PDA

View Full Version : What "bad" things do you mind or not mind doing to your hair?

kidari
August 14th, 2012, 01:47 AM
Just curious how everyone feels about this. I think that more frequent washing and dying my hair darker with regular chemical dyes are the two things that I do to my hair that are "bad" but I don't mind doing at all. I have modified my usual ways by stretching washes to every other day instead of daily and alternating a CO or WO wash or using an alternative rinse instead of shampoo as well. I also do a roots-only touch up on my dye and every third month or so I will do a heavy coconut oiling before I dye the length.

However, I do have certain things now that I cringe at the thought of ever doing to my hair anymore. I don't like to let any styling product laden with alcohol touch my hair such as traditional hairsprays. I never ever tease/rat/backcomb it anymore ever. Most importantly, I don't ever lighten my hair or let a curling iron or flat iron or heated rollers touch it.

I know some people will be okay with blow drying but they're not okay with chemical dyes or some kind of unique combination. I was curious to read what others' concerns lie and where they are more carefree about when it comes to their hair? Please share!

sunshine-locks
August 14th, 2012, 01:56 AM
I don't mind using my blowdryer because it has a 'warm' setting that's a comfortable temperature and doesn't get too hot, although I air dry when possible.

I also don't mind dying my hair darker on occasion, not too often of course (although I don't anymore) but I'd definately think hard before bleaching my hair as I feel it's more damaging :P

DarkCurls
August 14th, 2012, 01:57 AM
I mind doing anything to my hair. ^^ Brushing, combing, heat-styling, washing more than twice a week, looking at the shampoo bottle, wearing it down... Dying is definitely pretty high up on the list. LHC has given me a conscience. But I try to just ignore it. :D

juliaxena
August 14th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Blowdrying. I don't believe it is damaging actually. Never in my life have I ever encountered any damage from it. I can't imagine who in their right mind would actually hold the thing near enough to their hair to be damaging and tolerate it being very hot plus there is cool setting on almost every blowdryer out there these days. How people can compare it to irons is beyond my comprehension.

dollface
August 14th, 2012, 02:10 AM
I used to bleach my hair to dye it crazy colors, but at the moment I'm just letting the roots go and keeping the bleached parts a crazy color. Right now my hair is mostly green with dark brown roots and I love it. I really like products but I don't use hairspray or do anything else damaging other than my shameful bleaching past.

julliams
August 14th, 2012, 02:29 AM
I brush my hair even though it is often said that people with wavy/curly hair should never do that. I can't stand the idea of having tangles in my hair and combing and brushing takes care of this as well as takes care of my scalp. I didn't brush for years and I also had a very itchy scalp. Since finding LHC and updating my haircare, I no longer have an itchy scalp and I wonder if brushing has assisted with this.

I use heat in a different way - I wait until my hair is dry, put some Nightblooming Panacea on it and then I put it in four flexi rollers, heat up my heat cap and put it over my head until it cools. This give me great bit curls that last for days. I can't see how this heat is any different to using a hairdryer except that it's not blowing the hair at it. My hair only looks better afterwards - it's smooth and soft and sits perfectly. So I don't know if this is "damaging" since I am using heat but it works for me.

minxe
August 14th, 2012, 02:38 AM
I don't mind using a blow dryer, because I only ever use it on the cold setting. I also don't mind using my rollers, because they use steam. They can't be that bad, right? :D

Five of Five
August 14th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Generally speaking, I follow most LHC guidelines ;). However, I think that it's much better to moderate your regular habits than to swear off everything that could be damaging, forever.

I am fine with occasional blow-drying, wearing it down, semi-frequent washes and use of veggie dyes.

Aside from regular flat-ironing, blow-drying, etc., I would never bleach or perm.

Neneka
August 14th, 2012, 03:42 AM
I don't mind using hair powder or mousse 1-5 times in a year and I don't mind sleeping on a cotton pillow case. :D I am so evil...

AutumnLocks
August 14th, 2012, 03:51 AM
I'm ok with brushing and combing my hair. I am ok with removing tankles when it is wet. I use a wide toothed comb for that. I'm ok with streatching washes a bit. I can usually stretch to once a week washes. I'm ok with washing my hair 2 to 3 times a week if need be. I'm ok with using "cones". My hair tolerates it well. I'm ok with going to bed with my hair wet or better yet pretty damp.

joflakes
August 14th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Fine with most things, just in moderation. I follow a 80% good 20% bad policy! Haha. That means I do occasionally flat iron, hair dry, curl...but mostly I leave it well alone.

