PDA

View Full Version : Wash method and hair type

battles
August 14th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I'm interested in which wash methods people find the best results with, along with what hair type they have.

I'm a 2a/2b/M/ii, low porosity, hates protein and I always get beautiful results from shampoo bars with a vinegar rinse. It manages to bring out my wave, reduce frizz and make my hair incredibly shiny without drying it out. I do need to do regular deep treatments, though.

lmfbs
August 14th, 2012, 06:52 PM
2c/M/C/ii/iii CO, occasionally with cones, ACV rinse and coconut oil pre-oiling.

Hollyfire3
August 14th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I'm a type 2b/2c/m/iii and I used shampoo and conditioner with the conditioner mixed with about a tablespoon of microwaved honey, my hair loves it!

Amorice
August 14th, 2012, 07:27 PM
1b / F / i/ii, CWC once every 4-5 days (though lately its been closer to 3 days due to swimming and family visits/meetings always landing on "greasy" days). I've noticed a decent decrease in daily shed since I started, and detangling has become a breeze!

KwaveT
August 14th, 2012, 07:31 PM
My hair ranges everywhere in the 2's. My hair is thick but not super thick. I use organic shampoo and organic conditioner sulfate and cone free. I wash and conditioner twice a week.

brave
August 14th, 2012, 07:35 PM
2cish, CO without cones all the way, leave tons in. Rather porous, somewhat coarse, low elasticity.

MeowScat
August 14th, 2012, 07:43 PM
1a / F / ii - I have to use SLS shampoo because of the greasies, and cone-free conditioner keeps it softer and less tangly.

But, I really want to find a SLS-free shampoo that doesn't leave my hair looking oily. The Loreal sulfate-free Ever Pure shampoos made it look greasy. I don't know what to try next, though.

SilverMcFly17
August 14th, 2012, 07:45 PM
1b-c/F/ii.

I recently became a b/c because I stopped combing my hair when it's wet. That's been a life long habit that has been hard to break.

My method is: Wash with Garnier Fall Fight shampoo or Length and Strength shampoo. Lather and rinse out. Then I apply the matching conditioner and make sure it is fully worked in. I let that sit while I finish the rest of my shower. I rinse out the condish in my regular temp. water because rinsing with cold does not get all of it out. I then splash some white vinegar into a quart container and fill the rest with water and dump that on. I work it around a bit and then turn the water as cold as I can stand and rinse it again. Get out. Wrap up with a micro fiber towel for a few minutes. I take that off when it's still a bit drippy and I spray Infusium 23 leave in treatment all over and work it in gently with my fingers. Then let it air dry.

This routine is working amazingly for my hair right now. I really should get around to taking new photos of my wavys.

lmfbs
August 14th, 2012, 08:19 PM
I'm a type 2b/2c/m/iii and I used shampoo and conditioner with the conditioner mixed with about a tablespoon of microwaved honey, my hair loves it!

I forgot. I also add honey to my conditioner - my hair adores it.

2cish, CO without cones all the way, leave tons in. Rather porous, somewhat coarse, low elasticity.

I leave in lots and lots of conditioner also.

Really interesting how a pattern is already forming.

Amber_Maiden
August 14th, 2012, 08:23 PM
2b/m/iii mostly COing, with cones, preoling with olive oil and Nightblooming oil. Once or twice a month I use diluted shampoo on my scalp only.

starry
August 14th, 2012, 08:27 PM
great Idea for a thread! very helpful. I was water only for about 3 months but its killed my wave pattern so I shall do shampoo and condish, try honey etc.

I was doing lemon juice rinses which were fanstastic for my waves and shine.

Kelikea
August 14th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I think think your hair type and routine should include and consider the oily/dry/normal and combination skin type of your scalp, much like your facial skin care routine would depend on your skin type. Your hair's health has a lot to do with the health of your scalp. My hair might be fine and thick and wavy, but if my scalp is super sensitive, flaky, and dry, it might respond much differently to product than someone else with the same hair type, but different skin type. This would be exacerbated by any other underlying skin conditions and allergies as well. That being said, my hair and scalp seem to respond best to mostly organic shampoos, sls and cone free, and conditioners containing protein. I use mostly VO5 conditioners (strawberry cream and silk cashmere) but also use some Nature's Gate Organics. My shampoo is usually Desert Essence Organics or Nature's Gate Organics. I also like a diluted vinegar rinse. I tried oil shampoo with Dr. Bronner's and coconut oil, but was left with a really flaky scalp. CO leaves me with coated hair and scalp that gets itchy within a day.

