PDA

View Full Version : What's the longest you've gone without wetting your hair?

Lauram
August 13th, 2012, 12:11 PM
W.o. Or shampoo, how long have you gone?

And also what is a more reasonable length you can stretch or are willing to stretch on a regular basis?

This week im going to see how long I can go without any water in my hair (other than the mn treatment). Anyone else wanna try with me?

I just started c.o. Washing everyday. I'm new here so I'm trying to work out of the habit of washing everyday. (I did used to use c.o. Washes years ago, since then have been sls and cone free before switching back )

akilina
August 13th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Just know that something that works for some, may not work for you.
I always wanted to stretch my washes, or try W/O But the simple fact about it is that I simply can not.
I do CO wash some days in the week, but mostly I am an every day washer.
The other issue for me is that I can not get in the shower, and not get my hair wet. I like the feeling too much :] I feel like the shower is incomplete without washing.

spidermom
August 13th, 2012, 12:23 PM
A week to 10 days; not sure.
I didn't like it.

Tisiloves
August 13th, 2012, 12:27 PM
A week, maybe, it was a little grim, about day 5 my hair stops absorbing grease so it all piles on top.

Amygirl8
August 13th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Maybe around two weeks?
It's usually every 3-4 days for me :]

lapushka
August 13th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Maybe around two weeks?
It's usually every 3-4 days for me :]

Same here, except the two weeks really was *hell*. Usually it needs to be washed twice a week, but now it's every 5 to 7 days.

Lauram
August 13th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Just know that something that works for some, may not work for you.
I always wanted to stretch my washes, or try W/O But the simple fact about it is that I simply can not.
I do CO wash some days in the week, but mostly I am an every day washer.
The other issue for me is that I can not get in the shower, and not get my hair wet. I like the feeling too much :] I feel like the shower is incomplete without washing.

I agree about the needing to wet hair while in the shower. That's gonna be hard for me not to do. I know everyone is different , I'm just curious how long people manage to go :)

Thanks for your reply

ravenreed
August 13th, 2012, 01:12 PM
WO doesn't work for me. It just makes my hair look stringy and greasy, even if it didn't look that way before getting in the shower. The longest I have gone without washing was when I was ill, probably about two weeks. It wasn't pretty! Nowadays, I sometimes go three days without COing, but my ends get dry, my roots get greasy, and my scalp gets itchy!

jojo
August 13th, 2012, 02:02 PM
I've managed a week and it wasn't too bad to be honest, but I prefer to wash my hair every other day it just works for me.

Loveisaverb
August 13th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Probably a week without any water, and the same for shampoo.
When I don't shampoo every 4+ days and just use WO my hair ends up feeling like it has a lot of buildup and just feels stringy.
But it works for the in-between days.

Maybe
August 13th, 2012, 02:05 PM
6 days, just this past week. I prefer to wash twice a week but thought I would try it.

Up to 5 days is fine. 6 was one too many but it was a weekend so it didn't really matter.

alwayssmiling
August 13th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I've just got back from a 5 day festival without washing my hair. I think it will be the longest I've gone without wetting or washing in my life. I was surprised at how Ok it looked. I wore it down so my roots weren't on display and didn't need the hat I took. I brushed it everyday with a BBB. The length went really weird, curly with a kind of waxy texture. It didn't feel like my hair at all. I was glad to give it a good wash.

Madora
August 13th, 2012, 02:45 PM
The longest was 10 weeks.

I usually shampoo once a month, but brush every day with a clean boar bristle brush.

ArienEllariel
August 13th, 2012, 02:53 PM
mm probably 4 days.

dwell_in_safety
August 13th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Uhh, well, I think the longest I've gone without water on my head at all is 10-12 days. Currently I've been CO-only since October, with two washes with a clarifying shampoo during that time. The first of those didn't happen until this past April, though, and I only needed to do it again recently due to having awful water this past summer. :p

lmfbs
August 13th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I CO wash, and in the last 9 months have used shampoo either 2 or 3 times. So I guess 5, 6 months?

The longest I've been without washing including CO is about 18 days. Eventally it got a bit dry and tangly at the ends. And I like the smell of conditioner.

Without water, probably 4 days. I swim 4-5 times a week, so it's rare that my hair doesn't get wet.

Idjit
August 13th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I've probably gone 7 or 8 days without washing but I prefer to wash every 3-5 days. Really, by the end of day 3 I wouldn't wear my hair down but since it's usually up anyway, out of convenience, it doesn't matter too much. I wash when I feel like it.

mzBANGBANG
August 13th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I did 15 days of WO before I decided I missed using products on my hair for styling. Other than that, it wasn't too bad! Did start looking a little greasy on day 10, though.

HappyHair87
August 13th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I can go a week without washing. But by day 3 i feel like an itchy tumbleweed...lol!

AineMuirne
August 13th, 2012, 03:47 PM
8 days because of an injury this day last year. I couldn't wait to take a shower once I was allowed out of bed. By some magic, my hair still smelled good, even though the rest of me didn't! I usually wash my hair every day or every other day. Stretching washes just does not work for me. And I can't stand it. If I'm going to shower, I need to wash my hair.

Dang3rousB3auty
August 13th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I think prob longest I have ever gone is a week. I would like to go further just to see. I was thinking of going out today actually to get some bandanas for my hair. Just because my biggest concern about stretching washes really far is that I have to go out in public with gross hair so if I can cover it somehow I am more likely to try it.

It is very strange that if I have completely clean hair, then I decide I need to just rinse off in the shower because I sweat a lot that day or whatever it was and I get my hair wet. When my hair dries it looks oily and gross. Even when I don't put in a leave-in and just comb it and dry. I don't really understand how water can make your hair look gross, but I don't think WO will ever work for me because of that.