LadyCelestina
August 14th, 2012, 04:19 AM
I'm okay with most of the "bad" things,except for flat ironing.Try touching a flat iron with bare hands and then tell me how it's not damaging at all.

Blowdryers,however,are okay with me.As someone above said,I rarely see people holding them close enought to hair to cause any significant damage.

One of the things I DO mind,but still do it anyway,is sleeping on cotton pillowcase.Silk or satin just feel strange when falling asleep.I'm weird

lmfbs
August 14th, 2012, 04:35 AM
I don't blowdry, flat iron, backcomb (frankly, I had no idea it was so popular!), use sulfates or wear my hair down often.

I don't ever feel like I'm holding myself back, other than flat ironing, it wasn't really stuff I did that often before I started growing.

Dars
August 14th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Shampooing my hair regularly with sulphates and undiluted! :eyebrows:

pink.sara
August 14th, 2012, 04:52 AM
I pretty much do all the things generally agreed as bad on the LHC. :demon:

I bleach, dye, strip to change colours often, shampoo...sometimes daily. Use cones, a blowfrier weekly straighteners occasionally. Wear it down daily, or stick it in a ponytail. Sleep on a cotton pillowcase.

There are probably more! And I'm remorseless as it's all about enjoying my hair for me which I wouldn't do nearly as much if it were it's natural colour and up in a bun all the time.

I'm a bad LHC'r :D

EtherealDoll
August 14th, 2012, 04:55 AM
I'm okay with chemical dyes, wearing hair down, sulphates, semi-okay with cones, blowdrying the roots in winter, and occasional once or twice a year flat iron/curling.
I never use any hair styling products, I'm very against them.

MonaMayfair
August 14th, 2012, 05:37 AM
The only thing I wouldn't do to my hair is backcomb (I've never done this in my life, the idea makes me cringe because my hair's always been prone to tangling easily)

In general the more I read about how bad/unhealthy/immoral/illegal anything is, the more I'm interested in doing it...

sloth
August 14th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Wait, what's wrong with ponytails?

I wear my hair down all the time. Ponytails or pigtails for running/weight lifting. I don't use any heat on my hair, or 'cones, sulfates, or anything like that. I do use a cotton pillowcase, although I kind of want to get a silk one.

SilverDoe
August 14th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Wait, what's wrong with ponytails?

I wear my hair down all the time. Ponytails or pigtails for running/weight lifting. I don't use any heat on my hair, or 'cones, sulfates, or anything like that. I do use a cotton pillowcase, although I kind of want to get a silk one.

Ponytails cause mechanical damage if worn regularly, they put pressure & rub the same spot.
Not to mention when you pull the hair to re-tighten it & the band slides backwards over the cuticle. The especially damaging ones are those with a metal piece, or thin rubber bands.

I currently wear blax snag free hair elastics, scrunchies or a flexi8 for low ponytails/braids, but still worry because of damage in the past. They seem to work well though.

I don't use chemical dyes anymore, and it's now after 8 years of black dye that I realize how damaging it really was. I would feel extremely guilty going back to that damage.
I do use gentle brushes without guilt, but feel guilty when braiding wet hair.

JoieBruce
August 14th, 2012, 07:35 AM
I shampoo and condition most days, and wear a ponytail now and then. And I love my hairbrush.

I very rarely heat style. I never dye my hair. I recently switched to cone free. The last time I used hairspray was on my wedding day.

Tisiloves
August 14th, 2012, 07:38 AM
I'm generally pretty good, I do co-wash with straight up dimethicone, but that doesn't seem to give me much build up :shrug:

LadyLongLocks
August 14th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Blowdrying. I don't believe it is damaging actually. Never in my life have I ever encountered any damage from it. I can't imagine who in their right mind would actually hold the thing near enough to their hair to be damaging and tolerate it being very hot plus there is cool setting on almost every blowdryer out there these days. How people can compare it to irons is beyond my comprehension.

Exactly! I only use mine on warm and cool and have for years. People still call it a "blow fryer". Use one with common sense and its fine.

I no longer use the HOT setting, but it comes in handy for warming up your hair when you have deep conditioner in when I am too lazy to use a heat cap!

EndlessSunshine
August 14th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I went sulfate free, I don't blow fry except on cool, I try to avoid cones as much as possible, I oil my hair, detangle with a wide tooth comb...but I sleep on a cotton pillowcase...

FrannyG
August 14th, 2012, 08:03 AM
My hair is dyed and I touch up the roots every two months or so. I don't feel the least bit guilty about it and I never will.