SilverMcFly17
August 14th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Hmm. Honey. I'll have to try that.

vanillabones
August 14th, 2012, 09:04 PM
This is a great thread, I was about to ask this question today but specially to fine thin hairs.

I am 1b/F/ i/ii and I CWC or just wash and condition. I wash every other day. I use SLS-free shampoo unless I am clarifying or am wicked greasy! And I use cones. I like not using cones but after a week my hair becomes really dry and gross... maybe once all my damage is gone.

Perididdle
August 14th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Still trying to find my perfect process but right now...

2b, M/C and just above a iii. CWC, with Tresemme Naturals for the first C, whatever I have on hand (Neutrogena Triple Moisture right now) for the S, and a thick, coney conditioner for the last C (Neutrogena Triple Moisture and Dove Intensive Repair right now). Playing with leaving in diluted Tresemme Naturals once it's towel dried.

Experimenting with oiling right now. Need to find a leave-in that really keeps my curls and frizz tamed.

HappyHair87
August 14th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I am 3c/M/ii

I co-wash for the most part. I like to use Suave Naturals coconut (might try adding honey to it now thanx to this thread :D). My RO(detangler) is Tresemme Naturals....i finger comb that through...and then rinse it out to rinse out my sheds. I add more in (GOBS!!) let it sit while i shower...rinse some of that out..not completely...add a teeny bit more if i rinsed too much out....and then i rake in my gel (EcoStyler) on top of that...catch the drippies with a t-shirt and then let it airdry.

I shampoo every 1-2 weeks with the Tresemme Naturals Shampoo.

aisha.christine
August 14th, 2012, 10:47 PM
I have 2a waves most of the time because I brush my waves out, but if I don't touch it it's 2b/2c.
Medium hair texture, and iii thickness. My scalp and hair are very dry naturally.

I CO wash with Suave Naturals Sweet Pea and Violet whenever I feel like it, and occasionally clarify when needed.

spirals
August 14th, 2012, 11:01 PM
I'm a 2c/3a. My hair is fairly thick--4-inch ponytail circumfrence. I am having good results with palm oil-based soap and conditioner with citric acid added to it. I have used leave-ins for years, often regular conditoner. Currently I'm using Shea Moisture styling milk. I only need a tiny amount, like a teaspoon. I used to put in a palmful of gel! I scrunch the Shea Moisture into sopping-wet hair and towel up. I air dry without combing, just a little manipulation with the fingers to get the front to go right.

MintChocChip
August 15th, 2012, 02:09 AM
What a good idea for a thread! :) I have 1b/ f/ i. I'm still trying to find what works for my hair, but my current routine is CWC twice a week (Tuesday's and Saturday's normally). Although I do just wash and condition about one wash in a month. I like to SMT once a week, normally my weekend wash. I also do an ACV rinse every wash and am going to start tea rinses and see how they work with my hair :)

SilverDoe
August 15th, 2012, 02:16 AM
1C/F/ii. Used to be a 2a/b before henna. Can't CO wash anymore since then.
I wash with Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo (SLS free) 3-4 times a week. Followed by a mix of conditioners with aloe vera gel, or Jessicurl Aloeba Daily conditioner as a leave in.
I oil with Organic Camellia Japonica oil on washed damp hair, and then braid it.

Urban Babe
August 15th, 2012, 07:26 AM
My scalp is oily and my ends are dry. I'm 1c/2a, F, ii. I wash my hair two times a week. The night before washing, I massage my hair with castor oil, then I wrap it around my shower cap; since I'm still in vacation, I have the time to let my hair soak into the oil for at least 12 hours (I'm sure that after I start school I'll only do this for few hours).

