PDA

View Full Version : Evil eyeglasses

Kaelee
August 11th, 2012, 07:30 PM
I think I figured out why my hair is so damaged at the front and nowhere else- my GLASSES! They're the metal frame with the plastic ear pieces. There is a gap between frame and earpiece, and the edge is a little sharp there.

How can I make these safe for my hair? Has anyone else had this problem? I've never noticed it snagging, but it's the only thing I can think of that would be causing that much damage.

hairhair
August 11th, 2012, 08:26 PM
My glasses have a kind of rough edge; I'm careful always to slide them backwards rather than down in order to avoid snagging hair. However, most of where the glasses are in contact with my hair, is covered by the very soft, smooth earpiece.

Are your glasses actually broken (something snapped off, the earpiece sliding backwards to expose the sharp bit)? It sounds to me like that's an edge that shouldn't be exposed.

I'd recommend getting your glasses looked at by your optometrist, and possibly new earpieces put on. I remember getting my earpieces replaced as a kid (because I was only about six and used to, yes, chew them); if I recall correctly they just slipped them off and slid on new ones on the spot, so it shouldn't take long or be expensive. They might be able to put on longer earpieces that cover more of where the glasses are in contact with your hair.

Kaelee
August 11th, 2012, 08:29 PM
No, they're not broken, they're just built like that. And the earpieces "woggle" back and forth.

hairhair
August 11th, 2012, 08:31 PM
If the earpieces are moving, maybe they are loose/the wrong size. Also, hair could somehow be getting jammed/rubbed between the loose earpiece and the sharp edge.

Kaelee
August 11th, 2012, 08:36 PM
If the earpieces are moving, maybe they are loose/the wrong size. Also, hair could somehow be getting jammed/rubbed between the loose earpiece and the sharp edge.

Yea. They're definitely loose. IDK about the wrong size.

I'd like to fix this at home, if possible because my eye doctor is a good distance away!

torrilin
August 11th, 2012, 08:48 PM
No, I haven't ever had that problem, but...

I've been wearing glasses since I was teeny tiny. I've had it drilled into me to look for smooth frames with no bits that can snag anything. I'm pretty obsessive about looking for a good frame... and most of what is out there is just terrible. Weird shape for the lenses so they show how thick they are, decorative bits that snag hair, heavy, plastic that will crack... you name it, there's a frame that has the bad feature.

Since my face is quite round, but my prescription is stupidly strong, I look for metal frames with small, oval lenses (if you want thin looking lenses, the closer to a circle the better). I don't care how pretty it seems that the frame only goes part way around or something like that, because between my prescription and my hair, I NEED the frame to wrap the whole way 'round the lens. The joint between the front of the frame and the ear piece should be very secure and smooth. I generally go for titanium frames because anything else will weigh a ton after my lenses go in it. And the between each lens and the nose-piece should be smooth and free of any creativity. (I take a prescription of about 8.5 diopters... so the weight and construction matter a lot. I'm so blind it can be hard for me to see things like a shampoo bottle in the shower.)

Yes, it means my glasses are not particularly fashionable. I end up in extremely classic and simple styles because that's what works.

On the other hand, it does mean my glasses have been trouble free since I got brutal and just stopped trying for cute. Nothing that I think is cute or fashionable for a few moments at the optometrist's is going to still look pretty to me when I need to replace the frame after 2-5 years of 16/7 wear, nor will it hold up to the abuse I put it through.

Kaelee
August 11th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Yea, I didn't know to look for this when I got my glasses! And these frames have been the devil, too. They were trouble from day one!

I'll definitely know better next time.

Nae
August 11th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Here is a thread you may want to check out. You haven't been the first this this trouble. Darn glasses. I hope this helps!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=41430&highlight=eyeglasses

Kaelee
August 11th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the link Nae! I'll read it tomorrow. I'm thinking of getting some black thread or floss and wrapping the arms in that. I can do it securely and it won't be damaging to hair OR glasses.

These are the glasses in question:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/036-2.jpg

Bunnysaur
August 11th, 2012, 11:34 PM
I have a similar problem with my glasses. Hairs get caught in the hinge and then ripped out/broken when I take my glasses off. What I do is press the arms of my glasses inwards (so it puts pressure on the side of my head) before pulling them off. This opens the hinge and releases stuck hairs, so they don't get damaged.

I like your idea of wrapping it in thread, or you could even coat the area in a thick layer of clear nail polish to help smooth out the edges.

palaeoqueen
August 12th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I have a similar problem with my glasses. Hairs get caught in the hinge and then ripped out/broken when I take my glasses off. What I do is press the arms of my glasses inwards (so it puts pressure on the side of my head) before pulling them off. This opens the hinge and releases stuck hairs, so they don't get damaged.

This is exactly what I do, sometimes I forget then cringe at the sound of ripping hair...:(

KwaveT
August 12th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I have gotten lucky with my glasses then. I know to look for this when I get glasses in the future. Seam on mine isn't loose. I have been having trouble with glasses for an entirely different reason for last week due to my own ignorance. I started using hair band Monday and my ear has been getting majorly sore and hurting at point of contact at where glasses and hairband meet. I finally decided today to move the hairband further back on my head behind my glasses. Problem solved. If I only every problem was that easy.

elea
August 12th, 2012, 05:16 PM
my friend's glasses were getting caught in her hair so i filed down the sharp edges and glued the gap between the plastic and the metal bit (sorry, i do not know the correct words).
none of the "tempering" is visible and it did the trick. maybe it will help you too.

melusine963
August 12th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I used to have this problem all the time until I switched to glasses that don't have a join between the ear piece and the rest of the frame. :-/