PDA

View Full Version : Post-Breakup Hairstyle

Simone_Fatale
August 14th, 2012, 12:38 PM
As I've noticed, and experienced myself, bad cases of relationship breakups often leave a strong desire for change, which in many cases manifests in a hairstyle change - a new haircut, adding a fringe, changing color, or chopping it all off. Sometimes it can produce interesting results, sometimes it ends in disaster.

Have you experienced this and ended up with fairly good results, or has your hair ended up as a victim of this phenomena? :D

I personally had assymetrical bangs cut after a tough breakup a month ago and I totally love the results. It's almost like it needed to happen in order to inspire me to finally get the courage and try out the haircut I want.

kittykat86
August 14th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Ever since I was 16 or so, I would chop off all my hair whenever I went through a breakup. I think I did it because they wanted me to have my hair long and at the time I preferred short hair for myself. I did the last chop in January of 2010 and met my husband in April of 2010. Now I am growing it as long as I can. :)

ratgirldjh
August 14th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I've always heard the saying for boyfriends or husbands to beware if you girl friend or wife suddenly chops all her hair off short... ;)

Demi-Plum
August 14th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Never had any wanting to chop it off after a breakup. Every once in a while I will feel I need a change, but I don't want to lose my length and I don't like dying so I'm stuck with trying to do something with my bangs or maybe a little facial framing..... it doesn't usually do the trick, so I just have to wait for it to blow over

Tisiloves
August 14th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Nope, I get a new piercing instead, the afterglow lasts longer.

Carolyn
August 14th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I've never abused myself or my hair after a break up. The guys were simply not worth any self loathing behavior.

Mya
August 14th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Nope, I get a new piercing instead, the afterglow lasts longer.
Well said! :cool:

spidermom
August 14th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I've changed my hair plenty of times, but I don't recall that a breakup ever had anything to do with it.

Tota
August 14th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I've always heard the saying for boyfriends or husbands to beware if you girl friend or wife suddenly chops all her hair off short... ;)

Same here. 4 years ago I chopped my almost BSL hair into a short pixie (only because of the damage lol). The next thing I know, an older female friend or ours said to my bf: "Be careful now, the next thing that goes is you!" :) He was extra nice for the next few days bwahahaha :D

I don't know if it's true though, I never went through a break-up (*knocks on wood*).

joflakes
August 14th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Yep, I've done this. Only once though when I was about 16. I had APL hair and he loved it so I got it cut into a pixie. Worst.Decision.Ever.

It hasn't been that long since. :o

Vampyria
August 14th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Once I just dyed from orange to dark red, and the other time I also got a piercing (labret) and started growing out the dye. Which also meant, I cut a lot of my almost waist length hair. After almost two years I still have the piercing and I'm still growing out dye (almost done though), so those were good changes for me.

xltorresx
August 14th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Every couple of years I feel the need to makeover my whole look, never because of a break up though. Just because out of boredom.

Ginger Kitteh
August 14th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Yep. Dyed it dark brown. I find that when I'm happy with a man it makes me want to keep my red hair or enhance it instead of hiding it (I felt insecure about it when I was back in the dating scene again). As for cutting it, that was not correlated with my relationships. :D

Thenolegirl
August 14th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I just went through a tough breakup a month ago. It actually encouraged me to take better care of myself. =) For me - long hair is beautiful and I've never cut it or changed it for a guy. If anything, I think it's all the more important that I take care of it and now have the time to focus a little on myself.

Amber_Maiden
August 14th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Yes, I've experienced post-breakup hair.Usually it makes me feel and look pretty good. I had a break up about 3 months ago, and I only cut 4in off my hair, this time.

sunflower_daze
August 14th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I'm in the body art group.
Usually when I do something drastic to my hair it's because I'm bored. Only the dying has turned out not the cuts. :(

elea
August 14th, 2012, 03:02 PM
not me but often noticed it with friends

xoerincolleen
August 14th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I just try and make myself look as attractive as possible so they hate themselves for ending things with me, haha. And I think I look best with long hair so to answer the original post, no, I've never done anything drastic to my hair as the result of a breakup (or ever, really!).

sloth
August 14th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Every couple of years I feel the need to makeover my whole look, never because of a break up though. Just because out of boredom.

This is the same with me.

Heck, your avatar makes me want black hair. I'm... going through one of those times now.

