PDA

View Full Version : Same Length All Over

WaitingSoLong
August 16th, 2012, 07:01 AM
So if I (or you or anyone) were to cut my/your/their hair (this is hypothetical) to the same length all over, what would it look like? So like...say 12" all over, where every strand was the same length no matter where it is on your head.

I am guessing this is what, approximately, growing from a buzz or shaved head woudl look like if no shaping trims were ever done.

I tried googling a picture but its just not working. Anyone have a picture or something? Maybe a hairstylist can advise?

And how hard would it be to get a stylist to do this without making exceptions for shaping, etc.?

florenonite
August 16th, 2012, 07:19 AM
You'd get a U-shape with layers. I'm fairly certain that the "standard" layered cut is pretty much this.

FrannyG
August 16th, 2012, 07:25 AM
It would be easy for a hairstylist to do it. The biggest problem with having it cut the exact same length everywhere though, is the around-the-ear area. Your/their hair would have hair longer at the front side, shorter below the ear, and then longer behind that.

Aqua Gal
August 16th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Hi WSL,

I remember Jaine talking about this in the "show me your layers" thread. (Dang the link is misbehaving. I can't post it.) Jaine described how she cuts her hair using a wooden spoon to measure all over. There are pics and the result is darling. Lots of layers and a U shaped hemline.

Sorry I couldn't pop the link up. HTHT!

Aqua

ETA Link

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=97418&highlight=wooden+spoon

earthnut
August 16th, 2012, 09:33 AM
So if I (or you or anyone) were to cut my/your/their hair (this is hypothetical) to the same length all over, what would it look like? So like...say 12" all over, where every strand was the same length no matter where it is on your head.

I am guessing this is what, approximately, growing from a buzz or shaved head woudl look like if no shaping trims were ever done.

I tried googling a picture but its just not working. Anyone have a picture or something? Maybe a hairstylist can advise?

And how hard would it be to get a stylist to do this without making exceptions for shaping, etc.?

I had hair like this when I was growing out from a buzz cut. Except for a phase at about 4 inches where it looked kinda like a mullet, I loved the layers I got.

It's theoretically easy for a stylist to do, but the stylist I went to to do it did a lackluster job. I told her to simply pull my hair straight out from my head all over and cut it the same length. Well, she did that for part of my head, shaped a little, and I ended up with less layers than I went in with. I think it really depends on the stylist, I seem to always get crappy ones.

My layers are different now, because trimming everything-at-one-length isn't really very practical for long hair. It's tedious to pull small sections of hair directly out from the head and cut them the same length. As the hair gets longer, it gets harder to measure them all the same without an assistant. (one to measure, one to cut) I prefer cutting my hair upside down now, and I get nice layers that way too. The layers are shorter this way than they were with everything-the-same-length, but I think that works with my longer hair.

Kiwiwi
August 16th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I pretty much still have this actually. My hair was super short 3 years ago (like 1cm all over). And below you can see my hair now. But I am a curly so you can't really see it clearly.
The bottom has once been trimmed a bit more than the rest. But overall I just dust my hair bit by bit. I take a tiny strand of a few hairs and trim the ends, till I've done my whole head. This takes about 3 hours. I do it about 3 times a year. So this basicly keeps the layers as they are.
My canopy part is obviously shorter than the hair from my neck area.
I do plan to slowly take more of the bottom so that the canopy can meet it.

Cinnamoon
August 16th, 2012, 11:39 AM
The post Aqua Gal mentioned earlier is fifth down on this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=2220013&post2220013)page.

Calaelen
August 16th, 2012, 11:44 AM
It is a standard 90 degree layered cut. How short each hair is cut drastically alters the shape of the cut.

WaitingSoLong
August 16th, 2012, 03:09 PM
The post Aqua Gal mentioned earlier is fifth down on this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=2220013&post2220013)page.

Hmmm. I am not seeing it. I will keep looking.

ETA: Ok I found it, it was a bit further down the page! I think page results vary for each person depending. I know some people say "there's 20 pages in this thread" and I am looking, thinking...ummm...there's only 6?

DarkCurls
August 16th, 2012, 03:49 PM
It depends on the number of posts per page you choose to have shown (under Options in the User CP). :p Which I guess is inconvenient for cases like these. It's the fifth post on my page.
Seems like an interesting way to cut hair, actually. But I already have way too many layers. :D

ratgirldjh
August 16th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I used to shave my head to around 1/2" to 1" long all over to achieve just this. When it grows back (at least on me) it kind of looks like a shag or layered cut. The problems come when certain areas grow faster than others... or when the back gets long enough and the other parts haven't caught up... mullet!

Another thing I used to do (and still do from time to time) is to comb all my hair out straight and put my hair in a pony tail on the fontanel of my head and cut the very ends off.

I had gotten the idea that this would somehow trim all your hair to the perfect length. I don't know if it works but it does seem to at least tackle my scraggly ends.

JellyBene
August 16th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I feel like It would be a V cut

kdaniels8811
August 16th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Look at my avatar picture, my hair is the same length all over as it is growing out from bald (chemo. Unsure of what you want to accomplish with the question but if you want to know what it looks like, there you go. It just looks layered. I am not trimming or cutting and am working on waist then hip. Have w while to go, obviously! Hope this helps.

WaitingSoLong
August 16th, 2012, 06:46 PM
The reason I ask is if I ever get all the non-virgin hair cut out, this is what would have to happen, unless I also wanted to cut off some of the virgin hair. I just wondered what the outcome would look like, I knew, of course, it would be layered, but beyond that I wasn't sure. The spoon method is exactly what I am referring to.

So it woudl depend on how long the actual hair gets cut to, so if it gets cut to 5", it would look (be shaped) a bit different than 12" all over, and then onto, say, 18" all over.

BlazingHeart
August 16th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Pretty much, yeah. A 5-6 inch version of that cut is the base for a lot of 1940's styles, so there are ways of styling it when it is at its mullety worst.

I'm lucky, my hair is thick enough that I really never looked mullety. I just went shag to flip-out to layers, the time I had the awful not-a-pixie.

rosaacicularis
August 20th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I just did this to cut out bleach damage yesterday. I posted a picture in this thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51155&page=286

It's all about 7" long.