PDA

View Full Version : Is the sock bun a good protective style?

HylianGirl
August 14th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Hello, felow LHCs!

I have finnaly gotten the hang of the proper sock bun, and I loved it! Normally when I bun my hair the bun appears so small, but with the sock bun, it seems like a decent bun ^-^ I wore it yesterday and got complimented on it =) But I wonder if it would cause damage if worn often, because of the elastic band, and maybe the friction of rolling the hair arround the sock... what do you guys think?

Kyla
August 14th, 2012, 11:12 AM
It can cause damage definitely, but any hair style can if kept it long enough every single day. Some things you can do to prevent damage would be to switch up the style often (various braids, other buns, etc) be careful when putting it up and taking it down, and use hair safe elastics. I (and many other members) use cut up strips but tights/pantyhose as hair bands, for they are a little more gentle.

HylianGirl
August 14th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks fot the tips! I hadn't heard of the strips from pantyhose one, I normally use those elastics without the metal part, but those strips seem more gentle indeed, thanks again!

BambooBeauty
August 14th, 2012, 11:19 PM
i love wearing my hair in a sock bun. I dont put my hair in a hair band though, i just gather my hair up in a pony and dont tie it off then work from there. I wear my hair in a sock bun to protect my ends.

hototogisu
August 14th, 2012, 11:55 PM
I find sock buns give me horribly bent ends, so I'd say no, but that's just in my experience.

HylianGirl
August 15th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks guys! Aw, what a shame hototogisu, my ends normally look great with the sock bun, they come out with gorgeous curls ^-^

Rufflebutt
August 15th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Well, if you wear your hair the same way all of the time, it will eventually start to damage your hair. Just make sure to mix it up sometimes and you're fine.

HylianGirl
August 15th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I actually normally wear braids, 'cause I love them, nad don't really wear buns, 'cause they look kinda small, but I concerned for the elastic tie always being at the end of my braids... Oh, well, gotta start being more creative ^-^

jacqueline101
October 23rd, 2012, 09:40 PM
If you're getting damage from it I'd suggest switching styles.

gthlvrmx
October 23rd, 2012, 11:12 PM
i personally dont use elastics anymore because of the damage they caused me throughout high school. everday for a year or a year and a half, i had a pony tail in the same spot. maybe it was due to being done everday the same way, but i got damage from it! its still growing out! my hair was just bent funny where the elastic was and that stayed for over a year with me, it would never leave. it was one of the biggest things that started making me lose my curls actually. i read somewhere here that elastics are not as great because of the heat? something about from them that they get because of what its made of and that could damage hair over a long time. maybe its true, i dont know, but i personally wont go back to hairties....maybe once a year or something like a small poly something one, the ones that are supposedly safer, but not for long and most likely i will take it off during the day and bun my hair to prevent further damage.

sock buns are pretty but i dont like the hair tie. and the material used to make the bun(the foam) looks like it could potentially cause some more damage than i would like. some people make rats out of their own shed hair actually so that they could do sock buns with them :) it blends right it and seems like a better option than foam :p at least for me.

Milui Elenath
October 25th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Just to clarify you are meaning a sock bun and not the 'fully rolled' sock bun?

I think the sock bun can be undamaging but like others have said the two things to watch for are the elastic used over the hair and donut. I don't think you could do better than a silk scrunchie or even a silk ribbon (if you can manage to tie it around) ensure it's not too tight. Also personally I prefer to make my own donuts with a rolled sock and then a cover in a satin fabric (brown) I used stocking material previously but my hair always static'd to it and pulled when getting it out. There is no reason for ends to be bent in a sock bun since they are either wrapped around the donut or left in a pony.

In a fully rolled sock bun I think damage can be more likely due to bending not just the official ends but also the ends of growing hairs along the way. I also find without careful unrolling hair can tangle and be rerolled and take quite some time to get out - :shudder: the memories.

However there is no need for an elastic of any kind with a fully rolled sock bun (with enough practice).

proo
October 29th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Sometimes the sock material itself seems to dry out my ends.

Pumpkin3826
December 22nd, 2016, 11:01 AM
I actually use a scrunchie! :cool: I recently transitioned away from elastics unless I do a French braid then I use little baby elastics to secure the ends. Scrunchies come in all different colors now and are actually cute when you get to match them with your outfit. I just make sure I use a black or brown one when doing a sock bun so I don't have a hot pink scrunchie peaking out any where through my sock bun!