PDA

View Full Version : Colorfix Question

xltorresx
August 12th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Hey girlies, well my hair has off black semi permanent dye, that I have been using for the past 3 years. Needless to say I'm now bored and want my hair lighter. So a few nights ago I used colorfix, which has only lightened it slightly, about half as much as I would like.

So my question is, does anyone recommend repeating the process again? I got 2 treatments out of the first box and my hair doesn't seem damaged. Been using ALOT of coconut oil. What have your experiences been? Has anyone seen more improvement the second time round or was there no difference?

Calaelen
August 12th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Hi! stylist here. These products are not made for semi permanent colour, and will not work as well as if you'd been using permanent colour, because of how the process works. You can do up to three rounds in a row, and can expect to get to about 4 shades lighter doing so, some have had better results, and scientifically, I can't explain this. Your natural colour will determine what colour you end up with, but I can say expect a medium caramel auburn in most cases when going from black

It is relatively safe to repeat the process, and I have done three times in a row on my own hair with only some dryness which was easily fixed with a deep conditioner one time.

All you can do is give it shot at this point, but be prepared to have to tone, or even recolour, you will not likely achieve your natural hair colour with this process, and anything that would accomplish it is much more damaging, and I would recommend seeking a stylist in that case.

xltorresx
August 12th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Thank you sooo much for your detailed response! I think I will give it another shot :) I just want it light enough to get a nice warm brown color. My natural color is about a Carmel auburn. What exactly is a toner? Can this be done at home?

Calaelen
August 12th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Thank you sooo much for your detailed response! I think I will give it another shot :) I just want it light enough to get a nice warm brown color. My natural color is about a Carmel auburn. What exactly is a toner? Can this be done at home?

There are many toners available for home use. They are a light stain that slightly changes a base colour. Often they're used to correct a certain tone you want removed, ie. purple for yellow tones, green for red tones ect. They come as a rinse, a conditioner, or more common in professional settings, as a very concentrated additive to mix in with our hair colours to achieve slightly different shades and tones.

You can try them at home, and the bonus is most of the ones available for home use are not permanent, so if it isn't doing what you want, you can easily colour over it, or wait for it to rinse out and try something else. They're pretty forgiving, and except for attempting to tone VERY light colours platinum or grey/white, you can't really end up with a bad result.

xltorresx
August 12th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks again, definitely makes me feel more confident now that I know my options :)