The next day I wash it with baking soda and rinse with apple cider vinegar. I get shiny, frizz-free, easy to detangle hair.

Oh, and I let it air dry and I wear my hear in a french braid about 4-5 days of the week.

I started this method on the 1st of August and I can't believe how fast my hair grows! I've used commercial shampoos and conditioners and expensive treatments but my hair was always dull. Now it's just like I want it!

It still falls out much, but I'm seeing some new hair growing, so I hope it'll be thicker someday :).

Rufflebutt
August 15th, 2012, 07:28 AM
I have thick 1b/c hair with mainly medium or coarse strands. I usually CWC or CO. And lately I've been trying to stretch my washes.

Vampyria
August 15th, 2012, 08:39 AM
I have 2b M/C ii hair and I use coconut or avocado oil as a pre-wash and leave-in, natural shampoo and conditioner.

My hair quite likes that routine, it's healthy, quite moisturized, but it looks more like 1c/2a and a bit frizzy the first two days after washing. It only shows it's natural wavy texture with water only (I discovered my waves after swimming in the lake.)

Maybe CO-washing would also do the trick, but I feel like my hair starts to shed more, if I don't properly clean my scalp with shampoo. I'm going to try it once though. I suspect that shower also prevents my hair to clump up and form waves.

I noticed that similar types to mine like honey. I'm going to try that too. :)

Garnet66
August 15th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I'm a 1c/M/ii and I wash my hair every three days with a low sulfate shampoo and cone free condish which I follow with an ACV rinse. Then I put a little coconut oil on it while it's wet. Both my hair and scalp are happy since I've started doing this.

lau_g
August 15th, 2012, 09:05 AM
1a / F / ii - I have to use SLS shampoo because of the greasies, and cone-free conditioner keeps it softer and less tangly.

But, I really want to find a SLS-free shampoo that doesn't leave my hair looking oily. The Loreal sulfate-free Ever Pure shampoos made it look greasy. I don't know what to try next, though.

Try The Body Shop Rainforest Volume shampoo.It doesn't make your hair greasy ,but you have to wash it a few times and rub the shampoo in your hands first.It's the only shampoo that doesn't make my hair greasy and my scalp itchy.The balance one made my hair really static:rolleyes:

rtree721
August 15th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I am currently using nature's shampoo. Have you tried that brand yet?

Indigo Girl
August 15th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I'm 1a/F/ii. My shampoo brands very, but I always use Biolage Conditioning Balm on the length and do a cold water ACV rinse.

I've noticed what makes the biggest difference to my hair is the cold water ACV rinse. If I skip it even for one wash, the difference is noticable in the softness, shine, and slip of my hair.

I would like to go more natural with my shampoos and conditioner though, and am currently debating whether or not to try the Morocco Method. :hmm:

UP Lisa
August 15th, 2012, 12:40 PM
What is your ratio of ACV to water?

I have never tried this. I have hard water. What type of water do you have?

I'm 1a/F/ii. My shampoo brands very, but I always use Biolage Conditioning Balm on the length and do a cold water ACV rinse.

I've noticed what makes the biggest difference to my hair is the cold water ACV rinse. If I skip it even for one wash, the difference is noticable in the softness, shine, and slip of my hair.

I would like to go more natural with my shampoos and conditioner though, and am currently debating whether or not to try the Morocco Method. :hmm:

Tisiloves
August 15th, 2012, 12:59 PM
1a/b/ M/C / ii/iii (apparently my hair likes to straddle categories):

Coconut oil pre-wash, 2-step CO wash (step 1 cheapy, dilute cone-free, step 2 dimeticone-y goodness), amodimethicone based detangle spray (I would give brands but everything I use is either unavailable outside the UK or out of production).

Once every 4-6 weeks clarify pre-henna with L'Oreal Kids Swim-and-Sun (cone-free, SLS based).

Kiwiwi
August 15th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I am 3b, f/m, ii/iii.

I have 2 methods. One for when I put my hair up all day and one for when I want my curls out.
I almost always wear my hair up so I don't wear my curls.

