PDA

View Full Version : Egg mask protein treatment - first time, amazing results! Lots of pics

girlthursday
August 12th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Recently, a friend of mine suggested I use some protein shampoo and conditioner to combat my frizzy, straw-like ends. I thought I should give it a try since my hair is pretty badly damaged from years of bleaching and dyeing.

I haven't used products (besides dye) in over a year though, so I didn't want to go the shampoo or conditioner route. (My regular routine is water rinses once or twice a week, baking soda wash for oily/dirty hair on occasion, coconut oil or olive oil to lock in moisture once in awhile.)

I immediately jumped on the LHC to find the answer to my question and came up with a few threads that mentioned egg masks.
I concocted this recipe from the info I found:

Whisk together 2 eggs until well-blended (less if you have shorter hair, more if you have longer)
Add 1.5 tsp/egg of coconut oil (melted but not hot). For my 2 egg recipe, this equals 3 tsp or 1 Tsp.
Whisk together. If your eggs were cold, the coconut oil might firm up, but it's okay, you'll just warm it up with your hands later.
Working in sections if you're organized or randomly if you're a messy Jessie like me, dip your fingers into the egg mixture, warm up the coconut oil if necessary, then massage into your scalp, working the mixture down your length.
Work your way down your length. For me, I tried to concentrate mostly on the ends because that's where most of the damage was. I dipped the ends right into the cup of egg mix so they were thoroughly soaked.
Pour any leftover mix over your hair and work it in.
Put your hair in a bun and wrap with a shower cap (or if you are capless like me, you can use saran wrap).
Leave it on for 20 minutes.
Rinse your hair very very thoroughly with cool or lukewarm water. Hot water will cook the egg in your hair apparently. Yuck!
Wait for it to dry and then admire the results.

I was a little skeptical, especially when I was rinsing my hair out and it felt really really dry and unmanageable. I was momentarily concerned that this was going to make my hair worse!

Once it dried, it was like silk. A few days later and it still is. No tangles, super manageable, straight! And no tangles!!!

Here are some pictures:

Before (Notice the waves and the poof and how I can't run my fingers through my hair):
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-wm53RDG15hw/UCfnQa2losI/AAAAAAAAS9A/QgBPXClfGRM/s518/IMG_5387.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-yOtjUzQLZG0/UCfnbu32ApI/AAAAAAAAS9I/N85_VdRegGc/s664/IMG_5414.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--v047YPuZ0w/UCfnlXt84JI/AAAAAAAAS9Q/IRw7lzC45BY/s691/IMG_5417.JPG

During (because saran wrap is high fashion):
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-CEFtboqBtfc/UCfnzlb7hyI/AAAAAAAAS9c/JtIcthf3tp4/s519/IMG_5543.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-f6iZuWTPuo8/UCfn4WLBlrI/AAAAAAAAS9w/YOaQKG6EtG8/s519/IMG_5564.JPG
And for dramatic effect:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-jXnCxZngPUw/UCfn2ovvu3I/AAAAAAAAS9o/jYSCSrokdG0/s519/IMG_5548.JPG

Finally, the results (notice how smooth and straight it is with no brushing, no products, no heat, just eggs!):
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WwvJfaqaJno/UCfn63OBHsI/AAAAAAAAS94/c4s47Rtdeas/s519/IMG_5584.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-tQadSlaXysw/UCfoV4z8GjI/AAAAAAAAS-A/jBLjyvhH_jM/s519/IMG_5604.JPG

I will definitely be making this a part of my regular routine!
Has anyone else had good experiences with egg masks?

JellyBene
August 12th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Your results look great! I will have to try this when I get a chance :)

Charybdis
August 12th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I love your Saran Wrap photos. Awesome! :)

xltorresx
August 12th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Awesome, looks like this is exactly what your hair needed :)

Honey_Bear89
August 12th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I have frizzy hair and protein treatments are amazing at controlling it and making it super soft! Glad you had a great experience and love the pink and purple!!

CharleaMurphy
August 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I used mayonnaise yesterday (it's made of egg so I thought I might as well try it)
And my hair is so soft now :')

march_sun
August 12th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Nice! I'm going to run off and try it now

jacqueline101
August 12th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Your hair turned out nice I'm always looking for ways to improve mine. I do love your hair color.

spidermom
August 12th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I used to have the same tank top you're wearing in the first three pictures.
It's a furniture polish rag now.

Why did you put the egg stuff on your scalp?

AnnaB
August 12th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Ah great results!!

I love eggs masks. I miss egg with olive oil and a bit of honey too! Moisturising and lots of protein :)

ps love the 2 tonal hair colour!

Arakazi
August 12th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Results look awesome! I will deffinatly give it a go. I have been thinking about using egg in my hair for a little while now. Glad it turned out well!!

Henrietta
August 12th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Eggs and my hair met once and the latter party was not pleased. But I am glad to see your joy :) It's great you've found a miracle treatment. I know how amazing it is. And the pictures are great! :)

Arakazi
August 12th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I looked in the articles and found these three other egg recipe's (sorry if you have already seen these) I thought you may be interested :D

TammySue’s Egg Shampoo

1 egg
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon castile soap
1/2 cup cold water

Whip ingredients together and massage gently into scalp. Leave the mixture on for a few minutes before rinsing out. Use only lukewarm (not hot) water for egg washing. Use a final rinse of water and vinegar.

Thea Evanda's Original Egg Shampoo Mix

1 teaspoon of honey
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
juice of 1 medium-sized lemon

The honey and the eggs should be scrambled very well, because the lemon juice can cause the egg white to flock without the honey.Add essential oils to change the smell or, if the shampoo is too drying, add up to two teaspoons of oil to step down the washing power.

You apply it to the hair just like normal shampoo (but it is very liquid, so it takes a bit of experimentation), let it sit for 5 minutes so the Lecithine can work its washing magic and rinse with lukewarm (38-40°C) water. Afterwards a nice cold rinse helps to add shine.

Flaxen's Favorite Egg Shampoo

1 egg
3 Tablespoons water
1 teaspoon amla powder

Whisk this together with a mini whisk until it is frothy and very thick. Apply it to wet hair, and leave it on for the length of the shower. Rinse well.

~BoHemiAngel~
August 12th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I LOVE doing egg masks! I've tried a gazillion different expensive hair products, and I swear my hair just loves eggs the best! I add a tsp of apple cider vinegar in mine to balance the pH, and also a bit of honey (microwaved first!) for shine.

Your hair looks beautiful, and I love the color!

swearnsue
August 12th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Your hair looks really cool. I don't know about anyone else's experiences but your saran wrap is done so neatly, certainly doesn't look like how I do it!

Dziip
August 12th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Here (I love the way this person thinks hair and experiments it) you should find a way to improve even more your protein masks by adding gelatin:

http://scienceyhairblog.blogspot.fr/p/recipes-and-projects.html

A sample : "Gelatin is one of the few hydrolyzed proteins you can buy at nearly any grocery store, so it is accessible and inexpensive. Unmodified proteins like egg, yogurt, and mayonnaise have limited ability to add protein to the hair's structure and can carry harmful bacteria (raw eggs, for example)."

CaitlinMarie93
August 12th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Your results are astounding! Your hair looks so soft and manageable. I definitely need to go fetch some eggs from the fridge! :)

maborosi
August 12th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Oh wow that is awesome!

I had no idea protein treatments could do something like that! o_o

I love your hair- awesome purple and pink :D

~maborosi~

Arakazi
August 13th, 2012, 01:37 AM
I did the mask this morning and I am not 100% sure about my results to be honest I think I need a clarify and that would help a whole lot.

I did 2 eggs blended with 1.5tsp coconut oil and 1.5tsp honey.
I left it in my hair for about an hour and finished off with a vinegar rinse.

Pro's:
My hair looks shiny
feels stronger
feels very clean.

Con's:
Feels "gunky" (might be a bit of a contradiction from clean :P)

Like I said above I am in need of a clarify so I will try this again after that. :D

WaitingSoLong
August 13th, 2012, 05:30 AM
I would try the gelatin. I cannot bring myself to put eggs in my hair. But those results are astounding!

RedheadMistress
August 13th, 2012, 10:10 AM
- Your hair looks freaking amazing ! Beautiful and big difference, heh I like the funny photos at the beginning -^^-
Ive tried the egg in my hair years ago but did the mistake of using hot water, I will try with cold and honey and oil !

BambooBeauty
August 13th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks!!! Im going to try this!

