PDA

View Full Version : My BBB gets gunky really quick

Rufflebutt
August 12th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Lately I've been having to wash my BBB every single day because after one use, it's already completely chalked up with gunk and grossness.
My hair doesn't seem to have any build up on it... it's soft and have plenty of body. It doesn't seem string or weighed down nor does feel crispy or crunchy.

But before I'd be able to wash my BBB only once a week. Does anyone have any idea why there's so much drastic change?

Madora
August 12th, 2012, 05:21 PM
It sounds like what you're using on your hair is causing some kind of buildup.

If I were you, I'd clarify with a clarifying shampoo and then condition (keep it simple).

Then try brushing again.

Rufflebutt
August 12th, 2012, 05:28 PM
It sounds like what you're using on your hair is causing some kind of buildup.

If I were you, I'd clarify with a clarifying shampoo and then condition (keep it simple).

Then try brushing again.
It doesn't feel like it has any buildup on it. D: Will hair sometimes do that?

Madora
August 12th, 2012, 05:34 PM
It doesn't feel like it has any buildup on it. D: Will hair sometimes do that?

Sometimes you can't tell, but the buildup is there because every time you put something on your hair, it leaves a trace behind, even though you rinse thoroughly. And of course, over the months, the traces build up.

The gunk on your brush sounds like it might be buildup because if you had a sebum problem, your hair would be very oily and you'd notice it.

The only other thing I can think of is: what are you washing your boar bristle brush with? How do you wash it? I mean, do you use a scrub brush (nail brush) to get between the bristles? What kind of soap or shampoo are you using? How long do you let it soak?

SongofLove
August 15th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Oooh, I've been having the same problem of a gunky BBB. What is a good way to wash it?

spidermom
August 15th, 2012, 07:49 AM
I swish my BBB through a shampoo/water solution in the sink, then scrub it with a nail brush. Rinse well and dry thoroughly with blow dryer.

P.S. - everything you use in your hair leaves a residue - conditioner, oils, gel, etc.

Madora
August 15th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Oooh, I've been having the same problem of a gunky BBB. What is a good way to wash it?

A nail brush or toothbrush helps get between the bristle rows. You can use a little bit of shampoo or gentle soap (I use Neutrogena).

For a longer soak, I just fill a tall plastic bottle with warm water, add a bit of shampoo, stir, then pop in the brush so that the bristles are submerged (not the handle) and let it sit for 7 minutes, then rinse with cold water.

Shake it out well, then fan the bristles several times with your fingers. Wipe off all wooden parts, then place it, bristles side down, on a lint free cloth. Do not place in direct sunlight!

heidi w.
August 15th, 2012, 09:33 AM
If you clarify, also clean your hairbrush and your detangling comb.

heidi w.

SongofLove
August 16th, 2012, 01:37 AM
Thanks spidermom, Madora and Heidi!