Neneka
August 15th, 2012, 02:03 AM
I am guilty... I have chopped my hair because of breakups. Or actually just before it, twice. At the first time I chopped my LONG and RED hair to a pixie and bleached it too. Then after another breakup I had all virgin hair and I bleached it again. :shake:

redwoodfey
August 15th, 2012, 02:54 AM
Oh yeah. Breakups and other huge things in life. Loss of a job, a move, death of a loved one. It always makes me want to change my hair. Dying it, cutting it, changing the style. I stayed up until almost 4am the other night, stressed out about some life stuff, and woke up the next morning with bangs!! Haha. Thankfully, I like the way it looks. And they're not *that* crooked. :D

freznow
August 15th, 2012, 04:57 AM
I've never been in a *tough* break up. Normally I do things because I'm bored or feeling rebellious... which can happen in or out of a relationship!

Like, I cut my hair the end of high school. I seem to henna and do more skin care things over the summer. I have most thoughts of piercing when I get around to browsing fun jewelry. These just don't happen so much when I'm actually busy.

Shadow Walker
August 15th, 2012, 01:44 PM
My post breakup change was me growing my hair out. Best decision ever. :)

jessa
August 15th, 2012, 11:31 PM
my post break up hair is usually just a drastic colour change, most recently was going from bleach blonde to a brown-ish colour.

elthea
August 16th, 2012, 05:06 AM
I haven't ever felt the need, but my sister chopped APL hair into a pixie when she got divorced. She rocks it, she's so pretty she could shave it bald, paint it silver and cover herself in a three inch layer of mud and still be drop-dead gorgeous, but I was so sad to see her hair go. It was so thick and she had these big loose curls that were so sweet and lovely. You can barely tell it's curly in the pixie.

pink.sara
August 16th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Yup, 19 years old, knee length dreads to a pixie.

Now I change my hair monthly just for the hell of it.

BelleLoupGarou
August 16th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Yep! I have been there...Except with me I do it whenever anything life changing happens. If I hadnt discovered how to cut layers into my hair Id be bald. However, I really hate my layers now!

Ayjay
August 16th, 2012, 06:02 AM
I dyed my hair for the first time once. I look pretty cute and a strawberry blonde. (way before the underlayer being crayon red)

thirstylocks
August 16th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I went blonde (or tried) for a guy when I was 17 because he preferred blondes...I'm still recovering from all that bleach. But I learned my lesson and I don't really pay any attention to what guys want me to do with my hair...
When I broke up with that guy I dyed my hair red. I never will go blonde again!

MintChocChip
August 16th, 2012, 10:25 AM
In October my ex boyfriend broke up with me, I had the strongest urge to cut off all my hair into a pixie because he always said that he didn't think I'd look good with short hair in an act of defiance and anger I guess. I was persuaded not to by a close friend who reminded me I was growing my hair, and that I only desired a pixie because I was upset/angry/felt like I needed a change. I am so glad I listened to him! :o

SerinaDaith
August 16th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I used to stress cut and dye, I grew my hair out to my longest lengths while in a four year relationship because he liked long hair, we had an ugly breakup and I chopped my hair and went ginger, the color was great, the cut however was not. Now I am just sad because of all the length I have lost over the years due to stress. I wish I had stuck to temporary dye rather than taking the plunge into permanent dyes too. Oh well I am making better choices for my hair care and working towards finding my best hair care routine. My last grandparent died last year so I bleached everything then dyed it black and purple, my aunt got diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago so I got betty page bangs (not a good look for me, way to much work). I want to focus on less damaging ways to play with my hair, temp dyes, hair chalking, ribbon weaving and indian yarn braids, that way I can play without setting myself months or years back.
I love the idea of getting new ink or metal I will try to remember that the next time the stress fairy comes around to visit!

vanillabones
August 16th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I think a lot of the things I did with my hair had to do with my ex. I just saw him yesterday but he's the only guy I've ever liked and lies to me A LOT. When I feel really depressed about him now I think about cutting it or shaving it all off but I will not. I need a trim however! I also get new piercings for a change when I need it. I think I need a new one soon once the demons creep back into my sad mind! So... a 1/2 inch trim and Tongue Frenulum web piercing before Xmas I assume.

afu
August 16th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I never have done before, but I think if me and SO ever broke up I would be dangerously close. I think if that situation occured I would either chop to a pixie because he always encourages me to keep my hair long and ive always wondered how short hair would feel (never gone shorter than shoulder length) or ger dreads again because he hates them but I like them on other people. Or I would become even more obsessed with growing my hair in an effort to make him wish he hadn't left me!

