PDA

View Full Version : Hair color dilema. Need advice/opinions. Pics*

misspurdy06
August 13th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Update. I used Natural Instincts Coastal Dune. (dark blonde) It turned out darker than I wanted but it will fade thank goodness. A few places turned out slightly green. Not bad though. I plan on using Ion Demi 7NA Medium Ash Blonde in the future. pics to come. Thanks to all who commented. I should have listened to you (I will in the future) but I tend to be impulsive. Thank you again .

I have an inch of roots but I haven't fully seen my natural hair color since 5th grade. Even then it was only 4 inches out before I bleached&colored again.

My mom says I'm gonna laugh at myself for making myself so frustrated when it grows out more and it will be the same color it is now. (I've been using sun in)

I think I should use a non-permanent to darken the ends a little but I don't know if it will be a waste of money.

Or it's not that noticeable and should just go with it.

The color depends so much on the light and my hair is so fricken shiny it's hard to ascertain the color and if I should dye. So I took pics in 3 different lights. 1 LED, 1 a soft yellow and a combination of both. I know I should add sunlight but it's nighttime. I will add sunlight soon until then criticize my hair to the point of rudeness.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/ksdjbgsidfgli.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/bhfgliert.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/jdfbglisudhgoiaeknjpg.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/sjdhguebr.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/LHColorled-1.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/LHColorLEDd.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/LHColorLEDs-1.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/LHColor.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/LHColorLED.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/LHColorLEDS.jpg

misspurdy06
August 13th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Sorry for the picture rant.

Bunnysaur
August 13th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I think it's still kind of hard to tell how the color looks with the lighting you chose. Do you have a picture of your hair outside?
To me, it looks like the blonde is washing you out a lot. It might just be the light, though.
I think you should try to grow out your natural color, or go for a darker shade of blonde.

akilina
August 13th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Perhaps you could just blend your roots with a color close-ish but lighter than your roots, and do something to the effect of a really pretty ombre :)

Orrrr you could always just match your ends to your roots, although since you are so light, over time the color you use will fade away and appear lighter. I don't think it would be a waste of your money though.

blondie9912
August 13th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I would add some kind of dark neutral blond dye, IMO. I have your natural hair colour, and last summer I used Johnn Frieda's Controlled Lightening Spray (basically the exact same thing as Sun-In, but it is recommended used with heat). It made my ends a nice, bright blonde, but it gave my roots a strange orange-y hue that I found quite unflattering. It seems to me that Sun-In has that same effect.

spidermom
August 13th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I'd just grow it. My blonde hair always grew in darker when summer was over, so what you have looks quite natural to me.

Micayla47
August 13th, 2012, 09:54 PM
i have a feeling the answer you want is "yes, you should dye it." sorry, but i think it looks great and you should just let it grow out.

misspurdy06
August 13th, 2012, 10:02 PM
i have a feeling the answer you want is "yes, you should dye it." sorry, but i think it looks great and you should just let it grow out.
That is most peoples mentality when asking for advice. But I am truly conflicted and and open to everyones vote.

AineMuirne
August 13th, 2012, 10:47 PM
I'd just let it grow out. Once it gets past your scalp line maybe dye the length (not the natural part!) a bit darker. I still wouldn't, though. But I don't like dye.

Maelyssa
August 13th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Years ago I pretty much had your two colors. After growing to roughly ear length I couldn't stand the contrast anymore. I felt it made my virgin hair look greasy and my overall look frumpy.
So I used a permanent color as close to my natural as possible and loved it.
It made the grow out much MUCH better an experIence.
Oh, and I think IUD look great with a slightly darker hue.
Good luck!

Crysania
August 13th, 2012, 11:24 PM
I have used sun-in in the past, my natural hair is dark blonde and i used it ( abused it ) until it got light blonde almost platinium!

i was tired of the upkeep and my roots looked so dark compared to the sun-in hair ....i decided to use a dye ( that i had used it the past with no problems .. )
clairol natural instinct in dark blonde-light brown, a level two that last 28 shampoos ..
my hair was trashed after that:( i dont know what happened exactly, did i still have some sun-in product in my hair when i dyed it ? i dont know, but there was some kind of reaction ...:confused:

from your pics, it seems like you have used sun-in quite a lot to get to that shade, so i would really advise you, if you do decide to dye your hair , do it on a strand test and see the result
your blonde hair is beautiful and it would be sad to ruin it

your natural hair, if you decide to keep it, im sure will be beautiful too, when it gets longer, its gonna have many natural variants to it
if you really like your hair more on the lighter side, you could grow natural but have a balayage done instead ? that is pretty too

Simone_Fatale
August 13th, 2012, 11:24 PM
I think your natural hair color is gorgeous, but the blonde suits you very well. Anyway, my best tip: just do what you wanna do. It's your hair, you have to live with it every single day, so why not just have fun and do what you want? :)

misspurdy06
August 14th, 2012, 12:18 AM
I have used sun-in in the past, my natural hair is dark blonde and i used it ( abused it ) until it got light blonde almost platinium!

i was tired of the upkeep and my roots looked so dark compared to the sun-in hair ....i decided to use a dye ( that i had used it the past with no problems .. )
clairol natural instinct in dark blonde-light brown, a level two that last 28 shampoos ..
my hair was trashed after that:( i dont know what happened exactly, did i still have some sun-in product in my hair when i dyed it ? i dont know, but there was some kind of reaction ...:confused:

from your pics, it seems like you have used sun-in quite a lot to get to that shade, so i would really advise you, if you do decide to dye your hair , do it on a strand test and see the result
your blonde hair is beautiful and it would be sad to ruin it

your natural hair, if you decide to keep it, im sure will be beautiful too, when it gets longer, its gonna have many natural variants to it
if you really like your hair more on the lighter side, you could grow natural but have a balayage done instead ? that is pretty too
What exactly happened to your hair?

joflakes
August 14th, 2012, 12:30 AM
Perhaps you could just blend your roots with a color close-ish but lighter than your roots, and do something to the effect of a really pretty ombre :)

Orrrr you could always just match your ends to your roots, although since you are so light, over time the color you use will fade away and appear lighter. I don't think it would be a waste of your money though.