I wash, mostly my scalp, every 2 days (sometimes 3 days when my head is not itching like crazy) with a sulfate free, mild shampoo with tea tree in it to help with my itchies. Then I use a nice cone free conditioner from my ears down. Then I pat it dry and put a few drops of argan oil in it and then I braid it or put it up.
About once a month a clarify with a strong shampoo, then I do a protein treatment followed by a moisturizing treatment. All in one session.

When I wear my curls I basicly do the same thing only I use a lot more conditioner and I use it all over. I rinse about 70% out, leaving some in. Then I put some gel in my soaking wet hair and then I scrunch the excess gel/water out with a t-shirt. And then I let it air dry. When it's dry I scrunch the hard gel cast out for super soft, bouncy curls :)

Anje
August 15th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I'm 1c/2a/F/ii (2.5 inch circumference, so on the low end of ii). I trade it up a bit with normal shampooing, but I generally get my best results CO washing with Suave Aloe and Waterlily as needed, which is usually about twice a week.

I suspect my results are a little unusual for someone with fine, thinnish, and relatively straight hair with CO, but what works is what works, right? One of the reasons this does better for me than shampoo and conditioner is that my new growth has a tendency to curl for a few inches -- if I shampoo, I have a curly frizzy halo around my head for about 2 days. CO keeps that to a relatively low level.

WO has worked OK for me in the past, but my ends got dry and I eventually tired of the slightly greasy scalp. The frizzies were at an all-time low, though, and so was the shedding. I've never had good results with pre-oiling before a wash, so I rarely do it.

ETA: I have a reactive scalp that produces more oil if I shampoo frequently. I even have to wash more in the winter due to the dryness making my scalp grease up. Hair dislikes protein (particularly silk protein) and dimethicone-like silicones dry it out.

sparrowswing
August 15th, 2012, 02:56 PM
1a/b / F / ii

I CWC roughly every 3-5 days. My conditioner is V05 moisture milks. Right now I'm using Avalon Organics shampoo, but it's an old bottle from before they changed their formula. It's working great, but once I run out, I have a feeling I won't like the new mix and will be back to searching for a sulfate-free shampoo that doesn't make my hair forever look like it's 4-5 days since it was washed. My hair looks great with Fructis shampoos, but anything with sulfates makes me shed a bit more than I'd like.

Does anyone else bun their hair in the shower? After the CW part of my routine, I put conditioner on all my hair and then put it up in a bun with a DPN while I do the rest of my showering. Then I take it down at the end to rinse. It keeps it out of the way, and I don't have to worry about every little move sending water to wash away my conditioner.

AdaClare
August 15th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I'm a 1c/M/ii and CWC every night. I use V05 moisture milks (strawberry :D ) for the first C, and Dove daily moisture and intensive repair for the wash and second condition, respectively.

sparrowswing, I bun my hair for the CW part, too. :)

chou
August 15th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Oooh, this is a fantastic thread! I have always wondered if some washing methods were more well suited to certain haritypes or textures than others.

My hair is 2c/M/iii, HATES protein, and I have been using soap-based cleansers for the past several months, first toadstool shampoo and then shampoo bars. I wash 2-3 times weekly and rinse with ACV every time. I needed conditioner with the toadstool shampoo but not shampoo bars. I've had similar results as the OP: shinier, softer, bouncier waves and curls. CO left my hair fluffy and dull and eventually coated in crunchy buildup.
I clarify once a month or so.

Indigo Girl
August 15th, 2012, 05:49 PM
What is your ratio of ACV to water?

I have never tried this. I have hard water. What type of water do you have?

