PDA

View Full Version : No sulfate no cone recommendations?

SerinaDaith
August 15th, 2012, 02:42 PM
I am a wavy curly kind of gal, I figure I need sulfates to pull the cones out of my hair but I am nearing the end of my coney conditioners and looking for a change, I don't want to keep using sulfate shampoo if I ditch the cones so I would like to know what you wonderful long haired people recommend. Also when you do wash your hair what do you do with it while it is soaking up the conditioner for the rest of the shower? When mine is long enough I always had either a plastic hair pick or a plastic claw clip handy so I could wash the rest of me without getting soap on the length. Is this okay or am I causing more problems than I am solving?

Thank you all in advance! ;)

CurlyMopTop
August 15th, 2012, 04:28 PM
It's kind of a trial and error type of a thing. Everyone's hair is unique and likes a different amount of protein/moisture, humectrants/or not, oil/or not. There are a lot of no sulfate/silicone products out there. My advice to you would be to search for someone with the same hair properties as you and check out their profile info. That's where you'll find info on their routines and products used. Good luck and have fun with your hair care journey! :D

lilliemer
August 15th, 2012, 07:05 PM
I am experimenting around with sulfate free too. So far I have tried the Renpure organics line (Not terrible but not great) and have just tried the Shea Moisture coconut and hibiscus shampoo. Have been using it for about 2 weeks and really like it. It is a bit heavy and seems to relax my curls a bit, but I haven't noticed it weighing my hair down or looking greasy, in fact my hair has been a bit more voluminous since I started using this shampoo. It looks like you are a wavy/curly like me so this product may be good for you. There is a whole thread on it over in the hair products forum. This line is carried at walgreens and target, I am not sure about walmart. Good luck going sulfate free.

brave
August 15th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Shea moisture is very popular. If you're just starting out experimenting and have a trader joes near, try either their Tea Tree Tingle or Nourish line of conditioners and shampoos. They're cheap (3$ range) and fairly popular.

earthnut
August 15th, 2012, 10:28 PM
There is a large variety out there, and every hair likes something different. You'll likely need to try a few products before you find something that works. I have a large list of CO-friendly products here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AojS7E2gXDbndEE1MUdlNDliU3VXbEVwUjNVSnY0N 1E Suave Natural conditioners are very popular, and VO5 conditioners.

Your hair texture (in your case medium) and hair porosity (http://scienceyhairblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/hair-porosity-how-to-measure-sort-of.html) will help determine how much protein your hair can handle. Here's a good article about what hair type means for product choice: http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/2012/04/so-what-does-it-all-mean.html

Here's basic info about a CO routine: http://livecurlylivefree.com/curl%20care.htm

For me, I use a tiny amount of shampoo on my scalp, massaging well. I don't do this every wash, just when I feel some build up. Then I rinse well. If I don't use shampoo, I might just massage my scalp with water, or use conditioner like shampoo. If I use conditioner, I don't let it sit, I just use it for washing. Rinse well. However I washed, then I apply some conditioner to my hair, detangle, and work the conditioner well into my length. And I don't rinse. I finish up my shower, plop while I dry and dress, and air dry.

BTW, you don't need sulfates to remove cones. Betaines work just fine.

SerinaDaith
August 15th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Thank you for your responces, I do not live anywhere near a Trader Joe's unfortunately so thats out :P I will definitely stalk some people who have my hair type and see what they are doing. Is the brand name Shea Moisture? I used the Jasón line by smell years ago and remember liking it long before I had a clue about sulfates and cones, does anyone have any feedback about their product line? I know I can find there stuff here. Burts bees always seems to leave my hair funky, I do know my hair likes honey and coconut oil but I have not done anything with protein ever that I know of so I have no clue what that would do in my hair. My hair seems to do fine with sulfates and cones but I would like to see what happens when I drop them out of my hairs life ;)

BlazingHeart
August 15th, 2012, 10:43 PM
My hair seemed to like the Trader Joe's Nourish shampoo, but it left my scalp a little oily, unfortunately - just not a strong enough cleanser for me. If you don't have trouble with your scalp being gunky, it may work fine for you - well, assuming you find a way to get some, as you're not near one.

Have you considered 'poo bars? I have some Chagrin Valley 'poo bars that I love, and I've converted my fiance over to using them, too. They're very nice.

~Blaze

Lilli
August 16th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Most of the Giovanni products meet your requirements and are easily available at Ulta and Target.

SerinaDaith
August 16th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Earthnut, right now I am sticking with a cwc my scalp gets itchy and oily easily so I have for now needed to cleans and oil, I was twice a week and I am working towards only washing once a week post deep treatment on Fridays but I am doing a lot better about not washing every day anymore.
BlazingHeart poo bars so far have been way to drying for my scalp and hair so I haven't really experimented lately. I will definitely look into them again.
Lilli I will check out Giovanni thanks!

Kaelee
August 17th, 2012, 09:36 PM
I'm using Toadstool Soaps right now.

