman year to the end of my sophomore year. And I would notice it more when I showered. Every time, there would be about twenty to thirty hairs that came out when I shampooed. I just gently run my hand down the length of my hair and more and more hairs would just come out.

The first half of high school was filled with a lot of pain for me. From a variety of reasons. Poor family life, crappy friends, suffering from my first broken heart, the list goes on. My life has slowly been improving though and I can say that my shed has officially stopped. I never loose a single hair when I shower anymore. I suspect that I'll probably have a lot of regrowth soon, though.

Same for me : the most important shed episode I have suffered was clearly linked to a very stressful situation - at work, in my case... Emotional turmoil will also have this kind of consequence. :(

akilina
August 18th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Are we all just shedding right now??!?????
I am having more than normal shedding :/ trying to not really think about it though. My hair is already thin looking because of layering