It's pretty much the only thing that I do that is potentially damaging to my hair, and because I take good care of my hair in other ways, I really have no discernible damage--not even split ends.

swearnsue
August 14th, 2012, 08:34 AM
I don't stretch washes, I shampoo every other day.

einna
August 14th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I practice a lot of the LHC advice.
However, I like to wear my hair down and in half ups sometimes, and I do rush my combing sessions a bit (trying to kick that habit). I also dont always protect my canopy from the sun (unless spending hours outdoors), because I so love the sunstreaks I get.
I could use a blowdrier on cold or warm setting in the coldest winter months. I probably will do that this winter, since my hair is now so long (well, almost BSL), that it takes a long time to dry even in summer.

einna
August 14th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I practice a lot of the LHC advice.
However, I like to wear my hair down and in half ups sometimes, and I do rush my combing sessions a bit (trying to kick that habit). I also dont always protect my canopy from the sun (unless spending hours outdoors), because I so love the sunstreaks I get.
I could use a blowdrier on cold or warm setting in the coldest winter months. I probably will do that this winter, since my hair is now so long (well, almost BSL), that it takes a long time to dry even in summer.

HairCareJunkie
August 14th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Twice a week I use my CHI Iron :demon: and turn my frizzy mane in sleek, smooth and shiny hair. I know it's damaging ( 200°C) but I can't live without it. I tried to be heat free and I never felt worser (= uglier) than during those 3 months.

...Oh, and I don't sleep on a silk/satin pillowcase...

That's it.

Otherwise I'm quite a good LHC'er:
No more chemicals (Bleach free for over a year!) :applause
Less cones, combing my hair with a wooden comb or plastic wide tooth comb with no seems, using a BBB or tangle teaser, no more ripping through wet hair, letting it air dry ...

sloth
August 14th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Ponytails cause mechanical damage if worn regularly, they put pressure & rub the same spot.
Not to mention when you pull the hair to re-tighten it & the band slides backwards over the cuticle. The especially damaging ones are those with a metal piece, or thin rubber bands.

I currently wear blax snag free hair elastics, scrunchies or a flexi8 for low ponytails/braids, but still worry because of damage in the past. They seem to work well though.

I don't use chemical dyes anymore, and it's now after 8 years of black dye that I realize how damaging it really was. I would feel extremely guilty going back to that damage.
I do use gentle brushes without guilt, but feel guilty when braiding wet hair.

Ah, okay. I never do the "tightening" thing, and always use metal-less hand bands. Since my hair is too short to use hair sticks and the like, I suppose this will have to do for now.

Thank you for the explanation!

Yuzaeul
August 14th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Straightening my hair. Because my hair is at shoulder length I get horrible flicks, so to me it's better to straighten my hair than it is to cut it because of my silly flicks! I just make sure I do everything possible to at least minimise the damage I do in the process. :)

Thenolegirl
August 14th, 2012, 09:18 AM
I don't mind using hot rollers for very important/special occasions - which is very rare. The curls I get are out of this world - so worth it. I wear my hair down in public often because I just feel pretty with it down or in a half-up. My face is so round without it down around my face.

Going to get bangs soon and face-framing layers to help me wear more protective updos in public. It's something I know that I'll have to style often with a hotair brush and I don't mind. =) Bangs can be trimmed often!

I can't stand to backcomb my hair anymore. Makes me cringe at the thought! :P I use coconut oil, smooth seamless comb, rarely use a brush, and try to keep my hair in an updo when at home and working out. I also went sulfate-free/cone free 90% of the time and also practice stretched washes with CO. The blowdryer is rarely used and only on cool setting - no heat. I will NEVER use a flatiron, curling iron, or hot air brush on my length ever again. The damage - oh the damage! :mad:

Hollyfire3
August 14th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I'm pretty bad to my hair I think....I use curl cream and mousse at varying times sometimes together, I dye it darker every 3 months (roots only, pull through ends for 5 mins) and I brush my hair. I rarely blow dry and mostly air dry (2 times a year blow dry) but my weakness is hot rollers and this thing called a topstyler, I don't own hot rollers but I want a set SO badly, and I always try to replicate the results with the topstyler, its heat but its not alot so yeah....I really just want a surefire way to get beautiful frizz free soft waves instead of a curly frizzy mess.

HylianGirl
August 14th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I'm generally preety good with my hair ^-^

But... I comb it when it's wet (to keep my curls) and I sleep on a cotton pillowcase.... I also don't like the idea os streching washes, but I try to make the damage smaller by oiling it before washing and I don't use shampoo, I CO wash with cone-free conditioner each other day.... everyday sometimes when it's hot hehehe

AuburnAlight
August 14th, 2012, 12:09 PM
There's this one thing I do and it's brushing lightly the top hairs without detangling first. I do it only on the mornings when I have to get ready quickly, and it smoothes my hair quickly.

ravenreed
August 14th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I chemically dye, but I don't lift the color anymore. I might at some point, but I took a break from it to gain some length. I occasionally blow dry and occasionally use styling products. I still wear my hair down quite a bit, or up in a high pony. My hair texture is naturally tangly, so I don't do it as often as I would like. I have thought about getting some steam rollers, but the truth is that I am a fairly lazy hair styler. I can't imagine taking the time to roll my hair.

Amber_Maiden
August 14th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I don't mind using mainstream products on my hair. As long as it helps my dry hair, I'll use it.

xltorresx
August 14th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I think I will continue to color with commercial dye, I would prefer to henna but I need to do a bit more research on that. Does color fix work on henna if it doesn't turn out? I still blow-dry at the weekend on cold setting after letting my hair dry 70-80% on its own.

Dang3rousB3auty
August 14th, 2012, 02:24 PM
hmm I guess I sleep on a cotton pillow case, but besides that I knew a lot of the things on this site and have followed them for a couple years. I guess my worst habit was dying my hair, but I would have given it up if I had come to LHC or not, just because I want to see my virgin hair color so bad.

Maybe once it gets to the health I want I wouldn't mind doing "naughty" things to it every once in a while, but I can't say I am too much of a rebel :/

Lady Neeva
August 14th, 2012, 02:39 PM
I wished that I could actually do something with my hair. It's possible that hair can get damaged from lack of care.

HadessThera
August 14th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I'm pretty tough on my hair, but I'm getting better, I dye it every six weeks, sometimes a bit longer if my roots are't horrific, I'm avoiding heat styling at the moment but I do brush it out when it's wet and only blow-dry it for rare special occasions, however, everything "bad" I do, I make up for with treatments, vitamins and being kind to my hair :)

Raventresses
August 14th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I'm pretty awful I suppose. I blowdry and flatiron once a wk. If I let my hair air dry I have to use mousse to keep it from being a frizzy mess. I love 'cones. And I wear my hair down almost every day. I can't help it. My hair doesn't behave otherwise.

sunflower_daze
August 14th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I brush my hair with an old plastic Tupperware brush. I bought a BBB, but it's to soft. I just like how my old brush feels. I did buy a wooden wide tooth comb. Always use it after a wash and to get the tangles out before I brush. I hardly used heat before I found LHC so that's not a problem. But I do go to the salon and let her do her thing.

racrane
August 14th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I comb my hair gently when wet. I put it up right away after. That's probably not great but my hair doesn't seem to mind and it works well for me since I'm lazy.

lapushka
August 14th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Dyes? Not anymore. Had a few tragedies with those (from bad colors to a burnt scalp and chunks falling, chemically breaking off).

Blow drying? I don't mind. Like juliaxena, I don't get where the obsession over possible damage comes from. It's a tool, that, if you use it right, won't do damage at all. You cannot compare a blow dryer to a curling iron or straightener. If the temperature is tolerable to your skin, then it won't damage your hair. I firmly believe that. Plus, without a blow dryer, you're basically, well IMO, helpless. 8 hours drying time? Not for me, thankyouverymuch!

Pearly~91
August 14th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I have one of those evil :evil: plastic brushes with the nubs on the bristles. I feel bad, but I try to be careful and I just can't give up my plastic brush for a comb. Can't do it. :o

battles
August 14th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I wash my hair with hot water, and I refuse to do otherwise.

Things I should change, though..
Need a silk pillowcase.
Need to stop brushing.
Need to deep condition more.

Silken
August 14th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I do not heat style, ever. However, I get my hair dyed every month. Sometimes I go lighter so I get the dark bleached out before the new color is put in. But since I baby my hair in every other aspect, there are no ill effects from the bleachings and the dyes: no dry ends, no split ends.

embee
August 14th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I brush my hair every day - no intention of changing.
I use a cotton pillowcase, no intention of changing that either.
I make the same updo most days, quick, easy, not too tight, lasts all day.

brave
August 14th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I usually wash every day, I wear it down nearly always and I brush through it with a denman in the shower (coated in conditioner). I use probably more styling products than I should.

Natalia
August 14th, 2012, 08:50 PM
im guilty of wearing my hair in the same place with the same toy over an over... not so bad. i think my main bad habit is not being as gentle with combing as i should. my hair is never dry when i wake up so i usually skip combing the nape till i have a day when i can leave it down to dry but after a while i get sick of it and be more hasty than i should wanting to ge the shed hair and knots out.

