PDA

View Full Version : Oil a compulsion

sahiba
August 7th, 2008, 01:14 AM
I CO everyday and once a week use shampoo.I thought using conditioner was enough for detangling and smoothness of hair. But actually it is the oil , after wash, which is making all the difference in my hair. So with CO it is a little bit of oil everyday as well. How many of you have felt the need for oil?

Aisha25
August 7th, 2008, 01:19 AM
I need it cannot live without it:lol: I would rather have oil then anything else for my hair.

ChloeDharma
August 7th, 2008, 02:27 AM
There is no way i could cope without oil! My length needs it for the protection and nourishment, and my scalp needs it to soften up my sebum and loosen shed skin so it's easier to wash away.
I oil after washing and then keep my hair heavily oiled for at least a day before washing CO, or herb washes.

Angelina15
August 7th, 2008, 02:37 AM
I also love oil, especially coconut oil! I use it on my ends everynight and my hair loves it! No more crunchy ends! :)

manderly
August 7th, 2008, 03:01 AM
I skipped the coconut oil the other day and couldn't stand how poofy and tangly my hair was.

Oil is hair crack for me.

Missie
August 7th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Absolutely, I really appreciate the affect of Camellia oil.. Oiling my hair just before it dries also seems to make it more prone to ringlets too I've noticed.

manderly
August 7th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Missie, I add about 5-8 drops to my Giovanni leave in to my towel dried hair. It totally brings out all my waves :D

I gloss with 1 or 2 drops over dry hair for SHINE.

happymommy
August 7th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Oil junkie here too :) My hair feels funny to me without it now.

Siava
August 7th, 2008, 04:49 AM
I also CO and notice that when I oil, my hair is so much more manageable and soft.

Haith
August 7th, 2008, 06:33 AM
I haven't really used much oil, but I think that when the cold weather starts to roll in I might start oiling my hair after washing. In the past I think that I've used too much oil and had ended up with stringy hair. That turned me off right away, and I never really experimented with it like I should have. It literally only takes a few drops, right?

Siava
August 7th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Oh yes. One or two drops goes a long way for the ends.

berr
August 7th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I'd never used oil before except for the vo5 hot oil treatments. I've started oiling with coconut oil and my hair so loves it. It's never been so soft and nice at this length.

thankyousir74
August 7th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Yeah LHC helped me discovery the secret of oils. I would've never thought of it at all. So glad because it makes a huge difference.

xrosiex
August 7th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I love oils for my hair and skin. Shea and cocnut are my favorite.:)

renarok
August 7th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I'm an oiler too, but I seem to use it much more heavily than most. I mix emu and camellia and I use about 8 drops. I coat my palms, then work it into the length. I do this every other day and I do not have oily hair. It just sucks it up happily. Does anyone else use more than normal?

eccentricquirks
August 7th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I use two drops of "Africa's Best" Blend with Ginseng on one side, two drops on the other, and one drop on the ends of my pony. I only have just barely past shoulder length hair.

I love doing it on my water only days, though.....it feels sinful.....

Anne~
August 7th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Yup, I am a compulsive oiler here too! I cannot go with out my Jojoba oil I use it every day and I use Coconut oil after a washing.

shellblue1
August 7th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I use oil almost every day! :)

spidermom
August 7th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I go back and forth on oil. It makes my hair feel wonderful, but it sure seems to suck all the debris right out of the air and into my hair.

ChloeDharma
August 7th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I'm an oiler too, but I seem to use it much more heavily than most. I mix emu and camellia and I use about 8 drops. I coat my palms, then work it into the length. I do this every other day and I do not have oily hair. It just sucks it up happily. Does anyone else use more than normal?

Me! I definately seem to use alot more than most people describe. I lightly oil my hair after washing it, but it rarely manages more than say....12ish hours like that.....it ends up saturated in the stuff, and i do mean saturated so it looks kind of like wet hair then i keep it in a bun and keep adding oil each day until i wash it.
When my hair was chemically damaged i used to smother the oil on and it just sucked it up....there was a point that it seemed i just couldn't make it look oily even.

