PDA

View Full Version : Every 7 years!?!

MissPetite2010
August 14th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Hi, not sure if this is true, but I have heard hair or texture can change every 7 years. Also, taste buds. Their may have been a food that you liked or didn't like, and then 7 years later, changes. It's happened to me food wise, but hair not soo much. Although I was told by a beautician of ours when I was little that my hair was changing? That was before my hair got wavy. All I had to do was scrunch it a bit, and it would curl a bit.

Kyla
August 14th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Hair type can change throughout one's life due to different hormones, I believe. People often experience texture changes during their childhood and teens especially. About taste buds, I"m pretty sure that's not true. I'm just remembering from high school Anatomy class, but I think taste buds have a much shorter life span, and a dislike for certain foods is determined by the brain rather than the buds.

My father always says that every call in the body is replaced by seven years time, but I don't know if that's true. I think it's just a popular myth, I can't find any scientific resources for any of these claims.

Rufflebutt
August 14th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Not exactly every seven years. But hair texture can change throughout your life. When I was a toddler, I had ringlets. But ever since then my hair has had very little if any wave.

My mother's hair was pin-straight and blonde until she had me. Now it's chocolate brown and wavy. Hormones are weird things, yaknow?

spookyghost
August 14th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Well my hair sucks right now-so maybe!:D

akilina
August 14th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Yes I am just praying to whatever that when my hair changes, its for the GOOD hahah.
My mom sounds like she used to have hair EXACTLY like mine, and would complain about the same things I do, but now her hair is really thick and strong and grows sooo long if she lets it

3azza
August 14th, 2012, 11:04 AM
The hair texture has to do with how we treat it as well. I know I have "curly hair" DNA but have not been curly all my life. When my mother handled it, she treated it as she does with her straight/wavy hair and that killed the curl until i took charge of it and discovered the curly method. Now that it has grown beyond TBL and i want it tangle free, it looks less curly due to more combing and more henna, so....

Vampyria
August 14th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I don't think that is true. My hair type changed due to hormonal changes. As a child I had straight fine hair, when puberty started I got coarse curly hair, and after puberty it got wavy. It looked wavier and frizzier when I dyed it and used heat, though.

MissPetite2010
August 14th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Ok Ty. :) Just always wondered about it. If my hair does change, wonder if it'll be less thick. I've got thick hair, that can be a pain sometimes. Never tried a thin-out. Probably won't do it. Scared of how my hair will handle it. Chicken I guess. Lol anyway thanks again for info. Maybe environment, plays a roll, and genetics as well. :)

HylianGirl
August 14th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I'd say, like other here, that hair changes curing lifetime, and probably due to hormonal changes. My hair also changed when I hit puberty (it used to be 1a) and my mom said her hair got straighter when she got pregnant.

Kyla
August 14th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Ok Ty. :) Just always wondered about it. If my hair does change, wonder if it'll be less thick. I've got thick hair, that can be a pain sometimes. Never tried a thin-out. Probably won't do it. Scared of how my hair will handle it. Chicken I guess. Lol anyway thanks again for info. Maybe environment, plays a roll, and genetics as well. :)

About your thick hair, sheds often happen at certain points in your life (disease, pregnancy, menopause, etc.). They are definitely not guaranteed to happen, but it's possible that your hair could thin out a bit as time goes on.

MissPetite2010
August 14th, 2012, 12:02 PM
About your thick hair, sheds often happen at certain points in your life (disease, pregnancy, menopause, etc.). They are definitely not guaranteed to happen, but it's possible that your hair could thin out a bit as time goes on.

Thank you for the info. :) My hair tends to shed alot. Unless it may seem like alot to me. Had a thyroid test, and everything is fine. So, I guess it's a normal thing for me. My parents both have thick hair, my mom's hair thinned out later. The mnt shampoo and conditioner is awesome. Helped tremendously! :)

Ravenwind
August 14th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I would believe that. When I was little I had strawberry blonde hair and it was very curly. As I got older my hair color got darker and straighter. As for food I think it changes too. Something you might not like when you're younger can turn into something you'll love when as you get older.

spidermom
August 14th, 2012, 12:10 PM
It's not as precise as every 7 years, but things change; that's true enough.
For the past 3 weeks, my glasses have seemed too strong, and I finally got in to the eye clinic today. Sure enough, they're too strong. My eyes have changed to the point of every prescription they've got on record (about 8 years' worth) are too strong for me.