I also have hard water. I think the standard ratio of ACV to water is supposed to be 1 part ACV to 9 parts water, but my ratio is much higher than that - I use about 1 part ACV to 3 parts water.

lapushka
August 15th, 2012, 06:09 PM
2aFiii - My hair's WCC: washed with regular (harsh) shampoo, then conditioned twice. Currently using Pantene Aqua Light and Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. After that, a leave-in, some oil or serum and gel goes on.

swearnsue
August 15th, 2012, 06:21 PM

Our hair is similar I guess and I have the same problem. I tried the L'Oreal Ever Sleek line and it made my hair greasy too, it must be basically the same as the Ever Pure stuff. I found one I like. It's Finesse Clean & Simple Hypoallergenic Shampoo for Dry Hair. It has no sulfates and a relatively short list of chemicals and not much perfume.

silverthread
August 15th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I'm 2a/F/ii, low porosity, normal scalp (used to be oily until I stretched washes). I've finally discovered that my hair likes balance. That means I cannot use the same routine every time. I switch it up between CWC, CO, WO and herb rinses. I saw the biggest improvement in my hair when I started using Snowymoon's Hair Massage Technique two or three times a day. Suddenly, my major shedding stopped, and my hair feels softer and thicker. I comb my hair when it's almost dry, using a wooden comb. I never use a brush or heat on my hair. No products. About once a month, I'll mix a raw egg or a 1/2 tsp of baking soda into my conditioner when I CO. Because I have hard water, I clarify with Ion crystal clarifier when necessary. I don't use sulfates or cones. For me, there's no one magic bullet. I pay attention to my hair and use what my hair feels like it needs on wash day (which is about once every four days).

My favorite shampoo is Zotos Pure Elements for color-treated hair (even though my hair isn't colored). My pre-wash conditioner is Tresamme Natural Nourishing Moisture, and post-wash conditioner is VO5 pomegranate/grapeseed.

Five of Five
August 15th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I have 1b /F/ ii/iii and extremely oily skin and hair. My hair type and colour exacerbate this natural greasiness so my routine revolves around that.

I CWC every three days with non-diluted SLS shampoo, preferably cone-free above the ears. The more I strip my scalp of oil and build-up, and the less I allow any skin to touch my hair, the better my hair looks by day three. I find this approach to stretching washes to be a good compromise. I would prefer to wash more often, but it takes forever to dry and it irritates my scalp.

Cone-free isn't that great on my length, and it doesn't give me any extra volume or curl as some fine-haired people report. It does make my hair feel a bit stronger, but I prefer the look and feel of cones, as well as the ease of detangling. Usually my conditioner is heavy as that seems to help prevent tangles and flyaways.

Sometimes I cover my length with a plastic sleeve so I don't have to wash it.

Tia2010
August 15th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I'm a 1c/2a F/M ii

I like to switch up and try new products but for right now "Giovanni" and "Say yes to carrots" are my favorites. :)

I wash my scalp once (just letting the suds run down the length) then condition my length ( and just run a tiny bit of the conditioner that's left on my hands on the scalp hair) then I do a final rinse with distilled water.

About every third wash I do a co-wash followed by an ACV rinse that I let sit a few minutes and quick distilled water rinse.

tmb1975
August 15th, 2012, 08:49 PM
For those of you using honey, doesn't it leave your hair sticky?

I wish I could use vinegar but the smell makes me want to wretch. I have used citric acid though.

I am constantly switching my routine now so I don't have a group of products I can rave about, but one shampoo that is sulfate-free and is consistently very easy on my hair is Elan Sassoon's Sojourn Moisturizing shampoo. His is a new line (he's Vidal's son) and I like only the leave-in conditioner and the shampoo, but dang, if you have tangle issues after using a shampoo, this is the one for you. My hair still is like seaweed, but that's just my texture issues at the moment.

TheMechaGinger
August 15th, 2012, 09:09 PM
1b/M/ii/iii I just s&c with cones and sulfates and then put a coney serum in when my hair is still damp. I'm trying to experiment with various sulfate free shampoos so I only use sulfates once a month or so to clarify with

MeowScat
August 16th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Try The Body Shop Rainforest Volume shampoo.It doesn't make your hair greasy ,but you have to wash it a few times and rub the shampoo in your hands first.It's the only shampoo that doesn't make my hair greasy and my scalp itchy.The balance one made my hair really static:rolleyes:

Thank you for the suggestion! I'm going to check out if it's on Amazon now. I've read a lot of good things about The Body Shop on here. I guess its time for me to jump on the bandwagon.

1a/b / F / ii

Does anyone else bun their hair in the shower? After the CW part of my routine, I put conditioner on all my hair and then put it up in a bun with a DPN while I do the rest of my showering. Then I take it down at the end to rinse. It keeps it out of the way, and I don't have to worry about every little move sending water to wash away my conditioner.

I tried this a few times but it was depositing conditioner on my scalp so I switched to using a showercap instead. I twist the length into a bun at my nape, put on the showercap and I'm good to go. I also let the warm water run over the outside of the showercap to heat up the conditioner a bit.

Our hair is similar I guess and I have the same problem. I tried the L'Oreal Ever Sleek line and it made my hair greasy too, it must be basically the same as the Ever Pure stuff. I found one I like. It's Finesse Clean & Simple Hypoallergenic Shampoo for Dry Hair. It has no sulfates and a relatively short list of chemicals and not much perfume.

I never thought of Finesse, I assumed they all had sulfates. I hope Walmart or CVS carries it, or I could check Amazon for that as well. Thank you!

silverthread
August 16th, 2012, 05:03 AM
I was hoping to see a pattern develop through all these responses, but so far, successful methods vary so much even among people who have seemingly similar hair. It's like an algebra problem with no specific numerals: all variables, such as: porosity, hardness of water, chemically-treated or not, texture, hormones, oily v. dry v. normal scalp, etc. Still, it's informative to read all these responses because it helps us who are still looking for the perfect routine to finally land on something that works. It's trial and error.

Oksana
August 16th, 2012, 05:21 AM
I am 2b/F/ii. My best routine is to CO wash with cone free conditioner, leave my hair to dry 50% then lightly oil with argan oil, spray with water and then keep scruching until dry. This gives me nice defined waves (in sig pic). If I leave my hair to dry normally I get less defined waves or frizz.

UP Lisa
August 16th, 2012, 06:06 AM
You do have such gorgeous hair, Oksana!

I am 2b/F/ii. My best routine is to CO wash with cone free conditioner, leave my hair to dry 50% then lightly oil with argan oil, spray with water and then keep scruching until dry. This gives me nice defined waves (in sig pic). If I leave my hair to dry normally I get less defined waves or frizz.

Oksana
August 16th, 2012, 09:50 AM
You do have such gorgeous hair, Oksana!

Thankyou :D

Anje
August 16th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I do, if I don't have a shower cap (so say, when I'm traveling). At home, I just wrap my conditioner-filled hair around my hand a few times, plop it in the cap, and go about my showerly business.

UP Lisa
August 16th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Wow. I finally know how to get may hair into a cap properly. Thank you, Anje.:o

I do, if I don't have a shower cap (so say, when I'm traveling). At home, I just wrap my conditioner-filled hair around my hand a few times, plop it in the cap, and go about my showerly business.

CurlySasha
August 16th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I have 3a/3b, iii, M/C hair. I wash twice a week, and SMT (with EVOO) as often as possible (lately it's been every wash). I use a sulfate and cone free shampoo on my scalp only, and then load a thick, creamy cone free conditioner all over, particularly the ends (I love Matrix Biolage Deep Conditioning Balm). I squish the excess water out of my hair and spray in my leave in (water and my condish) and oil my damp hair. Then scrunch dry with a cotton t-shirt. Voila! :)

ladylowtide
August 16th, 2012, 02:11 PM
1b/f and m hairs/ ii

I a reactive scalp and dry ends. I do sulfate cone free CWC once weekly. I don't have dry ends anymore.

dwell_in_safety
August 16th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I am a 2b, M/C, iii.

I CO-wash once a week with coconut oiling before every other wash. No 'cones. Wear my hair up daily. That's it. Always very soft and shiny.

Firefly
August 16th, 2012, 04:03 PM
<--- Hair type on right. I find I have to mix it up. In the summer, CO works best and helps keep my halo to a minimum. In the winter, my hair looks best when I do lots of prewash oilings and regular S&C. I alternate products a lot-- cones, no cones, leave-ins, rinse outs. Unfortunately it seems the best routine for me is a lack of routine! :rolleyes:

ratgirldjh
August 16th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I think I'm a 2C and M. When I was younger I used diluted SLS shampoo for years with rosemary oil on the ends and thought my hair was straight!

When I started using poo bars or soap and ACV rinse I noticed I had waves!

Now I'm trying to encourage my waves by doing CO washing with cones and after a drop of MO.

Works great so far! And I'm using Pantene Ice Shine - I never had good results with no-cone conditioners :shrug: This is the first coney conditioner I think I have ever tried (besides suave professional which made my hair straight) and I was shocked at how well it works.

eta: Recently I tried HE Hello Hydration and didn't get anywhere near as good results even though the formula is similar - but I think I could live with the results it is just that the smell made me sick! Can't believe I think Pantene smells better! :shudder:

Silver Swan
August 16th, 2012, 05:09 PM
1b / F / ii - my hair is smooth and not prone to tangles (not sure how this relates to porosity, etc)

I have very dry skin and scalp (I've needed to use straight shea butter on my face this winter!)

Because of this or because I've stretched washes I only wash once a week. I probably only need to wash every 10-14 days, but find it easier to wash in the weekend so it ends up being once a week.

I've used baking soda and white vinegar washes and occasional WO for the past 2/3 years without problems.

As I have read that baking soda is drying and my waist length ends are now getting quite fragile and split, I am trying to experiment with other things, but because of my low wash frequency it is going very slowly! Also I want to do oil treatments on my hair and BS doesn't get it out so well. . . I recently bought a Garnier Frutus gentle shampoo and conditioner and tried CWC, but it was awful! My length was lackluste and my ends dry and tangly. I only shampooed my scalp, so perhaps that was the problem. In my most recent wash I thought I would give it one last try, I washed and then conditioned the full length and followed up with a vinegar rinse at the end. Now it feels lovely, so I'm thinking I need the vinegar rinse.

I would rather be SLS-free though, so I might try soap nuts next.

UP Lisa
August 17th, 2012, 05:59 AM
I keep wondering why people think they need to rinse their hair with vinegar. I just really don't see a need for it, I guess. Please explain.

Lauram
August 17th, 2012, 07:24 AM
I just stared co ing ..switched from no sls cone - free shamp and conditioner...I'm still used to washing everyday ...so I'm co ing everyday for now. My hair is slightly dry, kinda fine/ medium. I oil before bed and braid it. My scalp is much happier not getting stripped everyday. I'm sure I can stretch washings, it's just habit

SilverMcFly17
August 17th, 2012, 08:29 AM
I think everyone has different reasons to use vinegar. For me, my water is very hard and my hair is very damaged so I have TONS of frizzy at the ends. The vinegar helps to seal the cuticle and return the hair to it's natural Ph level. Combine with cold water it seals the hair and makes it very shiny.

Xi
August 17th, 2012, 08:55 AM
2A, F/M, i/ii --> CWC every 4 days or so with shampoo and coney conditioner. I think hair length & scalp are also key determinants of wash routines -- I'm a bit over tailbone length, with medium oily scalp. The cones would straighten out my waves (such as they are) if I combed while damp and then left to air dry -- since I always damp-braid, though, I find the cones facilitate smooth & shiny braidwaves.

ifjuly
March 20th, 2014, 01:51 PM
1c/M/C/ii/iii, currently between APL and BSL. Still figuring out what works best, and I've a feeling I may have to revise soon once summer gears up as it gets really humid here. But right now I'm doing this:

Tue: CWC wash using whatever cheap conditioner I've got lying around first, then L'oreal Ever (I love the Ever Strong shampoo!), Shea Moisture, or Giovanni (I'm a product junkie I admit), then camellia oil or Toadstool leave-in on damp ends
Thu: CO wash using Suave Naturals, V05 Tea Therapy, or Whole Foods 365 Herbal Mint conditioner, then camellia oil on damp ends
Sat or Sun (which day depends on how my hair feels, whether we're going out, how busy I am, etc.): Toadstool shampoo plus ACV rinse, then Toadstool leave-in on damp ends

The Toadstool's the wild card right now--I LOVE the leave-in conditioner, it's as effective as camellia oil for me (my holy grail product!) and I love the scents, but the shampoo is a mixed bag so far...it makes my hair crazy shiny but it also seems like all the plant oils in it weigh it down and make my scalp look stringy/greasy faster than the other methods I use, and it seems like it increases my flyaways. I really want to love it and I'm hoping adding the ACV rinse will help (this is the first week I've added it in).

