PDA

View Full Version : fringe or no fringe with glasses?

jojo
March 16th, 2008, 01:12 PM
for those of you who wear glasses, do you prefer a fringe or no fringe.

I kinda like a side fringe as it stops me looking too severe when my hair is all up.

opinions please!

lavenderblue
March 16th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I have glasses and chin length bangs, they get along fine ;)

jojo
March 16th, 2008, 01:20 PM
i sort of feel like a john lennon with no fringe at all as i have a long face too!

EvilPigeon
March 16th, 2008, 01:20 PM
When I am wearing my glasses, I think I look better with bangs. However, I look better without bangs when I'm wearing contacts instead. I think alot of people who wear glasses look rather cute with bangs.

spidermom
March 16th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I'd rather have fringe. It expands my style options.

Chamomile betty
March 16th, 2008, 01:51 PM
My bangs are short and it's not problem.
Once they begin to grow out they get caught.

If you like bangs I suggest a bit shorter so your glasses do not pull out the hairs.
On the other hand if they are longer I am sure you'll be ok. It's probably that med stage that's frustrating.

DolphinPrincess
March 16th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I have glasses that I wear at all times, and as you can see in my siggy, I have a side fringe. I have a massive "widow's peak" and can't go without the fringe.;)

Neon Gloss
March 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I used to have a fringe, but now I want to grow it out so that I can tie ALL of my hair back. It would get in the way, otherwise.

xrosiex
March 16th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I prefer bangs on myself. It hides the wrinkles on my forehead.:o

wintersun99
March 16th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I like both looks with glasses (fringe or no fringe) and I have done both. I think if you have very cool glasses, fringe can really show them off.

tiny_teesha
March 20th, 2008, 07:22 AM
i have caught my fringe in the glasses hinge a few times, just be careful. Um i think it depends on your face shape and glasses style. I don't think a short fringe works for me but i hadn't had one in years so i made it short and wispy for the first time in february. I plan to grow it to my chin now, then i may chop it again sometime. I do need to trim it to even it up and make it blunt again.

Xandergrammy
March 20th, 2008, 07:26 AM
If I didn't have my pesky cowlick, I'd probably have fringe. I've never been able to wear bangs. :sad:

Chromis
March 20th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I hate fringe with glasses! Always gets caught in them! Ow!

I also have a very stubborn and severe centre part, so bangs look pretty silly on me anyhow, but mostly it's the hinges and upkeep that bug me.

Faepirate
March 20th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I wear glasses with no bangs. I think it looks fine... :)
To be honest I don't think wearing glasses has anything to do with whether or not you should have a fringe. It's more to do with the shape of your face and hairline. I have a massive foredhead (seriously) and although people have said in the past "get bangs to cover it up" I really don't think a fringe would work for precisely that reason. My hairline is so far up.

(Actually, I suppose the rebel in me refuses to get a fringe BECAUSE people don't seem to like large foreheads. I don't feel ashamed of my forehead! Oi, yes, it's big but it's not in any way ugly!)

Caldonia Sun
March 20th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I wear glasses most of the time and have had bangs for many years. I started growing them out in October and they are at nose level. I think I look fine either way, but am tired of dealing with the constant need to trim. Also, stylists over the years kept adding hair to the bang area and it had gotten so thick; that's what really propelled me to grow out. And yes, they do get caught in the hinges :(

Gutterfayrie
March 20th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I have short bangs that I think looks really cute with my glasses!

to bad I never wear my glasses, just my contacts :D

cassie_g
March 20th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Glasses but no fringe for me. I've tried and just can't seem to be able to train the hair to not part in the middle anymore.

khyricat
March 20th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I have worn glasses since I was 4, and other than 2 brief periods (one of which involved short hair) have never really had fringe.. I hate bangs on me, despite my high forehead.. my glasses are a fashion accessory and enough to break up the long face and high forehead.

That and as someone else mentioned- the last time I had fringe I tore hair twice getting it caught in the bangs..

Celebrian
March 30th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Yes, a full fringe looks good - but not too long, and certainly not too short. Also side-fringe - and no fringe at all. It all depends on the individual bone structure, doesn't it?

