PDA

View Full Version : Do your friends think it's weird when you tell them about your wash routine?

Rufflebutt
August 15th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I love the reactions I get from people when I tell them about the frequency of how many times I wash my hair. Usually about twice a week tops and I don't even use shampoo if I can help it.

Their reactions are usually a mixture of :agape: and "Why isn't your hair greasy???"

Then they touch my hair and start raving about how soft it is. c: A couple of my friends actually followed suite of this and starting doing it themselves once they saw the results in my hair.

How about you guys? Has your hair routine ever contributed to some raised eyebrows? I know I've heard plenty of henna stories about people who claim it has destructive properties. XD

CurlyCap
August 15th, 2012, 09:29 PM
All the time.

People have weird ideas about my curly hair and everything out of my mouth seems to surprise people.

The idea that I might go weeks without shampooing bothers people.

The idea that I don't brush? HORROR. :pinktongue:

Hollyfire3
I get weird looks for all the hair masks I make, sadly, my hair is rarely ever beautiful enough (heat damage) to prompt anyone to believe the stuff I use works....I know it does cause my hair is a a lot better, but its still not worthy of other people trying things lol. I got the WIERDEST looks when I told some people I wash with honey sometimes, they all thought I was just plain nuts, I am sad to say, I'm used to it though.

Sylvestrix
So much! It was bad enough when people knew I only washed my hair once a week. But now the word has spread that I don't use shampoo, and I swear I can almost feel the waves of horror coming from people xD

misspurdy06
August 15th, 2012, 09:33 PM
When I told my aunt I wash WO she said "But your hair looks clean "

I reminded her that I do clean it. Just with water. She still had the puzzled look on her face.

ahhh good times.

Rufflebutt
August 15th, 2012, 09:35 PM
All the time.

People have weird ideas about my curly hair and everything out of my mouth seems to surprise people.

The idea that I might go weeks without shampooing bothers people.

The idea that I don't brush? HORROR. :pinktongue: I have a friend with naturally curly hair who brushes it all of the time and complains about frizz. XD I told her to stop brushing and try a wide tooth comb instead, that the comb wouldn't separate her curls as much and she'd have less frizz.

Unfortunately when you don't have curly hair yourself, your well-meaning advise kind of goes into the "They just don't understand" category. :(

cwarren
August 15th, 2012, 09:49 PM
I told my friend that I only used conditioner and she kept saying that I HAD to use shampoo at some point because conditioner isn't enough to clean the hair.

I learned to keep my hair routine to myself. Even when I'm asked, I still give a general answer (i.e. use the word wash to refer to CO ever other day). If I know the person is "into hair", then I'll tell them; herb washes, co washing, finger detangling, etc. etc.

Lady Neeva
August 15th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I rarely tell my friends what I use to wash my scalp. Might as well-far more interesting subjects concern us.
I do not think that they would be surprise to learn that I use the awesomeness of Pantene.

Rufflebutt
August 15th, 2012, 09:51 PM
I told my friend that I only used conditioner and she kept saying that I HAD to use shampoo at some point because conditioner isn't enough to clean the hair.

I learned to keep my hair routine to myself. Even when I'm asked, I still give a general answer (i.e. use the word wash to refer to CO ever other day). If I know the person is "into hair", then I'll tell them; herb washes, co washing, finger detangling, etc. etc.I once had a person try to convince me that using only conditioner with no shampoo would be extremely damaging to my hair and that they "could see nothing good from it". I told them simply that I've been doing it for a long time now and that my hair feels much better than it ever has with shampoo, so that I will keep doing it until it stops giving me such great results.

Perididdle
August 15th, 2012, 10:07 PM
I tried to explain CO when I was considering it and ohhhh goodness, the way people responded! A lot of, "EW!" and "Gross!", really boggled my mind. I didn't even present it like many do online that could be offputting -- "no poo" and "no shampooing" sound like it would be a lot harder to grasp than "using conditioner to wash", but who knows?

I've gotten so wrapped up in my hair project that my mom is sort of wigged when I talk about it. I'm about to move into a sorority house for the year and I'm a little worried someone might notice all the junk in my shower caddy and how often I intend to have junk soaking into my hair...but! My roomie is a super-curly with amazing hair (beautiful 3B/3C), so maybe she'll reveal some of her secrets and won't freak out if I suggest some of the stuff I read here. =P

cwarren
August 15th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I once had a person try to convince me that using only conditioner with no shampoo would be extremely damaging to my hair and that they "could see nothing good from it". I told them simply that I've been doing it for a long time now and that my hair feels much better than it ever has with shampoo, so that I will keep doing it until it stops giving me such great results.

