PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody ever tried this Alternative Braid?

OakTreeGirl
August 11th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I don't know what to call it other than an alternative braid, since that is what the person in this video calls it. As far as I know, she is the only person to have posted anything on the internet about this style.

http://www.beautylish.com/v/rmiwai/alternative-braid

Has anybody tried this out? Did you have good or bad experiences? Did you like the look? Anybody have pictures?

I did try it out myself, but I don't have a good camera to take pictures with. It seems to work better with a more messy or "tussled" look, which isn't really my style, but I still enjoy having another braid in my repertoire.

Rufflebutt
August 11th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I can't do it due to my layers atm. -grrrrrrr- But I am envious of how thick her hair is! Dear lord. It's marvelous!

LizTheLyre
August 12th, 2012, 03:24 AM
foiled by layers again!!!! but it looks fun and casual before it comes out. it took me a lot of playing with to get it to even work though... her instructions werent super clear.

freznow
August 12th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Isn't that just a loose side braid that has been pulled apart a bit?

EtherealDoll
August 12th, 2012, 03:46 AM

It looks like that to me too but the way that girl does the braid is different :confused:

PolarCathy
August 12th, 2012, 03:57 AM
I don't get what she's doing.

IndigoOptimist
August 12th, 2012, 04:03 AM
I've seen this technique before but can't remember that it's called. I think is was something along the lines of 'upside down braiding'... so something like that.
My hair isn't long enough to do that at the moment, but I can do two braids, one on either side and pull them apart like that :p

PolarCathy
August 12th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Here it's understandable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT6I2gjxTz0&feature=channel&list=UL

Kizuna
August 12th, 2012, 05:40 AM
I've never tried that before. It doesn't seem so hard to do and it looks pretty cool. I'll try it some day. The first video didn't work for me, but the youtube video had a good explanation :)

elea
August 12th, 2012, 07:20 AM
looks to me like a mix of roll, standard braid all done "messy"... there are a lot of fun these but a tutorial ??? just mix and match any kind of braids and you get your own unique one.
actually, they work the mess-best with layers as some ends just falloff randomly *:O)

florenonite
August 12th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Interesting.

It's not like any braid I've seen before, perhaps because there's no real braiding involved, but it looks cool and dead easy.

OakTreeGirl
August 12th, 2012, 09:37 AM
My hair is in layers too. I think mine looked okay, even though it had those sticky out ends in it, but it probably would look better with a more even hemline.

It's not any of the braids I know (english braid, rope braid, etc). What she's doing is twisting two strands of hair in opposite directions. Then she brings the two strands together, and divides the hair into two again, this time along a different axis. Then twists them again in opposite direction, and so on. As florenonite mentioned, I don't know if this really counts as a "braid" but it does create the look of a braid.

Peggy E.
August 12th, 2012, 10:06 AM
That's about one of the most complicated tutorials I've ever seen! Can't make it out at all - looked pretty, when done, but no way I could do it on my head with my hair. Or anyone else's hair, either!

Peggy E.
August 12th, 2012, 10:07 AM
My hair is in layers too. I think mine looked okay, even though it had those sticky out ends in it, but it probably would look better with a more even hemline.

It's not any of the braids I know (english braid, rope braid, etc). What she's doing is twisting two strands of hair in opposite directions. Then she brings the two strands together, and divides the hair into two again, this time along a different axis. Then twists them again in opposite direction, and so on. As florenonite mentioned, I don't know if this really counts as a "braid" but it does create the look of a braid.

So you're saying it's really "multiple twists" or something? Actually, the way you describe it makes sense!

spidermom
August 12th, 2012, 10:29 AM
A loose braid left down like that drives me crazy with all the little ends that pop out and tickle my neck.