PDA

View Full Version : How do different hairstyles make you feel?

CurlyNinja
August 6th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I feel a little different through the day if I'm wearing a more prim, staid hairstyle than if I'm wearing something more loose and romantic. Same for a braid, same for wearing my hair down. They all give me a slightly different feeling.

With my hair down, I feel younger and sexier; a braid makes me feel sweeter, more patient, and more like an "Indian lady" rather than an "Indian girl." Buns can go the tight-and-prim way or the looser-and-romantic way and I think I play more to those parts when I'm wearing them.

Just like if I'm dressed sexier for a night out I feel more adventurous and excited, and when I'm dressed more professionally for work I feel more professional. A t-shirt and jeans sets the tone for being relaxed and casual. I guess hairstyles are no different!

How do different hairstyles affect your mood, and which make you feel which ways?

Curlsgirl
August 6th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I could have described the way I feel with the styles you said almost exactly the same way with the exception of any bun. They make me feel sort of older and stiffer not sure why. That is why I don't wear them that much I guess.

Chromis
August 6th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Buns make me feel poised and put together which is my preferred state, ditto with most other updos.

Loose hair makes me feel more casual but also more cautious at the same time since I have to keep making sure it isn't getting caught in anything. On windy days or anytime I have strands blowing in my face it is irritating.

Single braids feel great to my scalp but get annoying in chairs.

Pig tails make me feel very hippy.

False crown braids make me feel like a princess :pegasus:

sahiba
August 7th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I too feel sexy in open hair.:cloud9: When I make buns after doing a half up I feel more formal, while buns without them make me feel more casual as they are meant for my daily wear.Braids tell me its time to hit the sack.:wink:

Aisha25
August 7th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Single long braid makes me feel feminine. I dont wear any other style:-(

Rapunzelwannabe
August 7th, 2008, 12:53 AM
It really depends for me, some days I feel dull when my hair's down, other days it makes me feel confident and sexy. But I can get that same feeling when I'm hanging out around the house and I put my hair in a loose bun (that I can never seem to recreate when I want it). Pigtail braids make me feel playful when their loose, younger when their tight, and a single braid, french or english makes me feel in charge and proffessional- at least until I feel it coming apart.

butterflykisses
August 7th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I agreeeee.. With my hair down and a little crazy or curly, I definatel feel sexy, whereas a french braid or a tighter bun makes me feel a little ore prim and proper... and professional!

A loose bun can still make me feel casual or even a little sexy. whenever my hair is a little crazy I feel totally hot... hah =)

mellie
August 7th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Double ponytails make me feel fun and young!

goldenwaves
August 7th, 2008, 01:30 AM
I LOVE half-ups, they make me feel like a goddess :)

Calanthe
August 7th, 2008, 01:34 AM
A cinnabun makes me feel slightly scruffy - it's a style I normally only wear around the house or after washing my hair. Sort of informal.

Two braids and I feel like a little girl again - that's why I don't wear two braids.

A bun worn low on my head and I'm terribly classy. It's the style I used to wear for dressage meetings.

Hair hanging down is just annoying.

Odangos and I feel like a freak ;). I like that hairstyle but I almost never wear it, at least not in public.

sahiba
August 7th, 2008, 01:51 AM
[QUOTE=Calanthe;220809]

A bun worn low on my head and I'm terribly classy. It's the style I used to wear for dressage meetings.

For low bun what parting do you use :oops: sorry for the highjack.

Elainehali
August 7th, 2008, 03:31 AM
I like to leave the tips of my hair out of the bun to keep things feeling a little less stiff.

Also some fun earrings help. ^.^

Calanthe
August 7th, 2008, 05:39 AM
[quote=Calanthe;220809]

For low bun what parting do you use :oops: sorry for the highjack.

I use either a middle parting, so that my ears are covered. Now, that sounds silly but I can't explain it better. Think of a Spanish lady. Or I use no parting at all, just gather all hair in the nape and then bun it.

toodramatik
August 7th, 2008, 06:08 AM
I only feel truly good about my hair if I'm wearing it in its' most natural state- down and unbrushed and whatever. Otherwise I fuss with it too much and I drive myself mad.