.Amanaka.
March 30th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I have glasses, and a side fringe. I've also had full bangs, no bangs, whispy bangs. For me, I don't like how I look with my glasses and pulled back hair. So... bangs work best on me, while on my mom they don't really work at all. It definitely depends on the person.

I also have a cowlick that makes it kind of hard to have bangs, but I have been persistent, and now they look alright.

AmandaPanda
March 30th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I have bangs and glasses. I have had bangs most of my life. My forehead is large, and I just look 10X better with the bangs, especially when wearing my hair up, which I do a lot of the time.

My bangs rarely get caught in the hinges of my glasses. The only way they could get caught is if I bend them at the hinges while putting them on, or while they're on, and that's kind of hard for me to do.
I'm not worried about damage, because they're just my bangs, they are kept short, and this rarely happens

Coral
March 30th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I wear glasses and I prefer not to have a fringe- but just because it does not suit me.

Nynaeve
March 30th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I don't wear glasses, though I always wanted to, so I can't be much help here. :(

Sidani
March 30th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I just recently got my bangs cut back in after 10 years of growing them out. I originally let them grow out because they smudged my glasses so badly (from my oily forehead) and I was constantly having to clean them. Since moving the California, the weather agrees with me much more than in Virginia and I was happy to be able to have fringe again after so long without. I have a long face and felt sort of "horsey" looking without my bangs.

Also, to rectify the 'hair getting caught in the hinges situation', DH bought me a beautiful pair of Silhouettes for Christmas. I love them and often forget I've got them on. lol I have found myself wandering around looking for them and actually had them on my face. *rme* Blonde to the bone. :D

Jeni
March 31st, 2008, 12:44 AM
I wear glasses and up until a year and a 1/2 ago I had bangs. I think bangs and glasses look fine, if you face looks good with bangs.

I had bangs because I thought I HAD to have them. I have a large forehead, it's not huge, but definitely not small, not to mention I have a deeeeeeeep wrinkle on my forehead. I hated my bangs, my hair is flat, so every morning I had to blowfry them with a round brush to get them not to stick to my head (yes I had barbie bangs). I finally decided to hell with people who think my forehead is big, and grew them out. I love it! My face isn't as round looking as before, and I don't look 12.

So I say (in a long drawn out way) if you want bangs get bangs, if not don't. I'm sure either way you will look lovely!

Jeni

Beesweet
April 1st, 2008, 05:28 AM
I hope this link works. I wear Silouettes. They are rimless and have no hinge.
I HATE breakage of hair around the area of the hinge -- it's finally hitting chin length by now. Long time fixing.
Silouettes are expensive. I got around it by taking a family member's cast off frames and having them fixed and put my lenses in. They were STILL expensive, but they are so light I won't wear anything else. I tend toward headaches with heavy glasses, ponytails, etc, so these are wonderful.
Also, if you get hip frames, fringe doesn't matter in my opinion.
http://www.justrimless.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28&products_id=110&zenid=243732dc5167388e2d35af61f8946709

Kayleena
July 28th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Hi, everyone! :) My vote is that glasses are okay with either. If one needs glasses & can’t wear contact lenses, then one shouldn’t have to give up a hairstyle that s/he loves because of it. In my case, though, my forehead is so high & wide that I feel glasses help break up the expanse on my face. If I wear bangs/fringe, then I can hide sun damage wrinkles & I feel I can wear either glasses or contact lenses. Glasses actually help hold the sides of my hair away from my face, too, & since the last two pairs I’ve had have smaller lenses, I don’t mind them as much as I used to. I’ve had to wear glasses since I was 8 or 9, & up until only a few years ago, I would take them off before letting anyone take my picture! :lol: – **Lady Kayleena Victoria of the Performance Stage in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights**

Sceleste
July 28th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I have bangs and glasses. I have had bangs most of my life. My forehead is large, and I just look 10X better with the bangs, especially when wearing my hair up, which I do a lot of the time.

My bangs rarely get caught in the hinges of my glasses. The only way they could get caught is if I bend them at the hinges while putting them on, or while they're on, and that's kind of hard for me to do. I'm not worried about damage, because they're just my bangs, they are kept short, and this rarely happens

Same here. At the moment I have very short fringe, cut straight across. I've also had a sideswept fringe, a long fringe that hits my eyelashes, face framing layers... you name it. For me having a fringe has nothing to do with glasses but I need something to cover my huge forehead.

