PDA

View Full Version : S&D and split hair strands

Redhead Rebel
August 11th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Yesterday I did proper s&d for the first time, I knew my hair was damaged and i found at least 100 split ends.

I also found quite a few hairs that were split in the middle of the strand but not at the ends, I was just wondering what would cause this?

Also are the white dots at the end of hairs where it has broken off?

Kelikea
August 11th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I also get splits that are not on the ends. It is most likely friction damage or from ponytails. The white dots are usually breakage or a split about to happen.

Madora
August 12th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Yesterday I did proper s&d for the first time, I knew my hair was damaged and i found at least 100 split ends.

I also found quite a few hairs that were split in the middle of the strand but not at the ends, I was just wondering what would cause this?

Also are the white dots at the end of hairs where it has broken off?

Hair will split anywhere. Either from friction or rough handling or lack of moisture. The white dots are the precursor to the actual split end.

Sounds like your hair needs more moisture. You might want to consider using mineral oil (baby oil) to help keep your hair moisturized. Here's an article:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

The beauty of MO is that you need just a few drops on dampened hair. It is very lightweight and leaves your hair shiny, smooth and supple. Also is a great detangler and helps tame the frizzies.

Additionally, you might want to investigate using catnip rinses to fight those split ends:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

Redhead Rebel
August 12th, 2012, 04:30 PM
So it would be best to cut the white dots off before they start to split more then? I've tried using mineral oil for around 5 days now and it makes my hair feel really dry at the ends. Should I keep using it for a while or try something else? My hair really needs moisture and it likes leave in conditioners.

Madora
August 12th, 2012, 04:44 PM
So it would be best to cut the white dots off before they start to split more then? I've tried using mineral oil for around 5 days now and it makes my hair feel really dry at the ends. Should I keep using it for a while or try something else? My hair really needs moisture and it likes leave in conditioners.

Yes, Redhead Rebel, get those white dots eliminated before they begin to split. Just be SURE your S and D shears are sharp. If your scissors are dull, you'll just be sowing another crop of white dots.

Mineral oil on dampened hair helps keep in the moisture longer. You need to give it time to work. Also, it works best on hair that has been clarified first.

One last caution...over conditioning your hair can be just as counter productive as not conditioning enough. Try and limit yourself to one type of conditioning and stay with it. And only condition when your hair needs it. Too much conditioning coats the strands and can lead to buildup.