PDA

View Full Version : No Poo Question

xltorresx
August 12th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Hey, I'm new to all of this, and I'm considering going no poo. I was wondering what you guys use to get deep conditioning treatments or oil out of your hair? Does baking soda work for that?

sarah112786
August 12th, 2012, 09:08 AM
I always wonder the same thing! Good question! I always end up just using shampoo to get oil out even though I don't really want to. :-(

Dziip
August 12th, 2012, 09:09 AM
From my experice, Baking SOda defenitly works on oils and grease.

ravenreed
August 12th, 2012, 09:25 AM
CO removes oil from hair better than shampoo, in my experience. I am almost completely CO at this point, and only shampoo to remove buildup every 3 months or so.

dixid
August 12th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Baking soda removes oil treatments from my hair very well. Once or twice I've had to use an extra bs wash, but that was my fault for getting carried away with the oil.

Dziip
August 12th, 2012, 09:30 AM
You have to learn how much BK you need. Because it can dry your hair too.

xltorresx
August 12th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks for your replies girls :)

I think I probably over do it with the oil too, because I tried washing with conditioner and it didn't take very much of the oil off at all. So ill give the baking soda a try today :)

ravenreed
August 12th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Do you let the conditioner set for a bit? I slather mine on when I first hop in the shower. Then I wash everything, shave, etc., and by the time I get around to rinsing out the conditioner, it has removed all the excess oil. What I like it that it doesn't over strip my hair while doing it.

spidermom
August 12th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Conditioner removes heavy oilings from my length, too.

heidi w.
August 12th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks for your replies girls :)

I think I probably over do it with the oil too, because I tried washing with conditioner and it didn't take very much of the oil off at all. So ill give the baking soda a try today :)

Realize that you are essentially clarifying your hair.

heidi w.

HylianGirl
August 12th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I have not used shampoo on my hair for months, I CO wash and oil my hair, sometimes even using heavy pre-oil before washing, and as long as you leave the conditioner long enough (and well spread enough, make sure to cover all your hair strings) and rinse well afterwards, your hair won't be oily at all. And I also rarelly clarify, my hair doesn't really build up much.

kitschy
August 12th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Conditioner always gets heavy oil treatments out of my hair even better than shampoo.

dwell_in_safety
August 12th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Conditioner! Always. I use, at this length, about eight palmfuls (I use less if just CO-washing) to remove coconut oil, to make sure that my entire length from scalp to ends is saturated with it. Letting it sit in my hair for roughly half an hour before showering works like a charm. I apply it to dry (well, oiled) hair.

xltorresx
August 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Hmmm, maybe the conditioner I used is too heavy. I did have it for about 3 mins. Ill try the baking soda today and look out for a lighter conditioner next time I'm at the store.

spidermom
August 12th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Leave conditioner marinating for about half an hour if you can, but at least 10 minutes.

xltorresx
August 12th, 2012, 01:31 PM
OK thank you so much everyone :D

MeowScat
August 12th, 2012, 02:21 PM
My hair holds on to oil like glue. I put conditioner on my dry hair and then put a showercap on to keep the conditioner from drying out. I have to keep it on for a few hours but you might need less time. Experiment.

It also ends up giving me a nice deep conditioning treatment if I put a knit cap on over the showercap to keep it warm. But when I apply it to dry hair, it takes over 1/4 cup of conditioner which is a lot so I try to use a less expensive one when I do that.

Don't forget to gently massage it into your scalp to break up the oil there too.

Oh, if you're going to use Baking Soda, make sure you dilute it very well. I didn't the first time and it dried my hair something fierce. I had to deep condition it a lot after that.

Good luck and let us know if it works!

leylusha
August 12th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I second spidermom's suggestion to leave it on for a half hour (preferably under a showercap while you wash your body so the time flies by.) I usually do this but sometimes I go a little easier with the condish and let my hair keep some of the oil. Braid it and wash the rest out at next CO! But I have super breaky hair so I need all the protection I can get.