Perididdle
August 14th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Blow dryer, occasionally. I also have a flat iron, though I don't use it regularly. It used to be a daily thing and my hair went MAD after five years of that. Now I've quit most heat, and when I flat iron it looks like silk, because it's not sad and damaged from daily use. Love it!

I brush my hair, too. Wet, even! I like the feel on my scalp and there's just no way to part my hair without a little help. I only do a few strokes to get things sorted and then I fingercomb.

owlathena
August 14th, 2012, 09:26 PM
I don't mind wearing it down all the time or sleeping with it down or letting it get super tangled. I just try to be gentle when I comb it out.

CurlyCap
August 14th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I refuse to sleep on a silk pillowcase or use a bonnet to sleep. It feels weird and I don't sleep well. My cotton is very soft, though, and I'm not usually after the "smoothness" people like with bonnets since I'm a curly.

I play with my hair constantly. One of the reasons I'm growing my hair back is that I missed playing with it. If I'm bored my hands are in my hair and psssshhh to mechanical damage.

I'll try anything once. And I'm willing to ignore LHC advice if I don't think my hair likes it. For example, my curly hair and scalp enjoy the occasional brushing, so I just do it carefully and worry about re-styling my hair later.

BelleLoupGarou
August 14th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Haha! Forgive me father for I have sinned...ALOT!! Its a shame what Ive done to my hair in the past and up until quite recently. I have very expensive hair torturing devices sitting underneath my bathroom counter right now that I have basically had to ban myself from if I want hair at all. As of right now Im saying no to heat and yes to the occasional root touch up. No bleach or peroxide or alcohol or my hair. Its crispy enough at the moment! Im big into the EVOO and ACV right now to conditon and remove excess build up. In fact for a while there I was using ACV in the bathtub everyday and my hair and skin were in heaven! And, my bathtub stayed super clean too lol! So yeah, no heat or harsh chemicals. My

SerinaDaith
August 14th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I had walked away from the dye three months before lhc and I am not looking back. After joining I accidentally "lost" all of my heat tools, blowdrying has always made my hair tangly and frizzy so I would then have to follow up with a straightner or curling iron which would make it smooth and lovely but takes way longer than I am willing to put up with. If anything I was only really using heat a couple of times a year so that was not hard to let go of. I am using a satin pillow case and actually love it. I have diluted my shampoo but it does have sulfates in it so I try to really stretch my washes and I do a light oil with coconut every day. My conditioner has cones so I am using it sparingly. I finger comb while it is wet and slick with conditioner. I do not comb or brush till the second day after my wash. I do scalp rubs rather than playing with my hair. Somehow even with this I am in my first short hair stall which has lasted about a month so far and I am sort of panicky about it. I also take prenatals (nursing) and flaxseed oil since fish equals allergic reactions like toung swelling and hives.

bratz81
August 15th, 2012, 01:11 AM
well I don't dye or bleach anymore, apart from henna and vegetable dyes. I don't heat style any more, not that I did much before. My hair is straight so I don't need to straighten, it looks better not blow-dried so I don't do that and if I want to curl it I use rollers instead of tongs which I actually find easier :)

I moved away from sulphates and wash my hair every other day instead of every day now, but this is not just because of hair health, I've other reasons too.

I do still wear my hair down a fair bit, and I play with it a lot. I probably don't comb as gently as I should either.

Uhlizubeth
August 15th, 2012, 01:22 AM
I never EVER: dye/color, blow dry, perm, straighten/curl, add products like hairspray
But I do...
comb very awful tangles out (very carefully!) When it's wet
stretch washes less than others, I can only skip 2-3 days before it's a dry nasty tangley mess
don't own a satin pillowcase anymore (my ear piercings pulled too many threads and ruined them)
and I also wear it down or in less protective updos since I don't own any cool hair devices like sticks and such

ChasingRainbows
August 15th, 2012, 01:42 AM
I don't really mind doing anything to my hair. xD I KNOW, I'm bad!! I do, however, try to use minimal heat (Which is a bit hard with my hair) and wash it less frequently!

MonaLisa
August 15th, 2012, 01:50 AM
I can blow-dry and flat-iron my face framing layers aka long bangs...they get cut often enough to take the damage, and it makes them look normal :)

redwoodfey
August 15th, 2012, 01:50 AM
I'm still learning a lot about all of the bad things I've done to my hair in the past. I used to bleach it to dye it crazy colors. I wash it every other day with a generic shampoo because I've yet to find a natural or expensive shampoo that I like. I haven't dyed my hair in about six months, but I usually dye it a dark chocolate brown because I love the color. My natural color is a lighter brown with red highlights, which is pretty and I'm going to learn to love it as much as dark hair so I can stop feeling guilty about destroying my hair with dye! I try very hard to keep it in a braid or bun, but sometimes I just let it hang loose. I always regret that when a big chunk is torn out.