RavennaNight
August 7th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I love coconut oil. A teeeeeeensy bit goes a long way! When people post "a fingernail amount" is enough they ain't kidding! A smidge after wash, a smidge before bed, and a ton the night before a wash (mostly CO, occasional SLS-free poo). I like olive oil too, but its much heavier and difficult to control. Its good for super-excessive dryness, which I sometimes get from a combination of being a dyer and weather conditions.

alligatorbaby23
August 7th, 2008, 08:09 PM
After being an LHCer for a few years (how time flies! ) I have been through the gamut of oils. Coconut is my new favorite, I just get my hair wet and apply, on dry hair it is easy to overdo.
Right now I have a mix of myrrh, coconut, and a wee bit of EVOO.
I don't know how I lived without for so many years.
LOVE IT!

Naluin
August 7th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I love oil!

I try oil my scalp and my ends before going to bed. I usually apply oil after washing to smooth the canopy. Currently, I am mixing several oils into my conditioner because it wasn't rich enough.

My hair is naturally very dry, in case anyone was wondering why I use so much oil. :) It's hard to overdo oil with my hair, unless I am heavy handed with the sesame oil for a couple of days.

So far, I have tried:
camellia oil
coconut oil
olive oil
sesame oil

I'd like to try amla oil next. Yay oil! :cheese:

catfish
August 8th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I love oil, could not go without it.:D

I use oil everyday. I've tried coconut, olive, sweet almond, shea butter, jojoba, sunflower, safflower, sesame, and coco butter. I use different oils depending on what I want but coconut is my favorite so far. I really want to try avocado and camellia.

I am also a heavy oiler, my waist length hair soaks up at least half a teaspoon of coconut oil without looking stringy, but I guess my hair is dry:rolleyes:

Dientje
August 8th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I recently discovered that my hair adores shea butter. So now I use that each day on my hair, and it is smooth and tangle-free. I love it!

I've tried other oils before, but they never seemed to give me the same effect.

bunnii
August 8th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I CO and use olive oil It definately makes my hair softer and shiney. my hair is dry if I don't put any on.

Merkaba
August 8th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I mix jojoba and honey with my conditioner when I wash, and then leave it on for about 5 minutes and rinse. I am getting really soft, shiny hair....THOUGH my hair is so thick I think I need a thicker oil than jojoba.

It is easy to overdo oil and come out looking greasy, which is why I use it in the shower and do a water rinse after. I do sometimes oil the ends when they are damp, if they seem to need extra moisture.

Tapioca
August 8th, 2008, 10:17 AM
My thyroid issues makes my skin *very* dry, including my scalp, so heavy overnight oilings on the scalp the night before a wash are a very nice thing. Coconut is my favorite for this. I love falling asleep smelling coconutty. After a wash, I use a leave-in of aloe and jojoba oil.

NurseMama
August 8th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I love oil! I am sitting here with a scrunchie bun full of heavily overnight oiled hair getting ready to shower. It has been the one thing that has seemed to repair some of the damage that I have done to my hair in the past. I used jojoba for years, but since being on the board I have tried coconut for the first time and love it! The smell is delicous and sinch coconut smell is DH favorite smell, me and my hair are big hits in his book!

Curlsgirl
August 8th, 2008, 11:27 AM

I use a lot too. A fingernail amount is like a JOKE to my hair! I love coconut most but occasionally use EVOO if I don't have the coconut with me. LOVE IT!!!

jojo
August 8th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I skipped the coconut oil the other day and couldn't stand how poofy and tangly my hair was.

Oil is hair crack for me.
I did the exact same thing, much better with a bit of oil

tsf
August 9th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I use meadowfoam seed oil and I use a lot of it. I saturate my braid tassel at night before bed and it's soaked in by the morning. I seldom have any split ends and it's been about a year since my last trim. I have never needed to S&D. I also use it on my face. Love the stuff.

Meadowfoam seed oil is available from places where they sell soapmaking supplies.

pariate
August 9th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I love oils for my hair and skin! My hair seems to enjoy jojoba and avocado. I might have another go with coconut oil as a leave-in - I only really experimented with it as a pre-wash treatment in the past.

Lady Verity
August 9th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I've been olive-oiling my hair every night before going to bed for two weeks. It's done my hair an awful lot of good. No more dry, crunchy ends. :)

Flying Betty
August 9th, 2008, 11:44 PM
My hair loves oil. Wet or dry, it never gets crunchy or weird. It does get stringy though- my hair is so very fine that it only takes the tiniest bit.

Lately I've taken to using Avalon Organics Honeysuckle Rose as a leave-in in lieu of oiling (that stuff is full of oils anyways). I tried it as a conditioner but I really need cones, but the I tried it as an after swim leave in and my hair liked it so much that I use it pretty regularly these days.