Amygirl8
August 13th, 2012, 12:42 PM
It looks great!
I'll have to try it =D

girlthursday
August 13th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments! :)

CharleaMurphy, mayonnaise? Isn't it smelly? But I guess it makes sense, it's just egg, oil, and vinegar, right?

spidermom, good to see you! :) I don't know exactly why I put it on my scalp. I figure it couldn't hurt and then I get all the roots.

swearnsue, it's so easy to put on saran wrap. I just make my hair into a bun on top of my head, then (with the saran still in the box) I hold the edge of it to my head and just wrap around a couple times keeping the tension on the saran wrap roll tight, and then just start at one edge of the saran wrap and box and cut it little by little on the edge with the razor. Don't try to do it all at once or it will squish together. Then I just pat down the middle (top of my head) so all the saran wrap clings to itself.

Arakazi, thanks for the egg shampoo recipes! I can't wait to try them. Have you ever used amla powder?
As for your try, I haven't ever used honey so that might have something to do with the gunkiness. My hair is well-clarified from the baking soda I use to wash occasionally. If you try it after clarifying, let us know the results!

Lissandria
August 13th, 2012, 05:16 PM
So shiny! :) I may have to try this- but the smell of raw eggs makes me queasy.

lmfbs
August 13th, 2012, 05:27 PM
I did the mask this morning and I am not 100% sure about my results to be honest I think I need a clarify and that would help a whole lot.

I did 2 eggs blended with 1.5tsp coconut oil and 1.5tsp honey.
I left it in my hair for about an hour and finished off with a vinegar rinse.

Pro's:
My hair looks shiny
feels stronger
feels very clean.

Con's:
Feels "gunky" (might be a bit of a contradiction from clean :P)

Like I said above I am in need of a clarify so I will try this again after that. :D

Protein isn't for everyone - or maybe you just didn't rinse it out well enough or something. I know this treatment on my hair would create havock, but it's made amazing difference for the OP!

Teazel
August 13th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Congratulations! It's always a thrill to find something that really works for your hair - even better if it's something you can make yourself! :D

Thea Evanda's Original Egg Shampoo Mix

1 teaspoon of honey
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
juice of 1 medium-sized lemon

The honey and the eggs should be scrambled very well, because the lemon juice can cause the egg white to flock without the honey.Add essential oils to change the smell or, if the shampoo is too drying, add up to two teaspoons of oil to step down the washing power.

You apply it to the hair just like normal shampoo (but it is very liquid, so it takes a bit of experimentation), let it sit for 5 minutes so the Lecithine can work its washing magic and rinse with lukewarm (38-40°C) water. Afterwards a nice cold rinse helps to add shine.

This is pretty much the recipe I use, but with less lemon juice, and the addition of a teaspoon of aloe vera. It works just as well as a clarifying shampoo, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. :)

Here's a tip: since I started to whiz my egg mixtures up with a stick blender I haven't found any bits of egg in my hair after washing. :rockerdud

blondie9912
August 13th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Amazing results! My hair did not enjoy eggs, but it seems you're onto something good!

girlthursday
August 13th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Teazel, I love the idea of using aloe vera. I'm going to have to try that. And the stick blender too.

BrightEyes
August 13th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Wow, what a difference it made. Your hair is beautiful, I love the colors:)

Hollyfire3
August 14th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Protein isn't for everyone - or maybe you just didn't rinse it out well enough or something. I know this treatment on my hair would create havock, but it's made amazing difference for the OP!

Exactly, protein from the egg+coconut oil to lock that protein in (or so it seems thats all coconut oil does for my hair) would equaly crunchy tangly and dry hair until I clarified and did a moisture treatment, but, I'm really glad the OP had such amazing resutls!

sakuraemily
August 14th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Yay!
I'd done this too this sunday and my hair looked really amazing too! I only skipped the honey because I won't let anything lightening touch my hair.
spidermom Putting it on the scalp won't harm your hair. also skin absorbs some of whatever is put on it so some of the egg nutrients will seep in.

girlthursday
August 14th, 2012, 10:53 AM
sakuraemily, you're hair is so shiny! Beautiful!

Arakazi
August 15th, 2012, 01:03 AM

To be honest I think you may be right. But the next day and today my hair feels amazing!! So perhaps it was a bit of a "wait n see" situation.. :shrug:

Arakazi
August 15th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Arakazi, thanks for the egg shampoo recipes! I can't wait to try them. Have you ever used amla powder?
As for your try, I haven't ever used honey so that might have something to do with the gunkiness. My hair is well-clarified from the baking soda I use to wash occasionally. If you try it after clarifying, let us know the results!

