PDA

View Full Version : Question About Split Ends

mckenzie
August 11th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Since joining LHC i have soaked up information like a sponge & have quickly realized that in order for me to obtain long hair, I first have to see to it that it is healthy. I have only been here a short while & I'm just this week starting to feel my hair is slightly softer & a little shinier. The under-layer of my length is radically better looking than the top. unfortunately the top-layer is all that is really showing, leaving me with hair that looks downright damaged and frizzy. Today I decided to do my first S&D only to realize that I have no split ends. I kept at it for a good half hour but could not find any.
So my question is : How is it possible for my hair to be so damaged, while not having any split ends? Did my hair already break off, so I can't see where the split ends or white dots used to be? Sorry if this seems ignorant, I'm just trying to do everything I can to help my hair get healthy.

Thanks!

DinaAG
August 11th, 2012, 11:14 AM
u sure u r on healthy diet and eating good rich food? having stress? coz this can ruin the best hair ever..

lilliemer
August 11th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Maybe you have build up making your ends seem crunchy. You could try clarifying followed by a moisture treatment and see if that helps. There are lots of threads on this subject - how to know if you have to do it and how to moisturize afterwards - to guide you. Good luck!

mckenzie
August 11th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Hi- Well my diet is good, and I'm not particularly stressed. I was just curious as to why my hair has no split ends. I was under the impression that all damaged hair had this... And if there's no breakage, why does it look so damaged...

florenonite
August 11th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Your top layer in your siggy pic doesn't look damaged to me, and it has a healthy shine. IMO it looks a little dry (maybe try an SMT?) and like it's trying to be wavier. Do you comb when it's wet/damp? If so, you may be stifling some waves.

mckenzie
August 11th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Your top layer in your siggy pic doesn't look damaged to me, and it has a healthy shine. IMO it looks a little dry (maybe try an SMT?) and like it's trying to be wavier. Do you comb when it's wet/damp? If so, you may be stifling some waves.

I do comb and brush while its air-drying. Maybe my hair is just extremely dry? I'm going to try some heavy conditioning, and SMT's. Thanks!

ravenreed
August 11th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Define what you mean by damage? If there is no breakage and no split ends, what makes you think that there is damage? Perhaps you just need to clarify?

mckenzie
August 11th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Define what you mean by damage? If there is no breakage and no split ends, what makes you think that there is damage? Perhaps you just need to clarify?

My hair just looks crappy. Plus there seems to be a halo around my head , especially around ear-length, which I presumed was breakage from wearing constant ponytails.
Also my hair is just not "swooshy" at all. The top-layer seems to be of a completely different texture then my under-layer, if I don't constantly brush it(which I don't), it looks like cotton-candy.

domisimone
August 11th, 2012, 12:16 PM
It's probably fizzing because it's dry and trying to be wavier than it is. Maybe if you looked into COwashing or CWC?

mckenzie
August 11th, 2012, 12:18 PM
It's probably fizzing because it's dry and trying to be wavier than it is. Maybe if you looked into COwashing or CWC?

I tried CO washing, but found that it increased shedding a lot. But I will try CWC! Thanks!

ravenreed
August 11th, 2012, 12:19 PM
If it is breakage, I would think that there would be white dots or splits there. What you may have is regrowth. Are the ends tapered? If so, that is most likely new hairs growing in. Also, it is normal to have more than one texture on your head. My underlayer is much finer than any hair elsewhere on my head, and is the first to get split ends. I have to baby it more or it dreads.

Again, I suggest a nice clarifying wash, and then see what things look like. Perhaps build up is making your hair react oddly.

My hair just looks crappy. Plus there seems to be a halo around my head , especially around ear-length, which I presumed was breakage from wearing constant ponytails.
Also my hair is just not "swooshy" at all. The top-layer seems to be of a completely different texture then my under-layer, if I don't constantly brush it(which I don't), it looks like cotton-candy.

mckenzie
August 11th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Ravenreed- That's what I thought too, that there would be splits or white dots! If it is regrowth, I would be so happy! I have to figure out if they are tapered. Thanks!

domisimone
August 11th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I tried CO washing, but found that it increased shedding a lot. But I will try CWC! Thanks!

No problem! Glad I could help!

Pearly~91
August 11th, 2012, 12:55 PM
One thing real quick, if you use -cones they can actually kinda 'glue' your splits back together, so I would try clarifying and then check for splits again.

But, if that does not reveal split ends, then I would say the top layer is probably dry or sun damaged. I have a similar situation to yours, and one of my problems is that my hair is actually more wavy than I thought (I'm kinda in denial :p ) and also the top layer is finer, so it shows the wave more and dries out easier.

Asprettyasme
August 11th, 2012, 01:07 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

jeanniet
August 11th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I'd suspect that your hair is quite a bit wavier than you think--that's typically what a lot of frizz means! Have you done hair typing where you clarify, let it air dry, and then type it? You may find that you're around a 2b.

Dziip
August 11th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Hi !
When I started to check on my hair and take care of it, I wasn't really able to tell that I had split ends. They were "really" high in my hair and I was looking the extremities only.
Could this be an explanation for your question ?

spirals
August 11th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Maybe the ponytail damage is actually frizz 'cause you're a wavy. That would also be why you get "cotton candy" when you brush. I do. And I usually have a healthier layer underneath 'cause it's less exposed. But I can relate to you in that when I get the frizz under control, I still have damaged-feeling ends. They feel/sound like hay, yet I rarely see a split end. I can braid all the way down and the feel of my hair changes at the last inch and a half. The ends are just really dry, and I've tried oils, leave-ins, etc. I am largely off silicones, but maybe I should go back, since my ends didn't feel dry.

spirals
August 11th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Hi !
When I started to check on my hair and take care of it, I wasn't really able to tell that I had split ends. They were "really" high in my hair and I was looking the extremities only.
Could this be an explanation for your question ?

It's plausible, but not true for me. I can look at a whole hair and see nothing. Maybe that's the case for the OP. If so, I don't know what we should do.

Dziip
August 11th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I'm glad this is not your issue :)

OP : original poster ?

gillybeanxo3921
August 11th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I used to have the same problem, but when I started using coconut oil it wasn't as bad. That's just my experience, though. Usually coconut oil helps me out a lot hahah

Good luckk ;D

lapushka
August 11th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I'd suspect that your hair is quite a bit wavier than you think--that's typically what a lot of frizz means! Have you done hair typing where you clarify, let it air dry, and then type it? You may find that you're around a 2b.

^^ Agree! If you don't want to hairtype, try using the Curly Girl method (http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair) to find out whether or not the frizz is actually waves waiting to come out (in which case, do not brush it dry as it might poof out - maybe that's what you consider damage).