Exactly :) If it didn't work, we wouldn't be doing it.

I have no problem with people expressing their opinions. But when you ask me what I do and then go on to tell me I'm "wrong", then I get slightly miffed. Which is why I leave detailed answers for my friends that'll actually listen.

Wildcat Diva
August 15th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Everyone thinks I am a freak anyway. The hair thing is just the tip of the iceberg. Then if they find out that I homeschool my kids, breastfed them til about age four each, gave birth at home. OMG. It just fits my profile of weirdness to them. I try not to talk about it much. When I do talk about my hair I am rewarded with shocked looks and disdain, most of the time.

Natalia
August 15th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I keep it to myself because in general the most polite of responces are people trying really hard to hide the Ewwwwwwww ICKY they are feeling :( . I'll occasionally mention it to my family as they pretty much ignore my oddities but other than that i avoid the subject. I have yet to be fully honest with a person irl.

starry
August 15th, 2012, 10:37 PM
During the last few months of water only I've tried honey mustard, my fiancee has poured cold cow's milk over my hair, mayonnaise masks and also there are cut up lemons from our tree often scattered in our shower from rinses-

I get odd looks from visitors who use our bathroom and there were some pretty funny comments- my fiancee used to call my hair my "salad" and a dear friend who lives around the corner thinks he should'nt be around here while I'm trying things out- like its kinky or something... he thinks its hilarious.

Im going back to shampoo and condish as my hair has gone limp from wo... but it was fun!

spirals
August 15th, 2012, 10:40 PM
The only weird reaction I got wasn't to my talking about it, but my doing it. I had a roommate who never wore makeup, put her SL hair in a pony every day, and always wore baggy Ts and jeans. I'm not saying that was bad, but I was just different than her. I wore makeup and jewelry and used way more products on my hair. I was also frustrated with it, adding more products and spending time on nc.com regularly to solve my frizz issues, just putting in more effort than her. She criticized me no end for being vain while she complained about being fat and not having a boyfriend. I didn't have one either, but she was mad I was trying so hard to get one, in her eyes. In the end it came down to jealousy. I know because she admitted it outright.

Milui Elenath
August 15th, 2012, 11:05 PM
A bit like Wildcat Diva they aren't really surprised or think I'm any weirder since they know I'm a bit eccentric! :) Still I am Water Only and so that does get a bit of a reaction which is usually responded to by me saying look at my hair, smell my hair :stirpot:.

I haven't told people I wash my hair once a fortnight since noone has asked and I am aware that my hair/scalp is unusually dry. But I have to admit that where I live it is very unusual to wash your hair everyday it's generally excepted as 2-3 times a week and I know because I asked several of my groups of friends and colleagues. When I came on LHC I was surprised to realise there were people who washed daily.

xoxophelia
August 15th, 2012, 11:14 PM
I get weird looks for all the hair masks I make, sadly, my hair is rarely ever beautiful enough (heat damage) to prompt anyone to believe the stuff I use works....I know it does cause my hair is a a lot better, but its still not worthy of other people trying things lol. I got the WIERDEST looks when I told some people I wash with honey sometimes, they all thought I was just plain nuts, I am sad to say, I'm used to it though.

Haha I can so relate :).. I have the added benefit of growing out black dye. It has faded quite a lot at this point but it still effects the quality of my hair and for the longest time didn't look so hot. I have yet to even get any hair compliments ^_^'

DancingQueen
August 15th, 2012, 11:28 PM
I told a group of my friends once (every 3-4 days). One said she was trying to wash it only every second day. One looked like she thought it was nasty. The last one looked like I just told her I loved eating poop or something. She freaked out, told me how disgusting it was, and claimed that I should wash my hair every single day.

Needless to say, I don't talk about it anymore. If the topic comes up, I just try to say 'it is not healthy to wash every day, hairdressers suggests every 2 or 3 days.' or something else. I don't dare to talk about my actual routine.

TheWhiteRabbit
August 15th, 2012, 11:55 PM
I also dont tell people about my routine. I made the mistake of telling a friend once and now every time I vist with her, I can see her inspecting my hair as if something is going to pop out and bite her.

freznow
August 16th, 2012, 12:53 AM
My mom found out once that I was doing CO, no shampoo. She said "But your hair will be greasy! You HAVE to use shampoo." "Does my hair LOOK greasy right now?" "Uhh..."

Yeah. If you weren't complaining before about how greasy and disgusting my hair is, why would you start complaining after you find out that I'm not following your 'rules'?

My SO has a thing about showering every day. It's sometimes difficult to deal with because I'm used to showering every other day or so (depending on the situation, obviously more in summer, when I exercise, or when I get dirty). But he doesn't mind not washing hair every day. :shrug: He's just weird. But I don't mind rinsing down every day, really, so I try.

auburntressed
August 16th, 2012, 01:45 AM
I don't discuss any personal habits with people anymore, and I think it's been years since I have. I just got so tired of being treated like a disgusting pariah who never bathes.

For the record - I do shower every day, and somethings more than once a day if I've been out running, ect.

But I am fat, so people already think I am disgusting without inquiring about or discussing personal hygiene habits. And it gets old fast.

I have discussed henna with people a few times and explained different things about mixing cassia or indigo to get different shades. That is something that most people understand, because so many women love dying their hair. And they are also aware that dying does cause damage, so the idea of dying without damage is appealing.

But when it comes to washing, never. I just don't discuss it. I don't even do anything "weird," other than use coconut oil as a pre-wash. Any time you use the word "oil" in reference to hair, peoples' eyes will bug out. I mean, "coconut oil" sounds exotic enough that they may not make faces right away, but eventually the word "oil" will filter through enough for them to be disgusted.

Tota
August 16th, 2012, 02:57 AM
I just saw one of my friends that I don't see very often a few days ago. It's the first time she saw me with virgin hair longer than CL. She liked my hair a lot and started asking questions ...

HER: So isn't it hard to wash hair so long?
ME: You mean - with a shampoo?
HER: Well, yes!
ME: Oh, I just do it once a month so it doesn't take that much time.
HER: .... silence ...

Buahahahaha :D We used to be roomates so she know that I used to wash my hair every single day. Ofcourse I later explained the joys of CO to her:)

MintChocChip
August 16th, 2012, 03:02 AM
My hair does tend to look greasy a couple of days before my next wash, so I don't tend to tell people. I told a friend the other day, and he just said 'oh yeah, washing your hair less is meant to be good for it, isn't it?' which I thought was an awesome reaction! :D

I'm still trying to figure out what works for my hair in terms of wash routines, and get rid of the greasiness! :o

MintChocChip
August 16th, 2012, 03:03 AM
I just saw one of my friends that I don't see very often a few days ago. It's the first time she saw me with virgin hair longer than CL. She liked my hair a lot and started asking questions ...

Buahahahaha :D We used to be roomates so she know that I used to wash my hair every single day. Ofcourse I later explained the joys of CO to her:)

Once a month, that's amazing! I'm so jealous! I wish I had hair like yours! :)

Tota
August 16th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Once a month, that's amazing! I'm so jealous! I wish I had hair like yours! :)

Yeah but I CO every second or third day lol :) So there's nothing to be jealous about.

The thing is, that to some, washing is not the same as CO because there's no shampoo involved. And I love to exploit that as a joke :D

UpNorth
August 16th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Actually, no! which made me kinda surprised since I'm WO and rinse my hair about once a week with water. Noone thinks i'm disgusting and they even touch my hair! I don't think I would ever touch "greasy" hair. And these people are girls with every day washing routines.

elthea
August 16th, 2012, 05:03 AM
I don't talk about my new wash routine. I'm fairly new to treating my hair well and it's responding marvelously. My mom and a friend's wife have been the only people who have noticed and commented, and they both have really short hair so they didn't care to press about specifics, I just said 'thank you I'm trying some new stuff' and moved on. I think it's just really boring to most people, so I don't bring it up. I save it for you ladies, who give a rip! :)

lilyofthevalley
August 16th, 2012, 05:03 AM
I rarely bring it up, and when people ask, I say "I can go 4 days without washing it".

I don't emphasize that I do that all the time. :)

One girl said, "As long as you shower your body every day".

I don't! And people remark about how soft my skin is. I ask close friends, nobody thinks I smell bad. Trust me, my family/boyfriend would tell me.

Nae
August 16th, 2012, 05:16 AM
I don't think it has ever come up in conversation. I keep discussion of haircare for this site or to give suggestions to my kids. I always thought it was more of a private thing. Interesting.

gnome82
August 16th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Hello, I have only discussed my hair care with my fiance, my Mum and people in this community. I think that my friends wouldn't judge me but I am a shy/ reserved person so I wouldn't discuss it anyway.

Sakuracha
August 16th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Yes, people do think it's weird when I tell them what I do, specifically using shampoo bars, NOT using conditioner, using diluted distilled white vinegar rinses, coconut oil, and sleeping caps. I don't really care, besides I've always been known as the eccentric one so it just seems to go with my personality.

My boyfriend's mom and sister especially think my vinegar rinse is weird and at first kept asking if my hair smelled like vinegar all the time. I figure I'll just let my hair speak for itself in the future when people see how long and healthy its becoming and maybe I'll convert a few people to alternative styles of hair care. I've already made some of my co-workers curious about hair sticks for either themselves or their children.

Tota
August 16th, 2012, 06:02 AM
I figure I'll just let my hair speak for itself in the future when people see how long and healthy its becoming and maybe I'll convert a few people to alternative styles of hair care.

Yes! That's the thing, they don't judge as much as they used to because it all works :)

RubySlippers
August 16th, 2012, 06:13 AM
So much! It was bad enough when people knew I only washed my hair once a week. But now the word has spread that I don't use shampoo, and I swear I can almost feel the waves of horror coming from people xD

Yep, I started my no-pooing, by declaring on facebook that I might try it and the reaction was really fun! I think most people have just assumed that I gave it up though, as my head isn't crawling!

I tried to explain CO when I was considering it and ohhhh goodness, the way people responded! A lot of, "EW!" and "Gross!", really boggled my mind.

After my FB declaration on of our friends asked my sister is I was also giving up boyfriends! Lol. She was horrified and told me I should keep my weird things to myself if I didn't want people to think I'm gross. Actually we had a bit of a row about it because I really don't care what people think and figure they'll see that I'm not gross, and I felt like she was trying to squash me. She was just worried about people potentially being hurtful. She has gone back to harmlessly rolling her eyes. :)

Everyone thinks I am a freak anyway. The hair thing is just the tip of the iceberg.

Yep. This^^^
Eye rolling from family and friends, and generally believing that I'm bound to do something annoying and different so at least this time it's not getting chickens!

My boyfriend's mom and sister especially think my vinegar rinse is weird and at first kept asking if my hair smelled like vinegar all the time.

I have a good friend who lives far away so I only "see" her on Facebook. She is still asking me if I smell like a chip shop.

Whatever :)
I don't get any animosity, just confusion and mild despair!

Rufflebutt
August 16th, 2012, 06:22 AM

Yes, people do think it's weird when I tell them what I do, specifically using shampoo bars, NOT using conditioner, using diluted distilled white vinegar rinses, coconut oil, and sleeping caps. I don't really care, besides I've always been known as the eccentric one so it just seems to go with my personality.

My boyfriend's mom and sister especially think my vinegar rinse is weird and at first kept asking if my hair smelled like vinegar all the time. I figure I'll just let my hair speak for itself in the future when people see how long and healthy its becoming and maybe I'll convert a few people to alternative styles of hair care. already made some of my co-workers curious about hair sticks for either themselves or their children.

A lot of people wouldn't find no conditioner unusual where I live since a lot of people here in Wisconsin seem to think it's unneeded for some reason. But for me, not using conditioner would kill my hair. XD It needs moisture! Lots and lots of moisture.

Tisiloves
August 16th, 2012, 06:37 AM
My friend got a bit funny about me CO washing, but I pointed out that it got my hair perfectly clean and I didn't need to chop by bleached bits (they have to go eventually, but I'm hoping to trim out rather than chop).

Lunadriael
August 16th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Not told anyone yet, except my bf, who already knows I'm weird in lots of ways, so he just ignores it. I am however a little bit concerned about how my future roomates I will be living with at uni are going to react to the indian herbs, the vinegar, the coconut oil, the catnip and whatever else I'm going to be stashing in the bathroom/fridge etc. next term... Praying that no one tries to drink the catnip. Yikes.

PinkyCat
August 16th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Don't ask - don't tell. None of my friends have curly hair (unless they're closet curlies). And none of them have particularly long hair either. I can think of only one friend who knows about the olive oil I put in my leave-in, but nobody knows anything else. Just DF, who appreciates my effort & loves my hair.

If someone would ask, I'd probably not give details, just say no heat.

Rufflebutt
August 16th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Not told anyone yet, except my bf, who already knows I'm weird in lots of ways, so he just ignores it. I am however a little bit concerned about how my future roomates I will be living with at uni are going to react to the indian herbs, the vinegar, the coconut oil, the catnip and whatever else I'm going to be stashing in the bathroom/fridge etc. next term... Praying that no one tries to drink the catnip. Yikes.
At precollege this summer, my friends thought it was odd that I wore a sleep cap at night and washed my hair less. But I told them that it's healthier for hair to be washed less and the sleep cap prevents my hair from being tangled in my sleep. It didn't seem to bother them that much, in fact I loved all of my roommates!

Loviatar
August 16th, 2012, 07:21 AM
My friends laugh about my product stash because my bathroom's covered in bottles. They don't get the vinegar rinse or tea rinse thing either. But on the whole people don't care and I don't really talk about it. I am known as the hair nerd/hair guru though in my friends' circle.

annah
August 16th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I never have told my friends about my wash routine, but they would not think it was weird. Most of my friends are in to natural /organic stuff anyways. I have spent the last 7 years in varying stages of weirdness, from no-chemical household cleaners, to homebirthing, cloth diapers, etc. My friends might be more shocked that my conditioners are actually store bought, rather than something I have made.

My family and inlaws though would probably just chalk it up to another crazy bit of me showing through, and they know better by now than to say anything.

rtree721
August 16th, 2012, 08:21 AM
A lot of the girls I work with tell me they love my hair... then I tell them what kind of stuff I put in it (various foods) and they things I won't do it (dye or heat style). Then they decide my hair is nice but that it would be too much work.

afu
August 16th, 2012, 08:24 AM
My housemates at uni used to think I was crazy for using CO, but they always said how nice my hair looked (they would never try it themselves though). My SO thinks it's a bit odd (the CO and oils) but leaves me to it, he's used to me not being the most 'normal' person around! I bought him a shampoo bar which he has taken travelling this week, I wonder how he is getting on with it! He has lovely curls which are quite long at the moment (not by LHC standards, only about 4-5"), I'd love him to try CO but he doesn't seem interested, he has started doing WO between washes now though.

My family on the other hand seem horrified at the idea! My sister visited my mum at the same time as me last week (i've not seen her in over a year, we don't get along too well) and somehow my CO routine got mentioned, my sister immediatly said it was disgusting and that conditioner can't clean, she also said you should never use soap because it dries your skin out and makes it flaky. I tried to explain that not all products are the same, each one has different ingredients which determine their properties and different ones are better suited for different hair/skin types. She informed me i was being stupid. I even offered her my book of hair product ingredients info to look at but she refused.

gillybeanxo3921
August 16th, 2012, 08:30 AM
I'm always doing crazy stuff in front of my friends!

They've just accepted that I'm a fruit loop (horse shampoo, henna, coconut oil, boar bristle brush, search and destroy, not wanting to get my hair wet in the pool, etc.).

They knew I was wacky when they first befriended me, and they've come to expect my hair crazyness hahah

spidermom
August 16th, 2012, 08:35 AM
No problems there.
1) My friends are here.
2) I don't have a weird wash routine -- diluted shampoo followed by conditioner or deep treatment about twice a week.

Carolyn
August 16th, 2012, 08:37 AM
No one has ever asked about my routine. I would NEVER bring it up. Once in a great while I'll chat products with friends but even that is rare. No one has ever asked to touch my hair. As far as I can recall no one other than me, my friend who has trimmed my hair a few times, and a stylist has touched my hair in years. No one in my life has any interest in hair but me. It's a solitary hobby for me.

nena_shawty
August 16th, 2012, 10:48 AM
My little bro couldn't understand why I didnt want to get my hair wet in the pool, and when I freaked out when he wet my hair on purpose.. I had just washed it the night before I didnt want it wet . My parents dont understand , lol my mom freaks out at any little greasyness she sees in my hair or hers . I try to help my friends and show them how to brush their hair or how to oil their hair lol . they look at me as if I had grown two heads . The other day we ran out of shampoo but we had some conditioner so my mom said well at least you can CO wash and we can use the hotel shampoos. I thought that was interesting how she remembered haha.

thirstylocks
August 16th, 2012, 10:54 AM
My prepoo is usually oil (sometimes from roots to ends) and since I live in dorms, I have to wrap my hair in a scarf to get to the bathrooms. When my friend walked in on me with oil in my hair, she was pretty horrified. It happened a few more times and now she doesn't bat an eyelid- she just says sometimes along the lines of, oh you're getting ready to shower soon. X)

aisha.christine
August 16th, 2012, 11:14 AM
People don't believe me usually.

Person: "Oh, what do you do to make your hair so shiny? :)"
Me: "I wash it with conditioner and use a diluted vinegar rinse."
Person: "No you don't."
Me: "....yes I do?"
Person: *sniffs my hair* "It doesn't smell like vinegar and your hair isn't greasy. You're a liar."
:rolleyes:

Oh no, my intentions have been found out. I was caught hoarding the miracle of shiny hair and I lied to throw you off my trail. :p

Diamond.Eyes
August 16th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I attend cosmetology school, so needless to say discussions about my hair with others have been inevitable. Most of the time it is just nosey students who I'm not friends with who ask about it because my friends already know what I do to it. Usually people just ask how I curl my hair if I don't use a curling iron and I tell them I use sockbuns and other devices. Most of the time they think I'm odd, oh well. I just recently posted a blog entry about sock bunning for curls and I feel a lot more comfortable sharing that with you guys then I do with the catty girls at my school :p. I tend to keep these things to myself, except when I'm on here. :flower:

elbow chic
August 16th, 2012, 11:52 AM
no-- in fact I've had at least two separate people tell me with great trepidation that they only wash theirs twice a week. One was another long-haired woman, as we were sitting at the pool chatting about hair, lol, it was kind of bound to come up.

And another was a guy, with your standard-issue military cut. I do not recall how that came into the conversation. :laugh:

Both times prefaced with "I hope this doesn't gross you out but..."

LHC gospel is spreading. :D Both of my shamed confidantes have very lovely hair. ;)

I do wash mine a little more than twice a week, I think because my hair is pale and any bit of grease will look worse than it really is.

PeaceTeaRules
August 16th, 2012, 12:12 PM
I mainly keep hair related things to myself unfortunately unless I'm on LHC :biggrin: or at the barbers which is very rarely...

I'm actually afraid people will judge me for the wrong reasons so I keep a majority of personal stuffs to myself... I suppose in reality I really am a sensitive person huh? :cheese:

Embrace1913
August 16th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Some folks think its weird that I don't rinse out my conditioner. . .but it must be working since my hair is longer and healthier than theirs lol :)

dwell_in_safety
August 16th, 2012, 05:22 PM
My friends don't really think it's weird. If anything, they pick up my habits. My girlfriend now CO-washes roughly twice a week and does a deep oiling with coconut oil whenever I notice that her hair would benefit from it, which is probably about once a month. She also only shares my combs, doesn't brush anymore, and she dyes her (unbleached) hair with Manic Panic courtesy of this forum. Her hair is only shoulder length at its longest; she has an asymmetrical cut that she plans to keep for a long while, but it really does look and feel soooo much better than when it was longer and she wasn't treating it well. Her texture is about the same as mine, so it really helps her to copy me. :p

I've another friend and former housemate that watched what I did and now wears her hair up every day. She still uses undiluted shampoo every other day, thinks oiling wouldn't benefit her, and uses an elastic with all her hair styles, but wearing her hair up every day is from asking me about what I'm doing differently. Her hair is 3b naturally (I think; she brushes it so it's hard to tell) and iii in thickness and would benefit immeasurably from LHC, I think.

Another friend and former housemate has had me do her hair several times and came up to me one day and asked if a BBB that she had was "safe" to use on her hair, and she was very interested in CO-washing. She also has iii thickness, without a doubt, and lovely long blonde hair.

sloth
August 16th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I'm moving in with my boyfriend and in the process of bringing things to his place. Today I told him I was bringing MORE hair care stuff over. He always knew I was fickle with my hair, I just don't think he knew I was this fickle.

To be fair, though, I think it's weird/gross that he has "anti-dandruff shampoo and body" soap. Like... it's a combo of both in the same bottle? I think it's the grossest thing. Why would you want to cover your ENTIRE BODY with that stuff? D:

Sakuracha
August 16th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Yes! That's the thing, they don't judge as much as they used to because it all works :)

My thoughts as well, it also helps to have some hair confidence.

Yep. This^^^
Eye rolling from family and friends, and generally believing that I'm bound to do something annoying and different so at least this time it's not getting chickens!

I have a good friend who lives far away so I only "see" her on Facebook. She is still asking me if I smell like a chip shop.

Whatever :)
I don't get any animosity, just confusion and mild despair!

Whenever I go to my boyfriends parents house I raid the cabinet for white vinegar and ignore the comments.

spirals
August 16th, 2012, 09:22 PM
"It doesn't smell like vinegar and your hair isn't greasy. You're a liar."

That right there is not tolerated. Anyone who dares to call me a liar for any reason gets an earful. I do NOT like character assassinations.

Rufflebutt
August 16th, 2012, 10:49 PM
That right there is not tolerated. Anyone who dares to call me a liar for any reason gets an earful. I do NOT like character assassinations. I would get angry if someone called me a liar as well. XP
Seriously, what would be the initiative to lie about hair care?

Perididdle
August 16th, 2012, 11:03 PM
I would get angry if someone called me a liar as well. XP
Seriously, what would be the initiative to lie about hair care?

Seriously! It sounds very...middle school to assume/accuse someone of it. I have a lot of questions about why some of my friends lied about stuff back then, but when we're all adults...really?

Natalia
August 17th, 2012, 03:00 AM
Got a hair compliment today from a friend i am thinking of rooming with i wonder if she will still think my hair is nice once she see's what i do to it lol

Neneka
August 17th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Nowadays I never tell about my wash routine. It's quite complicated and takes time to explain. I suspect that all people hear is "blablabla..." I only tell if someone asks.

FrannyG
August 17th, 2012, 04:19 AM
I don't tell anyone in real life about my wash routines, with the exception of my husband, who knows and is supportive. Mine is pretty simple, but no, I wouldn't share it with another non-LHC person. I did tell someone once about COing soon after I first joined here, and I wouldn't do it again.

Suze2012
August 17th, 2012, 05:24 AM
This site taught me how to co wash and I love it and only very occasionally use a sulphate free shampoo on it - once every month or two.

Something else this place has taught me is not to tell people what I do! Lol!

I read this read start to finish and can't believe some of the comments people have had.

I did tell a few people at work initially what I was doing and it got some dodgy looks.
I soon after had a haircut booked and I was late coming in on the conversation but they were all getting quite excited that I would be turning up with straightened hair the following Monday - as if this was my ultimate desire - I thought it was funny. I did say 'well you'll be disappointed as I'm getting it wet cut and no way would have someone use heated appliances on my hair'

They were talking about hair brushes the other day and I let slip (OK..I did say it for the reaction this time) that I hadn't owned a brush in 20 odd years and laughed...they was utter shock in my team - gaping mouths..the lot!
The only thing which stopped it was another woman in my team who has shoulder length very frizzy hair who said she hasn't ever used a brush on her hair as it would explode more than it already does.
This calmed everyone as it was OK when she said it but not when I did! Lol!

I think my work team now think I have abandoned co washing though as I never mentioned it again.

What I find odd - when I first saw a youtube vid showing what one lady did and then when I found this place I was never for a moment freaked out or grossed out by it.
I was nervous it might not clean as well as shampoo the first few times - but in fact I had the opposite problem as some co I used over cleaned and dried my hair out too much.

Seeing all these reactions and having had some myself though I don't think I'll be telling many people soon unless they actually ask - and I know there is no way I'll let on that I also now use coconut oil and honey to wash my face either! (me - who still gets spotty skin at 43!). I've had two spots come out since doing this but instead of them hanging around and getting nasty they've come and gone quickly (yay!!).

I also picked up some microfibre dusters...4 for 99p at a pound stretcher shop which I'm going to try out as a towel for my hair today to see how it reacts - if they don't work then they stay as dusters.

How someone could call someone a liar though - that's beyond me!

I do think I will delight at some point going away and pulling strange things out of my wash bag...hehehe!

minxe
August 17th, 2012, 05:30 AM
I've had lots of people ask me what my hair routine is, and I've never been met with such negative reactions. Normally I just receive thanks and expressions of eagerness to experiment with their own hair! I think it just depends on your audience, though :)

Sarahlabyrinth
August 17th, 2012, 05:49 AM
I wouldn't mention my haircare routines to anyone in real life unless they were interested enough to ask. Which they aren't. So that's fine. they seem to notice unusual (to them) updos though. Plenty of people think I'm peculiar enough letting my hair go grey.

Henrietta
August 17th, 2012, 05:54 AM
I don't tell anyone in real life about my wash routines, with the exception of my husband, who knows and is supportive. Mine is pretty simple, but no, I wouldn't share it with another non-LHC person. I did tell someone once about COing soon after I first joined here, and I wouldn't do it again.

Exactly the same thing here. At the beginning I was naive enough to believe that people would get interested and they'd switch to better hair care thanks to my info. They don't. I was treated like an alien, because, "first of all, who on Earth pays so much attention to hair? I buy any shampoo that's on sale on a given day, wash, brush and go." I told a few friends about cones and CO. Huge mistake, but I won't repeat it.

Suze2012
August 17th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Exactly the same thing here. At the beginning I was naive enough to believe that people would get interested and they'd switch to better hair care thanks to my info. They don't. I was treated like an alien, because, "first of all, who on Earth pays so much attention to hair? I buy any shampoo that's on sale on a given day, wash, brush and go." I told a few friends about cones and CO. Huge mistake, but I won't repeat it.

It's funny actually - where you mention that you thought people would get interested - I have exactly the same lack of interest when I tell people how I lost weight 9 years ago and kept it off.
I get complete disinterest, the odd mean comment, then blanked while they continue talking about points on Weight Watchers, how much it costs them each week and how they are either not losing weight or have lost it and put it all back on again.

Sorry for the off topicness.

Sakuracha
August 17th, 2012, 07:03 AM
A lot of people wouldn't find no conditioner unusual where I live since a lot of people here in Wisconsin seem to think it's unneeded for some reason. But for me, not using conditioner would kill my hair. XD It needs moisture! Lots and lots of moisture.

My hair needs moisture too. I find coconut oil works well for me as a moisturizer.

millyaulait
August 17th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I don't think I would tell anyone about my wash routine... :lol:

I barely wash it, and when I do it's with conditioner, and in between I slather monisat on my scalp.

So normal for LHC, but so weird for real life... :p

BrownEyedBeauty
August 18th, 2012, 06:51 AM
When I tell people about my CWC routine, they are usually intrigued by it and think that its a great idea.

When I tell people about how I like to put EVOO in my hair, I usually just get a blank stare!

Amber_Maiden
August 18th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Yep, my family thinks it's weird that U only shampoo once a month, and the rest of the time only use conditioner.

Rufflebutt
August 18th, 2012, 06:03 PM
That right there is not tolerated. Anyone who dares to call me a liar for any reason gets an earful. I do NOT like character assassinations.

When I tell people about my CWC routine, they are usually intrigued by it and think that its a great idea.

When I tell people about how I like to put EVOO in my hair, I usually just get a blank stare! I was actually very surprised to find out that some of my non LHC friends use EVOO on their hair as well! And they were embarrassed to talk about it until I brought it up and they were like,"Really? OMG ME TOO! So glad I'm not the only one!"

PetuniaBlossom
August 19th, 2012, 11:49 AM
When I first found this site and started CO washing, I told my brother about it. He was horrified and was sure my hair would be permanently dirty/greasy.
He was wrong, of course. But after about two months, the shed rate from CO washing was really bad. I hung in, hoping it would level off, but it never did. Yikes!
So I reluctantly gave up CO washing and went over to CWC. (Well, OCWC, really: overnight coconut oil soak before CWC-ing).
I told my brother I'd switched away from CO washing and he was so chuffed to have been "right" that I didn't bother going into the reasons why.
;)
Maybe I'll tell him someday.

KwaveT
August 19th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I don't even bring it up unless asked. Most are going to think I am over the top with what I do with my hair. I think most just think men are suppose to be passive, low maintenance with their hair. I would get the strange looks but I am usually never asked anyway.