I don't worry about damage either since I know I won't grow my fringe in the near future. Having oily facial skin I have to wash my fringe every morning, and often I just grab a soap for that and never condition.

Amoretti
July 28th, 2008, 03:43 AM
It depends on the face. If you have a small face (like me) with a medium size forehead, then no fringe looks good. I think a full fringe on me would overwhelm my face because only a bit of it would show with my glasses on. If I wanted a fringe it would have to be a sideswept one so part of my forehead would still be seen.

If you have a large face then a sideswept fringe or a full one can look nice.

You should tell us if you have a big/small face and show us some pics with your glasses on and off so we can decide. :)

Tap Dancer
July 28th, 2008, 04:10 AM
I've had both and both look okay on me. I'm really loving "no bangs" at the moment, though.

Miss Murphy
August 2nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
I have eyebrow-length bangs and sometimes wear glasses. I love my bangs! :inlove:

Nizhoni
August 2nd, 2008, 11:22 AM
Fringe and glasses doesn't work for me because my hair is very unruly and the glasses makes the fringe stand out at the sides, more than usual that is. And I don't think this (http://www.jarvzoo.se/images/djurbilder/myskoxe/djur_myskoxe.jpg) look suits me. :rolleyes:

But I really like the softer look that a fringe gives any hair cut or updo. :)

sneakybea
August 2nd, 2008, 08:26 PM
I've recently gone back to bangs, and I wear both glasses and contacts (not at the same time, of course!). Before I got contacts, I had very full and long bangs, and when I wore a hat, they hit the frames and curled up! It was kind of annoying, kind of cute at the same time. Now I have less bangs and wear them shorter. I just wear my hair up so often that without them I feel school marmish and severe.
Sneakybea

iluvmy67cuda
August 3rd, 2008, 03:37 PM
well i have to wear my glasses constantly or i'll hurt myself or someone else because im as blind as a bat LOL, and after my fringe f#% up, theyre too short, so they havent been ripped outta my head yet, but i know they will when they get longer. EVERY time ive had bangs in my life i've ripped hair with my damn hinges on my glasses, but im also accident prone, and have been known to run around the house looking for my glasses while im wearing them. HA. I think it'll be ok though, just gotta be really really careful.

thankyousir74
August 3rd, 2008, 03:54 PM
i sort of feel like a john lennon with no fringe at all as i have a long face too!

Argh I hope this doesn't happen to me. I've had fringe all my life and now I want my hair all one length. It's gonna be hard not giving myself some fringe but I really wanna see what its like to have it all one length. and yesh, my glasses do like eating hair >_<

thankyousir74
August 3rd, 2008, 03:56 PM
Fringe and glasses doesn't work for me because my hair is very unruly and the glasses makes the fringe stand out at the sides, more than usual that is. And I don't think this (http://www.jarvzoo.se/images/djurbilder/myskoxe/djur_myskoxe.jpg) look suits me. :rolleyes:

But I really like the softer look that a fringe gives any hair cut or updo. :)

Hilarious picture!! I remember my freshman year i cut my hair to give short bangs and the same thing happened to me. Longer bangs look best with my hair.

berr
August 3rd, 2008, 04:17 PM
I prefer bangs on myself. It hides the wrinkles on my forehead.:o

Ditto that!!

Katahdin
August 3rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
Well, I have glasses, and a fringe that just covers my eyebrows. I personally must have a fringe of some kind, otherwise I look terrible unless I have my hair down. =) But I've never really had a problem with hair getting caught in the hinges.

Plus, it helps hide acne. 8)

Nizhoni
August 4th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Hilarious picture!! I remember my freshman year i cut my hair to give short bangs and the same thing happened to me. Longer bangs look best with my hair.

If I have a longer fringe only one side stands out, but I don't like that look either. :p

Millielie
August 4th, 2008, 03:08 AM
I used to have long side swept bangs and every time I wore my glasses (I don't like them so I rarely wear them :p ) the bangs slipped over the frame and hung right in front of my eyes.