Rufflebutt
August 15th, 2012, 06:42 AM
I used to straighten my hair EVERY day despite the fact that it's already straight. XP I just thought that the look of heat styled hair was "more polished". My poor ends are damaged greatly now. But I will be trimming them off slowly but surely.
And dye as well! I can't forget about the dye. No more dye with me.

Musiclover94_12
August 16th, 2012, 08:13 PM
I flat iron and blow dry my hair often, plus wash it everyday. But my hair is all natural, I never dyed it or got a perm, etc. so the damage is minimal, I am trying my best to stop.

ladylowtide
August 16th, 2012, 08:47 PM
ponytails. snap clips. headbands. finger combing while wet. warm showers... Lol I'm pretty good to my hair.

kiezel
August 16th, 2012, 09:13 PM
No heat, never used a blowdryer, and only used a straightener for a short while a few years ago. No heat at all now, aside from really hot showers, :P and aside from that, there's nothing really. I do sleep on towels sometimes...is that bad?

As for the good things, I oil, egg/honey, condition regularly, and use an ox-horn comb on my hair every day to massage the scalp.

One thing interesting I noticed back when I straightened, is that every time I showered after I did it, my hair would become more CURLY. Has anyone else experienced this? I found it exceedingly odd.

tambalina
August 16th, 2012, 09:29 PM
I shampoo undiluted, dye my hair every 8 - 12 weeks, wear ponytails, backcomb/tease, use hairspray, blow-dry occasionally, use bobby pins on a daily basis, and BRUSH my hair while it is still wet. My hair is rather resilient, though.

I don't flat iron my hair or use silicones, though. I like braiding my hair to keep it out of the way.

Everything in *moderation*!

KittyBird
August 17th, 2012, 02:18 AM
I like to wear my hair down occasionally, even when it's windy outside. And sometimes I go to sleep without braiding my hair. ;)
But aside from that, there aren't many "bad" things I do to my hair. No blowdrying, no combing, no ripping through tangles, no chemical dyes, etc.

DarkSky
August 17th, 2012, 06:06 AM
The "bad " things that I *don't* mind doing to my hair is flatiron it once or twice a month depending on how much I miss to see my hair straight. I use a blow dryer on my bangs every few days, use a curling wand to touch up a few unruly second or third day curls. I also wear my hair down most of the times.

The "bad" thing that I *do*mind doing is colouring or highlighting my hair to be lighter. That had caused me much grief and lasting damage over the many years that I use to do it. Thankfully the damage has grown out now.

Chamomile betty
August 17th, 2012, 06:29 AM
My DH bought me a curling iron from Sally's. Yep, on occasion I will use it on my hair. I'll admit it lol.

Carolyn
August 17th, 2012, 07:01 AM
I commit a lot of LHC sins and don't feel the least bit guilty about it. I refuse to stretch washes more than every other day. I have my hair colored in a salon to cover my silvers. I use a blow dryer, hot air round brush, and or flat iron at least once a week. I use styling products and don't care if they have alcohol or other "bad" ingredients. I use sulphate shampoo undiluted. I wear my hair down whenever I feel like it. I tease the crown for height with some styles. My hair has never been healthier. I am so over the "treat it like fine old lace" thing.

millyaulait
August 17th, 2012, 07:07 AM
I shampoo my bangs almost every day & blowfry them, and I chemically dye my entire head of hair every few months.

Lauram
August 17th, 2012, 07:21 AM
I probably brush it more than I should. I only use a tt or bbb...I love the feeling on my scalp. I've sworn off heat appliances for now but I'm sure at sone point I'll give in...and feel awful about it

earthnut
August 17th, 2012, 05:18 PM
"Bad" things I do: washing every day, hot showers, bobby pins and ponytail bands, wear my hair down, loose hair at night, never S&D, soft hold gel/mousse (I consider this "good" actually). I'm seriously considering giving myself highlights.

I used sulfates and cones for years, and I'm trying to avoid them right now, but I could see myself going back to them if I don't find a "good" routine that works for me.

"Good" things I do: No sulfates, no cones, no hard-hold gels, no heat, no dye, no blowdrying, no hairspray, no perms, no straightening, use oils, satin pillowcase, fingercomb only, careful handling when wet, self-trims.

millyaulait
August 17th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Oh, I forgot..