Haith
August 7th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Wearing my hair loose outside makes me feel like an earth goddess. When its down, I feel like I'm drawing attention towards myself so this tends to be on my more confident, sexy days.
Wearing my hair up in a bun makes me feel more like blending in, just calm and a little serious.
Braids are for when I'm working or active, so I tend to feel full of energy.
I guess I go to certain hairstyles for certain activities. Whether I feel a certain way because of my hairstyle, or I wear my hair a certain way because of how I'm feeling, I am unsure. There is definately a connection, though.

Stagecoach
August 7th, 2008, 07:15 AM
I tend to not like attention being focuse on me, so when I wear my hair down, it's usually when I feel aloof enough to withstand all the looks and comments I hear behind my back.

In piggy braids, I feel like a 5 year old.

A single braid makes me feel rather rushed... thats my 'I dont' have time to do my hair but can't be bothered with it down' style.

A cinna bun plain or doctored up makes me feel very classy, confident and put together. I like that feeling so it's my default style.

All buns in various degrees make me feel like /\ I've never mastered a loose bun though.

Heidi braids (or fake crown braids) make me feel like Queen... very mature and elegant.

EbonyCurls
August 7th, 2008, 07:58 AM
When I wear my hair up I feel very sophisticated and regal, sometimes self-conscious though because I feel so "open" that everyone can see all sides of my face.
When I wear my hair down I feel carefree, sometimes glamorous depending on what I'm wearing.

neenerbabe
August 7th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Odangos and I feel like a freak ;). I like that hairstyle but I almost never wear it, at least not in public. What's odangos? :confused:

Chromis
August 7th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Meatballs, like you see commonly on anime like Sailor Moon: http://images.google.ca/images?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=odangos&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

wintersun99
August 7th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Samikha
August 7th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Chinese buns and braided buns make me feel very...err...it's hard to describe. I feel confident, like I can handle most things that come my way, and also professional, like I would come out on top and looking good out of them. Pretty, but not like I tried too hard.

Twisty buns mostly make me feel pretty comfortable and flexible -
especially since I tend to redo these over and over during the day!

Braids make me feel classical and understated, relaxed. It's a good way to wear hair when you're not fussing with anything and can be yourself.

Loose hair leaves me feeling very free and a bit flirty, not very serious at all.

Crown braids make me feel very accomplished when I manage the damn things:D And unusual, and creative, and approachable.
Halfups make me feel like an Elf ^^

LaurelSpring
August 7th, 2008, 11:14 AM
hair down.....amore!

hair up...confident, poised, graceful, together

Peggy E.
August 7th, 2008, 11:40 AM
The clothes we gravitate to, the hairstyles we fashion, even the shoes we don, are all outer accoutrements of our inner true selves, our moods, our personalities - what we like and find attractive.

Of course, we sometimes have to contain our true identities when we are in certain situations, say a workplace where purple streaks in bright gold hair would be "frowned upon." But when left to our own devices, we face our world wearing expressions of ourselves.

It may well be that the hairstyle isn't what inspires our behavior, our mood, but we've worn the style because we were in this mood.

Know what I mean?!

Eireann
August 7th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Funny you should mention it. I'm wearing my hair in a low chignon and I feel like a ballerina!

Hair down makes me feel like a rock star.

Pigtails make me feel sporty--I usually wear them for camping or skiing.

Single braid makes me feel like a hippie.

French twist makes me feel chic and elegant.

High messy bun makes me feel romantic.

Xi
August 7th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I like this thread! I've thought about this question often.

Hair up (especially a tight updo) makes me feel rational, focussed, and decisive. I always wear it up when writing a math or science exam (and of course in labs).

Hair down makes me feel dreamy and relaxed and thoughtful. I tend to speak less with my hair down, and listen more.

I'm not sure which state is more like myself! Isn't that strange? I'm glad to have the option to experience both, though; hurray for long hair! :)

Peggy E.'s explanation makes a lot of sense; perhaps sometimes it is a combination -- we adopt a particular hairstyle because we know it will enhance the mood we want to create?

I wonder if short-haired people around us notice these mood shift/hairstyle shift correlations?

ajr
August 7th, 2008, 10:29 PM
See lately when I go out at night it's hair in a low bun, a few wispies around the face and either smoky eyes or flaming red lips. It's getting to the point where I just feel sexier with my hair up.