My favorite color has also changed. Life-long orange lover, but now I'm enthralled with shades of turquoise, aqua, and sea green.

MissPetite2010
August 14th, 2012, 12:14 PM

I would believe that. When I was little I had strawberry blonde hair and it was very curly. As I got older my hair color got darker and straighter. As for food I think it changes too. Something you might not like when you're younger can turn into something you'll love when as you get older.

Yeah. As for food, loved mushrooms when I was little. Can't eat them now. Hated greenbeans, but love them now, especially cooked with tomatoes or diced tomatoes. Same goes for watermelon. Used to hate it, but love it now. Peas on the otherhand, til this day, still can't stand them. Sometimes I wish was straighter. Don't like using flat iron that much. Only sometimes.

dwell_in_safety
August 14th, 2012, 01:13 PM
My mother lost thickness permanently after pregnancy with me (I am her oldest of five). Her hair also changed in texture from generally wavy to 1b.

jacqueline101
August 14th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I think the 7years is a myth in reality your hair changes due to hormones.

Dang3rousB3auty
August 14th, 2012, 02:38 PM
if that was true...my hair should have changed recently..so maybe that's why my hair sucks! haha but probably not..just damaged from dyeing it

Amber_Maiden
August 14th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Hair type can change throughout one's life due to different hormones, I believe. People often experience texture changes during their childhood and teens especially. About taste buds, I"m pretty sure that's not true. I'm just remembering from high school Anatomy class, but I think taste buds have a much shorter life span, and a dislike for certain foods is determined by the brain rather than the buds.

My father always says that every call in the body is replaced by seven years time, but I don't know if that's true. I think it's just a popular myth, I can't find any scientific resources for any of these claims.

I'm not sure if it's a myth. I'm pretty sure that most cells in your body have been replaced by every seven years. Think about it. Cells die, are shed, and are replaced. It makes sense.

Lostsoule77
August 14th, 2012, 03:36 PM
I also heard this body shifting every 7 years thing. I think it may have been from my mother who was a LPN. I know for sure that tastes and allergies shift throughout your life. Not so sure on hair. Mine did change during puberty from a 1b/c to what I have now. My sister also from the same to a 3a or so.

Of the Fae
August 14th, 2012, 03:43 PM
It sounds improbable. Since hair texture is genetically predetermined, I much rather think it has to do with other circumstances. For example: I had curls as a child. My hair was also thin, because I was still very little. As I grew older, I grew more hair, because of the multitude, it becomes straighter. Hair can also be straighter after chemical treatment. I lost many waves to chemical dyes in the past.
However, when I put it up, the little hairs on the front still curl.

lmfbs
August 14th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I'm not sure if it's a myth. I'm pretty sure that most cells in your body have been replaced by every seven years. Think about it. Cells die, are shed, and are replaced. It makes sense.

Exactly - if we consider an average terminal time might be considered to be 7 years, it's reasonable to conclude that hormonal changes over that period would mean that the hair that was replaced when your hair reached terminal could be of a different texture to the unshed hair.

As some people have pointed out, sometimes it happens to people when they're pregnant that they have straight hair before they get pregnant then their hair grows curly after baby arrives. Obviously, it will take a while to notice the change as it takes time for hair to be shed and replaced - hence where the 7 year myth comes in.

Nellon
August 14th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I know for a fact hair texture can change, a friend had straightish hair (little wavy perhaps), now after her menopause she looks like a poodle! (A cute poodle that is, I love her curls). And it all depends on hormones, at least that's what she said :) It looks so nice now, I hope my hair gets curly too later on!

Rufflebutt
August 15th, 2012, 06:11 AM
It sounds improbable. Since hair texture is genetically predetermined, I much rather think it has to do with other circumstances. For example: I had curls as a child. My hair was also thin, because I was still very little. As I grew older, I grew more hair, because of the multitude, it becomes straighter. Hair can also be straighter after chemical treatment. I lost many waves to chemical dyes in the past.
However, when I put it up, the little hairs on the front still curl. Genetics play a role in your hair color, but hair color is something that can shift. Same with hair texture. I used to have bright red hair with ringlets as a toddler. My hair is not anywhere near red now, nor does it form ringlets.

Kyla
August 15th, 2012, 06:16 AM

I know, I'm just saying that it sounds unlikely considering multiple parts of the body are cited as changing every seven years, and I can't find any good resources on it (keep in mind I also haven't looked that hard :p ) I think it's at least based in truth though.