CO washing is also kind of mixed bag, but not enough for me to give it up entirely--it makes my hair hair ad-level shiny and soft and beautiful (I have a hard time resisting the urge to keep shaking my head back and forth like they do in the commercials it's so nice LOL) and my hair doesn't look greasy for a good 2 or 3 days after doing it which is awesome, BUT I could swear it causes a lot of shedding and when I do it more than once a week my scalp starts to protest with itchies. Limiting it to once a week, crossing my fingers my scalp and shed count can handle it because it's LOOKS great.

Ultimately, I'd love to be able to only use shampoo once a week, particularly in the dry winter months. But I'm definitely not there yet, and maybe that won't prove a realistic goal--I've always had oily hair and skin.

Aderyn
March 20th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I have 2c, fine, low porosity, dislikes excessive protein, thick, pretty healthy hair and I use shampoo bars once or twice a week (working on stretching to once a week because I'm lazy). I live in the Pacific Northwest (rains a lot, high humidity, not that much sun compared to down south). I also have very dry, sensitive skin.

Out of the methods I've tried (SC with sulfates, SC with gentler products, CSC, CO-wash, shampoo bar)
My ranking of the methods I've tried (for longer than just a week, mind you.)
1. Shampoo bars. What I currently use. Very gentle on the scalp, regardless of whether I wash my hair every day or once a week. Chestnut Henna, Carrot Milk and Honey by Chagrin Valley have been my favorites so far, though the ones from Sweet Creek Herbs, Prarieland Herbs and GreenKimono have all been quite nice, too. Leaves my hair soft, shiny and smooth down the entire length. I do not use a vinegar rinse, unlike many shampoo-bar users here. Thank goodness for soft water. I don't use a conditioner, pre-poo treatment, etc.
2. SC with gentler products/CSC. I can't say with one is better as I didn't really notice that much of a difference. This is what I used pimmediately rior to discovering LHC and shampoo bars, and they work quite nicely as well.
3. SC with sulfates, still loads better than CO-washing, but left my hair (and scalp) drier than I'd like.
4. CO-washing was the worst, by far. Left my hair and scalp a greasy, flaky mess. Tried this for around 5 months with a variety of conditioners to see if anything would help, but it didn't.

Interesting to see all of the different methods and all of the variables to consider for why a particular method might work for one and not for another, though.

Weewah
March 20th, 2014, 05:53 PM
I'm a mixture of 2a/2b/2c, oily roots with dry porous length. Co-washing has been awesome for my dry damaged hair, while still getting my oily scalp clean. My hair's just calmer and easier to work with now.

lapushka
March 20th, 2014, 05:57 PM
I'm a 2b/cFiii, low porosity, my hair can take protein but not too too much. TBH, I don't pay much attention. We use sulfates, the really harsh ones (Pantene, Herbal Essences that contain both SLS & SLES) because of SD (I need the harsher cleansers). Due to conditioning twice and applying the LOC method, we manage to get enough moisture in my hair that it doesn't touch the waves (they are nice and smooth and frizz-free).

Nadine <3
March 20th, 2014, 10:26 PM
right now I wash, condition, condition. I switch between the throwback herbal essences and garnier fructis. wash scalp only, and then I Condition with my GUD conditioner (the one in the green bottle) and then I follow that up with a coney conditioner. Usually my garnier, I use the herbal essences if I want a heavier cone. I was every 4 days, and I always do an overnight oling with olive oil. If my hair is feeling really dry I will do a CO wash with suave but I can't do it long term. I get scalp acne and hair fall. I'm still doing a lot of experimentation, but so far this has been the best for my hair.

sarahthegemini
March 21st, 2014, 09:02 AM
I'm a 2a finey with not a lot of thickness and I co-wash every 4-5 days. I believe I am normal/average porosity.