I use elastics for sleep updos sometimes.

My sticks and forks always fall out, so..... :\

LocustSpawning
August 17th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I brush when wet, wear my hair down often, wash every few days using sulphates and cones. Blowdry half the time, straighten on weekends. Ive never felt better about my hair and it feels like silk :)

mallorykay13
August 17th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I have given up heat almost completely, I wear it in updos almost every day, and wash it once or twice a week... But I still just use store-bought sulfate/cone shampoo and conditioner...

BrightEyes
August 17th, 2012, 09:45 PM
I highlight and low-light my hair. I love my hair this color so don't feel bad about it at all:)

sun-kissed
August 17th, 2012, 10:05 PM
I cannot bring myself to backcomb, ever. I tried to once, and boy was it a poorly attempted attempt! It didn't even do anything I brushed it back so little. :p

The only thing that I can think of as being "bad" that I do is use hairspray on the very rare occasions that I try to curl my hair. It makes my hair feel and look horrid afterwards, but if I didn't use it the curls would be gone within an hour.

LocustSpawning
August 18th, 2012, 02:39 AM
I have given up heat almost completely, I wear it in updos almost every day, and wash it once or twice a week... But I still just use store-bought sulfate/cone shampoo and conditioner...

Store bought products with sulphates and cones aren't evil, it all depends on your hair type and how it reacts. If your hair feels good with them, keep using them! :) sulphate free organic shampoos made my hair feel like hay. Right now I use a 99p shampoo from vo5 and my hair is lovely :)

Minerve
August 18th, 2012, 05:24 AM
I blowdry in winter (on "cold" setting) to avoid catching a cold, and still often comb while my hair is wet (even if the few waves I have usually tend to disappear when I do that).
But I don't backcomb anymore, nor do I use hairspray.
I seldom wear ponytails, and try to limit the use of elastics, but it is difficult : my hair is a bit on thick side, and not long enough yet for some of the hairstyles I have discovered here (so I cheat... :rolleyes:).

BrownEyedBeauty
August 18th, 2012, 06:30 AM
I will purposely leave my hair down on hot summer days so that it gets lighter with sun exposure. I like the golden highlights the sun gives my hair.

rapunzhell13
August 18th, 2012, 08:10 AM
I'm happy to wash as often as I feel is necessary and use regular ol' supermarket products if I feel like it.

I do try to avoid heat styling and colouring, but I do slip up occasionally and try not to beat myself up over it.

Definitely no bleaching!!

hs_atreides
August 18th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I do it all, occasionally. CHemical dyes, bleaching, heat styling, cotton pillows...but, I spread out the styling and dyeing as much as I can. I am gentle about combing and put up my hair more often than leaving it down. I guess it's all about learning your hair and not pushing it too much.

mallorykay13
August 18th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Store bought products with sulphates and cones aren't evil, it all depends on your hair type and how it reacts. If your hair feels good with them, keep using them! :) sulphate free organic shampoos made my hair feel like hay. Right now I use a 99p shampoo from vo5 and my hair is lovely :)

Thanks! My hair reacts really well to them, it feels soft and lovely. I've found a shampoo and conditioner that I love.

mallorykay13
August 18th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I also tend to rip through my hair with my TT..... I have little patience for detangling.

domisimone
August 18th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I sometimes dry-detangle, though I don't know if that's bad or not. I blowout my hair to make some styles easier or sit under a hooded dryer if I do my hair without leaving enough time to air dry before bed.

palaeoqueen
August 19th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I will purposely leave my hair down on hot summer days so that it gets lighter with sun exposure. I like the golden highlights the sun gives my hair.

Same here. My hair lightens in the sun very easily but we get so little sun here I do feel the need to make the most of it in the hopes of some nice natural lightening down the length over the years.

InTheCity
August 19th, 2012, 07:40 PM
I'm okay with a flat iron once in a while. I don't have a lot of hair so if I let it dry a certain way, it only takes a few strokes per side of my head the next morning to get it to look good. I do it 2-4 times a month and don't see much damage from it.

MrsGuther
August 19th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I box dye my hair every few months. I also use hairspray regularly, and bobby pins. :) I really don't feel guilty about it either. I figure if I'm gonna have long hair I might as well enjoy it!!

heyshortyhey
August 19th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Flat ironing. I know, I can just see the majority of you all cringing. When I flat iron, however, I use coney-slicking products, and keep the heat on low. Also, since my hair is very coarse, I generally stretch my washing days and can wear it straight for 3-5 days. Sometimes when I pin it up at night, on the third night, I get this cute little wave to it, too.

