PDA

View Full Version : I need advice D=!!

MidnightMoon
August 14th, 2012, 07:23 PM
This post will be a bit long, I'm sorry for that :(
but I will surely be thankful to the person who spends his time reading this :D

Anyways, here's the deal;

About 5 years ago I started dying my hair an auburn colour. My natural colour is a quite dark brown which doesn't look black even with normal indoor illumination (if it's dark outside, it will look black-ish), the thing is my hair is quite fine also (I mean each strand, though there's a decent general amount of it) so that doesn't help either since the colour doesn't even look even (it looks a lighter brown depending on the light).

Ok, I'll move on haha, after dying it like that two times I dyed it black, and straightened it consantly also, not daily since I have never washed my hair that much but at least twice a week. I did this for about two years, maybe a bit less. Another thing is I also dyed my hair with a golden blonde shade, which made my hair red-ish/orange (I wanted this colour, not the blonde one and bought this dye because my sister's friend had used it previously with those results).
So, there was a time when my hair was almost TB length, was dyed ever couple of months a shade much lighter than my original colour and it was straightened.

So, one day I was tired of all the damage and that and cut it to about BSL.
I kept dying it after that, though I stopped using the straightener.

The big cut was by the end of 2009, lets say january 1st of 2010 since it was like on dec. 25th or something...

Anyways, I've been growing it back to TB since then, I stopped dying it a year and a half ago and have some virgin very dark brown roots.

Now I'm bothered by the colour difference which is quite noticeable. Theres also a texture difference (and I'm not sure if it is because of the straighetener, the lightening of the hair and the poor hair care I had back then).

The thing is I now want my hair to be black, or blue-ish black. I did some research on indigo and dying with it but they don't sell it here, it's too expensive to buy and have it shipped here, and it's too much trouble applying it every two weeks for me, so I'm considering dying it with a permanent dye.

I would like your advice on what should I do. Sometimes I'm not that bothered by my natural colour, but the colour difference bothers me. And I feel like my natural colour is boring. I'm pretty sure the damage of using a dye every 4-5 months wouldn't be as much as it was from using a much lighter shade every 2 months+straightening it, but still, I'd lose some thickness....

Regarding colour and such, my eyebrows are very dark, and my skin is in the beige/yellowish side so it wouldn't even look that fake imo since people with black hair usually have this pale/yellowish skin tone, not a rosy one...but that's just me xP.

Note that I don't have many pretty features (boring brown eyes), big mouth...so I kinda focus on my hair. People say my best feature is my nose xP...but this doesnt make my face more interesting. Black hair looks more impressive, wouldn't require as much maintenance (my roots wouldnt show up as much) and would cause less damage than lightening...

Ok so this is it, I'm really sorry for the length of the post :(

Zesty
August 14th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I just wanted to say that Luxepiggy might be able to help you, she dyes her hair a blue-black color. It might be slightly different for you, because I think her hair is naturally black, but she might be able to tell you what she uses. Or you could search for her thread about it.

MidnightMoon
August 14th, 2012, 07:34 PM
I just wanted to say that Luxepiggy might be able to help you, she dyes her hair a blue-black color. It might be slightly different for you, because I think her hair is naturally black, but she might be able to tell you what she uses. Or you could search for her thread about it.

Thanks for answering, I have read though her posts, but I think she uses a semi permanent dye, which is put it every time she washes her hair?

I'm not sure I just think that's what I understood.

The thing is that it's quite hard to get hold of such products where I live and I'm not sure I could afford constantly using them, and buying them via internet makes it even more expensive :mad:

lmfbs
August 14th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Why not dye your hair as close as you can to your natural colour? No upkeep, and you can grow it all out?

Also, where do you live that it's so hard to get hold of products?

MidnightMoon
August 14th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Why not dye your hair as close as you can to your natural colour? No upkeep, and you can grow it all out?

Also, where do you live that it's so hard to get hold of products?

The thing is, my batural colour bores me most of the time :(

I live in the Dom. Rep. and the thing is, one must order such things via internet which makes them more expensive, I can't really choose the one I think looks best because I'm just looking at pics...
There are hair products here, just not a lot of dye options like those...
and I couldn't find henna/indigo
Maybe Im not looking well but oh well...this country isn't *that* civilised yet :p

MidnightMoon
August 15th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I think I'll use a calendar until mid-september to mark the days I really want my hair dyed black and see make a decision then :P, it seems funny but it's a pretty decent solution to decide wether I want it or not/what I prefer.

MidnightStar
August 15th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Hi, MidnightMoon! Luxepiggy uses Pravana vivids in blue on her hair. There's a thread somewhere under conventional products where she talks about it, but I can't find it right now.
I tried Pravana, and had horrible luck with it, but we decided it's probably because I've henna/indigo'ed my hair a lot in the past. It works fantastic for her, though - she's said that it sticks so well in her hair that she can tell when it starts to grow out. Since you've never used henna, maybe something like that might work? It's not damaging, at least not that I could tell. ;)

tiarefleur
August 15th, 2012, 03:38 PM
If you are going to use conventional dye, I would suggest demi-permanent over permanent. It is supposed to wash out in ~28 washes (although it differs from person to person). I used to use permanent box black dye and it made my hair feel like straw, but when I switched to demi-permanent salon black dyes from Sally's my hair was in much better condition, and I didn't need to worry about it being permanent if I changed my mind. Since you don't wash too often this might be a good choice for you!

Mya
August 15th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Why don't you go with a semi permanent dye instead? Permanent dye is going to fade anyway, even if it's black (been there). Semi perm should be less damaging and lasts long enough.

Also, I suggest that you dye some strands instead of your whole hair (lowlights), so the color difference is going to melt into a "fade in" effect (or ombre) and you avoid to stress your whole hair. You are going to change your mind one day anyway (I'm cursed with the brown hair boredom too), so it's not a good idea to color your whole head black.

MidnightMoon
August 15th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the answers so far girls, I'm taking all you've said into consideration.

Also, how funny that our usernames are Midnight Star & Moon x)