PDA

View Full Version : "U" shaped hair pins in the UK

jojo
August 15th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I hardly ever use U shaped pins as I find there too weak for my hair and after a couple of usages there no good, as the bend and my hair seems to heavy for them, so my updos dont feel seccure.

Mine are from Claire's just wondering if anybody from the U.K. Could recommend either a shop or online where I can buy some strong ones, I'd be very greatful. Cheers!

JuliaDancer
August 15th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I was so frustrated with regular hairpins until I bought these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NJJBTE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01

They're stiff and strong, and actually hold my heavy, slippery hair! If you can't find them in a store, you may be able to order them online.

joflakes
August 15th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I was just looking at this website:

http://www.stone-bridge.co.uk/basic-french-u-pins-set-of-2-1568-p.asp

They also have a few more! HTH

AnnaB
August 15th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I bought some from Primark before, and for £1 its not even a shame to throw them out.

How ever, I have seen some in boots and superdrug which looked decent. Maybe worth checking it out?

Quixii
August 15th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I just bent in half some metal double-pointed knitting needles. They work much better. :)

jojo
August 15th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Primark ones don't hold my hair at all, there like Claire's, the weight of my hair bends them, probably not so bad for shorter hair, wish they did work at a quid!
Thanks for the links girls, will check them out,

jojo
August 15th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Double post

jojo
August 15th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I just bent in half some metal double-pointed knitting needles. They work much better. :)

Omg what a brilliant idea, I'm actually getting excited!!! Thanks for sharing!

pepperminttea
August 15th, 2012, 01:02 PM
LongHairedJewels (http://longhairedjewels.com/shop-pages/a-amish-pins.html) has Amish pins? :) They're in the UK.

velvetvenus
August 16th, 2012, 02:46 AM
John Lewis does some really big (about 2.5 inches long) pins which hold hair very well. They are like a cross between a mini hair fork and a pin but they hold very thick or long hair really well :)

clairenewcastle
August 16th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Like you I could never use the hairpins sold on the high street but I bought some Amish pins from http://longhairedjewels.com/shop-pages/a-amish-pins.html last year after hearing so much about them on this site and they're brillant!

They never slip out or bend and opened up a whole new range of possibilities when it came to styling my hair.

Bagginslover
August 16th, 2012, 03:19 AM
I ordered amish pins from ebay (not from the UK, sadly, but they came quickly). I've never looked back!!

Panth
August 16th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Omg what a brilliant idea, I'm actually getting excited!!! Thanks for sharing!

I think TorrinPaige has a tutorial on her youtube.

Alexandriaweb
August 16th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I discovered a place called "Sally's" (no idea if it's "Sally Hanson's" that the American ladies talk about) that had huge tubs of really strong U pins for less than a tenner.

RedheadMistress
August 16th, 2012, 02:02 PM
- I just take knitting needles that I find that people have thrown out and bend them by hand and that works !

Cheap and efficient .

Maybe you can find them in the charity shops.

clairenewcastle
August 17th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I discovered a place called "Sally's" (no idea if it's "Sally Hanson's" that the American ladies talk about) that had huge tubs of really strong U pins for less than a tenner.

I've tried those hairpins and they are not as strong as the Amish pins. I've just ordered more Amish pins from longhairedjewels just in case I lose some. :(

pepperminttea
August 17th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Maybe you can find them in the charity shops.

Most charity shops have to keep the knitting needles behind the counter now for health and safety, so if you don't see any, just ask them. :)

Anje
August 17th, 2012, 09:26 AM
There are some really wimpy U pins out there that bend when you try to use them. I've ended up with a couple packs from Sally's, thinking they were long and a good alternative to ordering Amish pins.

What I've learned: Get the Amish hairpins. They're rigid and therefore actually hold your hair instead of bending under the pressure. Bent double-pointed knitting needles work well too, if you can find the aluminum/aluminium variety in the UK.