I can somewhat justify it that way. It would be different, to me, if I were doing it every single day.

I also occasionally blow dry in the winter. Otherwise my hair can take up to 12+ to dry fully, even with wringing it in a towel.

I do highlights once in a while (bleach), and I color my hair every few months.

Puertoricangirl
August 19th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I brush my hair before I shower, use sulfate shampoo sometimes, sleep on a cotton pillowcase, flat iron my side bangs sometimes (but always use a heat protectant), and wear it down when I want to. :) (I make sure to pick it up when its windy or raining though) I just love my hair and don't like to have it up all the time!

Charybdis
August 20th, 2012, 03:46 AM
I leave my hair down a lot, even on windy days. But I don't really get split ends except from the combination of dying and heat styling, so I figure more frequent detangling isn't going to kill my hair. And I use a cotton pillowcase.

I definitely don't use chemical dye or heat-style when my hair is past shoulder, though, because it makes things even frizzier and my ends start to feel too dry. Those are the "bad" things I don't do unless I'm keeping my hair pretty short.

Syrena
August 20th, 2012, 05:09 AM
I am ok with occasional blow-drying (in the winter season) and usuing hot rollers on special occasions (2-3 times per year). - with bunch of heat protectant of course!

march_sun
August 20th, 2012, 07:40 AM
I wouldn't mind the occasional blow dry or use of a flat iron. Although I haven't felt the need for it since following the LHC methods.

Rinna
August 20th, 2012, 09:15 AM
I feel really guilty about lightening my hair, but I'm trapped doing it, as I don't want two-color hair.
I don't feel guilty about always wearing my hair down!

Aside from these 2, I'm not doing anything damaging to my hair. I wash once a week, don't use shampoo, do use oil, stay away from heat and never brush.

jacqueline101
August 20th, 2012, 10:20 AM
I like the hair color everything else I gave up. I air dry.

based goddess
August 21st, 2012, 06:34 PM
I blowdry it every 2 weeks (it's a must), color it with veggie dye, bleach the roots and may do the length soon, leave it in a ponytail most of the time, sometimes use sulfates, and brush it on occasion.

If I kept it up ALL THE TIME, and didn't dye it or anything, I wouldn't enjoy my hair at all.

beautifulending
August 24th, 2012, 01:57 AM
washing daily....I just don't feel it can cause a lot of damage to my hair.

Asprettyasme
August 24th, 2012, 02:09 AM
#error

#An error occurred.

NoRush
August 24th, 2012, 02:12 AM
I blowdry on cool or warm in the winter, especially when it's really cold outside (makes me feel like I'm protecting my health :bounce: ) I also don't mind frequent washings.

Sun bleaching, I must confess I kinda like it :p I *know* it's not good but it has to be better than actual bleach, that's my story and I'm sticking whit it! :D

And finally brushing, my hair hates combs.

Heatherzilla
August 24th, 2012, 02:47 AM
I detangle while wet. Only way I can get the tangles out is to do it while wet and covered in conditioner. Trying to detangle dry hair is not fun.

goldloli
August 24th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Same here. My hair lightens in the sun very easily but we get so little sun here I do feel the need to make the most of it in the hopes of some nice natural lightening down the length over the years.
Exactly the same! I live in england, so when it's not grey or raining i head outside to 'sun my hair'. I really go all out and spread my hair/change positions to get even highlights, it's emphasized any natural bayalage highlights I have. It's not the best for porous hair but an smt fixes any dryness. Like msguther says, you gotta enjoy what you have.

I'm okay with a flat iron once in a while. I don't have a lot of hair so if I let it dry a certain way, it only takes a few strokes per side of my head the next morning to get it to look good. I do it 2-4 times a month and don't see much damage from it.
This too. I rarely straighten the length now, maybe 2x a month but I do straighten bangs daily. Well not straighten, more like one swipe with low heat setting just to loosen the curl.

I never use combs, only fingers and bbb to detangle, on wet and dry! I also wear hair down most days. I used sls/als shampoos, various styling products if I feel like it. Don't stretch washes.

My hair looks beautiful most days, bouncy/shiny/healthy/silky/radiant and I'm still getting length at an average pace. Sure I'd reach hair length goals faster if I wore protective styles/stretched washes/didn't need to trim etc, but I want my hair to look amazing every day not just when I get to my goal.

NOTE: I really admire girls who wear protective styles, they look so elegant and are handy, I just don't have the confidence to pull hair away from my face and feel i look too 'edgy' for something so elegant.