This.

I wouldn't be able to live with the line of demarcation if it were my hair, but that's just me! Plus I have a thing for ombre :) I think it'd suit you really well, too.

xoxophelia
August 14th, 2012, 12:37 AM
I think the brassiness that has resulted from sun-in is a bit too warm and yellow for your complexion. A cooler hair color similar to your roots (medium-dark ash blonde maybe?) would help with any red tones in the skin. I also have pink tones in my skin like many of the dark-ash blondes out there which is part of what makes virgin ash colors very flattering for us.

You run the risk though of any dye you put over pulling green if you try to match your roots and depending on the type of sun-in you used there may be chemical reactions also. Look to see if the specific type you have used has metallic salts. If it does, you will definitely need to strand test before hand. You can end up with some weird color effects if you don't. So, this might be the sort of job best left to the pros because matching ash blondes can be very difficult.

BambooBeauty
August 14th, 2012, 12:38 AM
Just leave it alone and let your natural hair colour grow out. I know its hard im trying to grow out bleached highlight on dark brown hair, but i dont want anymore damage so im just leaving my hair alone and you should do the same.

Accalia
August 14th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Also i'm growing my hair out. I did try to darken my ends with permanent and semi perm dye but both faded. I recommend you just let it be. Cause feeling the need to dye will probably stay. Hair dye is quite an addiction... :D Good luck!

EtherealDoll
August 14th, 2012, 05:08 AM
I sometimes go for three months without re-dyeing my roots by using silver toning balm(I don't know if it's called in English like that, I just literally translated it). But my hair is dyed in medium/dark ash blonde, and my roots are medium ash brown, and the balm makes the roots look dark ash blonde/light ash brown.

elea
August 14th, 2012, 05:12 AM
what akilina says about dying between the blonde and the roots color *:O)

Tota
August 14th, 2012, 06:05 AM
My mom says I'm gonna laugh at myself for making myself so frustrated when it grows out more and it will be the same color it is now.

Mom could be on to something ...

Your pics remind me of my hair three years ago:
http://shrani.si/f/3R/pR/45zvbQ3U/img2320.jpg http://shrani.si/f/1Q/gV/49dcnuYA/img2274.jpg

I was struggling and hated the look but I managed not to dye it and now I'm happy I didn't. And the longer my roots got the ligher they became.

I understand it may be harder for you because your hair is much longer than mine was, but if you really want virgin hair, you'll need to keep away from sun-in etc.

I'd just grow it. My blonde hair always grew in darker when summer was over, so what you have looks quite natural to me.

I agree. I would say leave it through the winter and pamper it and then decide the next spring if you really want to change anything. Because what you have now to me looks like a natural winter ombre look and the more your roots grow, the more natural it will look.

But most of all - do what will make you happy and feel good. There's no use of growing hair if it makes you frustrated;)

florenonite
August 14th, 2012, 06:48 AM

That's what I'd do. I don't think your colour difference is much different from any dark blonde/light brown that bleaches in the summer.

Lilli
August 14th, 2012, 06:55 AM
I'd spend the money to get a pro to do some lowlights to blend it all in and then leave it be. Your natural color is pretty.

fairview
August 14th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I don't think this is a job that is suited to an at home job box color. There are a couple of rules. Color will not lift previously colored hair and color needs color to gab on to. You lifted hair at level 9/10 has had all the melanin stripped out of it so there is nothing there for new color to hold on to. Your natural growth perhaps a 6 +/- 1. It's nearly impossible to tell from photos. Moving down that many levels without first applying an immediate color for the desired color to have something to hold onto will produce uncertain result-as was previously mentioned it may pull green or some other nasty color.

As far as the brassiness is concerned, that can be resolved with some of that purple old ladies shampoo. Use it once a week or less unless you want a blue tinge to your hair. The blue/purple will suppress the brassiness.

I would suggest you consider dimensional high lights. Find a good colorist that will use your lifted and your natural canvass color to work in additional color from adjacent levels. It will look natural as it grows in, you will have an option to go either way, back to being blonde or to your natural color or stop during the process and the change will happen over a longer period of time. Dramatic changes such as you are thinking about usually are laced with panicked regret not because it looks bad but because the image you has been looking back in the mirror for years and years is so completely different than what you see 45 minutes after you sit in a chair.

Good luck

Crysania
August 14th, 2012, 11:05 PM
answer : my hair became kind of like when you overbleach it, spongy, weird ugly texture, ruined!
some girl at work was like ''omg!'' what did you do to your hair !?:(
it was embarassing

i would probably keep it two toned if i was you, thats what i have now anyways. your blonde is nice, if you dye it darker the color might be more close to your own, but it may not be as pretty as the blonde.
i'd rather have two tone nice colors than nice looking roots and ugly colored length( your gonna have to live with that color for many years before you finally cut it off)

SilverMcFly17
August 15th, 2012, 12:38 AM
I vote for a rinse. You can pick them up at Sally Beauty Supply. They have them on their website. Not sure if I'm allowed to link you. Don't do anything with it on days you're not going to work or out. JUST the days you really can't stand it, just rinse it in and leave it for the day or until whenever you wash it. Good luck, I love the color of your natural hair!