AineMuirne
August 13th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I think prob longest I have ever gone is a week. I would like to go further just to see. I was thinking of going out today actually to get some bandanas for my hair. Just because my biggest concern about stretching washes really far is that I have to go out in public with gross hair so if I can cover it somehow I am more likely to try it.

It is very strange that if I have completely clean hair, then I decide I need to just rinse off in the shower because I sweat a lot that day or whatever it was and I get my hair wet. When my hair dries it looks oily and gross. Even when I don't put in a leave-in and just comb it and dry. I don't really understand how water can make your hair look gross, but I don't think WO will ever work for me because of that.

It's the same for me when I get my hair wet. Maybe it has something to do with hard water, or we're just doing it wrong somehow, lol. I'll have to try it at my parents' house since they have a water conditioner. I do want to try scalp only washing, because my length looks good after a few days, but my scalp gets oily after ~16 hours.

pepperminttea
August 13th, 2012, 04:48 PM
About two weeks without water? I think. Five and a half months without shampoo once. Neither were pleasurable experiences.

Tota
August 13th, 2012, 04:49 PM
1. Not more than 5 days.

2. 2 or maybe 3 days (if I don't workout)

3. I've tried to stretch washes to more than that and failed :)

4. I CO every second or third day for the last 8 months. I shampoo once or twice a month to clarify. Before CO I had to wash my hair ever day (with a shampoo) so I'm still happy with the progress.

joflakes
August 13th, 2012, 04:50 PM
About 4 days. It was getting rather itchy on the scalp and I didn't like it!

Shepherdess
August 13th, 2012, 04:56 PM
The longest I have ever went without washing my head and hair was probably over a week. I didn't like how it made my scalp feel though and my hair looked oily.

Now I usually wash my hair once or twice a week, depending on how my scalp feels and how my hair looks. I have started doing scalp only washes so I wont have to wash the length so frequently.

tambalina
August 13th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Most I have gone is 5 days - and my scalp hates it. Now I alternate CO and CWC washes every other day.

skyblue
August 13th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I've stretched my washes to once a week, I've been doing this for a few years now, this week I just plain forgot to wash it...it's been hectic lol I think it's been 10 days maybe more and I'm really surprised that it looks pretty good, not oily or limp at all right now but I don't want to push so I'm oiling it up tonight for a wash in the morning, I think I'll pay better attention this time and try to go for 10 days again and see how well it does

Falcore
August 13th, 2012, 05:02 PM
About two weeks with no water. I had no bad effects (I never get an oily/smelly scalp) my problem was simply missing the feeling of water on my hair. I prefer CO once a week.

The longest without shampoo probably, a year. I now use it when I feel it needs it. Maybe every 3 months and it's always diluted.

dawnrader
August 13th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I've been 3 weeks without washing my hair, i was trying to get it back in condition using my own hair oils (succeeded too) It wasn't pretty, by no means, but it worked.
I easily go 2 weeks without washing but my hair is bunned for the 2nd week.
I normally wash my hair once a week.

HylianGirl
August 13th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I could stay 3 or 4 days with my hair looking clean, I guess I could strech for a week, but I just like to wash it xP I like the feeling of full cleaningness after I shower and to feel my hair loose... but then again I CO wash and oil my hair before washing to avoid damage. I rarelly use shampoo, haven't used it in months.

Delila
August 13th, 2012, 05:25 PM
7 days. Didn't look any worse than about day four, but wow, it felt a lot worse. It even hurt to move my hair.

Since then I haven't bothered with stretching washes much, it's not worth the discomfort.

sumidha
August 13th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Probably close to a month without water or shampoo, in the middle of winter. I wet/wash more frequently in the summer.

KwaveT
August 13th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Probably about a week is the longest I have went. I normally go no more than about three or four days.

bluesnowflake
August 13th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I was really sick once and didn't wet it for about 10 days. It was icky and not fun at all- never trying that again! Regularly I wash every other or every third day and my hair stays nice.

spirals
August 13th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I have gone up to 5 days without a shampoo, but I'm sure I misted it in between. I've only gone that long due to an extremely heavy schedule, where I had to choose clean hair or sleep.

evieisocoolike
August 13th, 2012, 08:55 PM
I've gone two weeks for an experiment. It was not pleasant.

My head was very sore, and like a previous poster it hurt to move my hair. It also made my hair itchy and smell like sebum.

I'm now settled with every 2/3 days. :)

holistichabits
August 13th, 2012, 09:11 PM
I think probably a week. I want to try and go longer.. but my head always gets itchy after the 5th day!

Garnet66
August 13th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I can go about five days without any water. Then my hair gets really greasy and I need to wash it. My hair does pretty well weather I wash it or not. I do wash my hair every other day now though.

gthlvrmx
August 14th, 2012, 07:08 PM
About 4 months back when i was younger and didn't want to shower at all. Quite a stinky summer but my hair super shiny and soft when i did wash it :) It was really dull looking throughout that time though :p

LadyLongLocks
August 14th, 2012, 09:24 PM
10-14 days was the longest. I was in the hospital. I never meant to wait that long. I felt gross!

jacqueline101
August 14th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I stretch washes to every week.

jellycatty
August 14th, 2012, 09:33 PM
1 week when I was younger. My hair didn't get greasy as quickly as it does now.
I wash every other day.

sun-kissed
August 14th, 2012, 09:44 PM
I went eight days without water when I was trying to stretch washes to once a week. It was a nasty time, my scalp never got used to once a week washing, despite my trying for almost a year. Washing every three-four days seems to work best for me.

MrsGuther
August 14th, 2012, 11:33 PM
A week and it was too yucky to handle! :/ lol