And I have a claw clip living in my shower too! :D

SerinaDaith
August 18th, 2012, 06:48 AM
I have another couple of inches to grow before I will be able to really put my hair up in the shower right now I just pile my conditioner soaked hair as best I can. I did the water porosity test and had most of my hair still floating at the end so I guess that means my hair is not as porous as I thought? Or the cones are to effective on my hair keeping it too closed for moisture to get in, my hair appears to be healthy but it does not have as much stretch as it should. Definitly time to get the cones out and see what is really going on I guess.

prismfaerie
August 25th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Personally I use Burt's Bees, even though they contain other chemicals. but they have natural ingredients too, as well as no sulfates or parabens.

Kelikea
August 25th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I have found that my hair and scalp are very happy (and it took a very long time to find what would work for both) when using either Desert Essence Organics Coconut Shampoo with VO5 Silk Cashmere Conditioner or Nature's Gate Organics Persimmon and Rose Geranium Shampoo with matching conditioner.

I am also happy with the Desert Essence Organics Lemon Tea Tree Shampoo with VO5 Strawberry and Cream conditioner, if I need something a little more clarifying.

I put my conditioner soaked hair in a claw clip if it won't stay in a twisted bun by itself while showering. I don't think it causes any more damage if you do it carefully. I also use a diluted vinegar rinse after.

My products are sulfate and cone free, but most contain protein. My hair seems to like it. Others may not be as tolerable to using protein every time. I wash my hair up to 5x a week.

One more thing I do is put a dollop of conditioner (right now it is Nature's Gate Organics Chamomile Lemon Verbena) into a spray bottle of water. I use this to spray my hair to help with detangling and to refresh dry hair. It is a different conditioner than I mentioned earlier because I don't use it regularly in the shower, but it works well in the spray bottle. A friend ordered it along with my order from vitacost and it came in a leaking bottle. I kept it and got her a replacement. Vitacost has great prices on the organic S&C I mentioned, but I buy the VO5 at Walmart or grocery store for less than $1.

DinaAG
August 25th, 2012, 05:56 PM
why you do not make your own shampoo? i will try that recipe soon:
1/4 castile soap
1/4 coconut milk
2 spoons of your favorite oil
1 spoon aloe vera gel

Kelikea
August 25th, 2012, 07:40 PM
why you do not make your own shampoo? i will try that recipe soon:
1/4 castile soap
1/4 coconut milk
2 spoons of your favorite oil
1 spoon aloe vera gel

I tried oil shampoo with Dr. Bronner's castile soap and coconut oil. I wanted to like it, my hair looked fine and was easy to detangle, but my scalp would flake like crazy within a day.

DinaAG
August 26th, 2012, 08:28 AM
what about giving your scalp oil massage or 100% natural cream massage? that always help with me

Chanie
August 26th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Kevin murphy born again wash and luxury rinse works very nice for me :) i think the rinse has some cones but it is the good cones, and the shampoo is sulfate free... Its rather expensive but my hair loves it :)

SerinaDaith
August 26th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I found Aveno naturals sulfate free and Gud by Burts Bees Pearanormal Activity followed with a home made ACV, coconut oil EVOO distilled water mix in a spray bottle makes my hair very happy! Shiny frizz free curls, I will post a picture when I get around to it! Thank you all so much for the recommendations!

coffinhert
August 27th, 2012, 01:28 AM
I put my hair up in a claw while the conditioner is soaking up.

Personally I love the Trader Joe's brand hair care products. I like the 'nourish spa' scent but there are a couple options. Their shampoo is sulfate free and mostly made of plant oils. Their conditioners are 'cone free. The conditioner is great for CO if you are into that, I've been COing with it for a couple years.

SerinaDaith
August 27th, 2012, 08:17 AM
I pre oil CWC once a week then scalp shampoo and condition for the rest of the week (once or twice depending on how my scalp is feeling). I am still not quite ready for just a CO wash yet :( it is one of my goals I did however add a bit of coconut oil to the shampoo as well because someone here said that coconut oil penetrated best when put into shampoo. It is also in my after shower curly girl homemade spray :) my hair is a coconut oil fiend!

torrilin
August 27th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Earthnut, right now I am sticking with a cwc my scalp gets itchy and oily easily so I have for now needed to cleans and oil

Itchy doesn't necessarily mean your hair is dirty.

For me, it means I made a mistake and used a product with a fragrance I react to. Scent reactions are really really really common, and they often take the form of itchy or irritated skin.

For my partner, it means he's breathing. He's got psoriasis, which is a genetic auto-immune disorder that causes skin problems and a lot of itching. Eczema, seborrhoic dermatitis and a bunch of other medical problems can cause itching too.

More mundanely, itching can mean you have dry skin. It's actually pretty common for people to believe their skin is more oily than it is. Using an overly harsh cleanser can cause skin problems like pimples, itching and dry flaky skin... if you're routinely having those sorts of problems on your scalp, trying a gentler cleanser is a good first step.