PDA

View Full Version : Another new updo?

Nevermore
August 6th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Tonight I was thinking about how I could keep my collarbone length growing out bangs tightly secured in an updo with a minimumal use of the elastics I prefer for wearing outside the house. While I don't think they're bad elastics, I do think my daily ponytailing before braiding and bunning is damaging.

So anyway, I was playing around and came up with this:

Take half the hair (ear to ear) and make a cinnabun, secure with hairstick with or without pins, whichever you like.

Take remaining hair, part vertically down the center, braid or twist (twist as for the beginning of a standard cinnabun) if you like and cross at nape.

At this point, the hair from the left side is on the right and vice versa.

Bring one side up, still crossed over the other and drape over the top of your cinnabun, do the same with the other side. At this point, the hair on the left side is hanging down on the right side and vice versa. Pin as needed if you want to let the ends dangle on either side of the bun (these could be left loose, curled, braided or anything else you want) OR continue this until no more hair remains, pin as needed.

If ya'll want paint instructions, I'll get right on that.

AprilElf
August 6th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I can understand those instructions perfectly. It sounds like a very nice updo for your length!
A picture of it on you would be awesome, of course ... ;)

Shanarana
August 7th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I also can understand your directions very well and it sounds very pretty. I may give that one a go. :)

Elainehali
August 7th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Good directions, but I second the pic idea. :p

NorthernDancer
August 7th, 2008, 08:49 AM
It took a second read for me to get it, but now I got it! That sounds pretty! I'd love to see a pic....

dorothea-brooke
August 7th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I must be the only visually challenged one here :rolleyes:, cause I am having trouble picturing the final result! :blushing:

Pretty please may we have a picture? It sounds really intriguing! :flower:

plainjanegirl
August 7th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I would also like to see a pic. I am lost! Sorry visual learner here.

Sherri
August 7th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Yes, we want the paint by numbers version thanks. lol Very creative sounds interesting please post pic.

Nevermore
August 7th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I'll take a picture of the style on me when I get time, but I just finished the paint instructions and they'll be up soon.

Nevermore
August 7th, 2008, 01:47 PM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/happynightmares/Image3.gif?t=1218137993

The purple semi-spiral thing is my symbolic cinnabun, the colors are just for ease of determining which what goes where, the blue line thru the cinnabun is the stick, red lines indicate parts.

Number six shows what you get if you stop at this step: Bring one side up, still crossed over the other and drape over the top of your cinnabun, do the same with the other side. At this point, the hair on the left side is hanging down on the right side and vice versa. Pin as needed if you want to let the ends dangle on either side of the bun (these could be left loose, curled, braided or anything else you want).

If you continue, as in the other option (OR continue this until no more hair remains, pin as needed.), your cinnabun will have braids/twisted hair around it.

I hope these make sense to everyone!

Calanthe
August 7th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks a lot. I'll try this at the weekend. Sounds like the perfect solution for my annoying bangs which get caught constantly. And it sounds easy enough, that even I should manage to style it...;)

Sofoulee
August 7th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Haha! I L.O.V.E. the paint instructions! You even color-coded the different sides!! It does look pretty though!

heidihug
August 8th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks, Nevermore, you inspired me to try this style. However, since my hair is classic length, I could not leave my braid ends hanging out, so I continued to wrap them around the little cinnabun. Here are pics:

This first one is more indicative of my hair's actual color, and you can see how the cute little cinnabun peeks out of the middle of the wrapped braids:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=611&pictureid=18524

Closeup of the back and how the braids wrap around, below. Sorry for the messy nape hairs, it's Friday and I was in a bit of a hurry this morning:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=611&pictureid=18525

dorothea-brooke
August 8th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks for those instructions -- they're adorable!

I can definitely picture it now.... :grin:

NurseMama
August 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I love the paint instructions! That makes it easy enough for even me to understand!

Heidihug, your pictures are beautiful. This updo looks beautiful with the braids. It looks much more complicated than it is!

Periwinkle
August 9th, 2008, 02:09 PM
This sounds like something I posted about a while ago: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5541

FrannyG
August 9th, 2008, 02:16 PM
That's a nice style and your instructions are adorable, Nevermore! Periwinkle, this style did remind me of the style you described in your thread.

Nevermore
August 9th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I'm glad everyone liked my instructions!

Heidihug: That's so much better than mine looked when I did it, thanks for posting.

Periwinkle: I hadn't seen your post before. Would you like me to somehow alter the title/first post of this thread or would you like to name it or something else? I definitely wasn't trying to steal your updo, so please let me know what you'd like me to do.