No I haven't used alma powder before, never actually heard about it. I'm still a bit of a noob :P Now two days later my hair feels great!! I am doing a clarify tonight and then an SMT I will do another egg mask (without honey this time) in a week and let you know how it goes :D

Calaelen
August 15th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I've been washing my hair with an egg wash for the past 6 years, it is the best thing for my hair.
I do 2 eggs and the de-pulped juice of a lemon. I also do gelatin masks when needed, or of I use a shampoo I dilute it with water and gelatin, and it just changes the whole formulation.

My hair loves protein, but hardly ever requires moisture.

angelgypsy
August 17th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Gorgeous results! I'm inspired to try this myself, hopefully I will get similar good results! I'll post after I've tried it.

Simone_Fatale
August 18th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Does anybody experience wavier hair after using this as a deep condish? It really made my natural waves break through, a rather nasty sight since I'm in the awkward stage of growing out a pixie. It made flat ironing a lot harder, so I don't think I'll be repeating it anytime soon.

legendya
August 18th, 2012, 02:31 AM
It looks nice! I was thinking of doing an egg wash on my next wash day.

angelgypsy
August 18th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Tried this last night, using 2 eggs, a heaping tbsp of mayo, a little honey and some coconut oil.

I put it on my hair when I got into the tub, clipped it up with a claw clip and did my other stuff. After about 20 minutes or so, I rinsed it out. This was in the evening, so i wore a towel for a while then went to sleep with my hair loose.

In the morning it was very smooth and after brushing it felt very nice. Today I made three braids and braided those together. But first impression is a good one. I think I will try this again in two weeks.

girlthursday
August 18th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Simone_Fatale, the egg has an opposite effect on my hair. It makes it smoothly straight.

Calaelen, have you noticed the lemon lightening your hair? What does it do for you hair? It sounds like an interesting combo.

Arakazi, amla powder seems like a really interesting product. I wonder how useful it is. (I hadn't heard of it either and I've been hanging around here for years.)

afu
August 18th, 2012, 06:46 PM
my hair normally hates protein but im tempted to try this! I love the colours of your hair by the way

Calaelen
August 18th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Calaelen, have you noticed the lemon lightening your hair? What does it do for you hair? It sounds like an interesting combo.

It hasn't lightened my hair at all, maybe because I only leave it in for half and hour then rinse it all away, no extra heat, or sunlight. It also could be because although I am a natural blonde, I colour my hair dark brown. I don't do whole head applications anymore, but do my roots as needed.

Simone_Fatale
August 19th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Simone_Fatale, the egg has an opposite effect on my hair. It makes it smoothly straight.

Oh, I wish it did that to my hair :/ How long do you wait before rinsing out? Do you shampoo or CO?

sakuraemily
August 19th, 2012, 04:10 AM
girlthursday thank you!Amla powder is something you find more in the herbal care section. It is the powder of the dried fruit of indian gooseberry.

Freda
August 19th, 2012, 06:27 AM
My first ever attempt at anything like this and oh yes what a difference it made.
Have since tried mayonaise......ok but not as good and have just made up a batch of gelatine stuff. Will have to wait for those results but the egg/oil (I used olive oil as I don't have any coconut oil) was fantastic.
thanks for the recipe

dragonmyst
August 19th, 2012, 03:59 PM
oooo I am so trying this tonight. My hair has been awful since we moved. Maybe this will help.

katfemme89
August 19th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I have tried protein treatments before, and it seems like every single time in the past, it has made my hairs cling together and extremely difficult to brush or comb, regardless of how much I rinsed. I guess my hair doesn't like protein. But seeing your results really makes me want to try this.... I don't know... :-/

mrs_coffee
August 20th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Wow, it looks great! My hair doesn't like protein (crunch city) but yours seems to love it. Really nice results.

angelgypsy
August 20th, 2012, 09:53 AM
My hair did not get crunchy or sticky at all. Very smooth. Seems my hispanic hair approved of the protein and likes eggs just fine. I am thinking that using a bit of mayo in my mix helped to emulsify the mix so that I had a smooth creamy liquid. As Suggested previously I also used my stick blender. Since I was in the tub I didn't wrap it, but next time i will, since it did drip quite a bit, but I seemed to have plenty.

As I said, I was well pleased with the results.