AcornMystic
August 16th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Yes. Back in September of 2008 was a real tough time. I'd broken up with my then boyfriend in August, a month before. He was my first love and I'd given him all of me. I hadn't really considered us broken up.. just taking a break. We had decided to take a break, but I think eventually we really had broken up based on old conversations about the issue with others and I just didn't want it to really be over being in the emotional state that I was... Well anyway... I dyed my hair red and cut an elevated bob into it by myself with an electric shaver. One of THE best hair cuts I have EVER had. My avatar is in fact a picture from a photo shoot I did with my sister of it. I was hurting soo flipping bad during that time, but I was able to flaunt the changes I made in pictures and I got noticed for it around town too. The weight that was lifted off me too was euphoric. Thanks to the dumb-bum for being the cause for inspiration of such awesome pics of me. ^.^

kiezel
August 16th, 2012, 11:18 PM
I lost 18 inches.

Two times.

Because I didn't feel safe being feminine.

I'm never doing that again. I've finally decided on what I want to be like, and nobody's going to stop me. I'm going for tailbone, and I'll get there quickly, because my hair grows fast. ^^

It's a constant source of pain though, my hair. I feel like I need to grow it out to feel whole again, tbh.

kiezel
August 16th, 2012, 11:20 PM
I think your hair looks awfully cute in your picture. :) But your eyes, they have pain in them.

silkreel
August 17th, 2012, 11:49 PM
My best friend did this ALL the time. She was an emotional cutter.

Amygirl8
August 18th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I've never been in a relationship yet, but I doubt I'd do anything drastic because a) I'm too young to get into a serious relationship and b) I LOVE my long hair.

haha :o

RubyTuesday
August 26th, 2012, 04:33 AM
I separated from my husband a year ago. When we separated I had BSL blonde hair.
Now I have short reddy brown hair.

I started off with a blonde pixie and dyed it recently. The pixie is growing out and I am going to grow it long again. VERY long.

I suppose it feels like shedding a skin or a metamorphosis. That part of your life has gone and you need to mark it in some way. This is the new you and the start of a new chapter etc etc.

I much prefer long hair on me and really only cut mine because of bad damage, but I think subconsciously I needed to look different on the outside as I felt different on the inside.

Amateur psychology.... ;)

queenovnight
July 23rd, 2014, 06:13 PM
Yep! Bleached and dyed my hair to 'prove a point.' Wanted to show him that he couldn't control me and what I do with my hair xD Point was made, but my hair looked awful.

MissMay
August 9th, 2014, 09:18 AM
I did this a couple of months ago over a guy that wasn't worth my time and certainly not my hair! Went from waist to shortest layers at shoulder, I'm so annoyed at myself! In a weird way it did kind of help me get over him though, made me less sad and more ... Angry? Not that that's a particularly healthy emotion either 😕

dellad
August 9th, 2014, 10:02 AM
I've had a drastic haircut after almost every breakup, not always right away, but within a few months. My FTL hair serves as evidence that DH has been with me for the past 8 years.

Johannah
August 9th, 2014, 10:45 AM
I've never abused myself or my hair after a break up. The guys were simply not worth any self loathing behavior.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Verdandi
August 12th, 2014, 07:32 AM
I chopped mine off after a horrible relationship years ago that ended with me filing a police report against him. He really liked my hair (BSL, bangs, dyed vibrant red) so it had to go, to give me some kind of closure. I got a gorgeous bob with bangs and a much less vibrant red colour and I actually loved it! When I'm finished with this growing out thing, I'm cutting right back to that bob :)

Firefox7275
August 12th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Nope but I have started paying more attention to my beauty regime, lost weight and bought new clothes. Part of that was having more time on my hands. Next time the ex sees you they are like "damn I let her go".

Nadine <3
August 12th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Eh, I've only been in one serious relationship before. We didn't break up, he went to jail. I never cut my hair because I didn't pay attention to it at all. I stuck it under a hat a neglected it. I did other much worse self destructive things...now that I've resigned myself to waiting for him to get his crap together I'm growing it. He loves long hair, and so do I.

RainbowBowser
August 12th, 2014, 11:42 AM
I guess its only my first "real" relationship that set me off? I chopped shorter layers into my almost-bsl-but-longer-than-apl hair. Even then, I wanted to do that beforehand. Since then my hair hasnt been involved with my relationships.

SkyChild
August 12th, 2014, 01:03 PM
One of my friends actually does this as part of a break-up ritual type thing as she can't stand the thought of a new boyfriend stroking the same hair as her ex.
I get the compulsion to cut and dye my hair monthly, but especially after break-ups.

Quixii
August 12th, 2014, 06:48 PM
After my breakup my hair was in a messy bun for a few days. But that's all. I didn't have any desires to be self-destructive or get rid of something I love. :shrug: I did get a piercing I'd been considering for 8 years and I knew he wasn't a huge fan of, about 1-2 months later.