Loose and free is more sensual and relaxed.

Braids are for working out and sleeping, they tend to make me feel and look very young.

Figure 8 is my work hair and I always feel polished when I have my hair in one.

beyondcute
August 7th, 2008, 10:39 PM
When its down and straight I feel so "it." Young, flirty, fun, pretty. I just feel like today is my day!

When its bunned I feel so boring. I feel like I should be working or very serious.

When its out and curly I feel like a kid. Uninhibited. Hippy-ish.

I dont have enough hair to wear in one big braid. :( I'll get there though!

I prefer it straight and curled by some type of appliance (curlers, curlilng iron, etc) but I know its unhealthy for my hair. Can we say internal conflict?

Periwinkle
August 9th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Having my hair in a ponytail with a part makes me feel like I'm still in primary school. That's how I always wore my hair (and I am NEVER going to do that again!!!).

Having my hair loose makes me feel like I'm undressed: I never ever ever ever wear it down, so it's only that way when I'm getting ready.

pariate
August 9th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I feel like an earth-child when my hair is loose, especially when the curls are well-defined! It's my favourite feeling.

Some styles make me feel all sorts of things, depending on how I'm dressed with that hairstyle, if that makes sense?! Half-ups usually make me feel very young and girly though. I have to be very careful with braids and buns - if I don't pin the front of my hair carefully then my hair is pulled back from my face too much and I don't like that. I think I need a bit more shape to my hair around my face, otherwise I look too plain and stern.

Shanarana
August 9th, 2008, 02:23 PM
What a good thread....

Hair down looking good makes me feel the best, young, confident and sexy.
Buns make me feel put together and are best for me at work.
Pony tails make me feel playful, and casual.
Braids are something I usually wear when going to bed, or hanging out at home.

Tangles
August 9th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Ooh I love this thread!

Hair down (wavy--60% of the time) I feel, well, natural and free.
Hair down straight (5% of the time) I feel more modern and classy.
Hair down (curly) I feel most confident with smooth-but-curly hair, probably because my hair likes to curl, and it looks better damp bunned than just air dried and wavy.

Hair up in a bun--confident, like no one can get in my way.
Hair in a high ponytail or two braids--girlish.
Hair in a french braid--practical yet romantic.
Hair in a high bun--I feel unique (in a good way)

Marcipangris
August 10th, 2008, 12:50 AM
This is very interesting!
down: I feel relaxed
ponytail: I feel like playing soccer or volleyball

Elanor
August 10th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I feel "wild and free" and confident when I'm wearing my hair down, especially if it's all fresh and wavy.
Braided high ponytail makes me feel very sporty for some reason and french braid makes me feel kinda cute and girly.
Buns feel different depending on what kind of bun and clothes I'm wearing. They can feel sophisticated, professional, sexy or cosy :p

Seraphina
August 10th, 2008, 02:59 AM
My default style is a single braid and it's what I wear to school and outdoors,so wearing my hair down very rarely happens.When it does,I feel very carefree and even a bit of a hippie! I generally wear buns in more serious situations,so I tend to feel that way wearing them too.

Sudenmorsian
August 10th, 2008, 04:11 AM
I've had a complete formal hairdo made by a professional for maybe 2 times in my life so whenever I have it (spiral curls and so on), I definitely feel like a princess!

A ponytail with two elastics makes me feel like I'm going to sleep or otherwise very lazy (I used to put it like for the night but nowadays it's too long for that and gets tangly if I don't braid it).

Whenever I bother to make a high ponytail, I just have to gather every single strand into it and brush everything flat (heehee, that's just me, can't stand messyness in this case). That makes me somehow very aware of the shape of my head and feel a bit like a model (not that I've been a model, I just imagine what it would like to be one).

I wear my hair down without any type of elastics very seldom so when I do, all I can feel is "omg, have to tie it now or otherwise it gets stuck everywhere". At the moment, low braid is the everyday look and feels like that, too.

Finoriel
August 10th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Just a thought...
but is it really the hairstyle which makes you feel a certain way or is it more like choosing a hairstyle which somehow mirrors your mood?

When I´m in a do_not_mess_with_me mood in the morning I choose another style than I would do for a lazy day or an extrovert day for example. So for me it´s definitely the other way round :wink: